ADVERTISEMENT

I saw this discussed a while back on this board....

Platinum Buffalo
Jun 1, 2002
....when the subject of the MU QB's came up and the 17 year old freshman from Shepherd(Bagent). I saw where he was 29-37, 306 yards, and 7 throwing TD's yesterday. He actually may be the second best QB in the state with the fall off in stats from the MU signal callers.

Thoughts?

....when the subject of the MU QB's came up and the 17 year old freshman from Shepherd(Bagent). I saw where he was 29-37, 306 yards, and 7 throwing TD's yesterday. He actually may be the second best QB in the state with the fall off in stats from the MU signal callers.

Thoughts?
lol, Part of the problem the EP is out on this island with little to no state media coverage, and so we continue produce players and teams that out perform other parts of the state. Right now Jefferson High has a linebacker that is getting over looked just like Tyson. The kid is 6-2, 235 and is close to having 500 tackles for a career with little to no attention. I get that Doc wants to use street cred he has on local WV kids to help put butts in seats but lots kids that could help him win and expand the Marshall name. Another kid that is producing at an extreme level is Martinsburg's QB free safety Grant Harman. He is a 4.0 student that will be a three time first team all state pick on defense and now 3rd in the kennedy award on offense. If Doc takes such pride in his recruiting then maybe he needs someone new following this area.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
#2 Msrtinsburg beat #3 Musselman 70-0. Looks like Martinsburg and S.V. May be on a collision course
again for the state championship. But, you can't count Capital out...they have lots of fast kids & some
giant linemen.

One of our OM posters explained that Doc doesn't seriously recruit Martinsburg since Eugene German cast his lot with Charlotte. WVU gets several kids from the EP, but there is never any talent there that can play
for Doc. Big 8 talent, but no C-USA talent. BTW German made all-conference as an OL.

#2 Msrtinsburg beat #3 Musselman 70-0. Looks like Martinsburg and S.V. May be on a collision course
again for the state championship. But, you can't count Capital out...they have lots of fast kids & some
giant linemen.

One of our OM posters explained that Doc doesn't seriously recruit Martinsburg since Eugene German cast his lot with Charlotte. WVU gets several kids from the EP, but there is never any talent there that can play
for Doc. Big 8 talent, but no C-USA talent. BTW German made all-conference as an OL.
It is my understanding that once Phil Ratliff left for Charlotte German's offer got pulled. Lots of discussion but Bagent is capable of playing in the CUSA. I think Nic Longerbeam from Jefferson would be able to compete at that level (500 career tackles in hgh school, production alone should get you a look). Btw, not talking offers, just walkon slots

Reactions: 31Herd55
Big shout-out to Cotrell who alerted us of the talented kid he coached & followed through HS, Jaleel...who at one time this season was the leading ground gainer in the nation at Notre Dame College of The MEC.
Yesterday he got 185 yards against University of Charleston (WV) and scored the winning TD with 13 seconds remaining in a 17-10 win. Still undefeated.

Big shout-out to Cotrell who alerted us of the talented kid he coached & followed through HS, Jaleel...who at one time this season was the leading ground gainer in the nation at Notre Dame College of The MEC.
Yesterday he got 185 yards against University of Charleston (WV) and scored the winning TD with 13 seconds remaining in a 17-10 win. Still undefeated.
Agreed....it was Notre Dame's coach's that saw Bagent in the first game of the season (and was lucky win)...that told others just how good this kid was going to be in the future....also that staff is the one's that thought Bagent was a D1 football player.

It shouldn't matter if the kid plays at Capital, Martinsburg, Mingo Central, Greenbrier East or whatever other corner of the state. If the kid has talent and potential, Doc needs to be looking and recruiting.

We all know there is talent in the EP (and other places as well across the country), if Doc refuses to acknowledge that and act on it, we need to start looking now for our next HC.

It is my understanding that once Phil Ratliff left for Charlotte German's offer got pulled. Lots of discussion but Bagent is capable of playing in the CUSA. I think Nic Longerbeam from Jefferson would be able to compete at that level (500 career tackles in hgh school, production alone should get you a look). Btw, not talking offers, just walkon slots
Your boy, Nic Longerbeam of Jefferson is not a totally unknown, he made special honorable mention All-State last year. Hope to see him in Kelly Green next Fall.

All props to the EP, but it is a different place and the only thing it has in common with the rest of the state is being dragged into it by politicians 150 years ago. There are probably 25 I-A programs and at least 5 very good I-AA programs (James Madison) closer to Martinsburg than Huntington.

Criticizing Doc for not getting somebody from Jefferson County HS, is like criticizing ODU for not recruiting Wise County.

I believe the criticism isn't about "getting" the player to sign, but rather, simply not recruiting any of them.
Correct, its like Doc has no idea these players even exist. Grant Harman is a great example from Martinsburg. Also, the linebacker from Martinsburg de-committed from WVU today. I know the kid has been hurt all season but is this a chance for Marshall to get in on a good player?

Reactions: bbneutralfan
Dewayne Grantham, 1st team All-State last year, just de committed from WVU...will we be interested in. Recruiting him, despite his injury that has kept him sidelined much of the year. After all, we banked our fortunes on an injured QB this year.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
giant linemen.

for Doc. Big 12 talent, but no C-USA talent. BTW German made all-conference as an OL.

Dewayne Grantham, 1st team All-State last year, just de committed from WVU...will we be interested in. Recruiting him, despite his injury that has kept him sidelined much of the year. After all, we banked our fortunes on an injured QB this year.
Banked on a hurt QB when a 17 year old kid that wanted to attend Marshall just set a school and conference record with 7 TD passes and is in the top 3 in the nation with 315 yards per game. While completed 67 pct of his passes. Not sure who is recruiting that area but it seems they missed on this one

Reactions: 31Herd55
Correct, its like Doc has no idea these players even exist. Grant Harman is a great example from Martinsburg. Also, the linebacker from Martinsburg de-committed from WVU today. I know the kid has been hurt all season but is this a chance for Marshall to get in on a good player?
We offered but he said thanks but no thanks. I doubt he decommitted from WVU, I would say he more than likely had his offered pulled.

Banked on a hurt QB when a 17 year old kid that wanted to attend Marshall just set a school and conference record with 7 TD passes and is in the top 3 in the nation with 315 yards per game. While completed 67 pct of his passes. Not sure who is recruiting that area but it seems they missed on this one
I don't think we recruit the EP, if so, it's a total failure...and if we do recruit the EP, it's even more of a failure.
We do get quite a bit of info on kids we're recruiting through Chris' posting his War Rooms, but I can never remember seeing any EP kids mentioned.

I believe the criticism isn't about "getting" the player to sign, but rather, simply not recruiting any of them.
We have actually offered Lee and Grantham in the last two classes so we have been recruiting the school. The fact is that our coaches just aren't as high on most of the Martinburg players as most of the Martinsburg fans on here are at this time.

Legg was the one making the decision on QBs in that class and he saw Bagent up close and personal and decided not to offer. We had Litton coming back, Green in-house as the heir, Morrell as an underclassman backup, and two 2019 class QB commits before the 2018 signing class closed, and at one point had a 3-star JUCO transfer QB committed as well. the coaches decided not to take any 2018 QBs in the class at the end as they didn't deem any of the available QBs a good fit or good enough for an offer.

I don't think we recruit the EP, if so, it's a total failure...and if we do recruit the EP, it's even more of a failure.
We do get quite a bit of info on kids we're recruiting through Chris' posting his War Rooms, but I can never remember seeing any EP kids mentioned.
Umm, we definitely do, but the area is full of WVU homers.

Legg was the one making the decision on QBs in that class and he saw Bagent up close and personal and decided not to offer. We had Litton coming back, Green in-house as the heir, Morrell as an underclassman backup, and two 2019 class QB commits before the 2018 signing class closed, and at one point had a 3-star JUCO transfer QB committed as well. the coaches decided not to take any 2018 QBs in the class at the end as they didn't deem any of the available QBs a good fit or good enough for an offer.

I don’t think you understand...

We missed out on the greatest college QB since Stan Gable.

Umm, we definitely do, but the area is full of WVU homers.
All the more reason to recruit the area to get Marshall's brand name out to the community.....the thing is the EP has lots of WVU fans but they also are not Marshall haters. Lots of fans that go both ways.....Also, WVU people not always happy with Dana's efforts in the EP. The prime example last year was Jalen Hessen the NG. He would have been a prop but he had Marshall written all of him.

All the more reason to recruit the area to get Marshall's brand name out to the community.....the thing is the EP has lots of WVU fans but they also are not Marshall haters. Lots of fans that go both ways.....Also, WVU people not always happy with Dana's efforts in the EP. The prime example last year was Jalen Hessen the NG. He would have been a prop but he had Marshall written all of him.
We have a 3-star NQ in house that had SEC offers at the DT position and we can only take so many or have a cap on NQs we can take each year. I know you guys want us to offer these guys, but you need to go look at the offer list and understand that we are going after a fairly high caliber level of recruits in our classes, and that will result in not offering guys that may not have the same level of potential. Some Martinsburg players may be good HS players, but that doesn't mean they project to be good players at the FBS level.

If

maybe but he is better then Green or Thomson[/

Captainjb22 is the real authority on this kid. He knows of his talents and abilities.

Shepherd, Bagent, & Co. visit UC at Laidley Field this Saturday.

I have no doubt, which just furthers my point.
I think the point is someone missed the boat....this state has had so few real QB prospects in the last 50 years and when we get one everyone drops the ball...part of the problem is college coaches don't go see kids play games anymore....they cant see how they carry themselves, how they lead, how they prepare before a game, so the human factor is taken out of the process.

For example, you go to a Martinsburg game last year and Bagent would stand on the far hash mark and throw deep out passes right on the sidelines on the other side of the field.....he would throw this pass for maybe 20 minutes getting is arm lose and he would not miss one single pass....every pass was right on the numbers. The consistent throws were crazy! This is what you get when you scout a player not just watch film.

I think the point is someone missed the boat....this state has had so few real QB prospects in the last 50 years and when we get one everyone drops the ball...part of the problem is college coaches don't go see kids play games anymore....they cant see how they carry themselves, how they lead, how they prepare before a game, so the human factor is taken out of the process.

For example, you go to a Martinsburg game last year and Bagent would stand on the far hash mark and throw deep out passes right on the sidelines on the other side of the field.....he would throw this pass for maybe 20 minutes getting is arm lose and he would not miss one single pass....every pass was right on the numbers. The consistent throws were crazy! This is what you get when you scout a player not just watch film.
good points in this post! I agree some mistakes were made and maybe it was Bill Legg that missed on this deal but we already know from another person on this board that reached out to a regional D2 coach who was once in the Sun Belt Conference that he feels Tyson can play at that this level now. I do think at some point everyone is just going to need to move on. The kid could in end up throwing for almost 15,000 yards in his career and having a 4.0 GPA, so if he stays healthy those numbers puts him in the discussion for a slot in the College Football HOF and a Rhodes Scholar.

If you actually believe that no colleges saw that kid play in a live game, then you're fooling yourself. He received NO D1 offers and you all are already penciling him into the CFB HoF because of what he's doing at a D2 school.

Let him be successful at a small school and realize that coaches (not just at Marshall) have forgotten far more football than we'll ever know.

If you actually believe that no colleges saw that kid play in a live game, then you're fooling yourself. He received NO D1 offers and you all are already penciling him into the CFB HoF because of what he's doing at a D2 school.

Let him be successful at a small school and realize that coaches (not just at Marshall) have forgotten far more football than we'll ever know.
Like was already said, a former D1 coach that has coached against Tyson has said he can play in the Sun Belt now, so then lots of D1 schools missed but its just a shame the two WV schools didn't take a chance......I would have to agree if he throws for 13,000 to 15,000 yards then he has a shot at something special after his career.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT