ADVERTISEMENT

Hoops Pod Breakdown

Herdmeister

Platinum Buffalo
Jan 18, 2006
For those interested. Here is a breakdown of how the basketball pod system will work in a couple of weeks Following the game on Feb 16, the league will seed all 14 teams and put them in 3 pods. 1st pod teams 1-5, 2nd pod teams 6-10 and 3rd pod teams 11-14.
Every team will play 1 game against the others in their pod. Each team will have 2 home and 2 away games. Then following those 4 games, the teams will be re-seeded for the conference tournament. The top 4 teams get a first round bye. If you look at the schedule it will show 5 dates for pod games. That is because everyone will have a bye date. Here is the who each seed will play home and away games. Dates will be selected after the team are known. They are doing that so to eliminate as much long distant travel on successive dates. As an Example #1 team till play #2 and #3 at home. They would travel to #4 and #5. Here is the lineup, Here’s the breakdown:
1. Home vs. 2&3 Away vs. 4&5
2. Home vs. 3&4 Away vs. 1&5
3. Home vs. 4&5 Away vs. 1&2
4. Home vs. 1&5 Away vs. 2&3
5. Home vs. 1&2 Away vs. 3&4
6. Home vs. 7&8 Away vs. 9&10
7. Home vs. 8&9 Away vs. 6&10
8. Home vs. 9&10 Away vs. 6&7
9. Home vs. 6&10 Away vs. 7&8
10. Home vs. 6&7 Away vs. 8&9
11. Home vs. 12/14 Away vs. 13/14
12. Home vs. 13/14 Away vs. 11/13
13. Home vs. 11/12 Away vs. 12/14
14. Home vs. 11/13 Away vs. 11/12

For those interested. Here is a breakdown of how the basketball pod system will work in a couple of weeks Following the game on Feb 16, the league will seed all 14 teams and put them in 3 pods. 1st pod teams 1-5, 2nd pod teams 6-10 and 3rd pod teams 11-14.
Every team will play 1 game against the others in their pod. Each team will have 2 home and 2 away games. Then following those 4 games, the teams will be re-seeded for the conference tournament. The top 4 teams get a first round bye. If you look at the schedule it will show 5 dates for pod games. That is because everyone will have a bye date. Here is the who each seed will play home and away games. Dates will be selected after the team are known. They are doing that so to eliminate as much long distant travel on successive dates. As an Example #1 team till play #2 and #3 at home. They would travel to #4 and #5. Here is the lineup, Here’s the breakdown:
1. Home vs. 2&3 Away vs. 4&5
2. Home vs. 3&4 Away vs. 1&5
3. Home vs. 4&5 Away vs. 1&2
4. Home vs. 1&5 Away vs. 2&3
5. Home vs. 1&2 Away vs. 3&4
6. Home vs. 7&8 Away vs. 9&10
7. Home vs. 8&9 Away vs. 6&10
8. Home vs. 9&10 Away vs. 6&7
9. Home vs. 6&10 Away vs. 7&8
10. Home vs. 6&7 Away vs. 8&9
11. Home vs. 12/14 Away vs. 13/14
12. Home vs. 13/14 Away vs. 11/13
13. Home vs. 11/12 Away vs. 12/14
14. Home vs. 11/13 Away vs. 11/12

Thanks for this info! I have been wondering how they were going to do it and figured that they would either do it like this or try to work it out so that you would play previous home opponents on the road and vice versa. Since that way would have been much more difficult to try and work out, it's probably wise that they are doing it this in a "seeded" manner.

I looked at everyone's remaining schedule and based on my predicted results, I have us winning all but the UNT game (hope they prove me wrong) and falling into 5th place. However, a couple of upsets will surely change things up, and if we lose more than one, we will likely end up in pod 2. If we win them all, we can still finish first. Way too much basketball left with a logjam at the top to predict at this point.

Also - not surprised that the 1st reply to the original post was a smartass comment. Actually more surprised that it took 28 minutes before the first one showed up. Maturity level is high over here.

Even if we got unbeaten in the last 4, we would need ODU at a minimum to lose one to get the top spot. They have 3 every winnable home games remaining. Should we tie them, we get the tie breaker.
UTSA would have to lose 2 for us to get past them They play the Florida schools at home this week but 2 tough road games next week at USM and La Tech.
#2 or #3 seeds are very realistic. As long as we are in the top 5 for the pods and top 4 for Frisco.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Even if we got unbeaten in the last 4, we would need ODU at a minimum to lose one to get the top spot. They have 3 every winnable home games remaining. Should we tie them, we get the tie breaker.
UTSA would have to lose 2 for us to get past them They play the Florida schools at home this week but 2 tough road games next week at USM and La Tech.
#2 or #3 seeds are very realistic. As long as we are in the top 5 for the pods and top 4 for Frisco.
Au contraire Pierre! 2 of ODU's last 3 are on the road. Tomorrow night @ UAB & Sat @ MTSU.....
I still think having played 1 more is huge for them. It is going to be a crap shoot! Like a cage match....

Herd really, really, really needs to bring it tomorrow night against North Texas. A road win against a very solid team at this state of the season would do wonders for this team in so many ways, IMO. Not to mention what it would do for the collective psyche of the Herd fan base!!!

Herd really, really, really needs to bring it tomorrow night against North Texas. A road win against a very solid team at this state of the season would do wonders for this team in so many ways, IMO. Not to mention what it would do for the collective psyche of the Herd fan base!!!
I found this fanatics video recap of last seasons tilt in Denton. Exciting finish! CJ takes it the distance and lofts up a shot off the glass with 3 Mean Green players draped all....over....him....
Looking at that video - what opinions do some of you more astute students of the game have for the differences between the NCAA team and this year's Herd. The most obvious is P E N E V A !!!!!!! Other thoughts?

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...5363C3FAB7E0810FE67A536&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Au contraire Pierre! 2 of ODU's last 3 are on the road. Tomorrow night @ UAB & Sat @ MTSU.....
I still think having played 1 more is huge for them. It is going to be a crap shoot! Like a cage match....
I don't know what I was thinking. You are absolutely right.

I don't know what I was thinking. You are absolutely right.
I am pretty sure I am on the CBS sports mobile app waaaaay too much!
Thanks for finding the schematic for the “bonus” play games. It may not be of ANY benefit for which it was intended, but I think it’s going to spice up the run to the tourney in Frisco.
Another thing: Clarence Burks is a hell of an athlete!! Looking @ those highlights from @UNT this past winter, I was struck that he had a very confident persona. This season, he seems to have become chippy more, and imo it’s not helping.
Here’s to CJ rekindling some of last season’s ju ju on Thursday!

I am pretty sure I am on the CBS sports mobile app waaaaay too much!
Thanks for finding the schematic for the “bonus” play games. It may not be of ANY benefit for which it was intended, but I think it’s going to spice up the run to the tourney in Frisco.
Another thing: Clarence Burks is a hell of an athlete!! Looking @ those highlights from @UNT this past winter, I was struck that he had a very confident persona. This season, he seems to have become chippy more, and imo it’s not helping.
Here’s to CJ rekindling some of last season’s ju ju on Thursday!
Actually his name is Calvin Burks! lol

.....sticking my neck out - I have a really good feeling about tonite. I say we make it 2 wins in a row @ The Super Pit!!

You know... I would not be surprised to see every single team go 2-2 in their pod. Given the relatively even quality of the teams in each section, it is reasonable that each team could be favored in their 2 home games and a dog in the 2 road games.

Also, given the pairings, I'd almost think that the #5 team gets the 2nd best chance at a road win since they will play #1 and #2 at home and #3 and #4 on the road.

My remaining season predictions on paper have us finishing in 5th, so we might get that decent spot.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit sniffing glue!!
The way Coach is using the roster, I must speculate his strategery involves saving all our strength for Saturday’s @Rice game.....??
Soooooo......who in the hell started?
Theinimen? Iran Bennett? I thought he was finished for the year? Elmore and CJ.....how many minutes tonite? Not very damn many. I guess 3-4 players are in Dan’s doghouse? Jon can kiss the scoring record goodbye...I’ll bey Gay is pissssssed!!
Alright, done for now

Soooooo......who in the hell started?
Theinimen? Iran Bennett? I thought he was finished for the year? Elmore and CJ.....how many minutes tonite? Not very damn many. I guess 3-4 players are in Dan’s doghouse? Jon can kiss the scoring record goodbye...I’ll bey Gay is pissssssed!!
Alright, done for now
The lineup that ESPN app had up there was completely wrong. Same line up we have had the entire conference season. Iran was NOT in Texas.

So, looking at head to head tie breakers, you would think we would’ve been seeded 8th behind LaTech....but the travel considerations trumped, & we are the #7.....

Wow - we have the equivalent of a football bye week before we travel to Ruston!! Here we have the D’Antoni genius: Ali rope-a-dope during regular conference schedule. During hiatus, overhaul the entire system & install new schemes. Much like Rocky adapting an opposite style to revenge Mickey, the Herd shocks the world, running out the balance of POD play & blitzing the field over 4 days in Frisco. 2nd straight appearance in the Dance, and this time we take 2 before losing in the Sweet 16.....(wakes up, groggy).....man, I have an overactive brain!!
We do get the open date 1st. Thurs 2/28 /Sun/Weds/Sat 3/9
4 games in 10 days, last 2 @ home....

Wow - we have the equivalent of a football bye week before we travel to Ruston!! Here we have the D’Antoni genius: Ali rope-a-dope during regular conference schedule. During hiatus, overhaul the entire system & install new schemes. Much like Rocky adapting an opposite style to revenge Mickey, the Herd shocks the world, running out the balance of POD play & blitzing the field over 4 days in Frisco. 2nd straight appearance in the Dance, and this time we take 2 before losing in the Sweet 16.....(wakes up, groggy).....man, I have an overactive brain!!
We do get the open date 1st. Thurs 2/28 /Sun/Weds/Sat 3/9
4 games in 10 days, last 2 @ home....
4 in 10 days? I hope we don’t get to tired

Here's the entire Conference POD schedule with times and TV. Note it is listed on CENTRAL time...

Group Saturday, February 23 TV (CT)
1 WKU at Old Dominion Stadium 12 p.m.
1 UAB at Southern Miss Stadium on FB 2 p.m.
2 FIU at Florida Atlantic CUSA TV 3 p.m.
2 North Texas at Louisiana Tech CUSA TV 7 p.m.
3 Charlotte at Middle Tennessee CUSA TV 5 p.m.
3 Rice at UTEP CUSA TV 8 p.m.

Thursday, February 28

1 WKU at UAB beIN SPORTS 6:30 p.m.
1 Old Dominion at UTSA CBSSN 7 p.m.
2 Marshall at Louisiana Tech CUSA TV 6:30 p.m.
2 Florida Atlantic at North Texas CUSA TV 7 p.m.

Sunday, March 3

1 Southern Miss at WKU Stadium on FB 2 p.m.
1 UAB at UTSA CUSA TV 3 p.m.
2 Louisiana Tech at FIU CUSA TV 11 a.m.
2 Marshall at North Texas Stadium 3 p.m.
3 Middle Tennessee at Rice CUSA TV 2 p.m.
3 UTEP at Charlotte CUSA TV 3 p.m.

Wednesday, March 6

1 Southern Miss at Old Dominion CBSSN on FB 6 p.m.
1 UTSA at WKU beIN SPORTS 6:30 p.m.
2 Louisiana Tech at Florida Atlantic CUSA TV 6 p.m.
2 FIU at Marshall CUSA TV 6 p.m.
3 Rice at Charlotte CUSA TV 6 p.m.
3 Middle Tennessee at UTEP CUSA TV 8 p.m.

Saturday, March 9

1 Old Dominion at UAB CBSSN on FB 2 p.m.
1 UTSA at Southern Miss CUSA TV 5 p.m.
2 Florida Atlantic at Marshall Stadium 1 p.m.
2 North Texas at FIU CUSA TV 6 p.m.
3 UTEP at Middle Tennessee CUSA TV 5 p.m.
3 Charlotte at Rice CUSA TV 7 p.m.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
Sometime I wonder why Marshall sponsors and pays for varsity athletics when the university is lacking in so many areas.

What does that even mean, is that the best you can do.
There are valid answers to my question, you didn’t provide one.

Please EXPLAIN where Marshall is lacking that the University SHOULD NOT field men & ladies sports teams?

You list yours...I will debate you!

Top 10 JRN school in America, annually....(2) #1 Forensic Masters program in America, (3) Good medical school producing Doctors, with an 86% Ph.D faculty (4) Excellent teachers college creating teachers to educate WV students, (5) VERY good Business Department that produces top recruited students to join major companies---small & large)......JUST TO NAME A FEW.

$ Research Funding: $29 million annually
$ Alumni: 91,120
$ Total: 13,259 (59% female; 41% male)
$ Students from 49 states, 56 foreign countries, 55 WV counties
$ Average incoming Freshman: ACT: 22.3
$ Average incoming freshman GPA: 3.5
$ 1st to 2nd year retention rate of 1st-time Freshman: 72% (2016-17)
$ Average class size: 21

Oh Yeah, ONLY Rice annually tops Marshall athletes in academics!

Gary Sweeney in Rainy Charlotte

Last edited:
Reactions: chuck1069
Please EXPLAIN where Marshall is lacking that the University SHOULD NOT field men & ladies sports teams?

You list yours...I will debate you!

Top 10 JRN school in America, annually....(2) #1 Forensic Masters program in America, (3) Good medical school producing Doctors, with an 86% Ph.D faculty (4) Excellent teachers college creating teachers to educate WV students, (5) VERY good Business Department that produces top recruited students to join major companies---small & large)......JUST TO NAME A FEW.

$ Research Funding: $29 million annually
$ Alumni: 91,120
$ Total: 13,259 (59% female; 41% male)
$ Students from 49 states, 56 foreign countries, 55 WV counties
$ Average incoming Freshman: ACT: 22.3
$ Average incoming freshman GPA: 3.5
$ 1st to 2nd year retention rate of 1st-time Freshman: 72% (2016-17)
$ Average class size: 21

Oh Yeah, ONLY Rice annually tops Marshall athletes in academics!

Gary Sweeney in Rainy Charlotte

Pretty much all of this is your opinion, meaningless, or not factual.

Pretty much all of this is your opinion, meaningless, or not factual.

GREEN DUKE.
..do you EVER read press releases out of Marshall? I don't make stuff up.....

BTW, Mr Smart Ass...where is your list to debate? I know...you are all talk with no facts!

Your HERD DADDY====HerdZilla22 in Charlotte (rainy)

Last edited:
Forensic Masters program

GREEN DUKE...do you EVER read press releases out of Marshall? I don't make stuff up.....

Your HERD DADDY====HerdZilla22 in Charlotte (rainy)

No, but they do. MU hasn't had much academic accolades since I left in the late 90's. I use US News and World Report's Top Colleges in American annual review. And contrary to what lots believe their medical school is not that good. A tad bit above the Black Colleges. My nephew looked into it.

No, but they do. MU hasn't had much academic accolades since I left in the late 90's. I use US News and World Report's Top Colleges in American annual review. And contrary to what lots believe their medical school is not that good. A tad bit above the Black Colleges. My nephew looked into it.

I chose to take the high road...being a conservative Republican.

I graduated from Marshall in 1969 (Page Pitt School of JRN) and attended 1 year of Graduate School (Grad Assist--School of JRN)...then Uncle Sam (President Nixon) came calling in June, 1970. I gladly served three years (US ARMY) with a year in SE ASIA (Thailand & Vietnam).

I pinch myself each time I visit Marshall to cheer for our sports teams--mainly football & basketball---and look forward to the construction start for the HERD baseball complex.

I THANK GOD daily for the education I received at Marshall
and there is no way my small success in life would have occurred without my degree from Marshall. I was poor [Dad died when I was 7 years old and I did not know I could even attend college until last semester my senior year at Mt. Hope, WV).

Fortunately with the help of academic scholarships, bank loans from the Bank of Mt. Hope, summer & odd college jobs, mainly refereeing Marshall intramural football, basketball, softball contests----I had enough money to pay tuition, room & board and belong to Kappa Alpha Order. KAO saved my life the second semester my Junior year @ Marshall. I got evicted from my apartment because I could no longer make rent. The President & Vice-President of Kappa Alpha permitted me to live in the fraternity house with FREE room & board.

I don't share my life story to bore you...or others. I'm sure there are many Marshall graduates that can offer horror stories how they busted their ass & were "lucky" to receive their degrees from---a FINE INSTITUTION revered by many! We Are........Marshall.

I wish I could afford to give more to The Big Green Foundation (I pledge $125/month---I bet others on this social forum give a lot more); I give money to the Marshall Alumni Association and of course to Kappa Alpha Order (Marshall's Beta Upsilon chapter & our National in Lexington, Va.).

WHY do I give BACK to Marshall? BECAUSE THEY GAVE ME A CHANCE YEARS AGO.

Closing, I pinch myself when I return to the Fountain Presentation to honor
The 75...when I HERD the birds chirping, the guest speakers share their stories about fallen heroes, Doc Holiday and the local firefighters carry a wreath to the fountain, the chorus sings solemn songs to dignify Marshall and The 75. I look at the new buildings, speak to today's students to learn what Marshal is doing to educate them, visit with old friends that remain on this Earth to support Marshall and tell stories about their grandkids.

I don't need some news magazine [US News & Report] to not mention Marshall University to tell me what colleges "give students the best bang for their buck!" BTW...an ex-chief editor for US News & Report is a graduate from MARSHALL... and he is in our Journalism Hall of Fame.

I've HERD Dan D'Antoni profess his LOVE for MARSHALL...I HERD our head football coach, Doc Holiday [a WVU grad] weep & share his love for Marshall when speaking during the closing of the Fountain for a few lonely months, our AD, Mike Hamrick share his LOVE for the university that started his successful management career......

I'm PROUD as Hell to be a Son of Marshall......Nothing More---Nothing Less---even as you claim Her medical school to be a tad bit better than America's black colleges.

Gary Sweeney (HerdZilla22) in Charlotte

Last edited:
Reactions: Clarence Woodworth

I graduated from Marshall in 1969 (Page Pitt School of JRN) and attended 1 year of Graduate School (Grad Assist--School of JRN)...then Uncle Sam (President Nixon) came calling in June, 1970. I gladly served three years (US ARMY) with a year in SE ASIA (Thailand & Vietnam).

I pinch myself each time I visit Marshall to cheer for our sports teams--mainly football & basketball---and look forward to the construction start for the HERD baseball complex.

and there is no way my small success in life would have occurred without my degree from Marshall. I was poor [Dad died when I was 7 years old and I did not know I could even attend college until last semester my senior year at Mt. Hope, WV).

Fortunately with the help of academic scholarships, bank loans from the Bank of Mt. Hope, summer & odd college jobs, mainly refereeing Marshall intramural football, basketball, softball contests----I had enough money to pay tuition, room & board and belong to Kappa Alpha Order. KAO saved my life the second semester my Junior year @ Marshall. I got evicted from my apartment because I could no longer make rent. The President & Vice-President of Kappa Alpha permitted me to live in the fraternity house with FREE room & board.

I don't share my life story to bore you...or others. I'm sure there are many Marshall graduates that can offer horror stories how they busted their ass & were "lucky" to receive their degrees from---a FINE INSTITUTION revered by many! We Are........Marshall.

I wish I could afford to give more to The Big Green Foundation (I pledge $125/month---I bet others on this social forum give a lot more); I give money to the Marshall Alumni Association and of course to Kappa Alpha Order (Marshall's Beta Upsilon chapter & our National in Lexington, Va.).

The 75...when I HERD the birds chirping, the guest speakers share their stories about fallen heroes, Doc Holiday and the local firefighters carry a wreath to the fountain, the chorus sings solemn songs to dignify Marshall and The 75. I look at the new buildings, speak to today's students to learn what Marshal is doing to educate them, visit with old friends that remain on this Earth to support Marshall and tell stories about their grandkids.

I don't need some news magazine [US News & Report] to not mention Marshall University to tell me what colleges "give students the best bang for their buck!" BTW...an ex-chief editor for US News & Report is a graduate from MARSHALL... and he is in our Journalism Hall of Fame.

I've HERD Dan D'Antoni profess his LOVE for MARSHALL...I HERD our head football coach, Doc Holiday [a WVU grad] weep & share his love for Marshall when speaking during the closing of the Fountain for a few lonely months, our AD, Mike Hamrick share his LOVE for the university that started his successful management career......

I'm PROUD as Hell to be a Son of Marshall......Nothing More---Nothing Less---even as you claim Her medical school to be a tad bit better than America's black colleges.

AMEN, brother.

As you know Gary, if you graduate from the Marshall Med school or the Duke Med school, when you get that degree, they call you Doctor!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT