ADVERTISEMENT

Has The Thinking of Eerbilly U doomed the state of WV forever?

Here is my take. If you don't want to play let the state do a true economic analysis of the fiscal impact of NOT playing, both football and hoops annually. Force Eerbilly High to pay THAT amount out of its were the Big 12 Bottom Horseteeth slush fund and reinvest it all in the state so at least the state is getting some consideration for its capital investments into the "self sustaining" athletic program of pregger mom mugger u.

That amount; probably close to 5 mlillion, would do great things for the greater good of the state and Marshall at least gets the satisfaction that you'd rather pay 5 million than travel to Huntington and lose in Football or Basketball.

No I'm not an idiot. But it's the idiotic thinking of eerbilly u that keeps the state at now 50th out of 50. Yes Mississippi has moved past you. Oh but I know your RIGHT ABOUT EVERYTHING! Even at 50th !!!!

Yes the Govena JJ is coming and he's going to shake up some nice little fiefdoms one of which is Marshall and the other expectant mommy mugger u. Hold on eerbillys, you may not get what you want , but you might get what you need!

e9380d63245c022fe43a238520d4f0d8.gif

Here is my take. If you don't want to play let the state do a true economic analysis of the fiscal impact of NOT playing, both football and hoops annually. Force Eerbilly High to pay THAT amount out of its were the Big 12 Bottom Horseteeth slush fund and reinvest it all in the state so at least the state is getting some consideration for its capital investments into the "self sustaining" athletic program of pregger mom mugger u.

That amount; probably close to 5 mlillion, would do great things for the greater good of the state and Marshall at least gets the satisfaction that you'd rather pay 5 million than travel to Huntington and lose in Football or Basketball.

No I'm not an idiot. But it's the idiotic thinking of eerbilly u that keeps the state at now 50th out of 50. Yes Mississippi has moved past you. Oh but I know your RIGHT ABOUT EVERYTHING! Even at 50th !!!!

Yes the Govena JJ is coming and he's going to shake up some nice little fiefdoms one of which is Marshall and the other expectant mommy mugger u. Hold on eerbillys, you may not get what you want , but you might get what you need!
So you think institutional welfare is the answer? You are not only an idiot but you are a lazy idiot.

I say again... YOU MY FRIEND ARE AN IDIOT!!! And the more you write the clearer it becomes. Please, tell us more stupidity. What ridiculous ideas do you have to balance the state budget? Or the Fed budget?

You may be interested to know although I doubt you will accept the findings, but the State Journal did a financial piece gauging the anticipated economic impact of the games prior to the resumption of the series in 2006.

The Business and Economic departments at both Marshall and WVU were consulted. From a macro economic perspective (go consult your economic geniuses at GA Tech if you don't understand macro economics) but the economic impact to the state by pkaying the games would be negligible. State economies grow by "importing" dollars from other states not just redistributing dollars from the same pot.

Having said that, local economies would more likely benefit. Larger crowds in Huntington would be bolstered by many new paying customers supplied by WVU boosters attending the game, buying tickets in both the primary and secondary markets, meals, hotels, gas, etc. Clearly Marshall would benefit from additional ticket sales and the national exposure.

Morgantown benefits also from home games but the opponent doesn't really move the needle much whether the game featurs Marshall or James Madison
This is especially true if Marshall fans, who attend the game, refuse to spend money for any services while in Monongahela County.

There are many reasons to play this game and a few good reasons for discontinuing the series. I'd love to see the schools continue playing but I understand both schools' positions. I don't agree with either side but I get it.

What I don't understand is your relentless but juvenile bitching on a message board to resume playing. To my knowledge, neither Mike Hamrick or Shane Lyons makes decisions based on the ramblings of any message board poster.

But simply citing the economic impact lost to the State of West Virginia by not resuming the series in some form is either being misinformed or dishonest.

Last edited:
Reactions: UNherdOF
Really? Sold out stadium every time we play when you haven't sold out your Big 12 games?
I know I'm feeding the troll, but only 4 of the 6 Marshall games at Mountaineer Field since 1997 were sellouts. Those crowds represent the 11th, 39th, 47th, and 58th largest crowds in Mountaineer Field history. (There have been 67 crowds over 60,000.) WVU has had 10 sellouts at Mountaineer Field since joining the Big XII in 2012.

WVU has had 10 sellouts at Mountaineer Field since joining the Big XII in 2012.

And you've never played Marshall since joining the Big 12.

But look into your numbers even more. wvu has played five seasons of Big 12 football. wvu hosted Marshall five times in the last series. Three out of those five hosting Marshall were sell-outs in Morganhole according to you. In other words, 60% of the time Marshall plays in the 'hole turns into a sell-out based on recent history. According to you, wvu has had 10 sell-outs since 2012. That means out of approximately 35 home games, wvu has only sold out the puss' 29% of the time.

hosting Marshall: 60% sell-outs
hosting other teams since joining the Big 12: 29% sell-outs

How about looking at the season rank in attendance for each of the games in Morganhole over the last series:

2006: Best attended game in Morganhole that entire season.
2008: 3rd highest attended out of 7 home games. 600 more fans would have made the Marshall game the best attended for the season.
20011: 2nd highest attended out of 7 home games. 150 more fans would have made the Marshall game the best attended for the season.
2012: 3rd highest attended out of 7 home games. 981 more fans would have made the Marshall game the best attended for the season.

I know I'm feeding the troll, but only 4 of the 6 Marshall games at Mountaineer Field since 1997 were sellouts. Those crowds represent the 11th, 39th, 47th, and 58th largest crowds in Mountaineer Field history. (There have been 67 crowds over 60,000.) WVU has had 10 sellouts at Mountaineer Field since joining the Big XII in 2012.
Not to nitpick, but let's be honest here. Mountaineer field reduced seating capacity to where 60,000 is the 'so-called capacity'. You do realize the top 10 crowds of all time pre-dated the most recent Coal Bowl series, right? You know, back when you could bring in upwards of 70,000?

Here's the issue I have with it. Granted, I understand the WVU point of view, wanting all games to be in Morgantown. What I refuse to buy though is some of the other excuses that have been tossed out over the years. Personally, I wouldn't mind the Herd playing all of the games up in Morgantown. It's a win-win for both schools. WVU gets a home game, and Marshall gets the current 'rent a patsy' payout each year. Maybe they toss the Herd a bone, and give them a home game once every five years or so. I just think the excitement level is much higher for fans of both schools when they face one another, as opposed to WVU entertaining Youngstown, JMU, Towson, Delaware State, while the Herd entertains schools I have to google to figure out where they're from.

I know WVU fans will never admit it, but I've always been of the opinion that WVU fans really don't want this game to be played, out of fear of possibly losing at some point. I can almost understand that as well, because it would be a loss you would never be able to get over, as Herd fans would be very hard to deal with over the next few decades. That would be true even if the series was 42-1 in the year 2053.

Pretty sure we dropped 69 on you our first season in the Big 12.
Likely an honest mistake by the great Y.A.G.

Now, check this out:

Schedule
Date Time Opponent# Rank# Site TV Result Attendance
September 1 12:00 p.m. Marshall* No. 11 Mountaineer FieldMorgantown, WV (Friends of Coal Bowl) FX W 69–34 59,120[1]

September 15 4:30 p.m. vs. No. 4 (FCS) James Madison* No. 9 FedEx FieldLandover, MD ROOT W 42–12 45,511[2]

September 22 12:00 p.m. Maryland* No. 8 Mountaineer Field • Morgantown, WV (Rivalry) FX W 31–21 58,504[3]

September 29 12:00 p.m. No. 25 Baylor
Dagger-14-plain.png
No. 9 Mountaineer Field • Morgantown, WV FX W 70–63 60,012[4]

October 6 7:00 p.m. at No. 11 Texas No. 8 Darrell K Royal–Texas Memorial StadiumAustin, TX FOX W 48–45 101,851[5]

October 13 3:30 p.m. at Texas Tech No. 5 Jones AT&T StadiumLubbock, TX ABC L 14–49 57,328[6]

October 20 7:00 p.m. No. 4 Kansas State No. 17 Mountaineer Field • Morgantown, WV FOX L 14–55 60,101[7]

November 3 3:00 p.m. TCU No. 23 Mountaineer Field • Morgantown, WV FOX L 38–39 2OT 52,322[8]

November 10 3:30 p.m. at Oklahoma State
Boone Pickens StadiumStillwater, OK ABC L 34–55 57,799[9]

November 17 7:00 p.m. No. 13 Oklahoma
Mountaineer Field • Morgantown, WV FOX L 49–50 50,238[10]

November 23 3:30 p.m. at Iowa State
Jack Trice StadiumAmes, IA ABC W 31–24 53,792[11]

December 1 2:30 p.m. Kansas
Mountaineer Field • Morgantown, WV FSN W 59–10 51,112[12]

December 29 3:15 p.m. vs. Syracuse*
Yankee StadiumBronx, NY (Pinstripe Bowl) ESPN L 14–38 39,098

This was the 2012 season, which was the last time you played the Herd. Does anything stand out when looking at the attendance of each game?

If not, perhaps I can help.

Of your 13 games that season, only three of them drew a bigger crowd than the Herd. Interestingly, the Maryland game, which is noted as a rivalry game, drew fewer fans at the Pusk than the Herd. Then scroll down to November 17th. A ranked Oklahoma squad, who by all accounts, is the Big 12, comes to town and draws only 50,238 fans.

Now, tell us again why it hurts you financially to play the Herd at the Pusk.

#13 Oklahoma - 50,238 fans
Unranked little ole Marshall - 59,120 fans

Not to nitpick, but let's be honest here. Mountaineer field reduced seating capacity to where 60,000 is the 'so-called capacity'. You do realize the top 10 crowds of all time pre-dated the most recent Coal Bowl series, right? You know, back when you could bring in upwards of 70,000?

Here's the issue I have with it. Granted, I understand the WVU point of view, wanting all games to be in Morgantown. What I refuse to buy though is some of the other excuses that have been tossed out over the years. Personally, I wouldn't mind the Herd playing all of the games up in Morgantown. It's a win-win for both schools. WVU gets a home game, and Marshall gets the current 'rent a patsy' payout each year. Maybe they toss the Herd a bone, and give them a home game once every five years or so. I just think the excitement level is much higher for fans of both schools when they face one another, as opposed to WVU entertaining Youngstown, JMU, Towson, Delaware State, while the Herd entertains schools I have to google to figure out where they're from.

I know WVU fans will never admit it, but I've always been of the opinion that WVU fans really don't want this game to be played, out of fear of possibly losing at some point. I can almost understand that as well, because it would be a loss you would never be able to get over, as Herd fans would be very hard to deal with over the next few decades. That would be true even if the series was 42-1 in the year 2053.
Your (and your other two selves') arguments have some merit, which is much more than I can say about Greenhouse.

You may be interested to know although I doubt you will accept the findings, but the State Journal did a financial piece gauging the anticipated economic impact of the games prior to the resumption of the series in 2006.

The Business and Economic departments at both Marshall and WVU were consulted. From a macro economic perspective (go consult your economic geniuses at GA Tech if you don't understand macro economics) but the economic impact to the state by pkaying the games would be negligible. State economies grow by "importing" dollars from other states not just redistributing dollars from the same pot.

Having said that, local economies would more likely benefit. Larger crowds in Huntington would be bolstered by many new paying customers supplied by WVU boosters attending the game, buying tickets in both the primary and secondary markets, meals, hotels, gas, etc. Clearly Marshall would benefit from additional ticket sales and the national exposure.

Morgantown benefits also from home games but the opponent doesn't really move the needle much whether the game featurs Marshall or James Madison
This is especially true if Marshall fans, who attend the game, refuse to spend money for any services while in Monongahela County.

There are many reasons to play this game and a few good reasons for discontinuing the series. I'd love to see the schools continue playing but I understand both schools' positions. I don't agree with either side but I get it.

What I don't understand is your relentless but juvenile bitching on a message board to resume playing. To my knowledge, neither Mike Hamrick or Shane Lyons makes decisions based on the ramblings of any message board poster.

But simply citing the economic impact lost to the State of West Virginia by not resuming the series in some formis either being misinformed or dishonest.

Consider the source carefully, jocktalker. Anything associated with Bray Cary of WV Media should be considered highly dubious when it comes to accurately assessing anything related to Marshall and WVU, given his apparent longstanding extreme bias against the first institution!!

No and HELL NO, Dreh Nagi, when it comes to playing all the games in Morganhole! Especially when you consider that they will probably want to give us the same kind of guarantee financially that they would give to, say, Youngstown State.

No, I'd much rather have the Herd continue to try and obtain the occasional home and home dates that we have gotten from NC State and Pitt. Even 2 for 1 deals with Quality programs like nearby ACC foes Louisville and VA Tech are preferable to playing all games at WVU!! As for one and done deals, the $1.8 million supposedly for going to a SEC foe, South Carolina are INFINITELY better than going to WVU. A real BIG TIME STADIUM, Williams-Brice and a SEC atmosphere versus NEER STADIUM and wild eyed/wild haired HUNGOVERAGAIN, NO Contest in my book!! Hopefully, Hamrick will try for similar one game deals with the like of Tennessee, Auburn, Georgia, or perhaps back to the Big Ten, OSU, Wisc., the Michigan Schools, Illinois or even Purdue again.

Last edited:
Consider the source carefully, jocktalker. Anything associated with Bray Cary of WV Media should be considered highly dubious when it comes to accurately assessing anything related to Marshall and WVU, given his apparent longstanding extreme bias against the first institution!!
I don't think Bray owned the State Journal in 2006. Dan Page was the editor. I think Lorenelle White owned and published the paper in 2006.

That is nonsense. We were officially a member of the Big 12 that season, therefore we have played you since joining the Big 12.

Not in the context of why and how it was said. It was said in response to sell-outs since joining the Big 12 compared to what the Marshall game meant for attendance in morganhole. The original poster was boasting about the sell-outs wvu has had since joining the Big 12 as a way to argue that they didn't need Marshall's attendance bump. He referenced attendance figures for the Marshall games. You can't compare the two since Marshall hasn't visited since you guys have started hosting (joined) the Big 12.

Of your 13 games that season, only three of them drew a bigger crowd than the Herd. Interestingly, the Maryland game, which is noted as a rivalry game, drew fewer fans at the Pusk than the Herd. Then scroll down to November 17th. A ranked Oklahoma squad, who by all accounts, is the Big 12, comes to town and draws only 50,238 fans.

Now, tell us again why it hurts you financially to play the Herd at the Pusk.
Simple. The 2012 crowd would have been large regardless of the opponent when we were coming off of the Orange Bowl win.
In 2013 we drew 56,350 in the home opener with no return game needed.
In 2014 we drew 56,414 in the home opener with no return game needed.
In 2015 we drew 55,182 in the home opener with no return game needed.

All 3 of those were after disappointing seasons the year before. We were still able to draw over 90% capacity without giving any return games against lesser opponents. Getting 2500-3500 extra fans for a Marshall game isn't worth giving up a return game even in a 3-1 deal.

Not in the context of why and how it was said. It was said in response to sell-outs since joining the Big 12 compared to what the Marshall game meant for attendance in morganhole. The original poster was boasting about the sell-outs wvu has had since joining the Big 12 as a way to argue that they didn't need Marshall's attendance bump. He referenced attendance figures for the Marshall games. You can't compare the two since Marshall hasn't visited since you guys have started hosting (joined) the Big 12.
lol dear lord.

Now you are just putting words in my mouth. I wasn't boasting at all. I was simply responding to the actual original poster (Greenhouse) who said "sold out stadium every time we play when you haven't sold out your Big 12 games?" I pointed out that WVU did not sell out every time we played MU, and we have sold out Big XII games.

There is literally nothing in this post I would disagree with. I think Dreh has hit the nail on the head.
1- There is definitely more excitement around a game with MU-WVU compared to WVU-JMU
2- If the game was ever to pick up again it would benefit both schools to play all the games in Motown.
3- WVU fans are glad to have it off the schedule because eventually Marshall will win one of these games and even if it is only once, Marshall fans will talk about the one time it happened for the next 50 years.
4- Playing all the games in Motown would allow WVU to keep the "extra home game" paycheck
5- Playing all the games in Motown would also benefit Marshall's bottom line because they can get the same payout as they would get from playing a team like say Purdue without the travel expenses
6- With all of that being said, Marshall will never agree to play all games in Morgantown and WVU will never agree to anything resembling a home and home series
7- I am not sure of any other "excuses" that WVU athletic department has for not playing the game other then the "extra home game".

Now you are just putting words in my mouth. I wasn't boasting at all. I was simply responding to the actual original poster (Greenhouse) who said "sold out stadium every time we play when you haven't sold out your Big 12 games?" I pointed out that WVU did not sell out every time we played MU, and we have sold out Big XII games.

Though his specifics weren't correct in that particular argument, his overall message was: wvu gets better attendance for MU games than just about any other game.

No and HELL NO, Dreh Nagi, when it comes to playing all the games in Morganhole! Especially when you consider that they will probably want to give us the same kind of guarantee financially that they would give to, say, Youngstown State.

No, I'd much rather have the Herd continue to try and obtain the occasional home and home dates that we have gotten from NC State and Pitt. Even 2 for 1 deals with Quality programs like nearby ACC foes Louisville and VA Tech are preferable to playing all games at WVU!! As for one and done deals, the $1.8 million supposedly for going to a SEC foe, South Carolina are INFINITELY better than going to WVU. A real BIG TIME STADIUM, Williams-Brice and a SEC atmosphere versus NEER STADIUM and wild eyed/wild haired HUNGOVERAGAIN, NO Contest in my book!! Hopefully, Hamrick will try for similar one game deals with the like of Tennessee, Auburn, Georgia, or perhaps back to the Big Ten, OSU, Wisc., the Michigan Schools, Illinois or even Purdue again.
After that gem you posted last night, I'm not sure how anybody can take anything you type out very seriously. I mean, you're of the belief that the Herd baseball team loses to WVU on purpose, just to keep the fruits of the money tree rolling in to fill up the Green Basket.

There is literally nothing in this post I would disagree with. I think Dreh has hit the nail on the head.
1- There is definitely more excitement around a game with MU-WVU compared to WVU-JMU
2- If the game was ever to pick up again it would benefit both schools to play all the games in Motown.
3- WVU fans are glad to have it off the schedule because eventually Marshall will win one of these games and even if it is only once, Marshall fans will talk about the one time it happened for the next 50 years.
4- Playing all the games in Motown would allow WVU to keep the "extra home game" paycheck
5- Playing all the games in Motown would also benefit Marshall's bottom line because they can get the same payout as they would get from playing a team like say Purdue without the travel expenses
6- With all of that being said, Marshall will never agree to play all games in Morgantown and WVU will never agree to anything resembling a home and home series
7- I am not sure of any other "excuses" that WVU athletic department has for not playing the game other then the "extra home game".

I think something in the 3-1 range would be doable from our side. Even 2-1 if it wasn't every year and we could play the road game in the right season.

Home and home will never happen (and makes no sense from the WVU side) and as long as that is the starting point from the Marshall side we will never get anywhere.

I keep reading on here about how Marshall and WVU playing football is just soooooooooo good for the state.

True that it would sell out in Huntington which would equal 38,000 tickets sold should the game be played there. Almost certainly most years it would sell 60,000 or so tickets in Morgantown...............for a total of 98,000 tickets over a two year period at best. 120,000 if every game was played in Morgantown.

Considering that the game would most likely be the opening game for both teams let's consider this - Marshall is going to sell roughly 25 to 30 thousand tickets for their home opener no matter who they play and WVU is going to sell 55 to 60 thousand tickets regardless of who their home opening opponent is. Recent statistics prove that to be true. So that's anywhere from 80 to 90 thousand football tickets sold between the two schools no matter the opponent, and a little math shows that over a two year period you're talking about 160,000 sold football tickets as compared to 98,000 should the series resume.

Out of state visitors to both schools contribute to the respective university communities with the money they spend on food, lodging, etc., while anyone in WV can easily drive to and from Morgantown or Huntington in just a couple of hours and not spend a dime other than the gas it takes to make the drive.

How is that better for the state than letting each team do their own scheduling and keeping the profits for themselves ? ......................Answer - it isn't.

Last edited:
After that gem you posted last night, I'm not sure how anybody can take anything you type out very seriously. I mean, you're of the belief that the Herd baseball team loses to WVU on purpose, just to keep the fruits of the money tree rolling in to fill up the Green Basket.

Make it simple for ya, CRAP for Brains, a.,k.a., Drek Noggin. Got to keep the EERS go First guys happy. Hell, beat em every so often, and Mr. Bigot, a.k.a. Gee, will tell em to take their balls and bats back to the Hole and not play the guys in Green in Charleston anymore. You know, like Lard boy and his roundballers did!!

Make it simple for ya, CRAP for Brains, a.,k.a., Drek Noggin. Got to keep the EERS go First guys happy. Hell, beat em every so often, and Mr. Bigot, a.k.a. Gee, will tell em to take their balls and bats back to the Hole and not play the guys in Green in Charleston anymore. You know, like Lard boy and his roundballers did!!
You remind me of a bum hanging out on Squirrel Hill in the slums of Pittsburgh. I don't think I've ever seen a sports fan who wants his supposed team to compete against another team, intentionally lose, just to receive a free box of cheese.

I don't like to assume, but by chance, do you live in Section 8 housing?

You remind me of a bum hanging out on Squirrel Hill in the slums of Pittsburgh. I don't think I've ever seen a sports fan who wants his supposed team to compete against another team, intentionally lose, just to receive a free box of cheese.

I don't like to assume, but by chance, do you live in Section 8 housing?
This is so much of the problem with our fan base. The answer to everything is 'have someone give us money' rather then go out and earn it. This institutionalized and generational welfare mentality will not help this program get back to where we want it.

We need more money, that is a fact and there is no way around it. I would be OK with the idea that we play 3 'rent-a-patsy' games with P5 conference teams every year. UT, UK, UVA, VT, hell even WVU... as long as the price is right. We may bank more money in these types of games then we do in home games. BUT, unlike last year, we need to continue winning big in CUSA. If not then we become irrelevant.

As long as we continue winning in CUSA, we use the money that we are banking in the 3 P5 games to upgrade facilities and hire better coaches (I am mainly talking about assistant coaches. I like Doc and Mike a lot).

Better coaches and facilities means better recruits and now maybe we win 1 or 2 of those OOC P5 games and maybe even start scheduling our own 'rent-a-patsy' games to start winning 10-13 games per season and become a team discussed more often on the national stage.

My point is we can't just ask for 'free cheese' like oldherd and greenhouse have planned. The program has to become a destination for kids who either can't or don't want to go to a P5 school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT