ADVERTISEMENT

I may be in the minority but....

BleedsGreen33

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Jan 25, 2010
I never really liked being in CUSA. Outside of ECU and USM I have never really cared about these teams and UCF was the only team I hated. WKU came close to that, but they fell off a cliff after Brohm left.

I had a lot of fun in the MAC days. Those teams were easy to hate and I feel like the SBC might be like that. We have history with Appalachian State and we'll be playing teams that are more in our geographical footprint that we'll be recruiting against as well. Half of CUSA just felt so disconnected. Maybe it would have been better early on had we not sucked so bad under Snyder.

The SBC is going to be a lot more fun than the last several years have been. Especially if Huff can get the ship righted and we get back to championship form.

I never want to hate any team. I DESPISE the concept of hating in sports yet I surprised myself at a UCF game when Bortles was in Huntington. He later became the QB of my beloved Jaguars. Lol

I've only ever hated UCF (for a time), Vontaze Burfict, and whoever from the Florida Gators badmouthed WV before their bowl game with WVU when I was a kid.

ECU I like and respect because they respect us. I liked WKU for a bit because they competed well with us and were a quick drive. Outside of that, I felt like the composition of CUSA was ridiculous. They valued things other than winning traditions and it never panned out for the league as a whole.

Going forward in the Sun Belt I want to see a reconfiguration over time so that the league is less spread out. I think some of the western teams in SBC should talk to the CUSA western teams and others to form a new conference. Then we can bring in some eastern teams and do away with everyone thinking the concept of regional conferences is dead.

And I hope the next AD schedules super close out of conference games from here on out to help the fans. Kentucky is an SEC school VERY close and there is no hint we have ever considered them!

Partially agree with you on CUSA... I liked playing ECU, UCF, USM, and LA Tech in football. Basketball was Memphis, UAB, UNCC, ODU, and WKU. Could care less about the Texas and new Florida Schools.

MAC- Didn't really care for it except we WON!

NEW SBC- I like it, Looking forward to playing from Virginia to Georgia, plus most of the western schools interest me and then we still have USM.

I found it puzzling when we left the MAC for C-USA in the first place as TCU ,Cincinnati and Louisville were clearly existing the league. Card and Bearcats would have been natural rivals but never happened. Our glory days of Pennington and Leftwich where in the MAC and I am nostalgic for those days so I agree return to the MAC. But you are correct, we are in the minority on this issue.

I found it puzzling when we left the MAC for C-USA in the first place as TCU ,Cincinnati and Louisville were clearly existing the league. Card and Bearcats would have been natural rivals but never happened. Our glory days of Pennington and Leftwich where in the MAC and I am nostalgic for those days so I agree return to the MAC. But you are correct, we are in the minority on this issue.
We had to. Back then I think our TV payout was only like 34k and we were losing money on the bowls. CUSA was a lot better and even helped make up for lost gate on weeknight games. Staying in the MAC at that time was unsustainable.

Also I may be misunderstanding you, but I didn't say I wanted to return to the MAC. I said that I feel like playing in the SBC is going to be a lot like it was playing in the MAC. Every divisional team is within driving distance for most of the fan base, we're pretty likeminded universities, most of us are from small towns, and we'll be competing for the same recruits.

Also I feel that the SBC will do Marshall a lot more favors than CUSA ever did. There won't be anymore dumb Texas bias and just like the days of MACtion we're gonna be back with ESPN and when you're and ESPN product they're going to promote you. In CUSA we really were the tree that fell in the woods.

The reason MU left the lowly MAC was that under the system that existed AT THAT TIME, MU had done all it could there. MU was just clearly at a better level of competition; the TV $$ were poor; and the bowl system assigned the champion, and only the champion, to a ginned up bowl no one cared about. The MACers were happy with what they had, and still are, and no one there wanted excellence.

As to “hate”, I think it is a strong word. Hating some MACer, other than Miami for obvious reasons, is like going to one high school and hating the high school in the next town. People go to Toledo because they live somewhere around Toledo, etc. Its a public utility. No reason for hate.

As to “rivalries” MU has none, and never will. All of this false memories about “rivalries” is really just summed up as some other school was good at football (or basketball if you go back far enough) in the SoCon, MAC, or either version of CUSA at the same time we were. That is not a “rival”. Ohio State and Michigan are rivals. Ohio State and Michigan State are both good at football this year and will play each other. Different things.

As to “rivalries” MU has none, and never will. All of this false memories about “rivalries” is really just summed up as some other school was good at football (or basketball if you go back far enough) in the SoCon, MAC, or either version of CUSA at the same time we were. That is not a “rival”. Ohio State and Michigan are rivals. Ohio State and Michigan State are both good at football this year and will play each other. Different things.
Wow this is probably the dumbest thing you have ever posted and that is saying something. You have to be just completely unattached from reality to not believe that Marshall and OHIO is a rivalry game. There's a freaking trophy that the players celebrate like a bowl game when they win.

Appalachian State was and will be a rivalry and even their fans acknowledge that. ECU is a rival and we'll be forever tied together. Little Miami is a hated rival.

To say that Marshall has no rivalries is just plain stupid.

Wow this is probably the dumbest thing you have ever posted and that is saying something. You have to be just completely unattached from reality to not believe that Marshall and OHIO is a rivalry game. There's a freaking trophy that the players celebrate like a bowl game when they win.

Appalachian State was and will be a rivalry and even their fans acknowledge that. ECU is a rival and we'll be forever tied together. Little Miami is a hated rival.

I hated the MAC. I loved how close everything was and I love taking on OHIO. I respected the overlooked talent there but there was no money in it. I also liked how the MAC championship game was held in the stadium of the previous year's winner. It was great for Huntington but they changed that rule because of us! I wonder how the SBC handles the conference championship game?

You have to be just completely unattached from reality to not believe that Marshall and OHIO is a rivalry game.

Little Miami is a hated rival.
What week do we play either this year?

Next year?

The year after that?

In the case of Miami, ever?

It is hard to be a “rival” and never play.

Reactions: GreenDuke

Next year?

The year after that?

You don't have to be in the same conference or play every year. So I guess you would say that WVU/Pitt, WVU/VT, or Texas/A&M are no longer rivalry games lol. It's funny when we do play OHIO the announcers refer to it as a rivalry game. Show me another non-rival game that has it's own trophy. Hint: If the teams compete for a trophy then it's a rivalry game.

And I hope the next AD schedules super close out of conference games from here on out to help the fans. Kentucky is an SEC school VERY close and there is no hint we have ever considered them!

In the past they wouldn't play us because they needed to schedule teams they felt confident they could beat so as to be able to try and garner a 6 win season and a bowl game. After their run this year they may have a change of heart. We'll see.

So I guess you would say that WVU/Pitt, WVU/VT, or Texas/A&M are no longer rivalry games
Yes, that is correct. Texas’ current rival is Oklahoma. It will again become a rival of Texas A&M when it moves up to the SEC. VPI’s rival is Virginia. Pitt? Who cares?

I realize this is the best and probably only option available.

I don't see anyone other than Appalachian State being a rival. Appalachian State & Coastal are currently the only teams I think anyone would even care about. How many people will be excited about coming to The Joan on a Thursday night to watch Marshall play Texas State, Arkansas State or Georgia State?

I realize this is the best and probably only option available.

I don't see anyone other than Appalachian State being a rival. Appalachian State & Coastal are currently the only teams I think anyone would even care about. How many people will be excited about coming to The Joan on a Thursday night to watch Marshall play Texas State, Arkansas State or Georgia State?

I think Herd fans just need to familiarize themselves with them first. After we play them the first time, things can develop. I certainly think we can get more fired up than we have with Rice or North Texas. Heck, I don't think we actually cared for UAB either for most of our CUSA run. But I get your point. I just want FRIENDLY rivalries like we have with ECU. I really adore those guys.

Reactions: Elkview
I never want to hate any team. I DESPISE the concept of hating in sports yet I surprised myself at a UCF game when Bortles was in Huntington. He later became the QB of my beloved Jaguars. Lol

I've only ever hated UCF (for a time), Vontaze Burfict, and whoever from the Florida Gators badmouthed WV before their bowl game with WVU when I was a kid.

ECU I like and respect because they respect us. I liked WKU for a bit because they competed well with us and were a quick drive. Outside of that, I felt like the composition of CUSA was ridiculous. They valued things other than winning traditions and it never panned out for the league as a whole.

Going forward in the Sun Belt I want to see a reconfiguration over time so that the league is less spread out. I think some of the western teams in SBC should talk to the CUSA western teams and others to form a new conference. Then we can bring in some eastern teams and do away with everyone thinking the concept of regional conferences is dead.

Problem is UK doesn’t “consider” us. Why? We are to risky.😄

Reactions: KyMUfan

App State will be the new/old rivalry for sure, but the number of WV residents living in the Myrtle Beach area will put Coastal on equal footing too, JMU could quickly turn into a rivalry. Those 3 alone trump anything that C-USA offered “rivalry” wise.

Eric Rhett said WVU played on the same level as Vanderbilt, is that the disrespect about WVU you were looking for?

The reason MU left the lowly MAC was that under the system that existed AT THAT TIME, MU had done all it could there. MU was just clearly at a better level of competition; the TV $$ were poor; and the bowl system assigned the champion, and only the champion, to a ginned up bowl no one cared about. The MACers were happy with what they had, and still are, and no one there wanted excellence.

As to “hate”, I think it is a strong word. Hating some MACer, other than Miami for obvious reasons, is like going to one high school and hating the high school in the next town. People go to Toledo because they live somewhere around Toledo, etc. Its a public utility. No reason for hate.

I don’t know…I hated Toledo. Lol

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
You don't have to be in the same conference or play every year. So I guess you would say that WVU/Pitt, WVU/VT, or Texas/A&M are no longer rivalry games lol. It's funny when we do play OHIO the announcers refer to it as a rivalry game. Show me another non-rival game that has it's own trophy. Hint: If the teams compete for a trophy then it's a rivalry game.
Do MU and ECU play for a trophy?

I think Herd fans just need to familiarize themselves with them first. After we play them the first time, things can develop. I certainly think we can get more fired up than we have with Rice or North Texas. Heck, I don't think we actually cared for UAB either for most of our CUSA run. But I get your point. I just want FRIENDLY rivalries like we have with ECU. I really adore those guys.
After the video clip of App State fans shouting at MU players walking to the locker room after the game ended, should really bring out some heat from our crowd when they come back to Huntington.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Do MU and ECU play for a trophy?
That's not the point. He said we had NO rivals. I used the example of The Bell saying that if Ohio isn't a rivalry I don't know what is.

If you have a trophy with a bunch of name plates listing that game's winner and changes hands it's a rivalry.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan

Next year?

The year after that?

For Sam’s edification, we have “Battle for the Bell” games scheduled in ‘25 & ‘27…..ECU in ‘23 and ‘25, and App in ‘22……oh yeah and every season after that! So, yeah - we have rivals…

There is no doubt that Ohio is a rivalry game. We are separated by about 75 miles of road and recruit some of the same players .We don't have to play them every year for this to be so. We have played them 16 times in the past 24 years. We are 11-5 against then during this time period. With a couple exceptions all of the games have been close and spirited.

I would add I can't stand WKU in football. They had 2 good seasons and their fan base acted like they were the second coming of Alabama. They acted like they were a better program than us also.I hope Huff runs the score up on them and we beat them by at least 50 since we may not be playing them much longer

Last edited:
I don’t know…I hated Toledo. Lol
Agreed, but it was Bob Pruett's big idea to jump to CUSA so the next move would be the Big East. The problem was people in the Big East didn't like one West Virginia school in that league so they were never going to go for two. The move was made to CUSA(but the AAC took all of the big market teams) and it never recovered after it was raided. The CUSA TV package is trash, the travel is terrible, and have no real natural rivals. MU should have stayed in the MAC(it has a better TV deal now then CUSA without the travel).

Reactions: Elkview
Agreed, but it was Bob Pruett's big idea to jump to CUSA so the next move would be the Big East. The problem was people in the Big East didn't like one West Virginia school in that league so they were never going to go for two. The move was made to CUSA(but the AAC took all of the big market teams) and it never recovered after it was raided. The CUSA TV package is trash, the travel is terrible, and have no real natural rivals. MU should have stayed in the MAC(it has a better TV deal now then CUSA without the travel).
I remember a Thursday night game with Toledo on ESPN...we played terrible , got stuffed on 4th down about 5 times and ultimatley lost. But the first thing our of Bob's mouth was a complaint that Toledo didn't bring any people to the game and that hurt our attendance, it clear he was angling for us to dump the MAC for " greener pastures". Nothing about our inability to block on short yardage plays!

Reactions: 5150
I remember a Thursday night game with Toledo on ESPN...we played terrible , got stuffed on 4th down about 5 times and ultimatley lost. But the first thing our of Bob's mouth was a complaint that Toledo didn't bring any people to the game and that hurt our attendance, it clear he was angling for us to dump the MAC for " greener pastures". Nothing about our inability to block on short yardage plays!
Bob, won a lot of football games but he also made some mistakes.

Marshall first years in C-USA were good. Once AAC started, I didn’t really like C-USA but still liked better than MAC. I liked the travel in the SoCon days…those trips to windy flatlands sucked. My nuts froze off in Northern Illinois.

Reactions: LynnSept8
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT