ADVERTISEMENT

Good Afternoon from Boise...

Aaron Perkins

Jan 9, 2006
Huntington
What a trip.

My son and I started out by flying to Jackson Hole Wyoming on Wednesday, we then drove north to the Buffalo Valley Ranch and spent the night in a very cold Covered Wagon. It was around 40 degrees, the baseboard heater didnt work, but the heavy blankets were awesome. We woke up to incredible views of the Grand Teton Mountains. We then drove up and through Yellowstone, which is amazing and I recommend everyone trying to do at least once.

After that it was a 6 hour drive back down through Idaho to Boise.

Boise, is of course bigger, and much more...whats the political term, liberal? Maybe? Sorry, i am a political moron. Anyway, other than that, it really is similar to Huntington. What is really cool is people actually know there is a football game today.

We are currently setting here at the team hotel, attempting to deal with the time difference, I have always been terrible at that even when I tell myself I am going to stay on East coast time.

Big Green Tailgate is in a couple hours at a place called the Ram, it is right across from the stadium. The stadium area is nice, but the parking appears kinda tight, we do not realize how lucky we have it at home games when it comes to parking.

Based on what I have seen, and things i have seen on social media, I would expect a very good turnout of Marshall fans tonight. I would say we will have more tonight, on a Friday, than they will next year when they travel to Huntington.

Things I have overheard or have been said to me:

From the rancher checking us in at our covered wagon, " I have heard of the "Marshalls", i am from Cleveland, a friend of mine played on the team after the plane crash.

From the Waitress at breakfast this morning, after a guy in our party gave her a hug when he walked in, "Where is Marshall" I said Huntington, WV, she said, "ahhh that explains the hug, gotcha"

Last night at dinner from the table behind us who saw us all in green, "I think they had a plane crash at some point and there was a movie about it." I overheard him talking to the group at his table.

Back to the game. One would assume it will come down to whether or not Marshall can stop the run. I have a feeling that Boise is going to try and pass the football. Darius Hodge, and the rest of the defensive ends are going to have to find a way to get pressure on the quarterback.

Marshall needs to get off the field early, and score early. I like our chances if those two things happen.

History:

The two teams have only met one time, in Boise in 1994. It was the semifinals, and it was Marshall's first road, non championship game, playoff game since Appalachian State in 1992. Marshall stormed out to a 24 to 7 lead,and temporarily knocked out their quarterback. Boise, as we all know, came back and won the game 28 to 24, shutting the Herd down in the second half.

Fun Boise fact on that game, Boise's head coach said if the Boise fans would break 20,000 in attendance for that game, he would ride a horse down the street. The announced crowd was 20,068.

Kickoff is Friday night, 9pm, on ESPN2.

If you want to make a last minute prediction, check the link below..

https://marshall.forums.rivals.com/threads/predict-a-score-thread-boise-state.44255/#post-629940

The Game Thread will be up later this evening as fans begin to talk about the game, and how it is playing out.

Enjoy, and stay safe!

What a trip.

My son and I started out by flying to Jackson Hole Wyoming on Wednesday, we then drove north to the Buffalo Valley Ranch and spent the night in a very cold Covered Wagon. It was around 40 degrees, the baseboard heater didnt work, but the heavy blankets were awesome. We woke up to incredible views of the Grand Teton Mountains. We then drove up and through Yellowstone, which is amazing and I recommend everyone trying to do at least once.

After that it was a 6 hour drive back down through Idaho to Boise.

Boise, is of course bigger, and much more...whats the political term, liberal? Maybe? Sorry, i am a political moron. Anyway, other than that, it really is similar to Huntington. What is really cool is people actually know there is a football game today.

We are currently setting here at the team hotel, attempting to deal with the time difference, I have always been terrible at that even when I tell myself I am going to stay on East coast time.

Big Green Tailgate is in a couple hours at a place called the Ram, it is right across from the stadium. The stadium area is nice, but the parking appears kinda tight, we do not realize how lucky we have it at home games when it comes to parking.

Based on what I have seen, and things i have seen on social media, I would expect a very good turnout of Marshall fans tonight. I would say we will have more tonight, on a Friday, than they will next year when they travel to Huntington.

Things I have overheard or have been said to me:

From the rancher checking us in at our covered wagon, " I have heard of the "Marshalls", i am from Cleveland, a friend of mine played on the team after the plane crash.

From the Waitress at breakfast this morning, after a guy in our party gave her a hug when he walked in, "Where is Marshall" I said Huntington, WV, she said, "ahhh that explains the hug, gotcha"

Last night at dinner from the table behind us who saw us all in green, "I think they had a plane crash at some point and there was a movie about it." I overheard him talking to the group at his table.

Back to the game. One would assume it will come down to whether or not Marshall can stop the run. I have a feeling that Boise is going to try and pass the football. Darius Hodge, and the rest of the defensive ends are going to have to find a way to get pressure on the quarterback.

Marshall needs to get off the field early, and score early. I like our chances if those two things happen.

History:

The two teams have only met one time, in Boise in 1994. It was the semifinals, and it was Marshall's first road, non championship game, playoff game since Appalachian State in 1992. Marshall stormed out to a 24 to 7 lead,and temporarily knocked out their quarterback. Boise, as we all know, came back and won the game 28 to 24, shutting the Herd down in the second half.

Fun Boise fact on that game, Boise's head coach said if the Boise fans would break 20,000 in attendance for that game, he would ride a horse down the street. The announced crowd was 20,068.

Kickoff is Friday night, 9pm, on ESPN2.

If you want to make a last minute prediction, check the link below..

https://marshall.forums.rivals.com/threads/predict-a-score-thread-boise-state.44255/#post-629940

The Game Thread will be up later this evening as fans begin to talk about the game, and how it is playing out.

Enjoy, and stay safe!
Aaron - glad to know you enjoyed the Wyoming portion of your trip. Tetons!!! Awesomeness...…...go HERD!!

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
When we were in Jackson Hole in July, I saw a young teenage boy that had T shirt on with mountains on shaped like boobs and it read - "I like big Tetons!"

I told my wife I needed one of those. LOL!

A good strategy to deal with the time difference is to stay up late the first night in the new time zone. At least that has helped me when I've traveled to the Pacific and Mountain time zones.

Reactions: Aaron Perkins
Please don't hesitate to bust on Huntington, Marshall fans, etc. for the rest of the day, it is getting close to game time so you don't have a lot of time left.

Reactions: herd66
You are way off concerning downtown Huntington. For a city of its size, the downtown is usually busy and many people out and about.
In fact, I travel extensively and many larger cities would love to the activity going on in downtown Huntington.

Reactions: Aaron Perkins
Classy! Boise has no homeless or panhandlers? That would the only city I know of.

I’m sure they do. After eating three meals all while walking to/from, and saying two nights in Boise downtown, I haven’t seen a single one.

This place is far nicer than your average similarly sized city. A lot of that has to do with the population explosion over the last 25 years resulting in new buildings. Regardless of the reason, it’s in the opposite end of the spectrum from Huntington.

Reactions: mubaseballking
You are way off concerning downtown Huntington. For a city of its size, the downtown is usually busy and many people out and about.
In fact, I travel extensively and many larger cities would love to the activity going on in downtown Huntington.

Usually only when there is a large event, festival, etc. I've been in downtown Huntington on plenty of evenings in the last few years and I wouldn't consider it 'busy' or with 'many people out and about.' Perhaps it depends on your definition of 'busy' and 'many people.'

I’m sure they do. After eating three meals all while walking to/from, and saying two nights in Boise downtown, I haven’t seen a single one.

This place is far nicer than your average similarly sized city. A lot of that has to do with the population explosion over the last 25 years resulting in new buildings. Regardless of the reason, it’s in the opposite end of the spectrum from Huntington.

Did you get a chance to check out Jack's Urban Meeting Place while in Boise? I have a friend that has traveled to Boise a handful of times for work and he raved about the place after his last trip.

Usually only when there is a large event, festival, etc. I've been in downtown Huntington on plenty of evenings in the last few years and I wouldn't consider it 'busy' or with 'many people out and about.' Perhaps it depends on your definition of 'busy' and 'many people.'

**** you. Obviously you aren’t here very often.

I never said Huntington was comparable to Boise. It’s not obviously but for this city, the downtown area is more active on a regular basis than many larger cities.

Go fvck yourself, you little trolling worm. You don’t come to someone’s board and begin disparaging our city. Grow up.

Then get off of your ass and do something about it. I hear you bitching. I’m not hearing any solutions. If you don’t like it here, then by all means leave. And if you do leave, then you have no reason to bitch. It’s quite simple.

Well, for one, i thought it a bit harsh. Two, I couldn’t care less if you can see what i delete or not. Three, i originally thought you might have been a boise troll until i saw some common syntax and phrasing between you and someone else... cough cough. So I decided to delete that and say something else to see if I could confirm what i now think. Pretty sure i am correct.

So like I said. Lmao for putting me on blast and welcome back. Cheers.

Yes, it is true that Boise is really no bigger than metropolitan Huntington or Charleston. The capitol campus isn't much, as there are buildings right up against it across a narrow street -- no grounds.

Yet it has this huge airport with great service and about 25-30 gates. I asked a guy why and he said you have to understand that people come from 500-600 miles away to use it. In other words, there ain't nothin' out there!

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Yes, it is true that Boise is really no bigger than metropolitan Huntington or Charleston. The capitol campus isn't much, as there are buildings right up against it across a narrow street -- no grounds.

How drunk were you during your time in Boise?

Boise's population: 231,000
Huntington's population: 46,000
Charleston's population: 47,000

Boise MSA: 730,000
Huntington MSA: 357,000
Charleston MSA: 240,000

No matter how you look at it (city population or MSA), Boise is significantly bigger than Huntington or Charleston. You could put both Huntington and Charleston together, and it wouldn't even be close to half the population of Boise. You could put the Huntington and Charleston MSAs together, and it would still be over 130,000 fewer people than Boise's. The downtown area of Boise was entirely different and much bigger than either Huntington or Charleston.

Nearly half of the adult population of Boise has a Bachelor's Degree or higher. That's damn impressive. That number for Huntington is around 27%. Boise's household income average is $55,000. Huntington's is $33,000. 14% of the Boise population lives in poverty. In Huntington, it is 33%.

Outside of a lack of diversity, Boise is as different from Huntington as you can imagine.

My deleted post in this thread raved about how nice and new the buildings were, the plethora of delicious restaurants (locally owned, not chains), the high-end options for clothing and food, how active the entire city was (not just the campus area), how unique the stores were, etc. I've lived all over the country, and I was shocked that Boise was one of the coolest small cities I've seen.

And what I saw wasn't different than what others have noticed. I was just sent this article today where Forbes listed Boise as the fastest growing metropolitan area in the country:

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/article202865919.html

It reminded me of being in Huntington. That’s all

I wasn’t talking about the size, or the median income, or how smart their population was. Simply saying it reminded me of being in Huntington.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT