ADVERTISEMENT

Elmore named preseason All America

Nov 28, 2007
Blue Ribbon Colllege Basketball Yearbook named Jon preseason All America(2nd team). I don’t know how to provide link but just saw it on HerdMBb Twitter. Wow

Reactions: kdbherdon
DD's gotta know teams are gonna try to shut him down and make us beat them with other players. If he has a year like last statistically, that would be an amazing achievement.

Twolf - yeah, but
DD's gotta know teams are gonna try to shut him down and make us beat them with other players. If he has a year like last statistically, that would be an amazing achievement.
Twolf - I hear ya, but maybe more so than last year, you will have to pick your poison with Marshall. If you decide to, say, box & 1 33, how do you account for the mismatches that creates going inside to Bennett, Beyers or Sustic? Or leaving yourself a man short with the likes of Burkes, West, Williams, the slasher - Watson, George, anti-grav Kinsey, Brooks-Harris, Thieneman (best sideline stomp in NCAA!) going to the rim, spotting up for the 3 ball or alley ooping to any of them?
I just don't see how you realistically defend the Herd. As little time as they take to get off a shot, it is going to be hard to disrupt the flow of our offense. Anything can happen on any night, but this team has a chance to really put the program on the national stage this season. If you can't tell I am very enthused about our potential!

Twolf - yeah, but

Twolf - I hear ya, but maybe more so than last year, you will have to pick your poison with Marshall. If you decide to, say, box & 1 33, how do you account for the mismatches that creates going inside to Bennett, Beyers or Sustic? Or leaving yourself a man short with the likes of Burkes, West, Williams, the slasher - Watson, George, anti-grav Kinsey, Brooks-Harris, Thieneman (best sideline stomp in NCAA!) going to the rim, spotting up for the 3 ball or alley ooping to any of them?
I just don't see how you realistically defend the Herd. As little time as they take to get off a shot, it is going to be hard to disrupt the flow of our offense. Anything can happen on any night, but this team has a chance to really put the program on the national stage this season. If you can't tell I am very enthused about our potential!
There are times when Danny watches these guys play, he is almost giddy!

'meister - the great thing about DD is his demeanor. He doesn't get too high or too low. Yeah, he'll get after them if they're not running the plays right, but he rarely shows a lot of emotion during the game. And that impacts the whole team: The older guys because they know he has their backs, and the youngsters who are looking to him when things get tight. He has been in crunch time on all 3 levels - you are not going to out-cool the Hillbilly!!

That's what's great about how we play with floor spacing.

The zone MTSU ran gave us fits, but you got to have 3 guys 6'8+ and athletic to run it. wvu is supposed to be the best man team in college basketball and we made them go zone real quick--which we didn't have an answer for their zone.

Most teams play man and if you if bring help on Elmore, you're bringing it from far away, which leaves someone wiiide open. & of course, we’ll hit you with high PnR, which invites a double on the ball (Elmore) and I haven’t seen a team yet who can consistently defend it.

BUT as fun as we’re going to be offensively. I’m most anxious to see what Dan has up his sleeve defensively. We have more length, athleticism, and depth than we’ve had in a looong time. Hope we throw some pressure looks and weird rotations at some people. That analytics speech Dan gave after the Pitt game? Time for our defense to look at the game through the same lense.

F*ck that. Sometimes you just have to tea-bag the pessimists. If you can’t get excited over the high ceiling for this year’s Herd, you may as well start following another team....

and the reason we should temper our enthusiasm would be?......

Well, we throw the names of these newcomers around like they're proven commodities for one thing. Sustic averaged 4 pts a game in Juco, for example.

We have a nice 6 man core coming back, but I need to see these new comers play some D 1 ball before I get too excited .

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
That's what's great about how we play with floor spacing.

The zone MTSU ran gave us fits, but you got to have 3 guys 6'8+ and athletic to run it. wvu is supposed to be the best man team in college basketball and we made them go zone real quick--which we didn't have an answer for their zone.

Most teams play man and if you if bring help on Elmore, you're bringing it from far away, which leaves someone wiiide open. & of course, we’ll hit you with high PnR, which invites a double on the ball (Elmore) and I haven’t seen a team yet who can consistently defend it.

BUT as fun as we’re going to be offensively. I’m most anxious to see what Dan has up his sleeve defensively. We have more length, athleticism, and depth than we’ve had in a looong time. Hope we throw some pressure looks and weird rotations at some people. That analytics speech Dan gave after the Pitt game? Time for our defense to look at the game through the same lense.
We have spent many hours in working on defense specifically on trapping the opponent in the corner.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT