ADVERTISEMENT

Is old Doc headed to Arkansas or FAU?

When KO Marcum is your AD, nothing good can come of it. KO played MU like a fiddle. a few more years of good pay until he road off into the sunset at number 18 at Guyan. He messed up with Pruett and did nothing to better position us for entry into CUSA when it was actually highly thought of.
KO - He was the worst AD in our history!! Turible ...

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Following Pruett's decision to retire abruptly on the first day of spring practices (he was back in coaching the following year with Jim Grobe at UVA), Marshall lost something like 55 scholarship athletes from the football team, due to cancellation of commitment, transfer and quitting in the next 18 months that followed.

Marshall was left to do a coaching search in February 2005, when most candidates worth their salt was already locked up in a job. We were left with one semi-viable candidate, and unfortunately, we hired him.

Marshall owed much of its success to our "wild west" way of running an athletic program; when we got busted by the NCAA, Pruett saw the writing on the wall of what was coming, and he stiffed Marshall with the check. We were already in trouble, we were already going to suffer, but Pruett made absolutely sure that whoever followed him was f---ed, and that he'd eventually be able to swoop back in and get his job back after the smoke cleared, which is exactly what he tried to do before Stephen Kopp stopped him.

You guys can make him your Marshall Hero if you want, I'll pass.

When should a football coach be allowed to resign, so he can avoid being labeled a “quitter”?

no one knew snyd would not workout. Hell, his resume was as good as anyone. Long time assistant with Tressel. Defensive coordinator for Oh St. Marshall Grad. (That alone gets super fans frothy with joy).

additionally. The probation ended during the academic year of 2005. The insinuation that Pruett left at the time probation was being handed down is wrong. Pruett coached through probation. Snyd took over the program as probation was ending.

Following Pruett's decision to retire abruptly on the first day of spring practices (he was back in coaching the following year with Jim Grobe at UVA), Marshall lost something like 55 scholarship athletes from the football team, due to cancellation of commitment, transfer and quitting in the next 18 months that followed.

Marshall was left to do a coaching search in February 2005, when most candidates worth their salt was already locked up in a job. We were left with one semi-viable candidate, and unfortunately, we hired him.

Marshall owed much of its success to our "wild west" way of running an athletic program; when we got busted by the NCAA, Pruett saw the writing on the wall of what was coming, and he stiffed Marshall with the check. We were already in trouble, we were already going to suffer, but Pruett made absolutely sure that whoever followed him was f---ed, and that he'd eventually be able to swoop back in and get his job back after the smoke cleared, which is exactly what he tried to do before Stephen Kopp stopped him.

They were going to hire Snyder anyway who at the time was Defensive Coordinator or Co Coordinator at Ohio State. He turned out to be a bust. But, he was always going to be the guy anyway. So, we get the D Coordinator at Ohio State(at the time) but we couldn't find anybody. Ok.

Every single time we find a coach that can go 62-10 in conference, win 5 of 8 conference championships,6 of 8 division titles, and 3 nationally ranked teams, I'd hire him, while knowing full well in advance that he's going to leave unexpectedly during spring practice. Yep, he's my Herd football coach hero, and I'm proud of it.

Seriously I’m dumber for reading this nonsense. You literally have absolutely have no clue what you are talking about during that time period. Why don’t you stick to putting gifs posts and trying to be funny. You are much better at it.

Every single time we find a coach that can go 62-10 in conference, win 5 of 8 conference championships,6 of 8 division titles, and 3 nationally ranked teams, I'd hire him, while knowing full well in advance that he's going to leave unexpectedly during spring practice. Yep, he's my Herd football coach hero, and I'm proud of it.

Yup, I'm good with it.

They were going to hire Snyder anyway who at the time was Defensive Coordinator or Co Coordinator at Ohio State. He turned out to be a bust. But, he was always going to be the guy anyway. So, we get the D Coordinator at Ohio State(at the time) but we couldn't find anybody. Ok.

This

You guys can make him your Marshall Hero if you want,
I'll pass.

I did

Coach Stowers is too busy defending the AD and bad mouthing Coach Pruett and Randy Moss to comment.

Oh they did - 5 less scholarships a year for five years...

Again, the reduction in scholarships was not for 5 years it was for 3 years. Marshall's total scholarship reduction was just 5 total. The NCAA limit on scholarships is 85, Marshall's penalty from the NCAA was the program could only have 80 scholarship players on the team for those 3 years. The years the scholarship limitations were in effect were the 2002 season, the 2003 season and the 2004 season. All served while Pruett was the head coach. By the time Snyder was hired, the scholarship reduction penalty was already over. Pruett's last recruiting class was 2005 which happened right before he retired. That class was back to the full number of scholarships under Pruett. Snyder didnt have a single year where he was limited in the scholarships Marshall could give out.

Snyder ran off several of Pruetts recruits so Snyder could have his own guys that fit with what he was trying to do with the program. That's not Pruetts fault, that is on Snyder. And again this has absolutely nothing to do with the scholarship reductions as I hope its clear to everyone now.

Marshall owed much of its success to our "wild west" way of running an athletic program; when we got busted by the NCAA, Pruett saw the writing on the wall of what was coming, and he stiffed Marshall with the check. We were already in trouble, we were already going to suffer, but Pruett made absolutely sure that whoever followed him was f---ed, and that he'd eventually be able to swoop back in and get his job back after the smoke cleared, which is exactly what he tried to do before Stephen Kopp stopped him...

When you talk about the "wild west" way of running the athletic program, please take the time to consider what they were trying to do. The "Mops for Props" program was not meant to be some sinister underhand program. Marshall recruits props or non-qualifiers as they are now called and that's no secret. Props are not bad kids they just have issues passing the NCAA clearinghouse for one reason or another. When you are a prop you are not on a scholarship. These kids have to pay their own way through college at least initially. This can be a heavy burden especially when many of these kids come from nothing to begin with. Marshall tried to help some of these props by setting them up with jobs to help them make a little bit of money for school and other expenses they would have. These guys were not getting rich. In the time Marshall was trying to help props get jobs to earn money to pay for school, the NCAA changed the rule which made that illegal which it hadnt been before. Marshall was wrong but the whole thing was way overblown.

Following Pruett's decision to retire abruptly on the first day of spring practices (he was back in coaching the following year with Jim Grobe at UVA)
That didn’t occur...
Pruett went back into coaching three years later in 2008 as Al Groh’s Defensive Coordinator for Virginia though.

Reactions: mlblack16.
Did I just read that Marshall was limited on who they could hire as a head coach in February because most worthwhile candidate were locked up in another job?

What the fvck? Do you think coordinators or position coaches would simply not take a head coaching job due to being at a school already?

That didn’t occur...
Pruett went back into coaching three years later in 2008 as Al Groh’s Defensive Coordinator for Virginia though.

From what I recall of this, Bob and Al had been very good friends for quite some time. I think when the opening came up, it was last minute, and Al was in a tough spot trying to find a replacement, so he reached out to his buddy who wasn't doing anything and asked if he would help him out. Pruett only coached the 2008 season.

Again, the reduction in scholarships was not for 5 years it was for 3 years. Marshall's total scholarship reduction was just 5 total. The NCAA limit on scholarships is 85, Marshall's penalty from the NCAA was the program could only have 80 scholarship players on the team for those 3 years. The years the scholarship limitations were in effect were the 2002 season, the 2003 season and the 2004 season. All served while Pruett was the head coach. By the time Snyder was hired, the scholarship reduction penalty was already over. Pruett's last recruiting class was 2005 which happened right before he retired. That class was back to the full number of scholarships under Pruett. Snyder didnt have a single year where he was limited in the scholarships Marshall could give out.

Snyder ran off several of Pruetts recruits so Snyder could have his own guys that fit with what he was trying to do with the program. That's not Pruetts fault, that is on Snyder. And again this has absolutely nothing to do with the scholarship reductions as I hope its clear to everyone now.

When you talk about the "wild west" way of running the athletic program, please take the time to consider what they were trying to do. The "Mops for Props" program was not meant to be some sinister underhand program. Marshall recruits props or non-qualifiers as they are now called and that's no secret. Props are not bad kids they just have issues passing the NCAA clearinghouse for one reason or another. When you are a prop you are not on a scholarship. These kids have to pay their own way through college at least initially. This can be a heavy burden especially when many of these kids come from nothing to begin with. Marshall tried to help some of these props by setting them up with jobs to help them make a little bit of money for school and other expenses they would have. These guys were not getting rich. In the time Marshall was trying to help props get jobs to earn money to pay for school, the NCAA changed the rule which made that illegal which it hadnt been before. Marshall was wrong but the whole thing was way overblown.
The program was coming off of probation, the program didn't have the same talent in school as the past, and a move to another conference had Bob concerned he could not compete. He went to the administration once again for more money for the program to have something to sell recruits and he was turned down. He got retired. Bob was a really good football coach but he saw how SEC schools ran things which was win at all costs. It caught up to him. My guess is he has regrets about things but that is on him. Those regrets has driven him to try and get his job back several times but administration is afraid to give him the keys back to the car.

The main regret is he needs one more year of coaching to be able to get into the Collage Football HOF, so don't let him fool you its self-serving the reason for coming back

those 15 schollys would have been freshman, sophomores, and juniors Snyder's first year and sophomores, juniors, and seniors his second and so on......

Licious should remove himself from this thread completely, he’s getting hammered
Oh no, this is pretty much what I expected. We didn't cheat, what we were doing wasn't really cheating, Bob Pruett didn't really quit on Marshall, the timing of his sudden exit wasn't a hindrance to the program, NCAA sanctions didn't matter, Marshall has never cheated in its entire history, blah blah blah.

Someone even pulled out the tired "I am stupider for having read this" Adam Sandler reference. Its pretty much filled up my bingo card.

If Marshall would have cooperated initially and those in compliance done their job, we likely would have gotten off much easier than we did. The fact that we kept delaying and lead the NCAA on a goose chase wasn't good. That just lead to the more severe penalties due to lack of institutional control. The program started under Donnan. Even Pennington expressed concern after the fact about testing policies for athletes - yet his concerns were ignored.

Like most cases, Marshall screwed itself because those in power were incompetent, arrogant or both.

From what I recall of this, Bob and Al had been very good friends for quite some time. I think when the opening came up, it was last minute, and Al was in a tough spot trying to find a replacement, so he reached out to his buddy who wasn't doing anything and asked if he would help him out. Pruett only coached the 2008 season.
And I believe Pruett used that time at UVA toward his Virginia retirement.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
And I believe Pruett used that time at UVA toward his Virginia retirement.

Bingo! And thus Bobby’s primary reason to choose Virginia. Wasn’t he a school teacher in their system (state of Virginia)? Not knocking him at all for doing it; who wouldn’t? He needed 1 year, I believe......

Oh no, this is pretty much what I expected. We didn't cheat, what we were doing wasn't really cheating, Bob Pruett didn't really quit on Marshall, the timing of his sudden exit wasn't a hindrance to the program, NCAA sanctions didn't matter, Marshall has never cheated in its entire history, blah blah blah.

Someone even pulled out the tired "I am stupider for having read this" Adam Sandler reference. Its pretty much filled up my bingo card.

You seriously don’t know what you are talking about. Bob didn’t abandon anything there was a power struggle by the usual suspects at Marshall and Pruett. Bob was promised several things in order to compete in CUSA, the powers that be didn't follow through on the promises. Bob bluffed and the brilliant powers that be that run Marshall decided because we had a long time sustained successful run of seasons that anybody could do what Pruett did, so they called his bluff and Pruett resigned.
Pruett also talked to Marshall about having Larry Kueck take over as head coach at least for a year so there would be continuity and no major disruptions to the program. But Marshall Bowes yo the will of a big donor in Columbus I can’t remember her name and hired Mark Snyder.

The probation part did suck and I wish Pruett wouldn’t have been involved, but you act like Marshall was operating like SMU back in the 80s which is nonsense. The mops for props program was started under Donnan and continued under Pruett. The rule for the program was that the players actually had to perform the job and they had to be paid like anybody else. From what I understand the hotel paid our players well above the hourly rate the non football workers were getting and also they weren’t always doing the job and they still got paid.
The other thing was a class where football players received a study guide for tests where basically the answers were on the study guide but the interesting thing was the whole class received the same study guide not just players.

TWolf was spot on as the reason for the extent of our punishment. During the NCAA investigation we had several people who spoke to the NCAA treat the NCAA with complete disrespect. They were arrogant and condescending. So instead of getting a slap on the wrist we received the scholarship reduction. But even with this no wins were vacated nor were we kept from going to bowl games.

I’m not saying it was good and I honestly wish it never happened, and I wish the greatest coach in our history wasn’t involved but to hear you Pruett haters, you herdalicious being one of the biggest, act like Pruett was Tony Soprano.

Good I’m glad you didn’t read it. Why educate yourself when you can cling to the bs story you have created in your head. Don’t you have a funny quip to write or a gif. That’s your specialty.
Sorry, I can't find a .GIF of me falling out of my chair laughing over the idea that, even though Marshall was knowingly breaking NCAA rules, the program they had where they did it had these really strict rules.

See that? Bolding things for emphasis - that's my deal, not .GIFs. You're thinking Rifle.

"Hey Bob, it's Marshall. I got word from the printing company that Player X hasn't been showing up for his weekend shifts. I'm going to dock his pay 100% for the weekend, and you need to let the kid know he won't be able to play next year if he doesn't stack these pallets ASAP. It'd be really unfortunate if you and my favorite sports team that I am doing this for if he wasn't able to contribute in the secondary next year, but if there's anything Marshall Reynolds is known for, its operating above the board."

"Oh, and if you kick him off the team, make sure he doesn't talk to the NCAA. I almost forgot."

I’m not saying the program had strict rules I’m saying the NCAA had strict rules for the program. One of the big ones and one that we broke was the not paying the athletes more than the rate that non players were getting. Plus some were not doing the work and getting paid as well. I’m not sure why you find that so funny.

just an FYI MR was one of the biggest reasons we received the punishment we did. He treated the NCAA investigator like crap.

When I worked for Fisher Healthcare back in the day, we had a former OL guy from Arkansas in our region.
He told the story openly of the players having summer jobs to help with schooling and food/gas. Every morning the group would designate one player to go and clock in for all of them and that guy would come back to the house. In the afternoon another player would go and clock out. He said they got paid all summer and the business owner never said a word.

I’m not reading through that laundry list of nonsense that is littered with fanboy banter.

Bob cheated. Bob bailed. I actually wish Bob would somehow be hired once Doc decides to retire so I could come back on here and just swim around in your tears.

I’m not reading through that laundry list of nonsense that is littered with fanboy banter.

Bob cheated. Bob bailed. I actually wish Bob would somehow be hired once Doc decides to retire so I could come back on here and just swim around in your tears.

Tears of joy from restoring Herd football to its glory. Tears of greatness. TEARS OF WINNING.

YOU ARE A DISGRACE TO MODERATORS

Nice of you to crawl out of the sewer and grace eveveryone with your presence Coach whogottaherdon

Reactions: caliherd
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT