ADVERTISEMENT

Herd @ UNI

We have a squad! Lots of miscues, but a lot of ♥️ - Taylor makes a night & day difference in this team. Bennett did really well & he won’t see 2 big bodies like that the rest of the season. Lot’s of reason to be optimistic Go Herd!

Taylor looked fantastic. The most grit I’ve seen from this team this year. If they play like this in conference they will be ok. Didn’t realize UNI has won 4 tournament games recently and a sweet16 appearance recently too. Should be top 25 next rank.

I couldn’t have sound on. Can someone explain the Dantoni ejection?

Also, questionable couple of calls didn’t go our way down 6 and down 8 respectively

herd4life - huge mystery there. I couldn’t tell....man, we really battled a talented, veteran tourney team inside the last 2 mins

Looking good against a top 25

Huh? Northern Iowa isn't ranked in the top 35, let alone the top 25.

man, we really battled a talented, veteran tourney team inside the last 2 mins

How are they a "veteran tourney team"? The last time Marshall was in the tournament was 2018. The last time Northern Iowa was in the tournament was in 2016. Northern Iowa doesn't have a single player on their roster who has played a single second in the NCAA tournament.

Marshall had a solid effort, a winning season could be in view. NI is not ranked.
A shame coach Dan and the bench couldn’t control their anger today.

Didn’t come off one bit angry on video but obviously no idea what he said.

Both on HC, not bench

I went back and looked at the play by play and there were three techs assessed to Marshall in the second half.

Two on DD and one to someone else on the bench called about four or five minutes after Dan was tossed.

Nope, the first was apparently on the bench. The second two were on Dan. Apparently. Broadcasters seemed confused as well. It was certainly abnormal if nothing else.

I went back and looked at the play by play and there were three techs assessed to Marshall in the second half.

Two on DD and one to someone else on the bench called about four or five minutes after Dan was tossed.

You clearly did not watch the game because this is completely wrong on the timeline. Dan didn’t get tossed until the third technical. If you watched, you would have known that. You made some declarative statements, obviously without seeing any of the game.

But even watching it, the entire sequence was confusing.

You clearly did not watch the game because this is completely wrong on the timeline. Dan didn’t get tossed until the third technical. If you watched, you would have known that. You made some declarative statements, obviously without seeing any of the game.

But even watching it, the entire sequence was confusing.

Yore right I didn’t watch the game. Forgot they were playing. Looking at the play by play the first two were called at the exact same clock time so figured those were on DD and that the third was on a player or coach at the bench. Was listening to the last four minutes on radio and the PBP was confusing as to when and who received the t’s.

Reactions: ARandomHerdFan
Yore right

giphy.gif

Just back from the game, I was 3 rows behind the Marshall bench. I herd pretty much all of the discussions. Coach D had plenty of warning on both of them. Coach was riding an official about hand fouls in the first half. One of them was right after UNI was called for the foul. The ref was telling Coach, "I just called it, what do you want from me?'

So then, during warmups at the end of halftime, Coach D went over and was talking to the official again about fouls. The ref was telling him, "Ok, I'll look." A little bit into the 2nd half, after more snipping, the ref came over and said, "You are done reffing. You coach, and I'll ref" or something to that effect.

So whoever for Marshall got fouled a bit later in the lane, and Coach bitched again (no swearing that I herd) and got the T. So while they were heading to shoot the T, one of the Herd assistants started chirping, and he got Td up. Not sure who tho.

So more of the game goes on, and a different official was running by coach and he said something that I didn't hear. It was not hollering, just standing there and said something. The official put on the brakes, and T'd Coach D up again for the EJ. Coach Cline took them the rest of the way.

I've seen some basketball Ts and EJs, and those were among the least demonstrative Ts I have seen. Coach D certainly was not going all Bobby Knight. Just standing there and talking to them.

But with that said, I don't know what the deal was. I've seen way worse officiated basketball games. I thought the stripes certainly called a decent game. Maybe it was some head games for the players?

Putting all that aside, UNI is a really good basketball team. They may be the favorite to win the Valley this year. Been 3 years since the NCAA for them. Though they lost in the conference c-ship last year, so they were close.

The Herd actually got them out of their game a bit. They are usually kind of Wisconsin like, slow it down and win 58-52 or something like that.

Went out to eat with a UNI season ticket holder. He was really wowed about Taylor. Also, Marshall was a "premium" ticket game for UNI this year. Charged higher price for this game like conference games.

UNI up to 23rd in NET; MU up to 240, and ahead of 3 other CUSAs and now nine CUSAs have NETs sub 150, same number as the Big South and Northeast conferences. Next up Duquesne (apparently the only game all year not on some kind of video) which just had its first loss of the year, to a mediocre UAB, but comes in at 12-1 and a NET of 66.

UNI up to 23rd in NET; MU up to 240, and ahead of 3 other CUSAs and now nine CUSAs have NETs sub 150, same number as the Big South and Northeast conferences. Next up Duquesne (apparently the only game all year not on some kind of video) which just had its first loss of the year, to a mediocre UAB, but comes in at 12-1 and a NET of 66.
Yes, but the football team slayed 'em this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT