ADVERTISEMENT

FYI on Instate kid!

AllEers6

Bronze Buffalo
Sep 22, 2011
Jalen Hesen from Martinsburg won the Defensive MVP at the Blue Gray All American Game in Florida yesterday. This kid can play and someone is missing out.

Reactions: 31Herd55
Jalen Hesen from Martinsburg won the Defensive MVP at the Blue Gray All American Game in Florida yesterday. This kid can play and someone is missing out.
Thanks for that info...very interesting to me that our recruiter for that Martinsburg area of our own state doesn't believe that there is talent there that can play for The Herd.

Do you have an estimate as to how many of the players in that game are commits to D-1 programs?

I would hope he at least is being considered as an invited walk on

Thanks for that info...very interesting to me that our recruiter for that Martinsburg area of our own state doesn't believe that there is talent there that can play for The Herd.

Do you have an estimate as to how many of the players in that game are commits to D-1 programs?
no idea, Martinsburg has another lineman that is 6-1, 320, benches 485 lbs, and dead lifts 600 lbs. He needs to lose weight but he man handled the Spring Valley kids who are all D1 kids.

RECAP :
1). First team All-State QB
2). Led his team to State Championship
3). MVP on defense in Blue Gray All American Game in Florida
4). Not good enough to be recruited by Marshall

Reactions: Elkview and WV_Celt
no idea, Martinsburg has another lineman that is 6-1, 320, benches 485 lbs, and dead lifts 600 lbs. He needs to lose weight but he man handled the Spring Valley kids who are all D1 kids.
Don't feel bad about not knowing about Martinsburg's 6-1, 320 lb lineman that man-handled our Spring Valley recruits...neither does the MU recruiter that covers that area of WV.

Martinsburg has 2 kids we can build around at DT with Elijah Ratliff who was MVP of the other Blue-Grey game.

Then you can potentially add Becton and McDuffie at DE and that is a solid Dline recruiting class.

Last edited:
Martinsburg has 2 kids we can build around at DT with Elijah Wellman who was MVP of the other Blue-Grey game.

Then you can potentially add Becton and McDuffie at DE and that is a solid Dline recruiting class.

Elijah Ratliff.

I've been told Tavis Lee's recruitment isn't over so he's a name to keep an eye on for DE.

Don't feel bad about not knowing about Martinsburg's 6-1, 320 lb lineman that man-handled our Spring Valley recruits...neither does the MU recruiter that covers that area of WV.

So we have a 1 tech in this state and we dont recruit him?

Ill say this, over the last 10 years

The best HS players in WV have proven to be very solid D1 players when given a chance either with a scholarship or by walking on.

I hate to speculate but when things don't add up there's usually an underlying reason.

This. Our staff has been to their school and clearly have no interest in their 2018 kids outside of Tavis Lee. I don’t understand why it continues to be an issue.

I've talked to Jalen a couple of times and can't quite figure out his recruitment. His only offers are D2 in-state offers and he doesn't have a PWO from either Marshall or WVU.

I hate to speculate but when things don't add up there's usually an underlying reason.
I like your effort with this kid and I do understand your take on something not adding up. Maybe his coach or principal could bring some clarity to this unless they would be covering something up for him.

This. Our staff has been to their school and clearly have no interest in their 2018 kids outside of Tavis Lee. I don’t understand why it continues to be an issue.

Because there is no youth depth on the Dline, and we just lost Aaron at DT.

Take these 2 guys and give them rules. But defensive lineman arent for Choir Boys

Reactions: cottrell75
I've talked to Jalen a couple of times and can't quite figure out his recruitment. His only offers are D2 in-state offers and he doesn't have a PWO from either Marshall or WVU.

That's a lot of facts that make a case for us passing on him. No, FBS/FCS offers or PWOs from the in-state schools likely equals a personal issue or serious grade issues.

Elijah Ratliff.

I've been told Tavis Lee's recruitment isn't over so he's a name to keep an eye on for DE.
Yep, he didn't sign with WVU in December, so he either has grade issues or he is a fall back recruit they might take if they don't get the guys they want.

I find it completely baffling that Martinsburg can be State Champs 6 out of the last 8 years and can only have 1 or 2 kids with enough potential to play at Marshall.

And, I'm not saying they have players that are All-World...but, we're not exactly ALABAMA either.

Reactions: chuck1069
I find it completely baffling that Martinsburg can be State Champs 6 out of the last 8 years and can only have 1 or 2 kids with enough potential to play at Marshall.

And, I'm not saying they have players that are All-World...but, we're not exactly ALABAMA either.
Being a good team and having players that can play at the FBS level are two different things. you can have a great team with a lot of solid guys that don't translate to the college level that is better than a team that has a decent group of players with 1-2 great players that do translate to the FBS level that carry that team.

That's a lot of facts that make a case for us passing on him. No, FBS/FCS offers or PWOs from the in-state schools likely equals a personal issue or serious grade issues.
You are probably right, I just hope not in this case. Maybe an alum in that area could give us the scoop.

Yep, he didn't sign with WVU in December, so he either has grade issues or he is a fall back recruit they might take if they don't get the guys they want.
Hope we've kept our foot in that door...would still be a nice get as a Future.

Maybe it has more to do with the School and not what Marshall or WVU can do.

Being a good team and having players that can play at the FBS level are two different things. you can have a great team with a lot of solid guys that don't translate to the college level that is better than a team that has a decent group of players with 1-2 great players that do translate to the FBS level that carry that team.

6 of 8 State Championships in AAA ball, the division that produces the most D1 players in the state and they have dominated it with defense and a high scoring offense.

They obviously have the talent. I remember when you said Elijah Bell wasnt good enough either. He is now an NFL prospect at NC A&T at WR. WV players just develop late BUT they do shine when they are given a chance.

Yet, we just had a QB with MULTIPLE red flags both before and during his college years leave for the NFL and HerdNation celebrates him? A little confusing to me.

Yet, we just had a QB with MULTIPLE red flags both before and during his college years leave for the NFL and HerdNation celebrates him? A little confusing to me.

I’m gonna need you to explain to me how that is relevant to the conversation.

I’m gonna need you to explain to me how that is relevant to the conversation.
Red flags for Chase= not relevant.
Red flags for everyone else= relevant??

Because for some reason we are now caring about Red Flags

I don’t think red flags are the issue at all here. I just have serious doubts about these kids and their talent level. The lack of interest reaffrims that I think. Otherwise, if the kid(s) were that talented then someone would be disregarding their issues and still offering them something.

6 of 8 State Championships in AAA ball, the division that produces the most D1 players in the state and they have dominated it with defense and a high scoring offense.

They obviously have the talent. I remember when you said Elijah Bell wasnt good enough either. He is now an NFL prospect at NC A&T at WR. WV players just develop late BUT they do shine when they are given a chance.
I'm sure they have talent for a WV school with the success they have had but it doesn't necessarily mean they should be a hotbed for high level FBS G5 talent either. By the way, I don't even know who the hell Elijah Bell is and have never heard of him or made a comment on him. Good for him if true.

I don’t think red flags are the issue at all here. I just have serious doubts about these kids and their talent level. The lack of interest reaffrims that I think. Otherwise, if the kid(s) were that talented then someone would be disregarding their issues and still offering them something.

This.

I live about 20 min south of Martinsburg. College coaches are in and out of my school all the time. I can't imagine they are all ignoring a multiple state-champion in Martinsburg. Just off the top of my head, FBS schools like ODU, Cinn, OH, Little Miami, Bowling Green, Akron, WKU. And if the FBS are not interested, then where are the pile of FCS offers? Elon, Gardner-Webb in NC; Eastern Kentucky, Morehead, Murray State in KN; Hampton, JMU, Norfolk St, VMI, Richmond, W&M in VA. Or offers from two transitioning schools like Liberty or Coastal Carolina. Div II? A-B, Concord, West Liberty, UVA-Wise, VA State. My school currently has a player at Charleston. A couple up at Shepherd. A senior OL has already signed with Howard. A safety currently has offers from Fairmont State and Glenville.

I personally have no idea why more Martinsburg athletes are not being offered. But saying that Marshall coaches are not aware, or that they can't evaluate talent, is also saying the same thing about a lot of other comparable coaching staffs.

Last edited:
This.

I live about 20 min south of Martinsburg. College coaches are in and out of my school all the time. I can't imagine they are all ignoring a multiple state-champion in Martinsburg. Just off the top of my head, FBS schools like ODU, Cinn, OH, Little Miami, Bowling Green, Akron, WKU. And if the FBS are not interested, then where are pile of FCS offers? Elon, Gardner-Webb in NC; Eastern Kentucky, Morehead, Murray State in KN; Hampton, JMU, Norfolk St, VMI, Richmond, W&M in VA. Or offers from two transitioning schools like Liberty or Coastal Carolina. Div II? A-B, Concord, West Liberty, UVA-Wise, VA State. My school currently has a player at Charleston. A couple up at Shepherd. A senior OL has already signed with Howard. A safety currently has offers from Fairmont State and Glenville.

I personally have no idea why more Martinsburg athletes are not being offered. But saying that Marshall coaches are not aware, or that they can't evaluate talent, is also saying the same thing about a lot of other comparable coaching staffs.

Dude played in an All-American game and brought home the MVP.

Josh, I am told if Marshall called and ask them to walkon they would take it in a heart beat. Lee has grade issue and Hesen is also still waiting on his test score. No matter he can still walkon as a prop.

Here is the kicker. Hesen's family has Marshall connections

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT