ADVERTISEMENT

Great win vs WKU

Well, that is a circular argument. Yes, football and basketball are different. Football games do carry more importance than basketball games. Going undefeated in football happens, what, 2 out of 3 years? If Clemson had lost to Syracuse, which it almost did, it would not have even played for the championship. Duke just lost, to Syracuse, and that did not mean a thing. Going undefeated in basketball hasn't happened since the 70s. I get that.

But, the whole "our goals are ahead of us" is just a truism. Because there is always a conference tournament and anybody can "get hot in the conference tournament and who knows" then everybody's goals are ahead of them. By that logic, we should not post about basketball except for the weekend of the conference tournament.

I don't think we are "comparing football to basketball". We are comparing the treatment of our, IMHO quite good football coach to the treatment of our, IMHO, also quite good basketball coach. Doc is doing a good job and people that are down on him are, IMHO, delusional, unrealistic, and just plain wrong. DD had a magic 8 days last March, and has taken a program that was disfunctional and made it at least relevant. Neither should be fired. I, for one, also do not understand, and will never understand, the disregard that the football negative people have for CUSA. It is important to remember that CUSA exists FOR FOOTBALL. It is made up of schools that all want to play football on the same level. Men's basketball, and everything else, were brought along for the ride. Different CUSA teams have different commitment levels to basketball, different goals, different interest levels. If you are going to say beating this or that in football is "nothing" and should be "automatic" then what do you say about half the league that makes a nominal effort at basketball?
I believe you are correct Sam (Indiana Bob ("hide the chairs!) Knight in the mid 70's.........

I feel like I am Trump & Sam is Chuck/Nancy.....at least "they" now believe the basketball team is "relevant"!! Maybe that wall funding is possible after all.....

DD had a magic 8 days last March,

You keep making that claim as if it is the only thing D'Antoni has done. You fail to acknowledge that he led Marshall to the championship game the previous year, won the championship the next year, and has them in first place so far this season. He has done that in years 3-4-5. Doc accomplished something similar in years 4-5-6. It took him a year longer and then he hasn't reached anything close to that success in the next three years.

If D'Antoni has a great year this year, then follows that up with three average years like Doc has had, you can bet there will also be some disgruntled basketball fans.

And that's ignoring the fact that football at Marshall has a much better chance at sustaining winning seasons than Marshall basketball does currently.

YES IT WAS......Remember the HERD had NEVER won a NCAA game. One must crawl before they walk. DD has made Marshall a basketball school AGAIN and some of the Folks that love MU football HATE it because $$$$ is being direct to basketball and not 100% to football. Now, that BASEBALL is going to FINALLY get a stadium...It's About DANG TIME....."

HerdZilla22 (G Sweeney) in Charlotte

You guys need to raise your standards.

"Life changing" deals with weddings, births, deaths, a large inheritance, a huge job promotion, a very tragic incident, etc.

Winning a basketball game - especially a college basketball game that puts you only in the round of 36 - is far from "life changing," especially as a fan . . . unless you have a pretty bizarre life where you prioritize college athletics as one of your top items in life while also having your goals be quite low.

Agree 100%. Which shows there was an issue, if we're losing to Ohio by the same amount as we're losing to some big schools. After losing Penava, we struggled finding someone to fill the void. We tried with Iran Bennett, which wasn't working--then he got hurt. We tried with Sustic, who got hurt. We tried with Beyers, who is now coming on after finally getting his footing since he didn't start practicing with the team until August. Then we moved a 6'5 180lb freshman into that role, and we've looked like a different team since.

And this comparing of basketball to football is so stupid. Basketball isn't the same as football. Losing a game or two, playing poorly for a stretch, and not bringing your best early in the season doesn't mean as much in basketball as it does in football. That great season we had this year in football also had an ass reaming at home by the hands of NCST, but that game didn't mean nearly as much as losing the game to MTSU. Hell yeah, that sucked the life out of the season and gave everyone a bad taste. That cost us a CUSA east division title and a CUSA title game appearance. That game was a huge loss--at home. The reason why people aren't pissed about the ass reamings we took in the OOC play in basketball are because all of our goals are still ahead of us. We don't need help from anyone else to compete for a CUSA title. If we drop one of these games at home this week, that fact still remains. That's the difference between the sense of urgency in football and basketball. So stop comparing, it's moronic.

I'm comparing the fan reactions to the two. Of course the sports are different.
However, its increasing that their reactions will be about the same at season's end.

Reactions: The Real SamC

"Life changing" deals with weddings, births, deaths, a large inheritance, a huge job promotion, a very tragic incident, etc.

Winning a basketball game - especially a college basketball game that puts you only in the round of 36 - is far from "life changing," especially as a fan . . . unless you have a pretty bizarre life where you prioritize college athletics as one of your top items in life while also having your goals be quite low.

The last part of your post is pretty much what (seems to be) an increasing amount of people everywhere in sports.

I'm comparing the fan reactions to the two. Of course the sports are different.
However, its increasing that their reactions will be about the same at season's end.
I was explaining why the reactions are different. There's a much larger sense of urgency in football. You lose one game in the first half of the season and you're relying on help from someone else to achieve your goals. Basketball isn't like that, which is why people don't flip out when we lay an egg in basketball.

Reactions: ARandomHerdFan
Zilla I am a huge Danny fan. I think he has done some great things as the coach of Marshall and I hope he is here for a long time!, but I absolutely hate the OOC mentality that he has in basketball.

Getting blown out by the 3 big conference teams we played and getting beat bad by Ohio sucks. They do mean something. First off playing the schedule that we played OOC if we had won the majority of those games and played a team like UVA tough we wouldn’t have to win the conference tournament to make it to the NCAA.

Right now there is zero margin for error, if we don’t win the CUSA regular season title in my opinion, due to our poor OOC performance, we won’t get invited to the NIT should we fail to win the CUSA tournament. If we don’t win the CUSA tournament, even if we go undefeated in CUSA regular season, we won’t even sniff an at large NCAA bid.

So in my humble opinion the OOC is definitely worth spit.

Your a HUGE Danny fan? Aren't you the guy that said you here a team manager while at Marshall? If so, didn't you learn anything except how to wash and press uniforms? His X's and O's are atrocious, I'm starting to believe he is too nice a guy to be a HC, maybe an asst., but not a Head Coach.

"due to our poor OOC performance, we won’t get invited to the NIT should we fail to win the CUSA tournament. If we don’t win the CUSA tournament, even if we go undefeated in CUSA regular season, we won’t even sniff an at large NCAA bid."

You have that right. CBI maybe a reach by the time Conference is done. Let's not be FAU and get excited about one tournament appearance, tie up DD for the next decade, only to be kicking ourselves in the ass two years later.

Last edited:
His X's and O's are atrocious, I'm starting to believe he is too nice a guy to be a HC, maybe an asst., but not a Head Coach.
giphy.gif

How is going 9-4 in the 130-odd member elite top division of college football, with a bowl win not "great" is a silly question. Of course it is. Now, is it as "great" as it could have been, or as "great" as some past season? No. But still great.

Now on to basketball. 22 years. OK. Is MU basketball any different than it was 22 years ago? 32? 42? Whatever? Nope. Not at all.

I will never understand this fan base today. The same people who, at the same time demand 13-0 perfection in football and consider the conference it is done in to be nothing, are thrilled with .500 basketball.

This is such a straw man argument. Nobody is calling for Marshall to go undefeated. The biggest complaint that people have with the doc era is his abysmal record against teams with a winning record and in the fact that he has wine 1 championship in a watered down CUSA.
Your a HUGE Danny fan? Aren't you the guy that said you here a team manager while at Marshall? If so, didn't you learn anything except how to wash and press uniforms? His X's and O's are atrocious, I'm starting to believe he is too nice a guy to be a HC, maybe an asst., but not a Head Coach.

"due to our poor OOC performance, we won’t get invited to the NIT should we fail to win the CUSA tournament. If we don’t win the CUSA tournament, even if we go undefeated in CUSA regular season, we won’t even sniff an at large NCAA bid."

You have that right. CBI maybe a reach by the time Conference is done. Let's not be FAU and get excited about one tournament appearance, tie up DD for the next decade, only to be kicking ourselves in the ass two years later.

Dude I don’t know wtf you are talking about. I’ve never been a team manager at Marshall. I honestly didn’t read anything else you wrote after that.

Last edited:
I feel like I am Trump & Sam is Chuck/Nancy.....at least "they" now believe the basketball team is "relevant"!! Maybe that wall funding is possible after all.....

I'm Trump, but anyway, what more can you call this team but "relevant" ? We really have not been relevant since Huck.

16-17 was solid, and leaving out the magic eight day, 17-18 was also solid, and with it it was very special. This year S&S had us #25 pre-season, before we fell flat on our face. That is relevant. Relevant is good. This year's team still has a chance at another solid year. Of course the big tournament is predicated on "get hot in the conference tournament and who knows" and, leaving out the win the league-lose the tournament NIT loophole, the NIT is probably out too, but a solid pay-to-play post-season seems likely.

:eek:

Sam - out of one side of your mouth, you argue that all of us should not post until "the week before the tournament" since none of the other games have any bearing on our post-season aspirations...........out of the other side of your mouth, you have enough of an "Eyeore" perspective to think it's important that we hear your grand "Oh, bother" prediction about the remaining games before the tournament...................which is it? Can't be both.

johns:
I am a HUGE Dan D'Antoni fan!! Loved watching him play when I was a 8-9 year-old kid - he could really handle the point + score when needed. I think he ended up averaging close to 18 a game? He was part of the most exciting thing to happen to a Marshall round ball team in 20 years when the Herd took NYC by storm in the NIT!! Talk about a magical ride......Dan & the boys made Marshall the talk of the Big Apple for a couple of days......
How can an objective "fan" callout his X's & O's? He's had pretty good results, and if you have bothered to watch the timeouts he certainly doesn't look lost! The D'Antoni coaching tree is pretty damn stout. Could it be in the 600+ games he has coached he picked a few things up along the way? I would venture to say that if you were standing in front of him, you probably wouldn't make that statement to his face......

NIT bids are automatic for regular season conference champs who don't win their conference tournament and don't get invited to the NCAA tournament as an at-large.

I would like to share your optimism, but FIU and FAU are decent teams and the two best teams in the conference are in Texas. I doubt very seriously, they win the conference in league play.

johns:
I am a HUGE Dan D'Antoni fan!!
How can an objective "fan" callout his X's & O's? He's had pretty good results, and if you have bothered to watch the timeouts he certainly doesn't look lost! The D'Antoni coaching tree is pretty damn stout. Could it be in the 600+ games he has coached he picked a few things up along the way? I would venture to say that if you were standing in front of him, you probably wouldn't make that statement to his face......

That's cause I know X's and O's and it's hard to watch when your running a spread offense against a 2-3 and a guard tries to take the ball to the rim with n o rebounds to be found. Look up my threads I posted a couple of videos with examples of that and other questionable plays.

"I would venture to say that if you were standing in front of him, you probably wouldn't make that statement to his face....."

Yes I would, I would love to know why he thinks they are an offensive team but refuse to FC or 3/4 court press, or crash the O boards.

"He was part of the most exciting thing to happen to a Marshall round ball team in 20 years when the Herd took NYC by storm in the NIT!!"

You mean the 8 point loss to Middle Tenn in 2012? I'm sure they had them shaking in their boots! MU is 4-14 is post season play!

Last edited:
I would like to share your optimism, but FIU and FAU are decent teams and the two best teams in the conference are in Texas. I doubt very seriously, they win the conference in league play.

That's cause I know X's and O's and it's hard to watch when your running a spread offense against a 2-3 and a guard tries to take the ball to the rim with n o rebounds to be found. Look up my threads I posted a couple of videos with examples of that and other questionable plays.

"I would venture to say that if you were standing in front of him, you probably wouldn't make that statement to his face....."

Yes I would, I would love to know why he thinks they are an offensive team but refuse to FC or 3/4 court press, or crash the O boards.

"He was part of the most exciting thing to happen to a Marshall round ball team in 20 years when the Herd took NYC by storm in the NIT!!"

You mean the 8 point loss to Middle Tenn in 2012? I'm sure they had them shaking in their boots! MU is 4-14 is post season play!

.......with all due respect, you may have a superior x’s & o’s acumen, but you suck when it comes to Herd b-ball history!!
When I stated the 1967 Herd were the best thing in 20 years, I was referring to the 1947 NAIA small college Natty champs with “The Old Man” pacing the sideline. That took place in Cali. The football team was playing Davidson in the Tangerine bowl in (Florida?), so some of the football players who also played hoops couldn’t travel to the west coast. Nevertheless, Marshall college ran through 5 or 6 games to claim (our only?) National title. The next year MU made the tourney again but was eliminated.
Fast forward 20 years. Ellis Johnson put together a “great” squad that incl Stone, Love, Allen (6’9” center) and Dandy Dan (soph). Stone pours in 46 to beat Nebraska. That put the Herd in the semis, where they went down. Played the Rutgers(?) team that included a tough guard last name Valvano. Lost. Still, a tremendous accomplishment for the little school from the hollers of WV. The next year (I guess the “Gahden” liked us!) we played the big “E” Elvin Hayes and the Houston Cougars. I think they won by 8, but we acquitted ourselves quite well. Around that same time, that Houston club pulled off one of the greatest upsets of all time, upending @ UCLA to break the Bruins’ incredible 80 some game win streak...

I’m just telling you that what the skinny point guard from Mullen’s is doing right now is not something Marshall sees but once every 20-30 years. We should appreciate the ride! The above is a lot of the reason DD feels so passionately about what is happening.....and if you think that “aw shucks” persona means he is too nice to want to win? Well, then you don’t know much about the oldest son of Lewis D’Antoni.
WS

Reactions: Herd1972
As an afterthought one big ass mistake DD made was letting P go and not have MH solve the Money $$$ for P! They now see that as a major learning process as a Coach which DD should have dealt with when he got wind of the possibility of his leaving! He let P down! Danny I hope you learned a lesson with that issue once and for all time!

.......with all due respect, you may have a superior x’s & o’s acumen, but you suck when it comes to Herd b-ball history!!
When I stated the 1967 Herd were the best thing in 20 years, I was referring to the 1947 NAIA small college Natty champs with “The Old Man” pacing the sideline. That took place in Cali. The football team was playing Davidson in the Tangerine bowl in (Florida?), so some of the football players who also played hoops couldn’t travel to the west coast. Nevertheless, Marshall college ran through 5 or 6 games to claim (our only?) National title. The next year MU made the tourney again but was eliminated.
Fast forward 20 years. Ellis Johnson put together a “great” squad that incl Stone, Love, Allen (6’9” center) and Dandy Dan (soph). Stone pours in 46 to beat Nebraska. That put the Herd in the semis, where they went down. Played the Rutgers(?) team that included a tough guard last name Valvano. Lost. Still, a tremendous accomplishment for the little school from the hollers of WV. The next year (I guess the “Gahden” liked us!) we played the big “E” Elvin Hayes and the Houston Cougars. I think they won by 8, but we acquitted ourselves quite well. Around that same time, that Houston club pulled off one of the greatest upsets of all time, upending @ UCLA to break the Bruins’ incredible 80 some game win streak...

I’m just telling you that what the skinny point guard from Mullen’s is doing right now is not something Marshall sees but once every 20-30 years. We should appreciate the ride! The above is a lot of the reason DD feels so passionately about what is happening.....and if you think that “aw shucks” persona means he is too nice to want to win? Well, then you don’t know much about the oldest son of Lewis D’Antoni.
WS

COULD NOT HAVE SAID IT ANY BETTER...WS.

HerdZilla22 In Charlotte

North Texas & UTSA

UTSA well coached and very diverse.

Sorry W-S, I'm one of the 10% on this board who is under 70.
UNT played nobody with a pulse in the OOC schedule except Oklahoma and they lost that one.
UTSA is a prettty good team but to say those 2 are the best in the league is crazy. Yes, they have a gaudy record but their lack of competition.
Look at ODU, WKU and Marshall. Games against Syracuse, Wisconsin, Arkansas, UVA and Maryland. Were all wins? No. But I believe that our win total would have been much higher too, like the Texas and for that matter Florida teams, had we been playing Angelo State, Humboldt State, A&M Commerce, Maine, St. Edwards, Houston Baptist, Mid American, Webber Intl, Ave Maria, Florida Memorial, Florida Tech and Palm Beach Atlantic.

UNT played nobody with a pulse in the OOC schedule except Oklahoma and they lost that one.
UTSA is a prettty good team but to say those 2 are the best in the league is crazy. Yes, they have a gaudy record but their lack of competition.
Look at ODU, WKU and Marshall. Games against Syracuse, Wisconsin, Arkansas, UVA and Maryland. Were all wins? No. But I believe that our win total would have been much higher too, like the Texas and for that matter Florida teams, had we been playing Angelo State, Humboldt State, A&M Commerce, Maine, St. Edwards, Houston Baptist, Mid American, Webber Intl, Ave Maria, Florida Memorial, Florida Tech and Palm Beach Atlantic.
I was going to reply but you said exactly what I was thinking.

Saying UTSA and UNT are the two best teams in the league simply because they're atop the standings (with us, BTW) is lazy.

North Texas & UTSA

UTSA well coached and very diverse.

Sorry W-S, I'm one of the 10% on this board who is under 70.

Hey hey hey........I’m not even 60! (59). Look forward to your insight going forward. I watch intensely, but don’t know how to look for the intricacies.......all I know is Kinsey can juuuuuuump outta da gym!
Go Herd!!

As an afterthought one big ass mistake DD made was letting P go and not have MH solve the Money $$$ for P! They now see that as a major learning process as a Coach which DD should have dealt with when he got wind of the possibility of his leaving! He let P down! Danny I hope you learned a lesson with that issue once and for all time!

Just exactly what are you intimating?
If P means Penava the real issue had nothing to do with money.

WS

Really good summation, enjoyed it!

Just a couple of things.

- It was the 1947 NAIB Championship, that organization preceded the forming of NAIA, virtually the same entity.
- The NAIB(NAIA) was, and still is, played in Kansas City.
- The tournament that ran in conflict with the bowl game was the Los Angeles Inv played during the Christmas holiday 1947.
- MU lost to Catawba 7-0 in the Tangerine Bowl which at that time was the bowl game for small colleges on the east coast.
- Love? Maybe you thinking of Bob Redd or Jim Davidson.
- Jim Valvano did indeed run point for Rutgers, their star was a little shooting guard named Bobby Lloyd.

*** You are absolutely on the mark concerning DD. He was a very very competitive little s**t as the Herd’s point guard and he is still bringing it.

Really good summation, enjoyed it!

Just a couple of things.

- It was the 1947 NAIB Championship, that organization preceded the forming of NAIA, virtually the same entity.
- The NAIB(NAIA) was, and still is, played in Kansas City.
- The tournament that ran in conflict with the bowl game was the Los Angeles Inv played during the Christmas holiday 1947.
- MU lost to Catawba 7-0 in the Tangerine Bowl which at that time was the bowl game for small colleges on the east coast.
- Love? Maybe you thinking of Bob Redd or Jim Davidson.
- Jim Valvano did indeed run point for Rutgers, their star was a little shooting guard named Bobby Lloyd.

*** You are absolutely on the mark concerning DD. He was a very very competitive little s**t as the Herd’s point guard and he is still bringing it.
Absolutely right - Bob Redd. Davidson was tough as nails. Met Bob Allen once @ the B&B across the street from the Fieldhouse..... had never seen someone that tall up close!
I was a kid that made up my own scoresheet before the radio broadcast. Sat listening to every second, trying to keep track of the pts ft reb and indv scoring......

Reactions: GreenDuke
Absolutely right - Bob Redd. Davidson was tough as nails. Met Bob Allen once @ the B&B across the street from the Fieldhouse..... has never seen someone that tall up close!
I was a kid that made up my own scoresheet before the radio broadcast. Sat listening to every second, trying to keep track of the pts ft reb and indv scoring......

Very nice. I too made score sheets and listened on radio. Lou Mott, Bobby Burgess, Hal Greer, Leo Byrd, John Milhoan, Mickey Sydenstricker were some of my childhood favorites.

Bob Allen was one of nicest guys I’ve ever known. Just a prince of a fella.

UNT and UTSA are both really good teams. They'll be right there competing to get into that top group for the last few weeks of the season. But to claim anyone has done anything to date to put them above the rest of the field, is a bit premature. Our resume may not look as good to date, but with how we've looked & who we've beat since changing some things around, I like where we're heading. UNT & UTSA haven't beaten anyone of substance OOC, and even with ODU & WKU's OOC victories, I'd rather be sitting where we're at than they are (ODU with 1 conference loss on their home court--to us, and WKU with 2 conference losses--one to us). I'm not going to claim we're the best in the conference, but we're sitting in a pretty good spot right now. HAVE to take care of business tonight and Saturday.

Last edited:
Bob Allen was one of nicest guys I’ve ever known. Just a prince of a fella.[/QUOTE]

I remember Allen in our first game of the 1967 NIT Tournament. We played Villanova. A bunch of us South Hall residents watching the game in the lounge went crazy when he sank two free throws to give us the victory.

UTSA 10-7, 4-0, but 3 of those wins are versus non- DI teams, and the rest are one-bid league randos. For weird reasons it has already played a really bad UTEP twice. Remember it plays to crowds of several in its 4K seat gym, because the two main sports at UTSA are football and football practice. Nothing to see there, move along.

UNT 16-2, 4-1is a little different. Only non-conference loss was to Oklahoma and it played a fairly good schedule. They are solid.

You must have not had your Bifocals on when you look at the schedule, or you intentionally left out Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Arkansas, and even a tough UCI team.

UTSA has a very mobile Forward / Sm. Center in Allen with Jackson
and Wallace shooting over 42% from the field they will give Herd fits.

I was going to reply but you said exactly what I was thinking.

Saying UTSA and UNT are the two best teams in the league simply because they're atop the standings (with us, BTW) is lazy.

ESPN+ you can watch both teams. I suggest you check it out. Especially, UTSA they are better then their record indicates.

Bob Allen was one of nicest guys I’ve ever known. Just a prince of a fella.

I remember Allen in our first game of the 1967 NIT Tournament. We played Villanova. A bunch of us South Hall residents watching the game in the lounge went crazy when he sank two free throws to give us the victory.[/QUOTE]

What made it memorable was that Allen was a very average free throw shooter. All credit to him for knocking them down on a big stage.

Sam - out of one side of your mouth, you argue that all of us should not post until "the week before the tournament" since none of the other games have any bearing on our post-season aspirations

Not wanting to quote a POS politician, but it depends on what "us" means. If your entire basketball take can be summed up as:

"one time we got hot in the conference tournament and we could again, who knows, this is all just part of the plan, the boys will come together come tournament time...."

then what else do you need say? The games do not matter anyway. The comeback to any post is the twin prongs of that one time in 2018 and the idea that it might happen again.

But, for those of US who understand and follow basketball, we know these games do matter, and matter very much. We failed in the non-conference and need to get a lot, a lot, a lot, better to reach our potential.

UTSA 10-7, 4-0, but 3 of those wins are versus non- DI teams, and the rest are one-bid league randos. For weird reasons it has already played a really bad UTEP twice. Remember it plays to crowds of several in its 4K seat gym, because the two main sports at UTSA are football and football practice. Nothing to see there, move along.

UNT 16-2, 4-1is a little different. Only non-conference loss was to Oklahoma and it played a fairly good schedule. They are solid.
UTSA beat North Texas. They're a better team and have played a much better schedule (126th).

UNT has played Angelo State, Humboldt State, Texas A&M Commerce, UMES, Saint Peter's and Arkansas Pine Bluff. Their schedule is ranked 285th. That's not fairly good. Not even close.

Reactions: Herdmeister
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT