ADVERTISEMENT

FYI on Instate kid!

Josh, I am told if Marshall called and ask them to walkon they would take it in a heart beat. Lee has grade issue and Hesen is also still waiting on his test score. No matter he can still walkon as a prop.

Here is the kicker. Hesen's family has Marshall connections

That is the entire point. There’s clearly an issue there.

No one said offer a ride. Get him/them to walkon

I'm not arguing. And maybe someone out there will give a walkon and get a steal. I was simply saying that a whole lot of coaches from a number of local programs have all slow-played the recruiting to this point. Not saying they're right or wrong, but they certainly know more than me. As does our staff, which should not be raked over the coals for taking a similar tack.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToesMU and pdbailey
Josh, I am told if Marshall called and ask them to walkon they would take it in a heart beat. Lee has grade issue and Hesen is also still waiting on his test score. No matter he can still walkon as a prop.

Here is the kicker. Hesen's family has Marshall connections
Sounds like a golden opportunity for The a Herd to make in-roads to the program, which might pay dividends for years to come.

I'm not arguing. And maybe someone our there will give a walkon and get a steal. I was simply saying that a whole lot of coaches from a number of local programs have all slow-played the recruiting to this point. Not saying they're right or wrong, but they certainly know more than me. As does our staff, which should not be raked over the coals for taking a similar tack.

Problem is our staff wont offer an In-State kid unless someone else does first.

no idea, Martinsburg has another lineman that is 6-1, 320, benches 485 lbs, and dead lifts 600 lbs. He needs to lose weight but he man handled the Spring Valley kids who are all D1 kids.
Don't feel bad about not knowing about Martinsburg's 6-1, 320 lb lineman that man-handled our Spring Valley recruits...neither does the MU recruiter that covers that area of WV.

If you think anyone came close to manhandling Owen Porter in that game, you either didn’t watch it or you’ve lost your mind... Martinsburg won because they had the better team.

AllEers6, can you give us an up-date on Grantham? Thanks
He will be at WVU for there Jr recruiting weekend soon. He went to Notre Dame this season to visit. Its still really early, and I know WVU is all over him. I would say WVU leads but if a bigger program comes in he may listen. The kid is a stud would make a great linebacker. One thing, everyone keeps saying Marshall's class is not highly rated but my guess is WVU would have liked a second shot at Owen Porter. He is a stud! Martinsburg folks have tons of respect for him

Reactions: 31Herd55
Dont expect Harris and Smith to be back
Aaron has bigger issues to stress about.

That is 3 DTs gone. And we have only signed 1 so far in this class and 1 Future in Jamare Cross who in my opinion should be a Wide 9 DE for us but is currently 6'6 280

And, that's the big difference in offering and recruiting.

We’ve been over this a million times. @Herd Fever’s statement is patently false. Seth Stewart, your boy Tavis Lee, Owen Porter, Jacob Cassidy, Isaiah Duncan, Billy Ross, Riley Locklear, Alex Locklear and Cody Mitchell all received their first FBS offers from Marshall.

If y’all continue to roll with this nonsense I’m going to start zapping these threads.

Talking about whether or not Jalen Hesen deserves an offer is fine but continuing to run with his false narrative when it has been proven to you to be false is not.

Reactions: ToesMU
That is the entire point. There’s clearly an issue there.
And the issue is one that Marshall can take advantage of it so desire's.

WVU cant take props! Lee would have signed at WVU already if things were in order. I think he ends up at Marshall or Shepherd. I think Hesen would jump on a walkon offer if given(as would Trey Henry the other DT)..

Last edited:
We’ve been over this a million times. @Herd Fever’s statement is patently false. Seth Stewart, your boy Tavis Lee, Owen Porter, Jacob Cassidy, Isaiah Duncan, Billy Ross, Riley Locklear, Alex Locklear and Cody Mitchell all received their first FBS offers from Marshall.

If y’all continue to roll with this nonsense I’m going to start zapping these threads.

Talking about whether or not Jalen Hesen deserves an offer is fine but continuing to run with his false narrative when it has been proven to you to be false is not.
Chris, I follow instate recruiting close and you are correct.

Reactions: Chris McLaughlin

With all due respect to you Chris, as I do value your professionalism of being our best Moderator, I have never once said that we didn't offer these guys, and take your word that we were the first to offer them.

And the issue is one that Marshall can take advantage of it so desire's.

WVU cant take props! Lee would have signed at WVU already if things were in order. I think he ends up at Marshall or Shepherd. I think Hesen would jump on a walkon offer if given(as would Trey Henry the other DT)..

Let me be blunt here. Our staff clearly believes these kids either aren’t good enough or have issues that outweigh their talents, to deserve the opportunity. That’s all that needs said. It doesn’t matter if they have Marshall connections, that Marshall can take props, or that WVU can’t. The kids just aren’t worth it. That’s probably harsh, but I don’t know how else to put it.

Aren't we short on the D line? Last I checked we are low in that area?
No, we currently have 15 scholarship players set for the 2018 roster with 7 DTs not counting Bee (hydrid). We also have a strong DL board as well so we don't need to reach for recruits at those positions.

Will we be short in the DT Room after next season...looks like we'll be down to 4...Dopson, Hames, Cross & Ratliff.

Christ. You’re going to start deleting threads that contain criticism of Marshall Football that isn’t necessarily deserved? Is your goal to nuke this entire board?

Fever said that Marshall won’t offer an in-state kid unless he already has an FBS offer. True or false, you’re going to zap threads that have incorrect info? Again, Christ.

Is the hot line from Shewey calling again or something?

Reactions: Elkview
Christ. You’re going to start deleting threads that contain criticism of Marshall Football that isn’t necessarily deserved? Is your goal to nuke this entire board?

Fever said that Marshall won’t offer an in-state kid unless he already has an FBS offer. True or false, you’re going to zap threads that have incorrect info? Again, Christ.

Is the hot line from Shewey calling again or something?

I’ve been over this exact topic three or four times with 31 and Fever on Old Fairfield and HN yet they continue to run with it. It’s not that the criticism is unnecessarily deserved, it’s that it’s a blatant lie.

Like I said, discuss the merits of a kid like Hesen getting an offer all day long. Blast the coaching staff for ignoring him if you must. I have no issue with that and think it makes for good discussion.

But repeating things that have been constantly shown to be false isn’t good discussion and I’m tired of moderating it.

To answer your question: no I won’t zap threads that have incorrect information. But I will if this specific topic is brought up by these specific posters again.

Let me be blunt here. Our staff clearly believes these kids either aren’t good enough or have issues that outweigh their talents, to deserve the opportunity. That’s all that needs said. It doesn’t matter if they have Marshall connections, that Marshall can take props, or that WVU can’t. The kids just aren’t worth it. That’s probably harsh, but I don’t know how else to put it.
I disagree, why, because you always take the coaches side on issues. I follow recruiting and someplace there is a disconnect. Its either the guy recruiting the area has no clue or doc wont listen to him. You do know MU wanted Bagent has an athlete and was ready to offer but the family turned that down(he wants a QB offer). Josh, Im following this stuff and giving a walkon offer should not be that difficult which goes back to my point. Someone is not doing there job. Doc is getting better with the Instate recruiting but I see where he is missing out on some low hanging fruit and this topic is one of those. Doc is missing a chance to get Marshall exposed in the EP but its a real fight to even get them to look at kids.

Last edited:
We played martinsburg in the state championship the past two years. And I can can tell you their quarterback could start for marshall this year. Kid is 6'4 football iq is off the charts. And he is very accurate. Total command of the offense.
Don't get me started because I think this goes to the heart of the issue and that is Doc is not spending the time looking at kids or he is unsure of how to evaluate talent. Its easy to recruit the kids everyone else is after but it takes skill to find the under the radar kids.

The other issue is Bill Legg just got fired and in part it was because of the terrible 2016 season but the problem with that team was Doc recruited so many kids with social problems that they didn't stay in school. The roster was so thin that we couldn't field a competitive team. That is why you question the coaches at this point on recruiting. I didn't say fire him but the issue needs discussed. Shoot its been stated in this thread that three DT's are not coming back. Is this true? This is the problem. One way to had depth is work the potential walkons. There are kids in this state that would love to say they played d1 football even if its just a walkon offer.

We played martinsburg in the state championship the past two years. And I can can tell you their quarterback could start for marshall this year. Kid is 6'4 football iq is off the charts. And he is very accurate. Total command of the offense.
btw, I spoke to a lot of the Martinsburg parents and they thought Owen was the best player in the state before and after the game. Kid is a stud!

I disagree, why, because you always take the coaches side on issues. I follow recruiting and someplace there is a disconnect. Its either the guy recruiting the area has no clue or doc wont listen to him. You do know MU wanted Bagent has an athlete and was ready to offer but the family turned that down(he wants a QB offer). Josh, Im following this stuff and giving a walkon offer should not be that difficult which goes back to my point. Someone is not doing there job. Doc is getting better with the Instate recruiting but I see where he is missing out on some low hanging fruit and this topic is one of those. Doc is missing a chance to get Marshall exposed in the EP but its a real fight to even get them to look at kids.

I’m not basing my opinion off Marshall’s staff’s opinions. I’m basing it off the fact that NO college coach has offered them a single thing. They don’t even have a walk-on opportunity from any WV conference schools for God’s sake. Yet for some reason you’re on this board every single day talking them up like they’re the next 30 for 30 story. If there’s a “disconnect,” then it’s on the part of the Martinsburg players and their families, not every coaching staff that’s been through that area.

Reactions: pdbailey

Well, no offense, but I watched the Roy kid at Hurricane torch you guys this year too and that kid isn’t going to be playing on Saturday’s. Spring Valley had absolutely no speed whatsoever in the secondary. They couldn’t run with Hurricane, much less Martinsburg.

I’m not basing my opinion off Marshall’s staff’s opinions. I’m basing it off the fact that NO college coach has offered them a single thing. They don’t even have a walk-on opportunity from any WV conference schools for God’s sake. Yet for some reason you’re on this board every single day talking them up like they’re the next 30 for 30 story. If there’s a “disconnect,” then it’s on the part of the Martinsburg players and their families, not every coaching staff that’s been through that area.
So you have just told me you don't know the full story. Do you know how many full rides Shepherd offers every year. Close to none. Both of the dlineman have been offered full rides by shepherd and other D2 programs. Several D1AA programs are involved but only at partial money and going out of state would cost the family lots of money.

So you have just told me you don't know the full story. Do you know how many full rides Shepherd offers every year. Close to none. Both of the dlineman have been offered full rides by shepherd and other D2 programs. Several D1AA programs are involved but only at partial money and going out of state would cost the family lots of money.

I DON’T CARE how many scholarships Shepherd gives out or if it costs their families money to go out of state.

Marshall isn’t recruiting them and they’re five hours away from me. End of story. Do you go to WVU’s board and preach on this subject every day? If not, I suggest you try because your feeble attempts aren’t working out real well here.

If in five or six years, if these kids become NFL draft picks, then please come back and rub it in our faces. Until then, let it go.

Generally speaking, I want to see most kids from the state have success. You’re making impossible for me to do so with the Martinsburg kids though.

Don't get me started because I think this goes to the heart of the issue and that is Doc is not spending the time looking at kids or he is unsure of how to evaluate talent. Its easy to recruit the kids everyone else is after but it takes skill to find the under the radar kids.

I think Alot have to do with taking the HC of the road for recruiting.

Probably fix the attrition rate also

Dear God........

No, we currently have 15 scholarship players set for the 2018 roster with 7 DTs not counting Bee (hydrid). We also have a strong DL board as well so we don't need to reach for recruits at those positions.

Im not counting pocket change Harris and Lazy Jason Smith.

I DON’T CARE how many scholarships Shepherd gives out or if it costs their families money to go out of state.

Marshall isn’t recruiting them and they’re five hours away from me. End of story. Do you go to WVU’s board and preach on this subject every day? If not, I suggest you try because your feeble attempts aren’t working out real well here.

If in five or six years, if these kids become NFL draft picks, then please come back and rub it in our faces. Until then, let it go.

Generally speaking, I want to see most kids from the state have success. You’re making impossible for me to do so with the Martinsburg kids though.

Hesen just won MVP of a national high school all star game. As a staff writer it may make for a good story. Call Dave Walker and write the story. May get an update to Lee.

BTW, you are the won that said they had no offers from anyone and that is not the case. They will go to college and play football someplace

Hesen just won MVP of a national high school all star game. As a staff writer it may make for a good story. Call Dave Walker and write the story. May get an update to Lee.

BTW, you are the won that said they had no offers from anyone and that is not the case. They will go to college and play football someplace

I’m not going to write an article on a kid that has no bearing on Marshall Football. I have Tavis’ phone number so I can call him directly if I want.

Then let them go somewhere else and stop beating a dead horse. You’re the only person that seems to care if they attend Marshall or not.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT