ADVERTISEMENT

Fishing

marshallisqbu

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Jan 12, 2006
Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Anybody else out there obsessed like I am?
Got a new boat this year which has been frustrating at times but got onto the striper this am. Going to Canada next month for walleye, bass, and pike.

I never could get into golf. I would just stare at the ponds and wonder how big the bass were in them.

Got a new boat this year which has been frustrating at times but got onto the striper this am. Going to Canada next month for walleye, bass, and pike.

I never could get into golf. I would just stare at the ponds and wonder how big the bass were in them.
I’m a terrible fisherman but I’ve never ever had a bad time going. Wish I knew more about it .

I couldn't ever get into golf and fishing and hunting are where it's at. My thing is: I like simplistic fishing. My neighbor has a beautiful bass boat he takes out every weekend and often goes up to Erie. My father-in-law has two and two riverfront properties with pilings for the floating docks. I grew up around boats as well, and just grew tired of them and maintaining them, winterizing them, etc. That was always one of my chores as a kid. We bought the Escalade to pull a boat but I still haven't committed to it just because it seems like it takes more time preparing for the actual time you'll be enjoying it. Granted, our new house projects have been my obsession the last year.

Back to fishing: I just like to throw a pole in the car and go—pack up and leave in an hour or less.

There's nothing like that twitch you feel in the pole when you have a hog of a bass on the end.

The biggest bass I've ever caught was with a live hellgrammite:

hellgrammite-fishing.jpg

Just put the hook through that shell behind the head and drop it in—they're like crack for bass. I've done my absolute best fishing with these and prefer them over everything.

Reactions: mlblack16.
Fishing for trout in the NC mountains during the spring is exceptional if you know where to go where it’s not crowded. Nothing like wading for miles and miles.

The only fishing I’ve ever done where I could care less if I catch anything. (Even that is impossible during that time of year).

Fishing for Northern Pike in Canada will be challenging. Watch out if one gets on your line,you'll be in for a battle.

I enjoy the serenity of fishing for brown trout in a remote Sierra Nevada stream myself.

Stripper is spelled with two p’s. 😂

I couldn't ever get into golf and fishing and hunting are where it's at. My thing is: I like simplistic fishing. My neighbor has a beautiful bass boat he takes out every weekend and often goes up to Erie. My father-in-law has two and two riverfront properties with pilings for the floating docks. I grew up around boats as well, and just grew tired of them and maintaining them, winterizing them, etc. That was always one of my chores as a kid. We bought the Escalade to pull a boat but I still haven't committed to it just because it seems like it takes more time preparing for the actual time you'll be enjoying it. Granted, our new house projects have been my obsession the last year.

Back to fishing: I just like to throw a pole in the car and go—pack up and leave in an hour or less.

There's nothing like that twitch you feel in the pole when you have a hog of a bass on the end.

The biggest bass I've ever caught was with a live hellgrammite:

hellgrammite-fishing.jpg

Just put the hook through that shell behind the head and drop it in—they're like crack for bass. I've done my absolute best fishing with these and prefer them over everything.
Glad people hunt to keep animals off the roads but I couldn’t do hunting. Too much sitting.

I love using hellgrammites for smallmouth, but I don’t catch as many as I used to.

Reactions: -CarlHungus-
Surf fishing right now. Nothing real big but going after pompano, spot, whiting , croaker, drum, whatever we get

Reactions: marshallisqbu
Glad people hunt to keep animals off the roads but I couldn’t do hunting. Too much sitting.

I love using hellgrammites for smallmouth, but I don’t catch as many as I used to.
That's part of the joy of it. You're generally in an area where there's no cellphone reception.

Before we moved to Pittsburgh, I used to go to a camp in Neola, WV and it was near the Green Bank Telescope where radio transmissions were silent. So your phone was just a brick.

The nice thing about the area is that there's no light pollution, so when you'd get to your stand in the middle of the night, you'd look up, and see the entire Milky Way Galaxy spanning overhead. Even if you didn't shoot a deer, that was worth it every time.

But sitting there all day, listening, and in your thoughts planning life events and etc., are one of the great joys of hunting. Yes, getting a big buck is nice, but the experience of solitude in nature cannot be beat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT