ADVERTISEMENT

Here is what grinds my gears

ohio herd

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2012
Okay, I am one of those who doesn't expect a conference title every other year. However, since it isn't easy to win one, it frustrates me to sit and watch what happened to us on Saturday.It was like I sat there and watched us piss away a title . It is maddening that we go out and beat three of the best teams in the conference (WKU, La Tech and FAU) and then crap our pants against MTSU and UNCC. We should never have to wait and hope another team wins so we can win a title, especially when the teams we lost to are two teams we should beat every year. I think we win Saturday and I think FAU wins Saturday and we sit home another year talking about what could have been.

What this season has shown is that winning isn't just talent, but a combination of talent, effort and focus. Middle and Charlotte are not good. Charlotte's defense had been beyond putrid all year. Their rush defense had been horrible and their pass D wasn't much better. They held us to no offensive TDs. That's effort and focus. We were not prepared and motivated.

What this season has shown is that winning isn't just talent, but a combination of talent, effort and focus. Middle and Charlotte are not good. Charlotte's defense had been beyond putrid all year. Their rush defense had been horrible and their pass D wasn't much better. They held us to no offensive TDs. That's effort and focus. We were not prepared and motivated.
Correct, and its what Ive been saying about Doc for years. He recruits kids just based on talent. He does not take character into consideration and which is what it takes to fight and get past the difficult times in a season or stay motivated and focused. When the core part of your team is built around kids that either don't have theses skills or need to be taught these skills its up to team leadership. Doc has been always about talent.

It's another reason why the 2014 team was what it was. They had a group of guys who really wanted to win and held each other accountable. The remnants of that team are the only reason we overachieved in 2015. Once those guys cleared out we have gone downhill ever since.

Reactions: Elkview and 5150
Correct, and its what Ive been saying about Doc for years. He recruits kids just based on talent. He does not take character into consideration and which is what it takes to fight and get past the difficult times in a season or stay motivated and focused. When the core part of your team is built around kids that either don't have theses skills or need to be taught these skills its up to team leadership. Doc has been always about talent.
I’ve always liked the clip of Leftwich losing his mind yelling at the team after Marshall BEAT CMU. He was pissed that they almost lost. I’m not sure you could find a leader like that on the team today. That starts at the top with Doc. Character or not most kids aren’t going to come in and take that kind of charge without seeing it first hand. The expectation is set from day one and continues from recruiting class to recruiting class. Unless I’m just totally blind to it, I don’t see that expectation with Doc’s teams.

Reactions: Elkview and 5150
I’ve always liked the clip of Leftwich losing his mind yelling at the team after Marshall BEAT CMU. He was pissed that they almost lost. I’m not sure you could find a leader like that on the team today. That starts at the top with Doc. Character or not most kids aren’t going to come in and take that kind of charge without seeing it first hand. The expectation is set from day one and continues from recruiting class to recruiting class. Unless I’m just totally blind to it, I don’t see that expectation with Doc’s teams.
Correct, and it goes to the core of the issue. Doc needs kids with leadership abilities and its my opinion he does not take this into consideration when recruiting. Its all about athletic talent

It's another reason why the 2014 team was what it was. They had a group of guys who really wanted to win and held each other accountable. The remnants of that team are the only reason we overachieved in 2015. Once those guys cleared out we have gone downhill ever since.
Correct, Its having a desire and willingness to win. I just don't think this team really understands what it takes to win. The team came out flat against Charlotte and that starts with the coach but you also have to have leadership in the locker room

Reactions: herd66
You can talk about Team and 2014 all you want, but you have to have a QB to win. We competed 6 passes Saturday... six. The weather was bad, but I’ve seen lots of games in weather that bad or worse and never seen 6 completions before. IG has made strides lately, but that was a huge step back. We are not a championship team without a solid QB.

You can talk about Team and 2014 all you want, but you have to have a QB to win. We competed 6 passes Saturday... six. The weather was bad, but I’ve seen lots of games in weather that bad or worse and never seen 6 completions before. IG has made strides lately, but that was a huge step back. We are not a championship team without a solid QB.
Yep, and part of being a QB is just finding a way to win.

The play calling equates to throwing 4 passes per quarter...that’s not on the QB.

It looks like the coaches have no confidence in IG to throw a pass. Isn’t there another guy on the team they call a QB.

After watching the game and the stupid play calling I am in the opinion that doc didn't want to win this game. Makes me believe he didn't care.
Silly opinion in my opinion. Of course he wanted to win, coaches coach to win even when they don't.

Reactions: ThunderDrunk304
I think Green has come along as the season progressed. Yes, the Charlotte game was horrible, but that wasn’t just on him. There were at least 4 dropped passes, one of which could have been a TD. He threw 2 INT but one when right through the receivers hands. The 2nd was a bad ball.

Other than last week, his accuracy has improved from the beginning of the season. Not having receivers to throw to has been a factor too. Look what he was able to do in the 1st game Obialo played.

If we had better coaching we wouldn’t be in this position-bottom line.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan

Read the article in the HD today about us becoming one dimensional on offense due to Charlotte making adjustments and we did not. Both on O and D. Our staff is truly clueless.

We could have Chad back there and I don’t think it would help with this staff.

In Cato's 2nd (147 QB rating)year he threw almost twice as many passes as Green has this year. Green (129 rating) is averaging more yards per attempt. We are averaging 24 less offensive plays/game than in 2012, that's a 36% decrease in plays per game if my math is correct. That's a problem.

Agreed. We all know how it usually works when you have a QB who you believe is the future. You suffer through the first year starting with wild inconsistency (Cato 11, Chase 15, IG 18). You hope they can improve through the year and win a hard fought bowl game that freshman year (all 3 did). Then you expect a step forward their second year... the mechanics are sound and the decision making faster as the game slows down. Cato exceeded those expectations. Chase regressed and also made poor off-field decisions. IG has been somewhere in the middle. Even during the winning streak he was only throwing for about 215 yards. It seems the coaches still feel limited by his abilities.

Will he ever be able to put this team on his shoulders? Throw for 350-400 yards against good competition? If so, when... later next year? by his senior year? What is his ceiling and timetable?

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT