ADVERTISEMENT

GREEN-WHITE Memorial Fountain GAME

CarolinaZilla69

Green Buffalo
Dec 21, 2018
I HERD the game has turned into a bunch of "crap" with loud music playing throughout the SCRIMMAGE (not game type conditions). I read where some folks departed in the first half because of the continuous blaring music!

Most schools make their Spring Games a FAN FRIENDLY EXPERIENCE...but not @ Marshall. I guess Doc is not too excited to have a full-fledged game---or as some stated...a Spring game at all!?

I also guess it is why the attendance continues to dwindle ($$$$) with fans passing up the scrimmage to participate in other family events! The weather was very good too. Promises of free giveaways did not transpire for the FANS! Fooled again---administration got into the attendee's pockets! It was not too many years ago the Spring Green-White game was FREE to the public-----permitting kids without the funds to see The HERD!!

Happy our head basketball coach makes it exciting for the fans when he puts on MEET THE HERD!

HerdZilla 22 in Charlotte

Reactions: 31Herd55
You are really good at spending other people's money for them. The game was $5. I never saw an official account, but there were a couple of thousand there. So you going to make up those dollars? And how does one make it "fan friendly". What is that, a bounce house for the kiddies? Give away can coozies? Drawings for free toasters? You donating the swag?

It was Marshall football, or at least as close as it gets between now and late August. If you are a Marshall fan, then that is as "fan friendly" as it comes.

As to the rap "music", I don't like it, but it is what it is. Been that way for years.

As to the method of conducting the game, I have seen plenty of coaches come and go here. Some played flat out games with even teams, some played starters versus scrubs, some played offense versus defense, I even remember one time is was current team versus recent grads fleshed out with random people from around town (Sonny's time, IIRC). Doc plays "scenarios", not a scrimage, but set situations like a long bomb, goal line stand, etc. And looking around the SEC and Big 10 networks on TV, it seems that even up there different coaches have different ideas about how serious the whole thing is taken. USC had has-been celebrities as the referees, coaches, and even playing a few downs. Whatever.

Reactions: jmillj
I HERD the game has turned into a bunch of "crap" with loud music playing throughout the SCRIMMAGE (not game type conditions). I read where some folks departed in the first half because of the continuous blaring music!

Most schools make their Spring Games a FAN FRIENDLY EXPERIENCE...but not @ Marshall. I guess Doc is not too excited to have a full-fledged game---or as some stated...a Spring game at all!?

I also guess it is why the attendance continues to dwindle ($$$$) with fans passing up the scrimmage to participate in other family events! The weather was very good too. Promises of free giveaways did not transpire for the FANS! Fooled again---administration got into the attendee's pockets! It was not too many years ago the Spring Green-White game was FREE to the public-----permitting kids without the funds to see The HERD!!

Happy our head basketball coach makes it exciting for the fans when he puts on MEET THE HERD!

It is just like any other practice. Nothing more or less. That is why they no longer promote it as the Green/White Game but Scrimmage. Obviously the coach can do anything he chooses but I think most of us know by know that Doc is not the most fan friendly coach we have ever had. Again, his choice. Also, not many there paid $5. Free tix were sent to all that had season tix last year in this year's renewal package.

I believe it's a fundraiser for the QB club. Money doesn't go directly to the athletic dept.

It is hard to have a standard game when you already have a reduced roster, and then have about 20+ players sitting out. You throw in the fact that 13-14 of those 20+ players are projected starters, then you are looking at not much to watch, unless you like watching the young players show what they can do.

It is hard to have a standard game when you already have a reduced roster, and then have about 20+ players sitting out. You throw in the fact that 13-14 of those 20+ players are projected starters, then you are looking at not much to watch, unless you like watching the young players show what they can do.
I get injuries, but I don’t get the numbers excuse for not playing a real spring “game”...many high schools do this.

By gosh old Sonny had a full blown game, no holds barred.
Of course he won 12 games in 5 seasons.

It was a scrimmage, not a game. Hardly any schools actually have a "game" anymore.

The team typically practices with music playing therefore they did the same on Saturday.

There were around 2,500 people at the scrimmage on Saturday, which would be roughly 10% of our actual game day crowds. That's pretty damn good IMO. Besides that, the environment in the West Lot was great!

It blows my mind when people who are hundreds of miles away are somehow the most opinionated people.

The spring game is a giant waste of time... Unless you are Ohio State, Texas, Notre Dame or another traditional power with a TV network to fill, a "Spring Game" should be (and in our case is) a glorified autograph session. Goal one is to not get anyone hurt, goal too is for the fans to feel "involved" and goal three is to make money off fans who have nothing else to do that day or are otherwise inclined to watch practice.

Total crap on all fronts...No game at all...22 players not participating, obnoxious music to most fans...
expect this non-event to sink even lower into the cesspool of Marshall Mediocraty...Why bother anymore? Even Old Fairfield doesn't waste much time covering Doc's nonsense.

Even Old Fairfield doesn't waste much time covering Doc's nonsense.

1zecsra.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT