ADVERTISEMENT

Herd at Maryland in Men's Hoops Friday on Big 10 Network:

Maryland defeats Hofstra 80-69 behind Fernando's 17 points
  • By STATS
  • Nov 17, 2018 • 2 min read
COLLEGE PARK, Md. (AP) Maryland forward Bruno Fernando didn't start Friday night.

He had no trouble finishing in the Terrapins' 80-69 comeback victory over Hofstra.

The sophomore had 17 points and seven rebounds and made all eight of his field goal attempts for the Terrapins (4-0). It was the 12th time in school history a player was perfect from the floor with at least eight attempts and the first since Sean Mosley was 8 of 8 against Longwood in 2010.
Coach Mark Turgeon said the decision not to start Fernando was ''about teaching life lessons.'' Maryland did not make Fernando available for interviews after the game. He scored 11 points while playing all 20 minutes after the break.

''The second half, he responded the right way,'' Turgeon said. ''We all did. The whole team did.''

Freshman Eric Ayala scored a career-high 14 points, while Aaron Wiggins added 13. Darryl Morsell had 12 points, and both Anthony Cowan Jr. and Jalen Smith had 11.

Justin Wright-Foreman, who entered the game tied for 10th in the country with 25.3 points per game, scored 27 points for the Pride (2-2). Hofstra built a 37-31 lead the break, the first time Maryland trailed at halftime this season.
Hofstra extended its edge to 43-35, but Maryland responded with a 16-3 run to claim the lead for good. The Terps never led by less than three points in the final 14 minutes.
Maryland had a 48-22 scoring edge in the paint, and it grabbed 16 offensive rebounds to Hofstra's 19 defensive rebounds.

''If you look on our board, one of the things was get tough rebounds, and they had 16 offensive rebounds,'' Hofstra coach Joe Mihalich said. ''It's a lot easier said than done to keep those guys off the glass. The big guy, he's a load. The other guys, they're not slouches, either.''

Ultimately, it was Fernando who made the biggest difference as he continued his torrid start. He is averaging 14.5 points while shooting 82.8 percent from the floor (24 of 29).

''His presence is always insane,'' Wiggins said. ''Just the energy and the size and just what he does for our team on the inside. He's able to get easy buckets and once he gets a few buckets, teams start doubling him.
So once they start doubling, he's able to kick out and get open shots, and if we're hitting shots, that's a dangerous team.''

p.s. Outside of Morgantown, the rudest, most obnoxious fans I have witnessed!

Last edited:
MD defeated Hofstra 80-69. They are 4-0.
The last time I can recall MU visiting Collge Park we had Greg White, Larry Watson & co. It did not end well! We are bringing a much more talented team to MD this time ....
Marshall played at Maryland a couple years back, and got blown out. Maryland was pretty loaded that year, and Marshall wasn't.

My bad, I thought I saw the score the other way around as it came across the bottom of the screen.

Marshall played at Maryland a couple years back, and got blown out. Maryland was pretty loaded that year, and Marshall wasn't.
Maryland did throttle us (believe they were number 4 in the country) but that Marshall team ended up being pretty good. James Kelly took off once CUSA play began and we had Ryan Taylor as well as Elmore and Burks.

Xfinity Center is damn nice. Pretty annoyed I’ll be out of town for Thanksgiving and have to miss this game. Really think we can win.

MD defeated Hofstra 80-69. They are 4-0.
The last time I can recall MU visiting Collge Park we had Greg White, Larry Watson & co. It did not end well! We are bringing a much more talented team to MD this time ....
We played there in 2015 and lost.
There will be 6 of us in my group on Friday. Can't think of a better way to celebrate my 70th birthday

Ideal scenario to beat this team. Empty building and probably a disinterested opponent, plus Marshall is very capable of winning regardless.

Beyers needs to be out of the rotation, especially when we are playing good teams... Kid looks totally lost on both ends.

Reactions: ohio herd
Can’t shoot poorly and expect to be competitive against a good team. 35% isn’t going to be close to enough.

Our lack of size is glaring... Maryland has two true big men in the paint and they are both good. We have one, who is not at the same level, and cant stay on the court for more than 3 minutes because of foul trouble.

Our guys have to shoot 75 percent from 3 in the second half to have a chance.

Need to set that slow fat ass as well. Never in position can't handle the and turns the ball over and just gets called for cheap fouls.

Maryland has played us smart... Sign of good coaching. Take away Elmore and see if the "other guys" can beat you.

Jannson Williams has been excellent.

The rest of the other guys have ranged from bad to awful.

Reactions: herdinatl
Seems like every time Marshall gets a chance to beat someone from a P5 conference in football or badkbasket they just don't come to play. If there not interested in playing teams from the P5 then don't schedule them. Sad I say really sad.

Maryland is flat out better than us. We are playing terrible. We can’t rebound or shoot in this game and Maryland winning with Freshmen.

Reactions: The Real SamC
When your game is predicated on making 3s and running teams out of the gym, and you dont make any shots at all, you have potential to get blown out.

Especially when you get outrebounded 4-to-1

Seems like every time Marshall gets a chance to beat someone from a P5 conference in football or badkbasket they just don't come to play. If there not interested in playing teams from the P5 then don't schedule them. Sad I say really sad.

Do you really believe disinterest is the reason.

But the kids in West Virginia are as good as any in the country. Many fans say this and the head coach believes it as well. Well our Sr players just got shut down bye 4 freshmen. Yes Freshmen people chew on that for awhile.

No excuse for this game not being within 10 points. Maryland isn’t that good. I don’t think we are that bad.

The path to beat us has been set though. If you have guards that can play defense against Elmore and Burks we are in serious trouble. Williams is prone to get into foul trouble. We cannot rebound well. We lack a consistent big man.

Western Kentucky is by far the class of the league. They beat their P5 opponent.

Reactions: The Real SamC
But the kids in West Virginia are as good as any in the country. Many fans say this and the head coach believes it as well. Well our Sr players just got shut down bye 4 freshmen. Yes Freshmen people chew on that for awhile.

You mean the same 304 boys and coach that just took us to the round of 32? It was one game. It happens, and especially in DD’s system. It appears to me that when it tanks, it tanks completely. Thankfully not very often. People have already mentioned OSU two years ago and WKU last year. It was a tough, tough night, but Let’s see how the rest of the games play out. DD and the boys have earned that.

Last edited:
You mean the same 304 boys and coach that just took us to the round of 32?

You are missing a few this year. Take it for what it was. A good run through the conference tournament. A first round open against a "not so typical Wichita St" team. Then was slammed by one of the Top 5 teams in the tournament.

Marshall is now officially in "get hot in the conference tournament and who knows" mode.

The season, from now to March, may very well feature some nice games. WKU looks good and more than half the league has 2 losses or less, but many of the opponents are obscure. Enjoy, but understand.

Danny got and saw exactly what he wanted. He got to see new people, worked different combinations and displayed his full court press.
He got 25 mins from CJ and Jon. Why use them more in an exhibition game? Yes, we would have and scored over 100 and beaten them by 40 but why?

Herdmeister, how does Danny feel about beating someone by 40 now?

Marshall is now officially in "get hot in the conference tournament and who knows" mode.

The season, from now to March, may very well feature some nice games. WKU looks good and more than half the league has 2 losses or less, but many of the opponents are obscure. Enjoy, but understand.
WKU lost again today to Indiana State

Reactions: pdbailey
This loss will do nothing for the team, but it may help our fanbase get a more realistic grasp on what this program is. Similar "step up" losses are happening all across the minority of CUSA which make other than a token effort at basketball.

This is who we are. This is what CUSA is.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT