ADVERTISEMENT

Herd at Maryland in Men's Hoops Friday on Big 10 Network:

You are missing a few this year. Take it for what it was. A good run through the conference tournament. A first round open against a "not so typical Wichita St" team. Then was slammed by one of the Top 5 teams in the tournament.
**** YOU, Wichita St was one of the dark horse favorites to make it to the Final Four going into the tournament. We outplayed them in that game. You don't try to downplay that win as it is one of the most important and probably one of the biggest wins in program history.

**** YOU, Wichita St was one of the dark horse favorites to make it to the Final Four going into the tournament. We outplayed them in that game. You don't try to downplay that win as it is one of the most important and probably one of the biggest wins in program history.
Wichita was really good last year. Didn't spend a day outside the top 25 and were in the top 10 for an entire month. Believe they were #16 in the country when we played them.

I was talking football with a WVU fan friend of mine over the weekend, and we both agreed that both team's early season losses would help both fanbases get over our respective delusions of grandeur.

A review of this thread tells me that at least relative the Herd, I was wrong.

Reactions: TeenWolfChubby
I was talking football with a WVU fan friend of mine over the weekend, and we both agreed that both team's early season losses would help both fanbases get over our respective delusions of grandeur.

A review of this thread tells me that at least relative the Herd, I was wrong.
From your last post to this one please explain what led you to such an incredibly deep hypothesis?

Reactions: pdbailey
imo, the glass is always half-full. This smackdown if nothing else humbled the team. There should be no smiles or joking around when we play the Tribe tomorrow night. DD will get their minds "right"......(CHL ref) We also owe them for last year.....

From your last post to this one please explain what led you to such an incredibly deep hypothesis?

I will probably get in trouble for this, but here goes.

I have trouble believing our football and basketball fanbase are the same people. In basketball we have been on a 8 month high. Fact is we were the fourth place team in our league, got hot in the conference tournament, and then upset a grossly over-rated Wichita State team. And we have a puncher''s chance of doing the same, this year, or about any other year. That is it. We have people posting here and listening to fans people have travel plans to if not MSP, at least Louisville. We got boat raced by the pre-season EIGHTH place team in the football centric Big 10. We need to cool our jets, big time, as a fanbase. The "DD will have them ready come March" stuff needs to end, right now. We are one of four or five good, by CUSA standards, teams in the founded for football CUSA. That is all. ONE of those teams, or maybe an upset special from someone else, will go to the NCAAs and get seeded 14th to 12th. That is it.

As to WVU, this is about the time of year that August's certain football national championship turns into the Carquest Bowl and is replaced by October's certain basketball national championship. WVU, likewise (although they are many levels above us and can lose upwards of 10 games and be fine re NCAAs) is a deeply flawed team far below the level of the elite.

The less delusional of their fans, at least, seem to get that, although the effect is probably temporary as they feast on the likes of Rider, Jacksonville State, and Lehigh in the next month. We do not seem to understand at all where this program really is.

I will probably get in trouble for this, but here goes.

I have trouble believing our football and basketball fanbase are the same people. In basketball we have been on a 8 month high. Fact is we were the fourth place team in our league, got hot in the conference tournament, and then upset a grossly over-rated Wichita State team. And we have a puncher''s chance of doing the same, this year, or about any other year. That is it. We have people posting here and listening to fans people have travel plans to if not MSP, at least Louisville. We got boat raced by the pre-season EIGHTH place team in the football centric Big 10. We need to cool our jets, big time, as a fanbase. The "DD will have them ready come March" stuff needs to end, right now. We are one of four or five good, by CUSA standards, teams in the founded for football CUSA. That is all. ONE of those teams, or maybe an upset special from someone else, will go to the NCAAs and get seeded 14th to 12th. That is it.
The Big Ten is likely the second best conference in the country this year. Maryland (who was picked 7th in the preseason, not 8th) is currently ranked 24th - which happens to be behind MSU, UM, OSU, Iowa, Purdue and Wisconsin. Maryland's roster is littered with future pros. They're the most talented team (not the best - that goes to UVA) we will play all year. Losing to them the way we did sucks but is not the end of the world.

Wichita State was anything but overrated last year. You're simply running with that bullshit talking point in an effort to diminish what our team accomplished last year - probably because you were so incredibly wrong about them and still feel embarrassed about it.

Sad sack Sam: Why should you be the decider of the fanbase's optimism or lack thereof in late November/early December? We are fans. Short for fanatics. We have an emotional connection to Marshall that is perfectly normal. Get over yourself, man! You are one member on this board, whose opinion counts no more nor less than anyone else's. It's a good thing that one loss does not a season make. I am focused on Bill & Mary...

Fourth place finish in regular season is accurate but misleading. Top 4 teams all extremely good. MTSU 16-2 regular season champ. Lost both to MU-away and home. Wichita State “overrated” is just your opinion. Md was one game. It happens. Whole season in front of DD and the boys.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Why should you be the decider of the fanbase's optimism or lack thereof in late November/early December?

It is not my place to decide where the fanbase's optimism belongs, of course. You can do as you wish.

I'm just a realist. Some of you are sounding like the stereotypical WVU fan many of us used to lampoon. Vast overstatement of the coach of the time's genius status; amazing over rating the * value and pro potential of every player; the certainty that any team that actually beats us must be just awsome; and mentioning the program in the same breath as those many levels beyond it and thus agrandizing it by association. That degree of detachment from reality is what I have always found unacceptable in Spamism, and I am seeing it, for the first time in my life, in my own fanbase. It saddens me. I though we were better than that.

I would love to see the basketball program actually be where some of you think it is already. Where we actually are is vastly different.

LOL WHAT?!?!?!?

Wichita State played in the American last year.

Jesus.

You are correct I was looking at the wrong stats and thought it was this year they jumped. But anyway, not to take away from the first round win; I still feel it was not a typical Wichita St year.

Now when are you going to get my original name back? Unbanned?

Reactions: The Real SamC
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT