ADVERTISEMENT

DONT OPEN.....

I am not part of the plane crash generation. Went to my first game in 1985. I was hooked at that point. I didnt even know about the plane crash until many years later.

Like your group, mine is dwindling, not due to death, but due to life. I get frustrated with them as well. Not because they sometimes get sick, or sometimes have work, or sometimes have weddings, or sometimes have other things. But because those things arent always reasons to not come. They are just reasons when we play Gardner Webb, or FIU, or a non big type of a game.

That is where my frustration lies.
I think we all get frustrated Aaron and we want more butts in seats. I wish we had the answer. My first game was in 1969 against OU. I was a ball boy in 75. Been a BG member since 89.
Used to have season tickets in 110 but our kids playing sports, travel sports took those away. Now we sit in 107 when we get tickets.
Now my job and travel prevent us from going to every game. We just buy singles now.
Point being, time changes situations and it seems like a different world these days.

Social media and TV have killed attendance. It's a world of convenience these days and if fans aren't hard core like those of us on the board, they aren't going to attend unless it works for them. It's sad and it sucks, wish we could something to change that. The students are my biggest issue but again, too many other "distractions" take away their interest.

Marshall has its work cut out for it in trying to figure out how to change the behavior patterns of fans and get them back in the fold and in the Joan/Cam.

So. Because I am not ready to fire a coach 17 games into his tenure, then I must be ok with everything.

Because I think beating Notre Dame with this allegedly bad team led by an allegedly bad coach, is actually a HUGE accomplishment, then I must be ok with the last two weeks?

Because I realize that every program has 85 scholarship players and a fully paid coaching staff all pushing towards the same goal, and sometimes we come up on the short end, then I must be ok with the last two weeks?

Because I still go to games, then I must be ok with the last two weeks?

Because I rip on people for being "conditional fans" then I must be ok with losing two games.

Because I, like you, have watched sports my entire life and realize that these same story lines happen throughout the country regardless of the sport being played, then I must be ok with the last two weeks?

We are 3 - 2 with a win over an, at that time, top ten team in the country, and two road losses. One in which we dominated most of the game but lost in a place we never win, and the other against a team that is actually turning out to be pretty good (using your barometer of knowing how good a team is this early in the year.)

I consistently defend YOUR program.

You inconsistently, and hypocritically, and all over the board changing week by week do NOT defend MY program.

If that is what constitutes someone acting like a "super fan" then so be it.

GO HERD!!!!!

It's awesome that you love Marshall. I love Marshall just as much as you. You are a condescending jerk in alot of posts because you think we should just shut up and watch a subpar product and be happy. If we do not view it your way then we are bad fans. Just because someone complains or blows off some steam doesn't make them a bad fan. Marshall needs bad, good and fans like you.

Seventeen years and 1 conference title you are going to not gain very many fans. Thats why the heat is already on Huff. You can feel, smell and taste the apathy from the fans that do remain. You, like me, only want whats best for MU. 5 more years of barely eligible teams or losing seasons will finish off the program for the foreseeable future. The time is now! It has to happen this year or next.

It's awesome that you love Marshall. I love Marshall just as much as you. You are a condescending jerk in alot of posts because you think we should just shut up and watch a subpar product and be happy. If we do not view it your way then we are bad fans. Just because someone complains or blows off some steam doesn't make them a bad fan. Marshall needs bad, good and fans like you.

Seventeen years and 1 conference title you are going to not gain very many fans. Thats why the heat is already on Huff. You can feel, smell and taste the apathy from the fans that do remain. You, like me, only want whats best for MU. 5 more years of barely eligible teams or losing seasons will finish off the program for the foreseeable future. The time is now! It has to happen this year or next.
Truth be told, it's actually fans like Perkins who turn off other potential fans. The holier than thou attitude displayed by Perkins is a reason why many potential fans couldn't care less any longer if the Herd happens to win or lose. Bottom line, Perkins is an asshole clad in green.

Truth be told, it's actually fans like Perkins who turn off other potential fans. The holier than thou attitude displayed by Perkins is a reason why many potential fans couldn't care less any longer if the Herd happens to win or lose. Bottom line, Perkins is an asshole clad in green.
throw-a-grenade-avori.gif

A tradition unlike any other.
Attendance bitching.
Fans moved for jobs/have kids in stuff/have options to watch previously unavailable.
Add in financial variables and easy to see how you get to the median.
2 DII games is trash too.

As I stated in another thread, there is a big difference between adult fandom and the desire and ability to discuss the team, warts and all; and childish super-fandom, where you just yell “Marshall” really loudly and complain that everyone doesn’t accept whatever is put before us as great. Thinking whatever is painted the team’s colors is “awesome” is pure Spamite thinking. We are better than that.

I love Marshall. I also know that, best case scenario, wetting the bed by being unprepared for two losing programs, pissed away what could have been a special once in a lifetime season and, more likely, is a sign that we will lose yet more games and not even go to a bowl. Those two things are not incompatable.

I love Marshall. I also know that DD is a retired HS coach who is putting in minimum effort and has a .500 record against truly awful schedules and in truly bottom level conferences. Those two things are not incompatable.

I love Marshall. I also have seen 50 announcements of a baseball park and will not buy into announcement #51 until I at least see construction going on. Those two things are not incompatable.

I love Marshall. I also am deeply hurt and offended by CH’s statements about my city. Like everyone else in sports, he should stick to sports and stay out of politics. Those two things are not incompatable.

The live gate was a reaction to an unacceptable two weeks of play, the coach’s dumb statement, a second I-AA outmatched team, and the general malaise that surrounds the program

The rah-rah stuff is for children.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Fans moved for jobs/have kids in stuff/have options to watch previously unavailable.
In 1999, for the best MU team in school history, we drew a little over 28K average attendance... That season there were four games on national TV, the rest were on WSAZ, and streaming was not a thing. So basically, unless you went to the game, or lived within 90 minutes or so of Huntington, you didn't see it.

We had a 13-0 team, ranked in the top 20 much of the year, and you had to go to the game in person to watch it... And we drew 28K.

This year we are 3-2 (1-2 against FBS teams) and our last game was against FCS Gardner Webb in the rain. Said game was streamed all over the world and was watchable literally anywhere if you have the ESPN app on your phone.

In 1999, for the best MU team in school history, we drew a little over 28K average attendance... That season there were four games on national TV, the rest were on WSAZ, and streaming was not a thing. So basically, unless you went to the game, or lived within 90 minutes or so of Huntington, you didn't see it.

We had a 13-0 team, ranked in the top 20 much of the year, and you had to go to the game in person to watch it... And we drew 28K.

This year we are 3-2 (1-2 against FBS teams) and our last game was against FCS Gardner Webb in the rain. Said game was streamed all over the world and was watchable literally anywhere if you have the ESPN app on your phone.
The 1998 team would have beaten the 1998 team, IMHO! But your point is well taken overall college football attendance is down. In my current neck of the woods , UK has empty seats and Louisville will have more empty seats than butts in them from here on out! I do think the sparse crowd Saturday was somewhat influenced by the opponent not sure people want to see multiple FCS teams on the slate.

The 1998 team would have beaten the 1998 team, IMHO! But your point is well taken overall college football attendance is down. In my current neck of the woods , UK has empty seats and Louisville will have more empty seats than butts in them from here on out! I do think the sparse crowd Saturday was somewhat influenced by the opponent not sure people want to see multiple FCS teams on the slate.
I agree the 98 team would beat the 98 team lol

AP: Preach it brother….the infrastructure for Monster Sports Programs are in place and more to come in financial support which I can not disclose now for reasons of privacy and confidentiality. So don’t ask!
Let’s do what we can individually and just continue to support because everything counts big or little adds up just remember the penny theory in the end you win! Now pray!

Yea, but only taking a game in live can you experience the magical poo smears!

As I stated in another thread, there is a big difference between adult fandom and the desire and ability to discuss the team, warts and all; and childish super-fandom, where you just yell “Marshall” really loudly and complain that everyone doesn’t accept whatever is put before us as great. Thinking whatever is painted the team’s colors is “awesome” is pure Spamite thinking. We are better than that.

I love Marshall. I also know that, best case scenario, wetting the bed by being unprepared for two losing programs, pissed away what could have been a special once in a lifetime season and, more likely, is a sign that we will lose yet more games and not even go to a bowl. Those two things are not incompatable.

I love Marshall. I also know that DD is a retired HS coach who is putting in minimum effort and has a .500 record against truly awful schedules and in truly bottom level conferences. Those two things are not incompatable.

I love Marshall. I also have seen 50 announcements of a baseball park and will not buy into announcement #51 until I at least see construction going on. Those two things are not incompatable.

I love Marshall. I also am deeply hurt and offended by CH’s statements about my city. Like everyone else in sports, he should stick to sports and stay out of politics. Those two things are not incompatable.

The live gate was a reaction to an unacceptable two weeks of play, the coach’s dumb statement, a second I-AA outmatched team, and the general malaise that surrounds the program

The rah-rah stuff is for children.
You forgot one....

I love Marshall and I promised to be a fan of NM St.

Yes. You claimed this team, this coach wasn't for you last season. Stop pretending this season that you suddenly care. Move on hypocrite.

Reactions: 19MU88
I'm still stoked for the rest of the season. It's not lost like everyone makes it out to be. We literally could win every game the rest of the season and we would still be hearing about the BG and Troy loss. Be grateful we have a team. Get up, stay positive. Personally, I can't wait to slam my office door next Wednesday to head to the Blackout at the Joan. The players are going to be pumped. I am already pumped. I hope we can give them that 12th man edge they desire. I'll have trouble speaking Thursday, but who cares. This is HERD country!!

giphy.gif

Last edited:
No, not really. I was there in 120. It was miserable. The older fans wont come in bad weather. There may have been 50 students there, they left at half time. There is nothing to keep the crowd engaged. It's a cluster bomb. At one point, the speakers were playing Sweet Caroline, the crowd was into it and singing, then at the same time, the cheerleaders try to get the WAM chant started while the music is playing. It's hilariously bad and sad at the same time.
Nailed it. In-game production is abysmal and has been for some time.

I get the super-fan mentality and wanting to be there all the time. However, college football shouldn’t be priority #1 on any Saturday much less a Saturday like the last. I’m at every game, but I do not expect others to have the same misplaced priority on amateur/college athletics that I do. That’s absurd. A person should be able to stay home with their kids or go to their soccer games, even spend an evening with their wife if that’s what they want to do. Those things are more important than a college football game. In fact, most things are. We have fewer people in general than these big time programs, I’m okay with that.
It’s a great time to be in Huntington on gameday, but most of our fans don’t live in Huntington. It isn’t as easy as walking out the door and being at the stadium and then right back home. They have more important things going on or don’t want to travel to sit in awful weather, good for them.

I’m on board with Aaron to try to encourage people to get to the games, but I will stop there. I don’t blame someone for not driving 4-8 hours round trip in one day to watch a glorified exhibition college football game in miserable weather after two embarrassing losses.

Nailed it. In-game production is abysmal and has been for some time.

I get the super-fan mentality and wanting to be there all the time. However, college football shouldn’t be priority #1 on any Saturday much less a Saturday like the last. I’m at every game, but I do not expect others to have the same misplaced priority on amateur/college athletics that I do. That’s absurd. A person should be able to stay home with their kids or go to their soccer games, even spend an evening with their wife if that’s what they want to do. Those things are more important than a college football game. In fact, most things are. We have fewer people in general than these big time programs, I’m okay with that.
It’s a great time to be in Huntington on gameday, but most of our fans don’t live in Huntington. It isn’t as easy as walking out the door and being at the stadium and then right back home. They have more important things going on or don’t want to travel to sit in awful weather, good for them.

I’m on board with Aaron to try to encourage people to get to the games, but I will stop there. I don’t blame someone for not driving 4-8 hours round trip in one day to watch a glorified exhibition college football game in miserable weather after two embarrassing losses.
I get it. It’s hard being a fan of Marshall. Probably time to quit pretending we are FBS. We could dominate the FCS.

If we drop down far enough, we could bring back the old “Beat Harvey High” cheer.
D2 is definitely an option. Htgn is dying out anyway, $15 Hr is the standard wage. Tarp the East side stands and move everyone over to the the west side and call it a “sellout”. Give the junkies and homeless in Htgn the concourse on East side. Think of the “party deck” that could become!!!

D2 is definitely an option. Htgn is dying out anyway, $15 Hr is the standard wage. Tarp the East side stands and move everyone over to the the west side and call it a “sellout”. Give the junkies and homeless in Htgn the concourse on East side. Think of the “party deck” that could become!!!
So no link then.

So you admit you are just making stuff up.

So no links where I actually say anything like what you claimed in the post #97.

You have been called, and you have been exposed.

Game. Set. Match.

@raleighherdfan @W-S HerdFan

I could be wrong, but I think he is wanting a link to where he said he'd be a fan of New Mexico State. Or whatever you said in the following post.

You forgot one....

I love Marshall and I promised to be a fan of NM St.

Yes. You claimed this team, this coach wasn't for you last season. Stop pretending this season that you suddenly care. Move on hypocrite.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT