ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Observation on Grant Wells

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
From Virginia Tech spring football from “Goobler Nation”:
Wells: Though the most experienced of the bunch and the QB starting each drill set, Wells didn’t look particularly horrible, but he wasn’t pushed hard, either. He’s still staring at the butts of his linemen and doesn’t physically seem to be reading the coverage with any depth or consistency. During the 3rd down drill, if the play didn’t go the way the first read worked, he either overthrew it or missed the receiver. I’m still not convinced that he’s seeing his keys. He’s still to slow in the pocket and doesn’t move around enough to keep out of trouble.

Reactions: herd66
From Virginia Tech spring football from “Goobler Nation”:
Wells: Though the most experienced of the bunch and the QB starting each drill set, Wells didn’t look particularly horrible, but he wasn’t pushed hard, either. He’s still staring at the butts of his linemen and doesn’t physically seem to be reading the coverage with any depth or consistency. During the 3rd down drill, if the play didn’t go the way the first read worked, he either overthrew it or missed the receiver. I’m still not convinced that he’s seeing his keys. He’s still to slow in the pocket and doesn’t move around enough to keep out of trouble.
So what you are saying is... He still has the exact same problems he had here as a freshman.

giphy.gif

So what you are saying is... He still has the exact same problems he had here as a freshman.
Well I didn’t say it but the writer for Virginia Techs “Gobbler Nation” expressed his view but yes, apparently Mr Wells still making the same mistakes he made here.

Reactions: Elkview and RhinoD
Grant hit his glass ceiling the first year he played at Marshall. He just didn’t get any better after that.

Reminds me of a high school cheerleader I knew who was the best looking girl in the school. Unfortunately, by the time she got to college, she had bloomed and faded, and looked like some 30 year old when compared to the other coeds.

Grant hit his glass ceiling the first year he played at Marshall. He just didn’t get any better after that.

Reminds me of a high school cheerleader I knew who was the best looking girl in the school. Unfortunately, by the time she got to college, she had bloomed and faded, and looked like some 30 year old when compared to the other coeds.
Looked like a hero his first year because no one knew anything about him... Teams didn't have any tape on him.

Year two, teams figured out -- "Hey wait a second, he always throws it to his first read." So they watched film, picked up the right keys, and started picking off a bunch of passes.

Sounds like he still can't get past the first read and adjust to make an accurate throw to a #2 or #3 option.

Sounds like he still can't get past the first read and adjust to make an accurate throw to a #2 or #3 option.
You make posts based on provable statistics. I just post boring stories based on whims and my opinions of the moment. 😁

Reactions: RhinoD

not sure you know what glass ceiling means. but he did hit his ceiling.

not sure you know what glass ceiling means. but he did hit his ceiling.
I know. The origin of the term referred to a professional who had reached the limits of his/ her advancement. Later, it was more specific to a woman or a person of color who was stopped from advancing in a profession. Today, it is a more general term that means you have advanced as far as possible in a given area. If it makes you feel better, I would say Grant “maxed out” his freshman year.

Last edited:
I know. The origin of the term referred to a professional who had reached the limits of his/ her advancement. Later, it was more specific to a woman or a person of color who was stopped from advancing in a profession. Today, it is a more general term that means you have advanced as far as possible in a given area. If it makes you feel better, I would say Grant “maxed out” his freshman year.
Look At You Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Heck, watch him play against us this fall, throw for 400 yards and 4 TD's. Always seems that's how our luck goes.
He's either going to come in an carve us up or he will come in here try to hard and throw the game away like Purdue's QB did. I predict the latter. I think he's going to try really hard to play a good game and end up throwing some late picks and at least one will get housed.

VT is shell of what they once were. With or without Grant at QB they are not very good.

He's either going to come in an carve us up or he will come in here try to hard and throw the game away like Purdue's QB did. I predict the latter. I think he's going to try really hard to play a good game and end up throwing some late picks and at least one will get housed.

VT is shell of what they once were. With or without Grant at QB they are not very good.
While I think this a very winnable game, we'll have to play very well to win.
Thankfully, we'll have two weeks to prepare.

This game and ECU are crucial for a good year. Jmo

While I think this a very winnable game, we'll have to play very well to win.
Thankfully, we'll have two weeks to prepare.

This game and ECU are crucial for a good year. Jmo
VPI added a bunch of transfers but I agree they were bad last year, but we have recognize that was last year. I agree we can't just walk out there and expect to win, we'll have to play well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT