ADVERTISEMENT

Huff's Comments

I’m just guessing Cam was having a blast the last 6 games last season and the first 4 this season… what changed

Marshall’s fans. Just ask his sister, his teammate, his coach, and the posts on here.
I guess he doesn’t like losing… kid didn’t have a position coach or a head coach just people that told him “your oppressed and deserve much more for your overwhelming talent…..”

Marshall’s fans. Just ask his sister, his teammate, his coach, and the posts on here.
But not his mom… only people rifle wants you to ask.

Marshall’s fans changed? No one has been able to answer one simple question: where did Herd fans cross the line? Where did Marshall fans personally attack him?

Reactions: Jartard
Long post, read this while taking a nice long sh*t:

I think Huff was trying to take a page out of Deion's pressers, because Deion would absolutely say something like that. It's backfired because like Deion, Huff hasn't exactly lit up the Win column or the scoreboard for that matter.

Of course, for those who just want to try to stir the pot, will immediately look at race as being the issue. It's not. It's a convenient distraction from seeing the full body of work.

The thing is, Huff is acting like this is something new, or something he was completely unaware of. This is a guy who spent time at places with unlimited resources and seemed to fail to notice that Marshall is not Penn State or Alabama.

What's somewhat sad, is Fancher (if he actually were miserable) is really because of Huff himself.
Huff's terrible coaching has led to Fancher being ridiculed even more than he probably should be.
I actually felt bad for Fancher, because he's only doing what he's told and I doubt he ever didn't want to win football games.

The words Huff has said about "he's miserable" are actually his own.

...and what did you expect? I kept telling you all, that if you want a young, up and coming coordinator to be at the helm, you run the risk of them not giving a damn about the program and only themselves.

You get a spoiled person, who never really had to work a day in their lives (how hard is it to recruit for Penn State and Alabama especially when all the illegal payments, are now legal, and have no limits?).
Now putting them in charge of a whole program with (comparatively) minimal resources.

I think what's worse about all of this, is Huff could still have salvaged his career here and won, and left on a high note. Instead, he hasn't made any changes, stubbornly kept Fancher in, and overall just torched the team and fans, while not taking responsibility for his own actions.

Now, he's probably trying to get fired because winning isn't happening, he can't accept he is the reason for.it, and frankly, doesn't have the stock to reach out to anyone.

But hey, you all wanted this, so you got it...he cared so much a out winning that he forgot what to do to achieve it.

So if Huff won a few more games, then it would be fine for him to mention the lack of financial support to the program? Yet because he mentioned it without those extra few wins, this is what he faces? That doesn't seem to hold much water.
It's not logical, but if a coach wins a lot, he'll get to complain more. Maybe it shouldn't hold more water, but it does.

But not his mom… only people rifle wants you to ask.

Marshall’s fans changed? No one has been able to answer one simple question: where did Herd fans cross the line? Where did Marshall fans personally attack him?

I recall Pat McAfee talking about getting death threats after missing the two field goals against Pitt in 2007.

It's nothing new, but I think the issue is, with the rise of social media, it's become increasingly more difficult to ignore. You can't open your phone without seeing your name mentioned next to, "is the worst QB we have ever had" which eventually does weigh down on you.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I recall Pat McAfee talking about getting death threats after missing the two field goals against Pitt in 2007.

It's nothing new, but I think the issue is, with the rise of social media, it's become increasingly more difficult to ignore. You can't open your phone without seeing your name mentioned next to, "is the worst QB we have ever had" which eventually does weigh down on you.
I agree and that’s what I’m saying… if he’s getting threats, if people are making it about his family…. If any of that is going on at all, that’s unacceptable.

My point is I never saw that with cam. What I saw, was people saying “he is struggling to make the right reads.” “It seems he’s not throwing the ball down field well” “we should try the backup to see what they have. Cam isn’t the answer”.

None of those critiques crosses (or frankly comes close to) the line. Those are opinions of fans regarding play. Yet from thundercast as well as many others today we were told “Marshall fans crossed the line! They got way too personal!” But no one could say how except that we were critical of play.

My point is I never saw that with cam. What I saw, was people saying “he is struggling to make the right reads.” “It seems he’s not throwing the ball down field well” “we should try the backup to see what they have. Cam isn’t the answer”.
If that's what you think was said on here, then you're either a liar or an unbelievable fool.

There are countless, countless posts doing far more than that. Calling him a "pussy," saying he is "absolute ass," saying he is "shit," numerous people saying he is "terrible," "awful," and "sucks" . . . and that is just one game thread.

It's not logical, but if a coach wins a lot, he'll get to complain more. Maybe it shouldn't hold more water, but it does.
And that's fine. But a coach who has gone 9-4 and then 6-6 over the last two years doing the same thing shouldn't result in the mob mentality of firing him for calling out exactly what a previous coach did.

People really aren't taking a breath and realizing that what he said is exactly what plenty of others have with no repercussion like this.

You have to remember rifle only sees things through race because his lived experience growing up never allowed him to interact with many minorities growing up in a community that is 90+% white. Now as a grown up he has chosen to live in a place that also allows him to surround himself with people of his own color, Salt Lake City. He will claim that there is a black person down the hall and a Hispanic person lives above him but we all know he is projecting his racist tendencies into others. It's why he filed a wrongful termination suit against an hbcu.

You have to remember rifle only sees things through race because his lived experience growing up never allowed him to interact with many minorities growing up in a community that is 90+% white. Now as a grown up he has chosen to live in a place that also allows him to surround himself with people of his own color, Salt Lake City. He will claim that there is a black person down the hall and a Hispanic person lives above him but we all know he is projecting his racist tendencies into others. It's why he filed a wrongful termination suit against an hbcu.
He sure as hell never cared when we called for the firing of Doc Holliday. In fact, he was on here with us, both pitchfork and torch in hand.

But his argument for defending Huff and Cam is solely based on them being a minority. Evidently he (Rifle) is the only one who's allowed to criticize and even retaliate against anyone of color.

Where did Marshall fans personally attack him?

"He (Cam) sucks, but he was at least serviceable up to and including the NC State game." - mlblack16

"Cam sucks. He absolutely sucks and no one has taken the job from him. That's pretty sad. It's a low bar and shouldn't be that hard." - Bleedsgreen33

"I'm also not saying anyone behind Fancher outright sucks." - Bleedsgreen33

"No this was a poorly coached effort and Fancher just sucks." - Bleedsgreen33

"Cam Fancher is horrid" - Paytonwgay

If that's what you think was said on here, then you're either a liar or an unbelievable fool.

There are countless, countless posts doing far more than that. Calling him a "pussy," saying he is "absolute ass," saying he is "shit," numerous people saying he is "terrible," "awful," and "sucks" . . . and that is just one game thread.

And that's fine. But a coach who has gone 9-4 and then 6-6 over the last two years doing the same thing shouldn't result in the mob mentality of firing him for calling out exactly what a previous coach did.

People really aren't taking a breath and realizing that what he said is exactly what plenty of others have with no repercussion like this.

If “terrible” “awful” “sucks” is a personal attack to you, then you are Downey soft. I would expect such an esteemed national coaching candidate to have thicker skin than that.

"He (Cam) sucks, but he was at least serviceable up to and including the NC State game." - mlblack16

"Cam sucks. He absolutely sucks and no one has taken the job from him. That's pretty sad. It's a low bar and shouldn't be that hard." - Bleedsgreen33

What’s your point man? THAT crosses the line for you? Holy cow

So these are too harsh for an adult to to handle?

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
If “terrible” “awful” “sucks” is a personal attack to you, then you are Downey soft. I would expect such an esteemed national coaching candidate to have thicker skin than that.

You wouldn't tell your own kid that he "Sucks" right? Then have some respect for others.

I didn't recall mentioning Terrible or Awful.

while I don't like the reality of social media, it is not going away. our fan base is no different than every other FBS fan base that love FB!
I dont agree with calling any players any names. I have done it and I think it's a crappy- ignorant thing to do. However give me a break about these guys being children and bothered by what an anonymous ahole says about them on the internet. All the ADULTS(aka our players) grew up in this era of instant information and gratification, but they also know there are people out there to try and drag you down. 0% chance I would be on these boards of I was a d1 athlete. Unless I was just trying to come on here to stroke my own ego(which is highly likely).

OMG, is that the best you could find? Now go collect posts from any other fan board after a terrible game and show us where no one criticized any players. This is the strongest grasping of straws I've ever seen on this board and I've been reading Aaron's posts for almost two decades.

You wouldn't tell your own kid that he "Sucks" right? Then have some respect for others.

Did you seriously just make that comparison? 🤣😀😆

You're a fool and this place isn't for you if that's how you think fans are supposed to regard football players. Seriously man, what kind of bubble do you live in?

We all know why you're here and you've never denied it once. You are personally related to Cam and take criticism personally. You shouldn't be here, because your bias prevents you from being able to evaluate his performance objectively.

I dont agree with calling any players any names. I have done it and I think it's a crappy- ignorant thing to do. However give me a break about these guys being children and bothered by what an anonymous ahole says about them on the internet. All the ADULTS(aka our players) grew up in this era of instant information and gratification, but they also know there are people out there to try and drag you down. 0% chance I would be on these boards of I was a d1 athlete. Unless I was just trying to come on here to stroke my own ego(which is highly likely).
Agreed! I’d bet that about every player on the team has called someone they’ve played against ass at some level and have criticized NFL and college teams’ players that they are fans of.

None of those are personal attacks. Those are fans on a message board referencing his quality of play which let's admit, has been sporadic. He's looked like a star at times but other times has struggled. At times, his poor play, though, may have been a reflection of the play-calling or offensive line.

I don't think I've ever heard a single person say they don't like Cam as a person, that they don't think that he's a great kid, etc.

What I have heard about 100 times over is that he has a huge heart, he's a leader, and his teammates love him. I've also read that he's a tough, pure athlete but we are running the wrong offense for his skillset, or that he's been put in a bad position.

He sure as hell never cared when we called for the firing of Doc Holliday. In fact, he was on here with us, both pitchfork and torch in hand.

But his argument for defending Huff and Cam is solely based on them being a minority. Evidently he (Rifle) is the only one who's allowed to criticize and even retaliate against anyone of color.
Doc rebuffed his advances which is why had had such a personal vendetta against him.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Just an unfathomable comment from a supposedly intelligent man. At minimum, he should be forced to do a presser where he apologizes to Cam, Cam’s family, the Marshall fan base as well as the university.
Let’s see how Christian & Brad decide to handle it…..

That’s where you’re wrong. I wake him up every morning and say “you suck! Be elite!” And then make him run stairs until I take him to daycare.

His mother doesn’t like it, but we’re looking for a scholarship one day.

It was a stupid comment by Huff. Obviously he wasn't thinking or doesn't care to trash this program. He knows full well that he will land on his feet as a P5 RB coach somewhere, making more than he does now.

I don't see the need to call kids names, criticize their play, it comes with the territory but not to the point of calling them names.

I think the family mostly had issues with Facebook pages and X tweets. If anyone has perused the Herd Fans facebook page, that place is brutal to players and each other. Some of the posters over there are certifiable.

Nothing said about or towards Fancher struck me as anything out of the ordinary for the a struggling QB on a struggling team. That said, I can totally get how painful it would be for the player and family. I respect @riflearm2 perspective on all things football, but I do not think Coach Huff's comments were akin to what has been said in the past by other coaches. I think context, timing, and wording all matter. There is a reason why the comments were picked up by national media. They aren't routine. I have friends in other parts of the country with no connection to Marshall at all who texted me essentially saying "I've never heard that from a coach before." I am surprised how far this thing has reached. I think Coach Huff is a really sharp coach with well thought out attention to detail. I cannot fathom he is "trying to get fired." I also cannot imagine how he thought those comments taken together would help his cause of succeeding on the final year of a 4 year deal. I can only assume he spoke out of school to a reporter with whom he seems to have a comfortable rapport. Miami(OH) and Chuck Martin are an example of what can happen if a fan base and administration are patient with a coach, but in the modern era of what coaches are making (even if it is low at Marshall relative to peers), there just isn't much patience. Keeping Huff was a close call given the disappointing trajectory in year 3, which is typically considered a "show me" year for a coach. I think this situation has made it very tough on all involved.

But that wasn’t the point. The point was to expose you as a liar, because you claimed that all you saw were the types of examples you posted, which is comically bogus. Like I said, you’re either a liar or completely clueless if that’s all you recall seeing.

So why lie and make those claims?

It’s amazing that you all want to debate the examples Johns posted but you all conveniently ignore the ones I posted. And that was about a 60 second search from one game thread. There are substantially more and substantially worse if I took the time to look.

But that wasn’t the point. The point was to expose you as a liar, because you claimed that all you saw were the types of examples you posted, which is comically bogus. Like I said, you’re either a liar or completely clueless if that’s all you recall seeing.

So why lie and make those claims?

It’s amazing that you all want to debate the examples Johns posted but you all conveniently ignore the ones I posted. And that was about a 60 second search from one game thread. There are substantially more and substantially worse if I took the time to look.
Soft.

OMG, is that the best you could find? Now go collect posts from any other fan board after a terrible game and show us where no one criticized any players. This is the strongest grasping of straws I've ever seen on this board and I've been reading Aaron's posts for almost two decades.

Did you seriously just make that comparison? 🤣😀😆

You're a fool and this place isn't for you if that's how you think fans are supposed to regard football players. Seriously man, what kind of bubble do you live in?

We all know why you're here and you've never denied it once. You are personally related to Cam and take criticism personally. You shouldn't be here, because your bias prevents you from being able to evaluate his performance objectively.
hey @mlblack16. they should read the Ohio State boards. This is child's play compared to what goes on in Columbus. A QB who is 11-1 is transfering and a coach who is 57-6 is on the hotseat. We are mild compared to other places.

I really doubt college kids today are reading message boards/forum posts.
I doubt they look at any "facebook pages" other than their mom's because they have to.
They don't see anything anyone here is posting.

It's the lunatic fringe direct messaging / commenting at individuals on various platforms that are harmful.

To me, it's also that before Huff took over, MU had played in its conference championship game. Regardless of how/what had been going on, MU still made it.
That's the tagline, "We play for championships."
They expressed support in the regime change...and they hoped (based on years of bitching) that they'd be right.

Well, not really, MU has regressed both record-wise and just the eye test.

So, either the fans can admit they were wrong about it, or they can double down and get torches, pitchforks, and storm the town square.

But fans admitting they were wrong about anything is impossible, especially on forums.

I really doubt college kids today are reading message boards/forum posts.
I doubt they look at any "facebook pages" other than their mom's because they have to.
They don't see anything anyone here is posting.

It's the lunatic fringe direct messaging / commenting at individuals on various platforms that are harmful.

You're an idiot if you think athletes don't look at social media these days...which includes message boards and FB groups.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT