ADVERTISEMENT

Great win vs WKU

OK, I'll play. So, if the definition of a "great" win is only one gained in the course of the NCAA mens Division I basketball tournament, does that mean that in the history of our program, we have accomplished only 1 "great" WIN? And if the answer to that ? is yes, how do we then categorize all of the rest of our victories on the hardwood?

But then you stated the "last" "great" win.......does that mean that in fact you would consider other wins by the Herd in the same category, and if so which ones? Actually interested to see what you will say....

If you want to play, then play. Please list the wins you consider great this year. Now we have had a LOT of great wins in previous years, but this year we have beaten, what, three teams with winning records?

So, beating 8-8 WKU at home by one point is a "great win" ?

Wow.

What a low standard.

Zilla I am a huge Danny fan. I think he has done some great things as the coach of Marshall and I hope he is here for a long time!, but I absolutely hate the OOC mentality that he has in basketball.

Getting blown out by the 3 big conference teams we played and getting beat bad by Ohio sucks. They do mean something. First off playing the schedule that we played OOC if we had won the majority of those games and played a team like UVA tough we wouldn’t have to win the conference tournament to make it to the NCAA.

Right now there is zero margin for error, if we don’t win the CUSA regular season title in my opinion, due to our poor OOC performance, we won’t get invited to the NIT should we fail to win the CUSA tournament. If we don’t win the CUSA tournament, even if we go undefeated in CUSA regular season, we won’t even sniff an at large NCAA bid.

So in my humble opinion the OOC is definitely worth spit.

Reactions: The Real SamC
If you want to play, then play. Please list the wins you consider great this year. Now we have had a LOT of great wins in previous years, but this year we have beaten, what, three teams with winning records?

So, beating 8-8 WKU at home by one point is a "great win" ?

Wow.

What a low standard.
Speaking of low standards, earlier in this thread you described our recent football season as great.

Here's who we beat:
6-6 Miami (OH)
FCS EKU
3-9 WKU
4-8 ODU
5-7 FAU
5-7 Charlotte
3-9 UTSA
9-4 FIU
7-6 USF

How in the world is that great? It's not if you're being sincere.

Zilla I am a huge Danny fan. I think he has done some great things as the coach of Marshall and I hope he is here for a long time!, but I absolutely hate the OOC mentality that he has in basketball.

Getting blown out by the 3 big conference teams we played and getting beat bad by Ohio sucks. They do mean something. First off playing the schedule that we played OOC if we had won the majority of those games and played a team like UVA tough we wouldn’t have to win the conference tournament to make it to the NCAA.

Right now there is zero margin for error, if we don’t win the CUSA regular season title in my opinion, due to our poor OOC performance, we won’t get invited to the NIT should we fail to win the CUSA tournament. If we don’t win the CUSA tournament, even if we go undefeated in CUSA regular season, we won’t even sniff an at large NCAA bid.

It's a fallacy. We would have to win two of those 3 games, and probably go undefeated in CUSA play until we lost in the CUSA tournament to get an at-large. See MTSU last season. ODU beat Syracuse in the non-conference portion of their schedule. After their loss to us, they'll have to run the table to get an at-large--and I doubt it would still be enough.

The margin of error is so small for the small schools. And the reason MTSU didn't get an at-large bid was because we beat them twice last season. They were ranked when we beat them at the end of the regular season. So MTSU did everything they needed to do all year, had an off night (actually didn't matchup well with us) and their season came down to the CUSA tournament just like our did.

.....nice try. Answer the questions I raised.....or don't. Just trying to have you define what you consider a "great" win. Coaxed from you that we've had "a lot" of great wins.....give us your top 10....

How in the world is that great?

Because it is. If you had told me, 40 years ago during our game in rotten Fairfield versus the mighty Morehead Eagles or VMI Keydets, that MU football would be in I-A, on TV or this new fangled "internet" thing, every week, have played teams like Purdue, Virginia Tech, Kansas State, Ohio State, and Clemson, draw 25 to even 30K to home games, have a LV line on every game, and, in sum, be one of the 130-ish members of the ELITE, TOP division in all the nation, playing in BOWL GAMES on NATIONAL TV, I would have told you you were insane. If you had told me that same year that MU basketball would be DI in a one-bid conference and make the tournament once every generation, I would have said, yeah.

All I, and the rest of us who want basketball to be great again, want is to know what we are and use that knowledge to build for the future. Right now, we have had a FAILED non-conference season. TOTAL FAILURE. Now, we are (by 4 points total) 3-0 in conference. That COULD be the start of recovery, or it could be just a couple of lucky bounces from being 0-3. We need to aspire to MUCH more than that. We need to aspire to be GREAT. And aspiring to greatness and just declaring ones self "great" are two different things.

Last edited:

Cali...you make valid points.
Danny never told me ...."it doesn't mean spit"...my words!

I too am disappointed at our poor play against "said OOC teams" and the team's poor performance. Just goes to prove Penava was The MVP last season.

It is going to be difficult to repeat last year's success and the auto bid.....WKU will most likely defeat The HERD, Jan.21 @ their place. They are a very good 8-8 team and fared much better than Marshall with their OOS schedule [Arkansas, Wisconsin]. They started 3 talented Freshman last Saturday and their 18 year old # 23 is a BEAST.

Marshall rarely plays well @ So Miss (Eagles having a horrible year), Charlotte plays MU well....as does MTSU. FIU is playing better---so no wins are a given.

We will have to wait & see what transpires......

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Because it is. If you had told me, 40 years ago during our game in rotten Fairfield versus the mighty Morehead Eagles or VMI Keydets, that MU football would be in I-A, on TV or this new fangled "internet" thing, every week, have played teams like Purdue, Virginia Tech, Kansas State, Ohio State, and Clemson, draw 25 to even 30K to home games, have a LV line on every game, and, in sum, be one of the 130-ish members of the ELITE, TOP division in all the nation, playing in BOWL GAMES on NATIONAL TV, I would have told you you were insane.
We've been playing D1/FBS football for 22 years. It's time to move on, Sam.

Now answer my question.

Because it is. If you had told me, 40 years ago during our game in rotten Fairfield versus the mighty Morehead Eagles or VMI Keydets, that MU football would be in I-A, on TV or this new fangled "internet" thing, every week, have played teams like Purdue, Virginia Tech, Kansas State, Ohio State, and Clemson, draw 25 to even 30K to home games, have a LV line on every game, and, in sum, be one of the 130-ish members of the ELITE, TOP division in all the nation, playing in BOWL GAMES on NATIONAL TV, I would have told you you were insane. If you had told me that same year that MU basketball would be DI in a one-bid conference and make the tournament once every generation, I would have said, yeah.

So your basis of judging what is "great" and what isn't with football and basketball is comparing those programs to what Marshall was doing 40 years ago in them? Brilliant.

You should have bowed out of this discussion a decade ago.

Speaking of low standards, earlier in this thread you described our recent football season as great.

Here's who we beat:
6-6 Miami (OH)
FCS EKU
3-9 WKU
4-8 ODU
5-7 FAU
5-7 Charlotte
3-9 UTSA
9-4 FIU
7-6 USF

How in the world is that great? It's not if you're being sincere.

I AGREE with you Chris
...a disappointing football season and NO PAY RAISES should be in order! I purchased a season tick....came to one game...NC State.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

All I, and the rest of us who want basketball to be great again, want is to know what we are and use that knowledge to build for the future. Right now, we have had a FAILED non-conference season. TOTAL FAILURE. Now, we are (by 4 points total) 3-0 in conference. That COULD be the start of recovery, or it could be just a couple of lucky bounces from being 0-3. We need to aspire to MUCH more than that. We need to aspire to be GREAT. And aspiring to greatness and just declaring ones self "great" are two different things.

Come on, @ARandomHerdFan . Put it back!

Gotta give the people what they want.

Last edited:
Cali...you make valid points. Danny never told me ...."it doesn't mean spit"...my words!

I too am disappointed at our poor play against "said OOC teams" and the team's poor performance. Just goes to prove Penava was The MVP last season.

It is going to be difficult to repeat last year's success and the auto bid.....WKU will most likely defeat The HERD, Jan.21 @ their place. They are a very good 8-8 team and fared much better than Marshall with their OOS schedule [Arkansas, Wisconsin]. They started 3 talented Freshman last Saturday and their 18 year old # 23 is a BEAST.

Marshall rarely plays well @ So Miss (Eagles having a horrible year), Charlotte plays MU well....as does MTSU. FIU is playing better---so no wins are a given.

We will have to wait & see what transpires......

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte
MTSU had their best team ever last year and lost to us BOTH times we played them.
As for USM, they have about the same record as we do with wins over SMU and UAB. I wouldn't say they are having a horrible year.

...and to think I wasted time arguing against this BS logic.

Jesus Christ, Sean, get your life together...

We've been playing D1/FBS football for 22 years. It's time to move on, Sam.

Now answer my question.

How is going 9-4 in the 130-odd member elite top division of college football, with a bowl win not "great" is a silly question. Of course it is. Now, is it as "great" as it could have been, or as "great" as some past season? No. But still great.

Now on to basketball. 22 years. OK. Is MU basketball any different than it was 22 years ago? 32? 42? Whatever? Nope. Not at all.

I will never understand this fan base today. The same people who, at the same time demand 13-0 perfection in football and consider the conference it is done in to be nothing, are thrilled with .500 basketball.

Is MU basketball any different than it was 22 years ago?
Is MU football?

23 years ago we went undefeated and won the 1AA NC.

20 years ago we went undefeated (in IA, no less) and finished ranked number 10 in the country.

I will never understand this fan base today. The same people who, at the same time demand 13-0 perfection in football and consider the conference it is done in to be nothing, are thrilled with .500 basketball.
.500 Basketball? Marshall is 35-17 overall and 15-6 in conference play over the last 18 months under Coach D.

Last edited:
How is going 9-4 in the 130-odd member elite top division of college football, with a bowl win not "great" is a silly question. Of course it is. Now, is it as "great" as it could have been, or as "great" as some past season? No. But still great.

Now on to basketball. 22 years. OK. Is MU basketball any different than it was 22 years ago? 32? 42? Whatever? Nope. Not at all.

We have not had a .500 basketball team record the last three years.....Dan's 4-Year record at Marshall....83-69 (.546)...NCAA record: 1-1; CUSA Championships (2018).

2014-15....11-21; 7-11 (ran off 46 points/game in year 1 because the top two scorers would not adhere to his team rules (go to class; model citizen; team player)

2015-16.....17-16; 12-6
2016-17.....20-15; 10-8
2017-18.....25-11; 12-6 * CUSA Champs (NCAA 1-1)

2018-19.....10-6; 3-0

Attendance: PRE 2014.......about 1200

Under Coach Dan......Average: 5700

Classroom: Players are graduating.

I support he & his Staff are doing a GOOD JOB

HerdZilla22

I will never understand this fan base today.
The same people who, at the same time demand 13-0 perfection in football and consider the conference it is done in to be nothing, are thrilled with .500 basketball.

Sam - in all seriousness, a little history lesson. Not so much for you; surely you know this already. But for the young-uns on the board:

Wow - I had this "great" post in the making & somehow &%^*%$ screwed it up and lost it.

Short version:
Marshall and Huntington has historically been a basketball town. The older fans know this. The youngest fans have no way to know what it must've been like at The Vanity Fair in the 40's early 50's. They can't know the feeling of the oven-like atmosphere of The Vet, because it is now a soccer complex. Have Danny describe what it was like playing for the Herd in the late 60's. He will tell you a story!!
From the post WWII years up to and including the '71-'72 campaign, you have 27 seasons of the best basketball played by our school in the history of the program. For instance, what in everyone's opinion is the single greatest time period since 1972? Most will say the 1984-87 Huck years were the summit. Since our player (Holden?) dunked in the waning seconds of a game we were losing by THREE in 1988, we have been wandering in the desert. Nearly 30 seasons!!

Since DD took the helm in 2014, MU has been steadily transformed from the gang who couldn't shoot straight into a competitive group that is able to compete year in year out in CUSA.
Beyond that, the players Danny is recruiting for the future are light years beyond what has come before. Huntington loves its football. Huntington lives for its basketball!! It has been this way for a long time. Maybe that is why, Sam, we give the b-ball team more slack. Maybe we fervently WANT the basketball team to succeed, and we know the football team will only disappoint us in the end.
WS

Last edited:
Football greatness is the G5 National Championship aka Access Bowl. Anything less is a good season. (unless the less is a 2016 like season)Rinse ,wash, repeat.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Football greatness is the G5 National Championship aka Access Bowl.

So, in the history of MU Football in I-A, we have had exactly one "great" season. 1999, the only year we would have made the "access bowl" had that system existed then. If you ever run into Coach Pruett, be sure and tell him how you feel.

So what is "great" in basketball? Making the NIT? 20 wins? Making the NCAA? 25 wins? Round of 32? Sweet 16? Winning record? What?

Reactions: johns_1124
So, in the history of MU Football in I-A, we have had exactly one "great" season. 1999, the only year we would have made the "access bowl" had that system existed then. If you ever run into Coach Pruett, be sure and tell him how you feel.

So what is "great" in basketball? Making the NIT? 20 wins? Making the NCAA? 25 wins? Round of 32? Sweet 16? Winning record? What?
The requirements for a “great” season are the same in both sports. A conference championship.

I would absolutely consider getting to the sweet 16 a "great" season. Of course after that the definition would shift to the elite 8 etc. Fans that were in San Diego will tell you that it was somewhat of a life-changing weekend! The coming together of kindred spirits given the sweet taste of popping their NCAA cherry.....who wouldn't love that?

Let's look at OOC. We played some decent teams on the road. Why? They won't come to the Cam. Would we have beaten them at home? Maybe, maybe not. Look at the top 25. They are all virtually undefeated at home and they have played 85%-90% of their games at home. On the road they are not undefeated. So, they are padding their records with teams like MU who will go on the road to gain some EXPERIENCE and find out what they need to work on. Now that it's conference season it's home and home and they won't be padding those records like they did in the OOC. (I believe Michigan is 17-0 and 14 games were at home)

MCGILL: 50 years ago, D'Antoni experienced similar win streak

By Chuck McGill

HerdZone.com

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. - Fifty years later, the memory of a three-game stretch in January is a little fuzzy for Dan D'Antoni.

"I remember very little," he said.

During a 10-day stretch that started on Jan. 21, 1969, senior guard D'Antoni and the Marshall men's basketball team won three consecutive games: 78-76 against Loyola; 100-98 against Bowling Green; and 81-79 against Eastern Kentucky. That is the last time the Thundering Herd won three in a row by 3 points or fewer. That is, until this year's D'Antoni-coached Marshall team reached the New Year.

During a 10-day stretch that started on Jan. 3, the Herd hoops team won three consecutive games: 70-67 at Old Dominion; 85-84 at Charlotte; and 70-69 against Western Kentucky this past Saturday in a rematch of the C-USA tournament championship game last March.

Like D'Antoni's team did 50 years ago this month, this year's Herd made everyone sweat in the middle of winter.

"It shows that this team is competitive," D'Antoni said. "They play all the way through. There's no quit."

D'Antoni's senior year in 1969 was much of the same. Although Ellis Johnson's team finished 9-15 overall and 3-9 in MAC play, the Herd made a habit of winning close games. Marshall twice beat Morehead State by 3 points in December, then beat Yale by 5. There was the three-game stretch in January, and then a 2-point win against Toledo in D'Antoni's final home game on Feb. 19.

But it is the team's January run that has historic implications now.

In 1969, Marshall senior Jim Davidson, who had lost his starting job after 64 consecutive starts, came off the bench to score the game-tying and game-winning baskets against Loyola. Trailing 76-70, D'Antoni sparked the 8-0 run with a field goal, setting the stage for Davidson's heroics.

Four days later, D'Antoni scored a career-high 34 points in a four-overtime win against Bowling Green. Davidson again hit the game-winner, this time with four seconds left of the fourth overtime. He also hit game-tying shots in two of the other overtime periods. Bowling Green led 98-96 in the final OT, but D'Antoni tied it at 98-98 with 1:04 left to set the stage for Davidson.

In the finale of the three-game streak, Marshall rallied from 16 points to beat Eastern Kentucky. The Charleston Daily Mail wrote that "D'Antoni put on a ball-handling act and finally drew an intentional foul with three seconds to go" of the victory. The Herd had a 1-point lead at the time of the foul, but D'Antoni scored the final point in another narrow win.

D'Antoni had to see the similarities play out 50 years later with the Herd.

Marshall entered C-USA play on a two-game losing streak. The team, after a 4-0 start, had lost six of nine games. The host Monarchs led by as many as 7 points with 10:53 left of the first half, and took the lead with 3:29 left of the second half.

Then, in the waning moments of regulation, senior guard Jon Elmore made a cross-court pass across his body to sophomore guard Jarrod West, who sank the game-winning 3-pointer for the win.

Two days later at Charlotte, the Herd trailed in the final minute but swatted away the 49ers' final attempt to preserve the victory.

On Saturday, with preseason C-USA favorite WKU in town, Marshall trailed by as many as 15 points - remember, the Herd trailed by 16 in the third game of a three-game streak 50 years ago - in the first half and the visiting Hilltoppers led as late as 22 seconds left of regulation. After leading for more than 33 minutes, sophomore forward Jannson Williams hit a straight-away 3-pointer with 21 seconds left to give the Herd the lead for good. On the other end, D'Antoni's team thwarted WKU's last-second chances.

"We have a team that can make big plays when it comes time to make them," D'Antoni said. "Defensively, we got stops."

D'Antoni played the hero against Toledo, scoring the game-winning points with two seconds left. The Herd was down 81-77 with three minutes to go, but Marshall scored 6 unanswered points to get the win. D'Antoni scored 33, the final 2 of which came after Johnson called a timeout with 12 seconds left and let D'Antoni try to find a shot against Toledo's zone, and D'Antoni pulled up from 20 feet for the winner. Suddenly, the memory came roaring back.

"You don't get many game-winners," D'Antoni said. "You remember those."

Chuck McGill is the Assistant Athletic Director for

The requirements for a “great” season are the same in both sports. A conference championship.

So if Boise or UCF (or any G5) won their conference championships but got curb stomped and didn't win any major BCS or NY6 bowls...those are "great" seasons?
Weird because people could name the teams Boise and UCF played, and beat in those big bowl games...but could they name the teams they beat in their conference championship games?

Let's look at OOC. We played some decent teams on the road. Why? They won't come to the Cam. Would we have beaten them at home? Maybe, maybe not.

So you are saying home court advantage is worth 37 points to Maryland, 24 points to Texas A&M, and 36 to Virginia? Las Vegas usually gives 3.

It is not that we lost all three of our step up games, it is that we were totally dominated, and not just those three but by lowly Ohio (9-7).

So you are saying home court advantage is worth 37 points to Maryland, 24 points to Texas A&M, and 36 to Virginia? Las Vegas usually gives 3.

It is not that we lost all three of our step up games, it is that we were totally dominated, and not just those three but by lowly Ohio (9-7).

Marshall loses by 37, 24, 36 to OOC teams...
"Oh...Dan has it under control. We're still adjusting. Stay the course. We will be fine."

Marshall loses by 10 to MTSU...
"FIRE DOC! THE SEASON IS OVER! THIS CONSPIRACY BY HAMRICK TO RUIN OUR PROGRAM IS COMING FULL CIRCLE!!! OH GOD NO!!!!!"

Sam - alternate (previously stated) theory: Those games weren’t going to be wins, period. But, they accomplished 2 of Danny’s pre-season goals: Allow the players to go at it vs top shelf talent, & to show them the results of not playing w/in his system, whatever you want to call it. And, to put the record in perspective: we have 15 (I believe) conf games left. Let’s say we go 10-5, and the season record going to Frisco is 20-11. Would most of the fan base feel good about a 20 win reg season record before the 1st tip in November? Hell......yes!!
DD has a plan, don’t doubt it. He knows his guys better than we do. IMO a coach has to be a leader, teacher, counselor & chemist! Finding the right mix, especially early and with the # of newbies we have doesn’t happen quickly.
Sit back, grab a box of popcorn and enjoy the ride....this bunch is fun to watch!

Agree 100%. Which shows there was an issue, if we're losing to Ohio by the same amount as we're losing to some big schools. After losing Penava, we struggled finding someone to fill the void. We tried with Iran Bennett, which wasn't working--then he got hurt. We tried with Sustic, who got hurt. We tried with Beyers, who is now coming on after finally getting his footing since he didn't start practicing with the team until August. Then we moved a 6'5 180lb freshman into that role, and we've looked like a different team since.

And this comparing of basketball to football is so stupid. Basketball isn't the same as football. Losing a game or two, playing poorly for a stretch, and not bringing your best early in the season doesn't mean as much in basketball as it does in football. That great season we had this year in football also had an ass reaming at home by the hands of NCST, but that game didn't mean nearly as much as losing the game to MTSU. Hell yeah, that sucked the life out of the season and gave everyone a bad taste. That cost us a CUSA east division title and a CUSA title game appearance. That game was a huge loss--at home. The reason why people aren't pissed about the ass reamings we took in the OOC play in basketball are because all of our goals are still ahead of us. We don't need help from anyone else to compete for a CUSA title. If we drop one of these games at home this week, that fact still remains. That's the difference between the sense of urgency in football and basketball. So stop comparing, it's moronic.

Winning a college basketball game to get to the round of 32 was a life-changing experience? I hope these "fans" you're speaking of who believe that are no older than six years old.

YES IT WAS......Remember the HERD had NEVER won a NCAA game. One must crawl before they walk. DD has made Marshall a basketball school AGAIN and some of the Folks that love MU football HATE it because $$$$ is being direct to basketball and not 100% to football. Now, that BASEBALL is going to FINALLY get a stadium...It's About DANG TIME....."

HerdZilla22 (G Sweeney) in Charlotte

Agree 100%. Which shows there was an issue, if we're losing to Ohio by the same amount as we're losing to some big schools. After losing Penava, we struggled finding someone to fill the void. We tried with Iran Bennett, which wasn't working--then he got hurt. We tried with Sustic, who got hurt. We tried with Beyers, who is now coming on after finally getting his footing since he didn't start practicing with the team until August. Then we moved a 6'5 180lb freshman into that role, and we've looked like a different team since.

And this comparing of basketball to football is so stupid. Basketball isn't the same as football. Losing a game or two, playing poorly for a stretch, and not bringing your best early in the season doesn't mean as much in basketball as it does in football. That great season we had this year in football also had an ass reaming at home by the hands of NCST, but that game didn't mean nearly as much as losing the game to MTSU. Hell yeah, that sucked the life out of the season and gave everyone a bad taste. That cost us a CUSA east division title and a CUSA title game appearance. That game was a huge loss--at home. The reason why people aren't pissed about the ass reamings we took in the OOC play in basketball are because all of our goals are still ahead of us. We don't need help from anyone else to compete for a CUSA title. If we drop one of these games at home this week, that fact still remains. That's the difference between the sense of urgency in football and basketball. So stop comparing, it's moronic.

THIS POST NEEDS TO BE PLACED BY THE STATUE OF HAL GREER....GREAT POST Sean

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Sam - alternate (previously stated) theory: Those games weren’t going to be wins, period. But, they accomplished 2 of Danny’s pre-season goals: Allow the players to go at it vs top shelf talent, & to show them the results of not playing w/in his system, whatever you want to call it. And, to put the record in perspective: we have 15 (I believe) conf games left. Let’s say we go 10-5, and the season record going to Frisco is 20-11. Would most of the fan base feel good about a 20 win reg season record before the 1st tip in November? Hell......yes!!
DD has a plan, don’t doubt it. He knows his guys better than we do. IMO a coach has to be a leader, teacher, counselor & chemist! Finding the right mix, especially early and with the # of newbies we have doesn’t happen quickly.
Sit back, grab a box of popcorn and enjoy the ride....this bunch is fun to watch!

WELL STATED.....the complainers have to be Democrats!

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

WELL STATED.....the complainers have to be Democrats!

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Confused_Christian_Bale.0.gif

Well, that is a circular argument. Yes, football and basketball are different. Football games do carry more importance than basketball games. Going undefeated in football happens, what, 2 out of 3 years? If Clemson had lost to Syracuse, which it almost did, it would not have even played for the championship. Duke just lost, to Syracuse, and that did not mean a thing. Going undefeated in basketball hasn't happened since the 70s. I get that.

But, the whole "our goals are ahead of us" is just a truism. Because there is always a conference tournament and anybody can "get hot in the conference tournament and who knows" then everybody's goals are ahead of them. By that logic, we should not post about basketball except for the weekend of the conference tournament.

I don't think we are "comparing football to basketball". We are comparing the treatment of our, IMHO quite good football coach to the treatment of our, IMHO, also quite good basketball coach. Doc is doing a good job and people that are down on him are, IMHO, delusional, unrealistic, and just plain wrong. DD had a magic 8 days last March, and has taken a program that was disfunctional and made it at least relevant. Neither should be fired. I, for one, also do not understand, and will never understand, the disregard that the football negative people have for CUSA. It is important to remember that CUSA exists FOR FOOTBALL. It is made up of schools that all want to play football on the same level. Men's basketball, and everything else, were brought along for the ride. Different CUSA teams have different commitment levels to basketball, different goals, different interest levels. If you are going to say beating this or that in football is "nothing" and should be "automatic" then what do you say about half the league that makes a nominal effort at basketball?

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
Well, that is a circular argument. Yes, football and basketball are different. Football games do carry more importance than basketball games. Going undefeated in football happens, what, 2 out of 3 years? If Clemson had lost to Syracuse, which it almost did, it would not have even played for the championship. Duke just lost, to Syracuse, and that did not mean a thing. Going undefeated in basketball hasn't happened since the 70s. I get that.

But, the whole "our goals are ahead of us" is just a truism. Because there is always a conference tournament and anybody can "get hot in the conference tournament and who knows" then everybody's goals are ahead of them. By that logic, we should not post about basketball except for the weekend of the conference tournament.

I don't think we are "comparing football to basketball". We are comparing the treatment of our, IMHO quite good football coach to the treatment of our, IMHO, also quite good basketball coach. Doc is doing a good job and people that are down on him are, IMHO, delusional, unrealistic, and just plain wrong. DD had a magic 8 days last March, and has taken a program that was disfunctional and made it at least relevant. Neither should be fired. I, for one, also do not understand, and will never understand, the disregard that the football negative people have for CUSA. It is important to remember that CUSA exists FOR FOOTBALL. It is made up of schools that all want to play football on the same level. Men's basketball, and everything else, were brought along for the ride. Different CUSA teams have different commitment levels to basketball, different goals, different interest levels. If you are going to say beating this or that in football is "nothing" and should be "automatic" then what do you say about half the league that makes a nominal effort at basketball?
Basketball anhedonia ^^^

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT