ADVERTISEMENT

Huff's Comments

redsfan5590

Silver Buffalo
Dec 14, 2010
I know this is mentioned in another thread but I think it deserves its own. Huff when asked about Cam transferring:

Cassidy Wood:
Talked to Coach Huff. He says this one doesn’t come as a surprise - “there isn’t a lot of money for NIL and the fans hate him. The kid has been miserable.”

He has to think he is either getting another job, or is not resigning after next year no matter what... right? How do you recruit when you just came out and said the fans ran him out of town and there is no money for him. Crazy

Reactions: HerdFan73
I know this is mentioned in another thread but I think it deserves its own. Huff when asked about Cam transferring:

Cassidy Wood:
Talked to Coach Huff. He says this one doesn’t come as a surprise - “there isn’t a lot of money for NIL and the fans hate him. The kid has been miserable.”

He has to think he is either getting another job, or is not resigning after next year no matter what... right? How do you recruit when you just came out and said the fans ran him out of town and there is no money for him. Crazy
So we want honesty and not coach-speak, but when the person is honest, we also fault him for that?

I've made the comment multiple times on here over the years: The morons on here who bash individual players are doing a major disservice to Marshall.

Assume we find a stud QB next year. Assume that means Fancher is #2. That is a hell of a #2 QB to have at our level, and we just lost him partially due to the morons on here.

Now, assume we don't find a better QB. Fancher is now gone partially because of the morons on here, and we stuck with even worse options than the scenario above. Nice work, morons.

And that's not even discussing the ethical portion of the moronic actions by many on here.

And since I have said it before without much reaction: Don't think it doesn't go unnoticed that Fancher and Huff are both blacks, that they both have frequently been referred to as "an experiment," just like the word used for those who opposed Obama. And sure, you morons have bashed other coaches and players on here, but the severity and the faster time to bash them based on 2-3 years is a lot different than what was allowed under previous players/coaches.

So we want honesty and not coach-speak, but when the person is honest, we also fault him for that?

I've made the comment multiple times on here over the years: The morons on here who bash individual players are doing a major disservice to Marshall.

Assume we find a stud QB next year. Assume that means Fancher is #2. That is a hell of a #2 QB to have at our level, and we just lost him partially due to the morons on here.

Now, assume we don't find a better QB. Fancher is now gone partially because of the morons on here, and we stuck with even worse options than the scenario above. Nice work, morons.

And that's not even discussing the ethical portion of the moronic actions by many on here.

And since I have said it before without much reaction: Don't think it doesn't go unnoticed that Fancher and Huff are both blacks, that they both have frequently been referred to as "an experiment," just like the word used for those who opposed Obama. And sure, you morons have bashed other coaches and players on here, but the severity and the faster time to bash them based on 2-3 years is a lot different than what was allowed under previous players/coaches.
You off your high horse yet? I don't think I can yell loud enough for you to hear me way up there. When you come down we can have an honest conversation and I'll gladly address some of your asinine comments in your post. Until then, have a good day and watch out for passing flocks of birds.

Reactions: ThunderDrunk304
There’s a difference between coach speak and just not saying anything at all. Huff is self sabotaging with comments like that. For a head coach, he either didn’t realize he was on record or it was intentional. Regardless, it was moronic for someone in his position.

The fans on here are no different than the fans at any other University that has even incurred and level of success. Just look at the transfer portal. And now, with the onset of NIL, the sympathy related to “student athlete” is quickly dissipating.

The comments about race are just another example of rifle backhandedly criticizing West Virginia and Marshall. It’s manufactured drama and unmerited but I don’t believe he believes it. I think he is just trolling for attention, desperate for people to respond.

I certainly do not fault Huff for being honest... While maybe not his wisest moment, I will take that over cliche's and "the process is the process," etc.

Kids today are in for a rude awakening -- See Grant Wells.

Left here because the fans soured on him, went to VT, and guess what - the fans soured on him there too... Being a DI starting quarterback comes with its share of criticism, especially when the team is losing. To think that fans on here, or inside the Joan, are harder on our QBs than other programs is ridiculous.

Huff was right about the NIL money though... We will never compete with the bigger programs in that forum. Nor will any other G5 program.

You off your high horse yet?
Nope. When it comes to things I mentioned (bashing individual players, asking for one thing but then faulting when you get it), I am on a high horse, because I hold myself to higher standards than those people I called out.

Huff is self sabotaging with comments like that. For a head coach, he either didn’t realize he was on record or it was intentional. Regardless, it was moronic for someone in his position.
Not self-sabotaging or moronic at all. He is exposing to to both fans and administrators where we need help and don't compete. I'm sure he has had that conversation many times over with administrators, and if they aren't getting it done, it is on him to expose the issue to the fans.

Claiming that the fans didn't like the kid is no harm to recruits. They will hear about that and other stories from players when they are on campus for a visit. You don't think the entire team isn't aware of the boos directed at Fancher, the morons on here who bash Fancher, etc.? You don't think potential recruits will hear about those things? You're crazy. At the same time, Huff's comment is doing what he should be doing - telling the Marshall fans that they are doing a disservice with the things mentioned above.

The comments about race are just another example of rifle backhandedly criticizing West Virginia and Marshall. It’s manufactured drama and unmerited but I don’t believe he believes it. I think he is just trolling for attention, desperate for people to respond.
There's merit to the claim. I wholeheartedly believe that the short leash for Huff and Fancher and the unfair expectations compared to past people in their positions is driven subconsciously by race.

This should definitely help our recruiting.
Oh, I don't know. I think a bigger negative impact on our recruiting would be the owner of one of Marshall's biggest fan boards helping the recruiting director at a school in the conference by "organizing" and providing them info on recruits.

But that would never happen, right?

So we lost a mediocre at best QB that couldn’t handle words. These aren’t “kids”, as a few under Doc found out and are still serving time.

Reactions: hwarwithin
It is such a bad look.

I do partially agree with you guys who are saying the truth is better than coach speak. It is.

But Huff tried to smuggle in the idea that part of why Cam is leaving to go get NIL money from some other program. I doubt he does.

But Huff tried to smuggle in the idea that part of why Cam is leaving to go get NIL money from some other program. I doubt he does.
So he is taking advantage of the opportunity to drive home the importance of NIL money and Marshall's lack of it? That's a good strategy, not a bad decision.

There's merit to the claim. I wholeheartedly believe that the short leash for Huff and Fancher and the unfair expectations compared to past people in their positions is driven subconsciously by race.
To clarify, when you say "compared to past people in their positions" are you referring to past African Americans or all the people that previously held those positions?

So he is taking advantage of the opportunity to drive home the importance of NIL money and Marshall's lack of it? That's a good strategy, not a bad decision.
So... "give me more money, and don't you dare expect my QB to do better than 11 TDs and 11 INT while being wildly inconsistent! But I need more money! oh, and you all suck. give me money!"

Nope. When it comes to things I mentioned (bashing individual players, asking for one thing but then faulting when you get it), I am on a high horse, because I hold myself to higher standards than those people I called out.

Not self-sabotaging or moronic at all. He is exposing to to both fans and administrators where we need help and don't compete. I'm sure he has had that conversation many times over with administrators, and if they aren't getting it done, it is on him to expose the issue to the fans.

Claiming that the fans didn't like the kid is no harm to recruits. They will hear about that and other stories from players when they are on campus for a visit. You don't think the entire team isn't aware of the boos directed at Fancher, the morons on here who bash Fancher, etc.? You don't think potential recruits will hear about those things? You're crazy. At the same time, Huff's comment is doing what he should be doing - telling the Marshall fans that they are doing a disservice with the things mentioned above.

Oh, I don't know. I think a bigger negative impact on our recruiting would be the owner of one of Marshall's biggest fan boards helping the recruiting director at a school in the conference by "organizing" and providing them info on recruits.

Can you tell me some of the "over the line" things that people said about Cam Fancher?

It is a good strategy. Seems like he’s expecting us to be bad next season and instead of taking the blame, he’s putting that on the boosters now. Not really the way to get more money from boosters, but trying to set himself up for his next position by putting losing on the boosters and not himself.

It is a good strategy. Seems like he’s expecting us to be bad next season and instead of taking the blame, he’s putting that on the boosters now. Not really the way to get more money from boosters, but trying to set himself up for his next position by putting losing on the boosters and not himself.
He's all about it being everyone else's fault.

Reactions: Jartard
Is there truly a lack of money or is there hurt feelings about who is getting the money and who isn't? I'm not making a comparison to any other University, obviously the difference in available cash at other institutions is no secret . Seems to me the "face" of the program is getting some cash thrown his way. Whose fault is it that Francher wasn't able to cash in?

It's a good strategy for deflecting the blame and responsibility for the state of the program. No one would honestly make that statement thinking the fans you just blamed, and the boosters will read it and say "Ya know...we should give more money."

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
It's a good strategy for deflecting the blame and responsibility for the state of the program. No one would honestly make that statement thinking the fans you just blamed, and the boosters will read it and say "Ya know...we should give more money."
You must not pay attention to coaches at other schools. Many have gotten on their own fans about booing their players, not showing up to games, not buying tickets, not supporting the program, and the struggle of competing with other programs when it comes to NIL money.

From day one it has been clear that Charles Huff is in the Charles Huff business. And, that's OK. Every coach that isn't at the 20 or so schools where you can win the national championship and make generational life changing money, wants to be. Even BP looked at Houston to get better money for himself and his assistants. JD went to Georgia, and was right to do so. Our two best basketball coaches in the modern era lasted one and two years before moving on.

CH envisioned himself taking a lower level power 5 job by now.

But, now comes what seems to be a long and bitter exit. Charles Huff has failed. He isn't a good coach. He understands that he is going back to being a position coach. So he needs some spin. He still sees himself up there. He is just 40. So his deal will be to blame Marshall and the Marshall fan base for HIS failure. Not enough money. Hostile fans. Ran off my players. Won't give. Blah, blah, blah. In his mind, if he says that long enough and tags along as strength coach for some blue blood for a couple of years, someone else will give him a shot.

I don't think anyone is that dumb, but accepting that you are never going to reach your dreams and are stuck at the Peter Principle level is hard to do. Most people reach that well before 40, but it is coming CH's time.

He is not a head coach.

It's unprofessional.
He's right but you can't say it out loud.
Assume Spears gets in his ass about it.

Everyone knows MU is broke. Huntington is broke. WV is broke in the context of major college athletics.
He signed up for it.

I will say pre social media ubiquity players could avoid some forums and dodge most of the loons.
Now there is nowhere to run. That's not good for them.

Last edited:
As with many things Huff has said this last couple of years, it's poorly worded and does nothing to help his efforts to actually raise the bar at Marshall. I agree with him in principle, (limited NIL funds), but the way its being reported, says to me he wants out of town sooner than later and his perceived lack of performance as a HC is the fault of the fans "hating" players. For a coach that preached "ignore the rat poison" in years 1-2, this appears to go the exact opposite direction.

Well, I will not say MU is "broke". Is MU as wealthy as a "power 4" program? No. Is West Virginia doing as well financially as well-run states further south? No.

But there are plenty of programs less than we are. There are 133 programs. I can name you 40 or so, right now, than NOBODY gives a flying f*** about. Just over-large schools that are running things out involuntary student fees. Most of the MAC. All of the Florida fill in the blank schools. All of these UT branch campus deals. No one cares. And student fees don't pay NIL. Then you have the kidding themselves bunch. Most of the new CUSA, a lot of the MAC, even some here.

CH new that when he took the job.

He didn't get the job done.

If money can be found or gotten I think you cut ties w/ him before the bowl game ..
It puts everyone in a bad spot...

Huff hurts his own stock by saying what he did - You think future AD's in position to make hires aren't going to see his remarks?
He hurts his own/MU's chances for next year in recruiting.
He puts Spears/MU in a position to either get rid of him now (as in the next three weeks) or ride with him through next year as a lame duck coach barring a miracle turnaround.

At this point he might as well go for broke... Send kids packing, recruit the portal like crazy, tell the new OC to bring in whatever offensive system he likes, etc.

Next season is shaping up to be one of the most unpredictable in Marshall football history.

All of this is going to change soon.
The concept of the NIL and who pays the kids.
MU obviously will live in whatever is not the "highly resourced" tier.

NCAA President Charlie Baker is asking members to make one of the most dramatic shifts in the history of college sports by allowing highly resourced schools to pay some of their athletes.

In a letter sent to more than 350 Division I schools Tuesday, Baker said he wants the association to create a new tier of NCAA Division I sports where schools would be required to offer at least half their athletes a payment of at least $30,000 per year through a trust fund.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
I live in Ohio State territory. Have any of you seen the social media attacks on a coach who 56-7? The QB left over going 11-1 with one loss to UM. What happens here is mild compared to many of these other schools. Not saying it is right just pointing out the heat is way hotter at most schools playing at the upper levels

Rifle, I cannot speak for anyone else about subconscious or conscience reasons not to be as patient with Coach Huff because he's black.

What I can say is that he was hired on the premise that the Herd wasn't winning big enough, was playing boring offense and couldn't keep the peace in a locker room or parking lot.

In Coach's introductory press conference, he acknowledged the first two items. I truly believe that many of us aren't subconsciously or consciously less patient because he is black, were just sick of watching a lot of inept, boring offense.
After Doc, we expected and were promised a wide open, exciting product...you know, All Gas. If Coach Huff was white, it'd be the same in many of our eyes.

Last edited:

You can spin it any way you like but Huff screwed up in his comment. Otherwise it wouldn’t already be in the national media.

I don’t believe consciously or unconsciously that any of this is race related. I believe you want it to be in an effort to justify your disdain for our State and University.

You must not pay attention to coaches at other schools. Many have gotten on their own fans about booing their players, not showing up to games, not buying tickets, not supporting the program, and the struggle of competing with other programs when it comes to NIL money.
I absolutely do, and it's fair to do so. But this, was not that. This was a petty swipe. Poorly worded. Unprofessional. It's designed to prop up a narrative that the reason he hasn't delivered, and wasn't extended is because the fans had a detrimental impact on his roster, and that there wasn't enough money to get it done. Again, it is true there isn't as much NIL money here. But that has nothing to do with Cam leaving. His statement was in poor taste. Period.

I thought Fancher was awful, and I also until this thread thought he was white.

Am I still racist?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT