ADVERTISEMENT

Herd Immunity is around 70%

johns1124

Gold Buffalo
Aug 13, 2004
Where is this clown now?

The 125,682 "breakthrough" cases in 38 states represent less than .08 percent of the 164.2 million-plus people fully vaccinated since January.

Really?

Jackson received his first Covid-19 vaccine dose in January at an event to promote African American confidence in vaccinations, according to a statement at the time from RPC.
Due to the more dangerous nature of the Delta variant, breakthrough infections for those who are vaccinated have been reported, largely among those who are older or immunocompromised.

"Though it is evident vaccination still provides powerful protection against the virus, there’s growing concern that vaccinated people may be more vulnerable to serious illness than previously thought."

"One of the best known outbreaks among vaccinated people occurred in the small beach town of Provincetown, Massachusetts, as thousands of vaccinated and unvaccinated alike gathered on dance floors and at house parties over the Fourth of July weekend to celebrate the holiday -- and what seemed like a turning point in the pandemic. About three-fourths of the 469 infections were among vaccinated people. "

So much for the .08%

I’ve been away from the board awhile and I’m not really tuned into what point you’re making here, but I’ll give you my observations. My daughter has a break through case right now and she’s only 23. Her symptoms are like that of a cold right now…congestion and body aches. She hasn’t lost her sense of smell and taste and isnt running a fever. My wife and I are both negative. She has spent time in nursing homes and in clinical situations for school over the last week, so maybe she contracted it there. We’re not sure.

The data I’ve read is that breakthrough cases among fully vaccinated when compared to total new cases is about .01%, but the article stated that as more data becomes available that number will likely change. The new variant is changing the numbers. The numbers we see coming in are preliminary. These numbers are being reported in early stages and will change as more data becomes available.

The problem we are experiencing is that opportunistic ideologues are hand picking numbers and mixing timelines In order to promote their personally held positions. This isn’t restricted to just the right or the left either. Both sides are doing it. For example, when the vaccine initially rolled out, there was one dominant strain of covid that the efficacy of the vaccine was measured by and the results were outstanding. Since then Delta and other strains and mutations come on the scene. These strains produce a different set of numbers. But to ascertain the efficacy, you have to conduct trials and accumulate and analyze data. We are in the front end of that right now and early numbers show that the vaccine isn’t as efficient against the new strain in prevention, but it still is doing a highly effective job in keeping people from getting seriously sick and having to be hospitalized.

An opportunist or someone wishing to distort data to promote their own views might say…hey…the scientist told us that this vaccine was going to keep me from getting the virus and now there are fully vaccinated people getting it. That’s a distortion of the truth. What was true originally isn’t true with the new variant.

The only number that hits home to me is that presently over 90% of those people hospitalized with severe cases of Covid are unvaccinated. The vaccine, although not as effective against Delta, is doing its job and doing it well. Where the unvaccinated are really playing with fire is allowing the cases to rise and creating the potential for a mutation that busts through the vaccine and creates a much worse situation.

Bottom line…and this isn’t directed at OP…get vaccinated and quit playing with numbers to advance a worldview.

My review of data shows vax continues to reduce risk of hospitalization.

But Delta is a different beast. Seems it can infect vax’d at higher rate than what the original clinical trials (pre delta covid) have shown.

I think we’re all bound to get this. I’d rather walk into it with a vax on board than not.

Last edited:
My review of data shows vax continues to reduce risk of hospitalization.

But Delta is a different beast. Seems it can infect vax’d at higher rate than what the original clinical trials (pre covid) have shown.

I think we’re all bound to get this. I’d rather walk into it with a vax on board than not.

Exactly.

Breakthrough deaths and hospitalizations are around 8K which is .005% of the 166 million vaccinated.

Reactions: GK4Herd
The point I'm trying to make is to the Medical Community.

It's ok to say you are not sure, or you don't know.

The point I'm trying to make is to the Medical Community.

It's ok to say you are not sure, or you don't know.

I don’t disagree, but I think the medical community and the scientific community are pretty good at saying they don’t know. It should also be ok to say that, “This is the data we have so far,” and that not be twisted into some kind of gotcha thing because further research changes the numbers a few percentage points. We have people out there slamming the scientific community when additional data gathered changes the effectiveness of vaccines from 97% to 92% as though the vaccines don’t work and the scientist were wrong.

Bottom line is, as the only doctor in this thread pointed out, you‘re much better fighting off this virus with a vaccine than without it. If the number of unvaccinated hospitalized goes from 97-98% down to 92-93% with additional data, were the doctors wrong about the vaccine? And more importantly, does that discredit the vaccine? I’d rather be in a plane with a 2-3% chance of crashing then a 97-98% chance of crashing.

The % breakthrough hospital admissions will increase as the base number of people vaccinated increased.

What you hope to see is a separation of the case and death curves. The UK delta wave had much less deaths than prior waves due to presumably vax (or prior native immunity) effect.

Reactions: GK4Herd
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT