ADVERTISEMENT

Doctors on here

i am herdman

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Mar 5, 2006
A friend of mine's doc gave them a ivermectin prescription and they don't have Covid. He gave it to them to have ready in case they get Covid.

Had it made up at a compounding pharmacy. Told him if you get it take it.

Thoughts? Does that stuff really work?

If so, why are doctors not using it more?

A friend of mine's doc gave them a ivermectin prescription and they don't have Covid. He gave it to them to have ready in case they get Covid.

IMO there is no strong evidence it works. UMinnesota is running a well designed trial to test it. I hope we get some data from it but last I checked it was still enrolling.

IMO the pfizer drug (you can even call if Pfizermectin if it helps) efficacy will dwarf anything like Ivermectin or any other repurposed drug like fluvoxamine.

Caveat: I'm not a covid treatment expert though. I do know how to write, conduct, and analyze clinical trials though.

IMO there is no strong evidence it works. UMinnesota is running a well designed trial to test it. I hope we get some data from it but last I checked it was still enrolling.

IMO the pfizer drug (you can even call if Pfizermectin if it helps) efficacy will dwarf anything like Ivermectin or any other repurposed drug like fluvoxamine.

Caveat: I'm not a covid treatment expert though. I do know how to write, conduct, and analyze clinical trials though.
What about famotidine since that’s the newest drug du jour

I’m not a doctor but the last thing I saw on ivermectin and Covid is that the trials that show efficacy have primarily come from regions of the world with a lot of parasitic worms.

Corticosteroids are often used to treat severe Covid cases, but they weaken the immune system, which if you have parasitic worms means they are more likely to spread.

Ivermectin kills parasitic worms. So the efficacy may be due to that.

Doc, have you seen that analysis and does it make sense?

I’m not a doctor but the last thing I saw on ivermectin and Covid is that the trials that show efficacy have primarily come from regions of the world with a lot of parasitic worms.

Corticosteroids are often used to treat severe Covid cases, but they weaken the immune system, which if you have parasitic worms means they are more likely to spread.

Ivermectin kills parasitic worms. So the efficacy may be due to that.

Doc, have you seen that analysis and does it make sense?

yes. There is some in vivo activity against covid, but petri dish stuff doesn't mean much.

So many confounders. This is why you run well done randomized trials. It controls for both known and unknown variables with randomization.

I will say that I was frustrated to see people on both extremes, either shitting on ivermectin or touting it as a cure all. It at least passed IRB to get an arm on a randomized trial, so it's reasonable IMO to Rx it on clinical trial.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT