ADVERTISEMENT

Landons article - back to the main problem with the department

MARSHALL77

Platinum Buffalo
May 29, 2001
http://www.herald-dispatch.com/spor...cle_9025bbea-8100-50e6-874c-63f3b3b07a87.html

Again , back to the main issue , it all starts at the top and goes from there , interesting ( not surprising) quotes from the AD who continues his program of alienation vs inclusion. It's like he tries to come up with ways to irritate any and all but then expects everyone to support the department without fail and or question.

Not exactly the way you want your alums to feel especially guys that were so instrumental in building the program into one that was for a time tremendously good at least until the point that BP left.

Reactions: ilmherdfan
Forget for a minute (not that Herd fans do) that we should be honoring all these former football teams have done so much to further the program. From a pure business perspective, doesn't it make sense to leverage your relationships with past athletes? Celebrate their accomplishments, invite them back to campus on an open invitation, treat them as the VIPs they are. Will they not be great advertisers for the program at the least, and likely financial contributors?

I can tell you I am more likely to give to a cause that takes the time to get to know me instead of one that just sends me junk mail or blows up my cell phone at crazy hours.

As an AD the one thing you do not do is alienate people , something this AD is very proficient in accomplishing.

What you want is to make any and all athletes feel as if what they did during their time at the university was not only beneficial to the school but themselves and others as well. You continually thank them if for no other reason it is what you do , then top that with making things so the guys that were successful at the next level want to financially contribute to the program.

There is so much missing when it comes to the operation of our athletic department it is not funny. From the little things that can mean so much to people to the major issues that are overlooked , its like the AD is an hourly employee at Walmart , just putting in the time each day to be able to lock the door and go home or wherever.

Until Marshall comes up with a top flight AD these types of mistakes will continue , the horses are out of the barn but seemingly no one realizes the barn door was left open to begin with.

As said in another post , some schools move forward and some regress , we unfortunately are regressing.

I am quite sure that Moss and Pennington would love nothing better than untethered access to Marshall football.

I am quite sure that Moss and Pennington would love nothing better than untethered access to Marshall football.

Pennington is seriously involved with the university , Moss on the other hand could have been but the opportunity was missed ( especially during his playing days) still however there is more Moss could do than $$ wise if he was courted in the right way.

There are many other players as well as athletes in other programs that could and would help , however there only seems to be an interest when one comes with their checkbook and we all know there are multiple ways in aiding an athletic department that are not related to only ones checkbook...but people have to feel wanted , that their input is valuable ( which it is) , this is an area where Marshall really falls short of the collective goal.

wow...

i'd say i'm surprised but "bush league" has always been one of our biggest problems.

and how many people died laughing at the notion of too much "sideline traffic" for the epic battle between Marshall (1-4) and FAU (1-5)...

That's truly unbelievable. You don't EVER invite someone to an event without accommodations. What in the holy heck were they thinking?? This is a problem!

Reactions: ohio herd
That's simply not true. I'm a Program Coordinator, events are what I do. ANY guest you invite to ANY event deserves to be accommodated. If you have a guest speaker at a dinner you feed them, you don't give them a pack of crackers and tell them to wait in the hallway until they're called. If you invite someone to be recognized at a football game you at least get them a seat, good lord...WTF!

Last edited:
Reactions: ohio herd
From game coordination of band, PA announcer, cheerleaders (simple answer), to tacky Harley, to minor league intermission stunts (money blowing around in box), to thug music, to very loud PA that assaults the ears, to insecurity about playing "Take me Home Country Roads" (which the opposing fans would be thrilled to hear), to tired band music, to the apparent dismissal of the thunder clap (which, if coordinated, would be effective), to failure to use south end zone as a "Club" for the cool alcohol crowd, to the failure to coordinate "lightning" on the video screen WHILE the drums beat while the fans scream THUNDER while the song Thunderstruck plays while the team enters (imagine the effect it would have!), to the dismissal of We Are Marshall at basketball games, to the inept 70's student recruiting model, to the failure to understand the politics if education, to the selection of another ho hum old white guy for President, to the BOG remaining parochial instead of national and/or international, to the failure to exploit for student recruiting the nationally recognized forensics program, to failure to place that cool tractor trailer in every state festival and parade in WV (and the State Fair) with cool forensic experiments for kids, to the failure to have a state outreach program (summer exercise in all counties) to the _____________ (fill in the blank).

Last edited:
Like i said in the thread about the YTH sweatshirts - the entire athletic dept. is run by a bunch of short-sighted, ignorant bozos. What we need is some young, innovative people with a strong work ethic that will think outside the box and do things to bring fans and alums in, not drive them away. Instead, we keep slipping further and further away from relevance.

Reactions: murox and Marine03
From game coordination of band, PA announcer, cheerleaders (simple answer), to tacky Harley, to minor league intermission stunts (money blowing around in box), to thug music, to very loud PA that assaults the ears, to insecurity about playing "Take me Home Country Roads" (which the opposing fans would be thrilled to hear), to tired band music, to the apparent dismissal of the thunder clap (which, if coordinated, would be effective), to failure to use south end zone as a "Club" for the cool alcohol crowd, to the failure to coordinate "lightning" on the video screen WHILE the drums beat while the fans scream THUNDER while the song Thunderstruck plays while the team enters (imagine the effect it would have!), to the dismissal of We Are Marshall at basketball games, to the inept 70's student recruiting model, to the failure to understand the politics if education, to the selection of another ho hum old white guy for President, to the BOG remaining parochial instead of national and/or international, to the failure to exploit for student recruiting the nationally recognized forensics program, to failure to place that cool tractor trailer in every state festival and parade in WV (and the State Fair) with cool forensic experiments for kids, ti the failure to have a state outreach program (summer exercise in all counties) to the _____________ (fill in the blank).

No idea what the point of this rant is but if it's in response of criticism towards the treatment of players in this article it's a lame attempt to defend it.

The more i think about this, the more pissed off i get. This is a fireable offense imho. From Hamrick to the people running the tailgate, if I were the University Pres. - gone. All of them. And the marketing dept. right behind.

Reactions: murox
Geez and when I have previously complained about Mike Hamrick his "he raised money" backers tore me to shreds. No question Mike is a Marshall guy. No complaint there. He has improved our football schedule. No complaint there. But his calling out fans and criticing us for not supporting the program is uncalled for. Why is it so important to have a "Marshall" guy as our AD? Seems like someone with no connection could run the department. Waiting to see how MH handles the budget cuts mandated by the Governor. I'm sure he will be asking us to give to ensure we stay at our current level of competition whatever that is now.

The university president needs to step in and change this stupid ass policy effective immediately. This is one of the dumbest things we've ever done from a PR perspective with our former players. Everyone that is invited to the field should be allowed to stay. All of those folks they use for PR when we are told "look at the 20 yard line" should be allowed to stay on the sideline if they wish. At a minimum they should be provided a seat if they elect not to stand on the sidelines. I agree with the previous posts. It isn't like we have been playing national title games and the sidelines are so overcrowded. Hamrick needs to get his head out of his ass and it needs to happen right now. If I were the president Hamrick would be getting an ass chewing of epic proportions.

"We left skin out there on that field. We slid and left skin out there. I've got marks on my legs now. I came to one game this year and I couldn't even stand on the sidelines at my own university. Yet, they're going to send me letter, after letter, after letter asking me for money."

-SMFH

Reactions: HerdFan91
I'm not a mob mentality guy but time for torches and pitchforks to come out. Time for fans to unify and demand answers and accountability from our leaders

Reactions: ilmherdfan
I'm sooooooooo glad I don't pay to read the Dogpatch. Landon being the main reason.

With writers like Landon who needs eerbilly trolls?

Chuck "cheap shot " Landon probably has done more damage to the Marshall Football program than the plane crash since Doc arrived. If I'm a recruit reading his trash I'd never come to Marshall.

He is a piece of SHIT.

How's that for cheap shots Chuck? You fing stink .

Reactions: GreenDuke
I'm sooooooooo glad I don't pay to read the Dogpatch. Landon being the main reason.

Chuck "cheap shot " Landon probably has done more damage to the Marshall Football program than the plane crash since Doc arrived. If I'm a recruit reading his trash I'd never come to Marshall.

He is a piece of SHIT.

I originally had your opinion to but I hve verified what chuck wrote from others

Greenhouse he based that on players from the 96 team - not just a figment of his imagination. Ask some of the players who were there man. I won't dispute your opinion regarding Chuckles but he is spot on this time and the President needs to have a talk with his AD.

I have a friend who played football at Ohio State under Woody Hayes. I attended many games at the Shoe with him. Before several games when Cooper and Tressell were there he and other former players would be on the field to welcome the team onto the field. TOSU takes care of former players we need to do the same

Reactions: anon_0314hp8ssprnn
It's true, the only thing Mr. Hammrick is worried about is looking good in front of the camera and shaking hands with JJ and the boy's every summer at the PGA.

But yet even with this I am sure the AD sees no issue nor would understand the sentiment of the players - these guys were a big part of the success the program had up until the time that Coach P left.

Bush league for sure - but then we are famous for that (and getting better with this AD) as well as being one of the if not the best in screwing up something that any other school would have no problem pulling off.

And then the department wonders where the support is when it comes to former players?? or I guess in the mind of the AD , its not important.

He is a piece of SHIT.

So you approve of treating former players like trash. Nice Mrs Hamrick!

Reactions: Marshallgirl15
I am not approving what took place that day. I am not defending Hamrick. But as someone that has experience fundraising in college athletics and being in the trenches there is nothing more frustrating than constantly answering requests from former players who refuse to give a dime back to the program. The statistics on former student-athlete donations is atrocious. My gut tells me there is some bad blood between Mike and some of these guys due to that issue. And it's simply a difference of opinion. Mike is a former student-athlete that "gets it". Just cause you put on a jersey doesn't mean the school owes you until the day you die. You also received a free education and a degree (in most cases). Where do these athletes think the money came from? My message to them was always "help out the next guy". But many don't see it that way. The problem is there has to be common ground and you should never make them feel unwelcome. But I have no issue with making them feel a little uncomfortable when you know some of them are doing quite well and have not donated a dime back. There are 300 former players to one Vinny Curry and Chad Pennington. At the end of the day though Mike needs to swallow a bit of ego and avoid articles like the one Landon wrote this morning.

He is a piece of SHIT.

TheGreenhouseEffect...your emotional finger lashing of Chuck is WRONG. I called two of the 1996 players BEFORE I posted my rage at AD (Mike Hamrick) and his Security Guards. The 1996 guys were made to feel like dirty trash. They took time out to return to a school they helped to make famous and get kicked to the curb after being USED by our AD for his Self Glory, prior to kickoff.

I am PISSED OFF that any Marshall graduate is treated with a lack of RESPECT. Yet, The Big GREEN Foundation wants 110 % more from all of us. I am this close (..) to calling Monday and aborting my monthly $110 pledge ($1,452 year) and my Football Season tickets.

HerdZilla22 (Gary Sweeney in Charlotte).

TheGreenhouseEffect...your emotional finger lashing of Chuck is WRONG. I called two of the 1996 players BEFORE I posted my rage at AD (Mike Hamrick) and his Security Guards. The 1996 guys were made to feel like dirty trash. They took time out to return to a school they helped to make famous and get kicked to the curb after being USED by our AD for his Self Glory, prior to kickoff.

I am PISSED OFF that any Marshall graduate is treated with a lack of RESPECT. Yet, The Big GREEN Foundation wants 110 % more from all of us. I am this close (..) to calling Monday and aborting my monthly $110 pledge ($1,452 year) and my Football Season tickets.

HerdZilla22 (Gary Sweeney in Charlotte).

Such self absorption. Lmao.

I am not approving what took place that day. I am not defending Hamrick. But as someone that has experience fundraising in college athletics and being in the trenches there is nothing more frustrating than constantly answering requests from former players who refuse to give a dime back to the program. The statistics on former student-athlete donations is atrocious. My gut tells me there is some bad blood between Mike and some of these guys due to that issue. And it's simply a difference of opinion. Mike is a former student-athlete that "gets it". Just cause you put on a jersey doesn't mean the school owes you until the day you die. You also received a free education and a degree (in most cases). Where do these athletes think the money came from? My message to them was always "help out the next guy". But many don't see it that way. The problem is there has to be common ground and you should never make them feel unwelcome. But I have no issue with making them feel a little uncomfortable when you know some of them are doing quite well and have not donated a dime back. There are 300 former players to one Vinny Curry and Chad Pennington. At the end of the day though Mike needs to swallow a bit of ego and avoid articles like the one Landon wrote this morning.[/QUOTE

I would be shocked if these guys hadn't been approached before about giving back. I am sure they would if they could.
Marshall does a piss poor job of cultivating new donors and new fans in general. They expect everyone to cone to them and not the other way around. If doesn't work like that. Marshall has to be very proactive and aggressive in going after new donors. And that is not being done.

And possibly some of these former players were thinking about making a future donation. Mike and MU can say adios to that after this latest debacle.

I would have expected this from KO but not Hamrick.

I've dealt with and chatted with Hamrick on several occasions, he has always been engaged, polite and listens.

My take there is more to this story than what cheap shot is writing. He's slanted it so it looks worse than it is....however since I won't read the dogpatch due to CL I really don't know.

One thing I DO know is, Landon takes EVERY opening he can find to trash the football program. He's consistent on that , which is why I'd speculate this article is more of the same slant.

I am not approving what took place that day. I am not defending Hamrick. But as someone that has experience fundraising in college athletics and being in the trenches there is nothing more frustrating than constantly answering requests from former players who refuse to give a dime back to the program. The statistics on former student-athlete donations is atrocious. My gut tells me there is some bad blood between Mike and some of these guys due to that issue. And it's simply a difference of opinion. Mike is a former student-athlete that "gets it". Just cause you put on a jersey doesn't mean the school owes you until the day you die. You also received a free education and a degree (in most cases). Where do these athletes think the money came from? My message to them was always "help out the next guy". But many don't see it that way. The problem is there has to be common ground and you should never make them feel unwelcome. But I have no issue with making them feel a little uncomfortable when you know some of them are doing quite well and have not donated a dime back. There are 300 former players to one Vinny Curry and Chad Pennington. At the end of the day though Mike needs to swallow a bit of ego and avoid articles like the one Landon wrote this morning.

Good post. I agree with much of this. There is a reason many of the former athletes probably don't contribute at the level MH would like to see. I don't agree with making them "uncomfortable" no matter their situation. Many of them are not from the area and may not return to Marshall for more than a few times after they graduate. We should be doing all we can to ensure those athletes keep a connection after they graduate. Marshall should be doing this led by the AD. It makes sense not only because we need all alumni to contribute in some way but because we need ambassadors. It is marketing that we can't buy but is more valuable than any other. This was a wonderful opportunity to make and keep that connection for many of these alumni and Hamrick failed. Mabye some that hadn't kept a connection with MU would have started after this reunion. Most likely not now. Hamrick needs to be leading instead of just complaining and guilt tripping everyone else and snubbing those he doesn't feel are "worthy" of his attention.

Just days ago I thought Hamrick was doing a good job but the way the football program has been handled (or not) at this point and this news is really causing me to reconsider that position.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT