ADVERTISEMENT

It was more fun when we sucked

May 8, 2002
I was a student at Marshall from 1980-1984. We sucked. On occasion, we'd win a game and get all excited. Mostly we lost exactly as anticipated but we weren't emotionally invested in games. We went to have fun and be with friends. Now, we don't suck but we're not good either. What we are is average. Very, very average. We sometimes win a game against a good team (La. Tech) but then drop games against teams we ought to beat (Charlotte). Worse, we frequently barely survive against flat awful teams. At least when we sucked, losing didn't deflate us.

By any measure today, we are an average college football team. We are a bit below the mean on offense and a bit above on defense. Nearly every statistic you can think of puts us somewhere between 50 and 100 - average. We're not good; we don't suck. We're average. I can take sucking more than I can take average.

It's time for a new coach.

I was a student at Marshall from 1980-1984. We sucked. On occasion, we'd win a game and get all excited. Mostly we lost exactly as anticipated but we weren't emotionally invested in games. We went to have fun and be with friends. Now, we don't suck but we're not good either. What we are is average. Very, very average. We sometimes win a game against a good team (La. Tech) but then drop games against teams we ought to beat (Charlotte). Worse, we frequently barely survive against flat awful teams. At least when we sucked, losing didn't deflate us.

By any measure today, we are an average college football team. We are a bit below the mean on offense and a bit above on defense. Nearly every statistic you can think of puts us somewhere between 50 and 100 - average. We're not good; we don't suck. We're average. I can take sucking more than I can take average.

You need to be posting more often, nice to see you here again.

I agree. Expectations are a bitch. I am an Indiana basketball fan, surrounded by Kentucky and Louisville fans. Most seasons end in disappointment for us around here. IU fans want us back to dominating the Big Ten and winning occasional national championships, Louisville fans demand deep runs in March Madness every single year and a good chance to win it all, Kentucky fans expect to win it all each year.

In that mindset, I do not think MU fans are out of line to expect to dominate C-USA in football. We know what we can be capable of. We should be a force every year. This mediocrity stuff sucks.

you are right. I was a student at Marshall the same time you were. We went to games to hang out with friends. if we won great, otherwise we headed to The Double Dribble or Varsity and had a few.

Last edited:
Reactions: Badger369 and Mako2
Do I expect to win CUSA every year? Of course not. There are only a few programs in the country that can be at or near the top every year. Still, I expect us to win the conference every 4-5 years, win our division every 2-3 years, and be a threat every year. With Doc, the only thing that happens is we get disappointed every year.

We Are.......Purdue

Do I expect to win CUSA every year? Of course not. There are only a few programs in the country that can be at or near the top every year. Still, I expect us to win the conference every 4-5 years, win our division every 2-3 years, and be a threat every year. With Doc, the only thing that happens is we get disappointed every year.

We Are.......Purdue

Pullman misses you.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
Meh. I was a student when Byron was here. That was a blast.

After we took that L at home to WMU and got throttled by Toledo 42-0, the whole team came together and we took another MAC Championship. Good days, even if we finished his first year at QB with only 8 wins, it felt like next year would be better. Now there’s zero excitement. That’s on the coaches.

After we took that L at home to WMU and got throttled by Toledo 42-0, the whole team came together and we took another MAC Championship. Good days, even if we finished his first year at QB with only 8 wins, it felt like next year would be better. Now there’s zero excitement. That’s on the coaches.

I remember coming home one weekend. My friends dogged me for coming home when Byron Leftwich was playing a home game. How dumb it was to not go. Now they ask me why I would even want to go to a Marshall game.

There is ZERO buzz/excitement surrounding Herd football.

You need to be posting more often, nice to see you here again.

I agree. Expectations are a bitch. I am an Indiana basketball fan, surrounded by Kentucky and Louisville fans. Most seasons end in disappointment for us around here. IU fans want us back to dominating the Big Ten and winning occasional national championships, Louisville fans demand deep runs in March Madness every single year and a good chance to win it all, Kentucky fans expect to win it all each year.

In that mindset, I do not think MU fans are out of line to expect to dominate C-USA in football. We know what we can be capable of. We should be a force every year. This mediocrity stuff sucks.
No sarcasm or any ill will, just curious what made you become a Hoosiers fan? It’s strange to me that you don’t come across more fans. They were on a different level at one time. I guess all of this is irrelevant. Anyway, fire Doc!!

I remember coming home one weekend. My friends dogged me for coming home when Byron Leftwich was playing a home game. How dumb it was to not go. Now they ask me why I would even want to go to a Marshall game.

There is ZERO buzz/excitement surrounding Herd football.
Sadly, you’re right.

In the past when Marshall walked on the field we knew we were going to win or make it a damn good game. We carried a big stick! Players then had a different mentality. Your team takes on the mentality of the head coach. He has no fire and every announcer talks about Doc being conservative. Doc has not kept pace with football and it shows. He has that deer in the headlights look. It's time for new blood to energize the program to get it back where we carried the BIG STICK again!

Reactions: GeograficlyHerd
I was a student through Moss, Pennington, Kresser, Chapman, Colclough, and Leftwitch years.

I have a very hard time accepting mediocrity along with lame ass fans like Perkins and Stowers cheering for and encouraging poor performance from John H.
Oh they somehow feel connected to Doc and Hamrick. They can't separate business from that connection.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT