ADVERTISEMENT

Landon Strikes Again - just what is needed

MARSHALL77

Platinum Buffalo
May 29, 2001
Another premature contract extension - then again the AD is an expert at this so it shouldn't take much more than a 2 minute meeting.

As Forrest said - Stupid is as Stupid does
or
Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again with the expectation of a different result.

Someone please explain what DD has accomplished to date that would warrant any consideration of an extension. ( realizing we extend contracts just for the sake of extending contracts and consideration / just reward are never part of the equation).

What has he accomplished ? What powerhouse program has leaked that they are considering coming after him. What great recruit(s) are in the mix that we might lose should it not be known that DD will be here until his demise? What fantastic scheduling is at hand that should DD not be at Marshall we will lose out on hosting.

Has nothing been learned at all with the results of Herrion , Snyder , Holliday..

Back to the definition of insanity.

Reactions: Herd Fever
Lets wait and see what happens this year and go from there. I don't think DD is a threat to leave.

Another premature contract extension - then again the AD is an expert at this so it shouldn't take much more than a 2 minute meeting.

As Forrest said - Stupid is as Stupid does
or
Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again with the expectation of a different result.

Someone please explain what DD has accomplished to date that would warrant any consideration of an extension. ( realizing we extend contracts just for the sake of extending contracts and consideration / just reward are never part of the equation).

What has he accomplished ? What powerhouse program has leaked that they are considering coming after him. What great recruit(s) are in the mix that we might lose should it not be known that DD will be here until his demise? What fantastic scheduling is at hand that should DD not be at Marshall we will lose out on hosting.

Has nothing been learned at all with the results of Herrion , Snyder , Holliday..

Back to the definition of insanity.

I will tell you MARSHALL 77 what Dan has done to merit a contract extension....since it is apparent you do not attend basketball games. (1) ATTENDANCE is close to 6,000 + asses in the seats. (2) In Dan's second year (2015)....The HERD headed into the final regular season game with the chance to be SEEDED No. 1 in the conference tournament (17-16; CUSA 12-6 T-3rd). (3) Huntington is excited AGAIN about basketball (the sport that built Marshall's athletic program years before the success of our football team). (4) Go back to his press conference when he accepted the head basketball job....He asked for little money in today's standards for a college basketball coach ($225,000). He is a shade less than $475,000 now according to Google. There are other CUSA basketball coaches making more (Tim Floyd, UTEP over $600,000)....and several CUSA coaches about or above Dan's salary. (5) Baby Shack is heading to Marshall next season. (6) His players are in class & not getting into trouble...they are working to make life better for folks & children in the Tri-State area. (6) Dan gives West Virginia kids a chance to play for our University. (7) Dan spends hours promoting MARSHALL UNIVERSITY away from his coaching demands.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Last edited:
Chuckie is an idiot and his latest missive is just another one of his "I can do Mike's job" rants.

There is ZERO chance that DD is ever leaving MU for another job. The ONLY thing in extending a contract for the college is to keep the coach from leaving. DD is either going to fail and retire or he is going to win and stay a little longer. You are not going to see his name up for any other job. So why extend his contract?

As to "acomplishments", 11-21, 17-16, 6-3. Nothing more is relevant.

Chuckie is an idiot and his latest missive is just another one of his "I can do Mike's job" rants.

There is ZERO chance that DD is ever leaving MU for another job. The ONLY thing in extending a contract for the college is to keep the coach from leaving. DD is either going to fail and retire or he is going to win and stay a little longer. You are not going to see his name up for any other job. So why extend his contract?

As to "acomplishments", 11-21, 17-16, 6-3. Nothing more is relevant.
I hear you, but Dan has already built more of a brand/identity than we've had at Marshall since I can remember (I was born in 1986, so I obviously don't remember those 70s-80s teams).

Here's a tweet by a college basketball writer:

We're being mentioned as one of the top teams in CUSA, which isn't anything to really brag about, but when is the last time that's happened in basketball? Someone not associated with CUSA/Marshall saying our conference is sneaky good and we're one of the reasons why..

Also, Toledo's coach said this in the post game..."They pass so fast and cut so hard...they are tremendously well coached, offensively...tremendously well coached...and as good of an offensive system as I've seen. To be honest, before the game, we stole some of their stuff. We'll be better off for playing this game."
When is the last time that's ever been mentioned about one our coaches?

To not extend a guy because he won't go anywhere, IMO, is kind of shitting on his loyalty. We've got a great bargain in Dan. We're not going to find a guy who will build something like he's doing for the money we're paying him...and we're not going to put more money into the basketball program anytime soon to grow it the way it needs to. Why not extend Dan?

Last edited:
Some people on here like to piss and moan about everything......They are practically Mini-Landon's.

The primary reason to extend a coach's contract is for stability in the program. I think most of you are right in that Dan is happy here and really is not looking to go anywhere (and I doubt many programs are looking to poach him and/or his system).

But the second major reason to extend is to show potential recruits that the school has confidence in the coach and he can say (with a straight a face as possible) that his contract runs throughout the career of a prospective high school athlete.

Some schools will use Dan's contract as a negative recruiting tool against him and Marshall. The problem for Mike Hamrick is that it's tough to extend Dan with all of the egg still on his face from Doc's extension. Big time donors may be pushing back.

Wow Sweeny a little hot there fella?? - after the fiasco with Holliday - doubt seriously this will happen -

Think Sam and Jocktalker pretty much has it down.

Hang in there Sweeny ,but I did get a chuckle out of your "seated vs seeded" but we didnt did we...no.

Chuck is not an idiot. He is the best writer we could possibly have. But like anything thats good, it will not be handled with care. You all might want to listen to marshall 77. Anything less than a trip to the big dance is failure. At ky its a national title or bust so dont cry its too hard. Belmont western carolina butler,hell morehead has made the big dance 6 or 7 times. We must go to the big dance.Fanbase must grap ahold of the big dance or bust. DD takes us too the big dance he gets an extension

Chuck is not an idiot. He is the best writer we could possibly have. But like anything thats good, it will not be handled with care. You all might want to listen to marshall 77. Anything less than a trip to the big dance is failure. At ky its a national title or bust so dont cry its too hard. Belmont western carolina butler,hell morehead has made the big dance 6 or 7 times. We must go to the big dance.Fanbase must grap ahold of the big dance or bust. DD takes us too the big dance he gets an extension
Any one with any management experience will tell you that incremental improvements over a period of time will bring great success in the long run. Short cuts or quick fixes are not long lasting. We need to reinforce the incremental changes we have seen to date, if not through contract extension, then certainly through a raise in salary or funding for the program.

Reactions: AllEers6
Any one with any management experience will tell you that incremental improvements over a period of time will bring great success in the long run. Short cuts or quick fixes are not long lasting. We need to reinforce the incremental changes we have seen to date, if not through contract extension, then certainly through a raise in salary or funding for the program.
to early to be talking big dance stuff yet

to early to be talking big dance stuff yet

Too early in the season or too early in the DD era?

As to the season, MU has already lost enough games to be eliminated from NCAA at-large competition. Which is to say MU could win every remaining game then lose the CUSA final in OT by 1 point and it would NOT be selected. Life in a one-bid league. Same can be said for every other team in the league, excpet maybe Middle, which has only one loss (but has not played anybody).

As to the DD era, the stated goal this year was to be "pretty good", which means somewhere in the 3rd to 6th range in CUSA. Which equals a pay-to-play or an outside shot at an NIT road game. Next year seems to be what everybody is pointing towards, although I think that next year we will be talking about next year.

Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan
Well I can see progress with Dan's program building, I mean we need to get to a point where we don't lose games like EKU but its far better than it started out last year and supposedly have some real good quality recruits to come in next year elevating more. He is getting there but I would wait till the end of the season to evaluate what's needed as far as extensions go. You have to remember, Jones and Herrion both had excitement in the program at one point too...

I just looked at UNC-Wilmington schedule and the progress they are making under a coach we could have employed. Currently, 8-1. Lost to MTSU in Nashville by 5. Beat Toledo in Nashville by 25. CIT first year, NCAA Tourney 2nd year. I'm not buying all of this long term program building. But that's just me.

I just looked at UNC-Wilmington schedule and the progress they are making under a coach we could have employed. Currently, 8-1. Lost to MTSU in Nashville by 5. Beat Toledo in Nashville by 25. CIT first year, NCAA Tourney 2nd year. I'm not buying all of this long term program building. But that's just me.

apples and oranges. uncw is like wichita, creighton, butler, etc. they don't have a football program (or scholarship football program) so they're able to invest much more into the basketball program...it's the only show in town. also, last year's team was largely led by guys keatts inherited, the last recruiting class buzz had in town was really pretty good.

Reactions: Herd Fever
Let's wait and see just how good we are in the Conference Games. So far, we are ahead in the MAC...and not so good on the road.

I will tell you MARSHALL 77 what Dan has done to merit a contract extension....since it is apparent you do not attend basketball games. (1) ATTENDANCE is close to 6,000 + asses in the seats. (2) In Dan's second year (2015)....The HERD headed into the final regular season game with the chance to be seated No. 1 in the conference tournament (17-16; CUSA 12-6 T-3rd). (3) Huntington is excited AGAIN about basketball (the sport that built Marshall's athletic program years before the success of our football team). (4) Go back to his press conference when he accepted the head basketball job....He asked for little money in today's standards for a college basketball coach ($225,000). He is a shade less than $475,000 now according to Google. There are other CUSA basketball coaches making more (Tim Floyd, UTEP over $600,000)....and several CUSA coaches about or above Dan's salary. (5) Baby Shack is heading to Marshall next season. (6) His players are in class & not getting into trouble...they are working to make life better for folks & children in the Tri-State area. (6) Dan gives West Virginia kids a chance to play for our University. (7) Dan spends hours promoting MARSHALL UNIVERSITY away from his coaching demands.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

IE Mediocrity, the standard bearer of Marshall Athletics

IE Mediocrity, the standard bearer of Marshall Athletics
Coach D'Antoni will keep doing what he is doing. Building the program in a way that will pay dividends down the road. As stated earlier, quick fixes or short cuts may get a lot of wins quicker, but will not sustain over the long haul. He is recuiting student athletes with the emphasis on student. They are coachable and will develop under his tutelage. Being patient is not hard because of the entertainment value he has produced rather quickly. This team will be very competitive by the end of this year, without having a great deal of height. He has that coming next year and I am anxious to see how this all plays out. I am very optimistic. D'Antoni is a great teacher, developer, and coach, with integrity, high expectations and goals. Our players are buying in. Most of our fans are buying in. You can't win everyone over and I believe that some of the naysayers are simply not fans of Marshall Basketball and our heritage, albeit many years ago. We will see how our program develops.
Obviously, I and many others are buying in.

Reactions: ohio herd
Offering contract extensions at this point is absurd. Completely absurd.

Some of you seem to be letting your dislike of Landon cloud your brains of actual logic.

Reactions: i am herdman

Some of you seem to be letting your dislike of Landon cloud your brains of actual logic.
Let me get this straight. If we dislike Landon, then we are allowing his article suggesting a contract extension for Coach D'Antoni, to cloud our judgments in favor of a contract extension. How absurd can we get? How illogical can we get?

He said, "we're coming back."

Huggins is the one who claimed Dan said, "we're back." Doesn't surprise me that you wouldn't know the facts though.
Apparently DD pissed Huggy off enough to get the CC's plug pulled. For Marshall to provide 1/3rd the crowd and getting half the gate was a pretty good meal ticket.

Quite true. DD has beaten NO ONE with a pulse. CUSA is a one bid league, so the only way Marshall to make the Dance would be to win the CUSA tourney.

Wow Sweeny a little hot there fella?? - after the fiasco with Holliday - doubt seriously this will happen -

Hang in there Sweeny ,but I did get a chuckle out of your "seated vs seeded" but we didnt did we...no.

Dang 77 first (seated---should be SEEDED) MISAKE I ahvemade in about 55 years.

Dang 77 ---thanks for pointing out to me my mispelled word....Seated...should be SEEDED.
The first mistake I have made in about 37 years. Page Pitt (JRN Dept) is rolling over in his grave.....I must do a better job of proof reading....GRAMMAR POLICE ABOUND IN HERD NATION. Intercourse me for my misspelling. I even struggled at Spelling at Mt Hope Elem. School......

HerdZilla22 (SWEENEY) in Charlotte...C U FOLKS NEXT Monday evening as the HERD supporters honor Uncle Lewis D'Antoni (aproaching 103 years old) at The CAM.

Reactions: MARSHALL77

dctheherd...can you prove that AD Mike Hamrick was considering hiring ex-Marshall Asst. BB Coach (under Greg White)...Kevin Keatts? I mean, did you sit in on the discussions between Kevin & Hamrick? Are you one of AD Hamrick's cloest friends that he shared this possible hire to YOU over a Beer? Keatts just got a $50,000 increase in April, 2016 to suppliment his established $300,000 annual salary. Keatts received ($300K) when UNC-Wilmington fired Buzz Peterson and had to pay Buzz over $1 million to send Peterson packing to the Hornets.

DD signed 3-years ago for around $225,000...a real steal for Marshall @ the time. I support Kevin would not have left Louisville (2014) for a HEAD job paying only $225,000 at Marshall.

PROVE US WRONG.....

Talk is CHEAP on this Message Board.

HerdZilla22, Gary Sweeney (Cuz-in-law to Marshall's Head basketball coach)....In Charlotte

Let me get this straight. If we dislike Landon, then we are allowing his article suggesting a contract extension for Coach D'Antoni, to cloud our judgments in favor of a contract extension. How absurd can we get? How illogical can we get?

What has he done to deserve an extension right now?

Dang 77 first (seated---should be SEEDED) MISAKE I ahvemade in about 55 years.

Dang 77 ---thanks for pointing out to me my mispelled word....Seated...should be SEEDED.
The first mistake I have made in about 37 years. Page Pitt (JRN Dept) is rolling over in his grave.....I must do a better job of proof reading....GRAMMAR POLICE ABOUND IN HERD NATION. Intercourse me for my misspelling. I even struggled at Spelling at Mt Hope Elem. School......

HerdZilla22 (SWEENEY) in Charlotte...C U FOLKS NEXT Monday evening as the HERD supporters honor Uncle Lewis D'Antoni (aproaching 103 years old) at The CAM.

Really?

Chris, Intercourse is a word in Websters (page 273). I used the word in good taste to illustrate how stupid some folks are on here. I read all the time guys on HN use poor grammar such as TO when it should be TOO....Their when it should be THERE. I hope I made my point clearly. God did not make me PERFECT..nor did He make you (Chris) perfect.....

DUDE Sweeney in Charlotte.............

Please read my previous posts in this thread.
Don't read them. Marshall basketball is exciting and entertaining for the first time in many years. He has made incremental improvements each year, because he is building a program and not doing quick fixes that cannot be sustained. Many of us that have watched the progress of the team, the quality of the student athletes he is playing,and listened to what Coach D'Antoni has repeatedly said at tip off club lunches and other public forums agree with his plan for success. He loves this university. He deserves some type of reinforcement, I.e. Pay raise or vote of confidence from our athletic administration. It doesn't have to be a contract extension. Just some of acknowledgement for bringing exciting basketball back to MU and our increased attendance for the last 2 years. How hard is it to show some appreciation. We all know he could be making a lot more money as an assistant coach to Mike in the NBA. He is demonstrating a commitment to Marshall. We need to show some appreciation to him.

Where did that come from?

i'm guessing he just made it up, like he does with a lot of his statements around here.

Actually, we had a whole thread pre-season on basketball. The most optomistic (Zilla excluded, of course) thought we would be "pretty good".

I'm sure DD would say "win every game". That is coachspeak and it is what I expect and I like that, but everybody quoted all the preview mags and websites and "pretty good" was the consesus.

The big question is will we EVER be better than "pretty good" ?

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Actually, we had a whole thread pre-season on basketball. The most optomistic (Zilla excluded, of course) thought we would be "pretty good".

I'm sure DD would say "win every game". That is coachspeak and it is what I expect and I like that, but everybody quoted all the preview mags and websites and "pretty good" was the consesus.

Sorry Folks. I'm not technically good at using this type of communication. "Herd Fever" had asked "What has he done to deserve a contract extension right now?" in responding to another post I wrote to Raleigh Herd Fan, as follows:

raleighherdfan said:

My response was:
I am terribly sorry for the confusion. I will try to do better.

Doubtful, MU basketball has never been anything more than "pretty good".

Ehh, I think at our level you have to choose which sport you want to be known for, only a few G5 schools have the ability to be very good at both sports and those schools have much higher budgets than ours. So in short I would assume the answer is no, at this rate we will never be better than "pretty good", but that isn't to say that we can't make the tournament from time to time. That's the obstacle we have to overcome.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT