ADVERTISEMENT

FYI on Instate kid!

Only instate kids need to be choir boys to join this squad
When I lived up that way, I followed the Applemen. Saw the Herd up at games a couple of times, and they ended up taking at least one player. There's a lot of talent in the panhandle, with five really large AAA schools. Talent to be had in all sports, including baseball, which is really good up that way.

I’m not going to write an article on a kid that has no bearing on Marshall Football. I have Tavis’ phone number so I can call him directly if I want.

Then let them go somewhere else and stop beating a dead horse. You’re the only person that seems to care if they attend Marshall or not.
yes because I care! Is that a crime?

Reactions: Elkview
I’m not going to write an article on a kid that has no bearing on Marshall Football. I have Tavis’ phone number so I can call him directly if I want.

Then let them go somewhere else and stop beating a dead horse. You’re the only person that seems to care if they attend Marshall or not.
We will just have to agree to disagree but from where I sit it appears Marshall does not care.

We will just have to agree to disagree but from where I sit it appears Marshall does not care.

About a pair of kids that they’re not recruiting and seem to have no intention on doing so....I’d say you’re right.

But why would they care about kids like that when they’re out trying to actually build their recruiting class? I mean that in a professional matter, not in general.

Not every kid is meant to play D-1 football, but people don’t seem to get that and want to blame others when their kid isn’t given the chance.

But repeating things that have been constantly shown to be false isn’t good discussion and I’m tired of moderating it.

Sam C's entire board history has involved perpetuating false narratives that have easily been shown to be false. Why have you not felt the need to "moderate" all of his false info or any of the other bogus stuff?

You're "tired of moderating" anything negative about Marshall football because of the hotline from Shewey. Regardless of the veracity of anything critical of Marshall football, you guys clearly heavily moderate that over anything else. Shouldn't you just change the URL to "herdzone.com" if that's how this board has evolved over the years?

Reactions: 31Herd55
I disagree, why, because you always take the coaches side on issues. I follow recruiting and someplace there is a disconnect. Its either the guy recruiting the area has no clue or doc wont listen to him. You do know MU wanted Bagent has an athlete and was ready to offer but the family turned that down(he wants a QB offer). Josh, Im following this stuff and giving a walkon offer should not be that difficult which goes back to my point. Someone is not doing there job. Doc is getting better with the Instate recruiting but I see where he is missing out on some low hanging fruit and this topic is one of those. Doc is missing a chance to get Marshall exposed in the EP but its a real fight to even get them to look at kids.
We played martinsburg in the state championship the past two years. And I can can tell you their quarterback could start for marshall this year. Kid is 6'4 football iq is off the charts. And he is very accurate. Total command of the offense.
The other issue is Bill Legg just got fired and in part it was because of the terrible 2016 season but the problem with that team was Doc recruited so many kids with social problems that they didn't stay in school. The roster was so thin that we couldn't field a competitive team. That is why you question the coaches at this point on recruiting. I didn't say fire him but the issue needs discussed. Shoot its been stated in this thread that three DT's are not coming back. Is this true? This is the problem. One way to had depth is work the potential walkons. There are kids in this state that would love to say they played d1 football even if its just a walkon offer.
So you have just told me you don't know the full story. Do you know how many full rides Shepherd offers every year. Close to none. Both of the dlineman have been offered full rides by shepherd and other D2 programs. Several D1AA programs are involved but only at partial money and going out of state would cost the family lots of money.
So, Marshall recruiting policy is to only take a chance on thugs from South Florida, and turn their back on in-state kids who may or may not have a shady past, all because they're five hours away?
Lots of insightful and truthful posts hitting on this thread. One of the best ever. Heartfelt opinion from some
dyed-in-the-wool fans that definitely know their facts.

Reactions: Elkview
About a pair of kids that they’re not recruiting and seem to have no intention on doing so....I’d say you’re right.

But why would they care about kids like that when they’re out trying to actually build their recruiting class? I mean that in a professional matter, not in general.

Not every kid is meant to play D-1 football, but people don’t seem to get that and want to blame others when their kid isn’t given the chance.
Does not care about trying to build a football team with instate kids that care and want a shot. We are not talking a full ride we are talking about a walkon slot. How many kids are on a football team? 120? That means you can have 35 walkons.

If they are not from florida or one of Doc's pipeline schools he basically does not care. That is how this looks from the outside looking in.

Hesen just won MVP of a national high school all star game. As a staff writer it may make for a good story. Call Dave Walker and write the story. May get an update to Lee.

BTW, you are the won that said they had no offers from anyone and that is not the case. They will go to college and play football someplace
And according to Captains evaluation of their QB, some team is going to land one heck of a good QB...and our QB position is somewhat in question-at best.

Reactions: AllEers6
Lots of insightful and truthful posts hitting on this thread. One of the best ever. Heartfelt opinion from some
dyed-in-the-wool fans that definitely know their facts.
Thanks, lots of low hanging fruit for Doc but there is a dis-connect and not sure why.

Here is another name. Brady Ours. His dad Wes, played for Doc at WVU and his son is a 6 foot 175 lbs safety withy good grades. A perfect walkon kid. I bet no contact has been made

1) Make that call
2) Have a recruiter to make a back-up call
3) Are you even reading the same thread as you are posting about AllEers6 being the only person that seems
to care about them attending Marshall...there are several fans that have voiced the opposing opinion.

Does not care about trying to build a football team with instate kids that care and want a shot. We are not talking a full ride we are talking about a walkon slot. How many kids are on a football team? 120? That means you can have 35 walkons.

If they are not from florida or one of Doc's pipeline schools he basically does not care. That is how this looks from the outside looking in.
AllEers6 telling it like it is...TRUTH.

If AllEers6 and Captain keep telling THE TRUTH, THE WHOLE TRUTH, AND NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH...
this thread will be censored for sure. Anyone that brings a thought to OF which runs counter to the
"Company Line" is prone to get Mod-slammed.

And according to Captains evaluation of their QB, some team is going to land one heck of a good QB...and our QB position is somewhat in question-at best.
The latest I heard is Fork Union. Since Marshall has had some interest this would be a good article as well

You are so right about pipeline schools...but how can Martinsburg NOT be one of our pipeline schools...does
6 State Champioships in the last 8 years fail to get anyone's attention in The Shewey? Kinda outshines Doc's Championships over the same 8 years.

You are so right about pipeline schools...but how can Martinsburg NOT be one of our pipeline schools...does
6 State Champioships in the last 8 years fail to get anyone's attention in The Shewey? Kinda outshines Doc's Championships over the same 8 years.
Honestly there is a real opportunity here, and what I mean is you don't even need to be throwing out full rides here to get your foot in the door.

1) Make that call
2) Have a recruiter to make a back-up call
3) Are you even reading the same thread as you are posting about AllEers6 being the only person that seems
to care about them attending Marshall...there are several fans that have voiced the opposing opinion.

One more thing:
Jalen Hesen was he starting power forward on a hoops team that advanced to the state tourney. Not bad for a nose guard!

Hesen just won MVP of a national high school all star game. As a staff writer it may make for a good story. Call Dave Walker and write the story. May get an update to Lee.

BTW, you are the won that said they had no offers from anyone and that is not the case. They will go to college and play football someplace
The story that nobody in the Shewey ever wants to see written...it's one of those truthful stories that they feel
would cast them in a bad light.

God knows I'm not a Chuck Landon fan, but it does sound like a subject that he would write about.

Honestly there is a real opportunity here, and what I mean is you don't even need to be throwing out full rides here to get your foot in the door.
Totally agree...one or two walk-ons per year would go along way to getting the inside track on their good talent...promote our brand in the EP and northern part of the state as a whole.

One more thing:
Jalen Hesen was he starting power forward on a hoops team that advanced to the state tourney. Not bad for a nose guard!
Probably means he has good lateral movement and enough speed and agility to run the QB down on several occasions.

This thread is getting hard to follow. Just to focus, on which fronts do you intend to wage battle?

1. The Martinsburg athletes are FBS prospects falling below the radar and Marshall coaches are poor recruiters/evaluators.
2. They are FCS caliber, but worth it for Marshall to give a scholarship or two, or at least a PWO.
3, They are DII talent, but deserving of a Marshall walkon.
4. Not sure what level they are, but offering a few walkons doesn't hurt, and may pave some inroads with a quality school.
5. Just want to recruit more WV athletes.
6. Some variation of the above which I did not mention.

Last edited:
This thread is getting hard to follow. Just to focus, on which fronts do you intend to wage battle?

1. The Martinsburg athletes are PBS prospects falling below the radar and Marshall coaches are poor recruiters/evaluators.
2. They are FCS caliber, but worth it for Marshall to give a scholarship or two, or at least a PWO.
3, They are DII talent, but deserving of a Marshall walkon.
4. Not sure what level they are, but offering a few walkons doesn't hurt, and may pave some inroads with a quality school.
5. Just want to recruit more WV athletes.
6. Some variation of the above which I did not mention.

I really don't have the time or energy to paint the entire picture again but this started as a discussion around Jalen Hesen a 6-1, 265 dlineman from Martinsburg that was Capt of the First Team All-State Defensive team(above Porter and Cassidy) and recently named MVP of the Blue-Gray All American All Star Game in Jacksonville Florida(he played nose guard and how does a nose guard win that award). He also starts on the basketball team that made it to States last year.

I said it would be wise for Doc to get back in on this kid maybe just as a walkon (and maybe also the other dlineman from Martinsburg named Trey Henry) since he did very well at a national all star game. That is about as simple as I can make it at this point.

BTW, Number 4 on your list sounds about right.

Last edited:
Reactions: chuck1069
Im of the impression of a combination of 1,3, and 4.

Fair enough. The only one I disagree with would be #1. I've never seen them play in person, though I've seen them on film several times over the past few years. But this has nothing to do with my evaluation. I'm just saying that I can't fault the Marshall coaches for not scholarshiping when the FCS hasn't even done so.

Reactions: ToesMU and pdbailey
Fair enough. The only one I disagree with would be #1. I've never seen them play in person, though I've seen them on film several times over the past few years. But this has nothing to do with my evaluation. I'm just saying that I can't fault the Marshall coaches for not scholarshiping when the FCS hasn't even done so.
I looked it up yesterday and he was playing against olineman that are going to UVA, Wake Forest, and Washington State to win that MVP award!

Don't get me started because I think this goes to the heart of the issue and that is Doc is not spending the time looking at kids or he is unsure of how to evaluate talent. Its easy to recruit the kids everyone else is after but it takes skill to find the under the radar kids.
Coach Jim Donnan had an eye for low hanging fruit/ raw talent. I beleive Coach Dan D'Antony has that gift as well!

I don't know why the kid bailed but the Blueshirt explanation makes no sense. If you didn't tell a Blueshirt that he was a Blueshirt then he would never know it. It's just about deferring the initial counters, not something that in any way affects the athlete. I can't imagine how it could be seen as a slight of any kind. Again, don't know what it was but there has to be more to it than his reaction to a Blueshirt.

They have D2 offers and some D1AA offers so its more 4 because I don't know what they are but Hesen just played in an all star game with tons of D1 football players and he was named MVP.
I think a lot of Herd Fans will regret not getting him...not so much the coaches. Keep us posted on him & his recruiting

I don't know why the kid bailed but the Blueshirt explanation makes no sense. If you didn't tell a Blueshirt that he was a Blueshirt then he would never know it. It's just about deferring the initial counters, not something that in any way affects the athlete. I can't imagine how it could be seen as a slight of any kind. Again, don't know what it was but there has to be more to it than his reaction to a Blueshirt.
Where is he going?

Don't get me started because I think this goes to the heart of the issue and that is Doc is not spending the time looking at kids or he is unsure of how to evaluate talent. Its easy to recruit the kids everyone else is after but it takes skill to find the under the radar kids.
Doc's reputation was built on the ability to evaluate talent and find the under the radar guys. I'm not sure why Bagent doesn't have any FBS offers if he is supposedly good enough to start for a upper tier G5 already? o_O

Last edited:
The other issue is Bill Legg just got fired and in part it was because of the terrible 2016 season but the problem with that team was Doc recruited so many kids with social problems that they didn't stay in school. The roster was so thin that we couldn't field a competitive team. That is why you question the coaches at this point on recruiting. I didn't say fire him but the issue needs discussed. Shoot its been stated in this thread that three DT's are not coming back. Is this true? This is the problem. One way to had depth is work the potential walkons. There are kids in this state that would love to say they played d1 football even if its just a walkon offer.
Doc is ultimately responsible for recruiting, but he typically signed off on the guys the other coaches and coordinators wanted after evaluations for offers. They have an evaluation system in place to rate players and place them on the board. The real issues were the 2012, 2013, and 2015 classes that were lead by Seider (2012/2013) and Hartley (2015). The attrition and head cases in those classes killed us in 2016 and caused us to have less talent on the 2017 team than we should have expected. The 2016 and 2017 classes look good so far so hopefully the attrition issues decrease over time. As far as the DTs, some have stated they don't want certain guys back, but we have only lost Larry Aaron at this point, and we don't have the counter spots to be dropping 5th year SRs for JUCOs or qualified HS recruits.

Doc's reputation was built on the ability to evaluate talent and find the under the radar guys. I'm not sure why Bagent doesn't have any FBS offers if he is supposedly good enough to start for a upper tier G5 already?
This thread is more built around the discussion on Jalen Hesen, but I continue to hear Bagent could end up at a conference USA rival before its all said and done(or Fork Union).

What 5th year senior that will probably ride the pine is worth bring back? If they dont prove something during Spring, they need to make room.

He never signed and allegedly we asked him to Blueshirt and she said F outta here.
Blueshirt means nothing except that he would not get an OV. He would still be on scholarship. If it was a change to a greyshirt offer it would be different.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT