ADVERTISEMENT

Landons article - back to the main problem with the department

Good post. I agree with much of this. There is a reason many of the former athletes probably don't contribute at the level MH would like to see. I don't agree with making them "uncomfortable" no matter their situation. Many of them are not from the area and may not return to Marshall for more than a few times after they graduate. We should be doing all we can to ensure those athletes keep a connection after they graduate. Marshall should be doing this led by the AD. It makes sense not only because we need all alumni to contribute in some way but because we need ambassadors. It is marketing that we can't buy but is more valuable than any other. This was a wonderful opportunity to make and keep that connection for many of these alumni and Hamrick failed. Mabye some that hadn't kept a connection with MU would have started after this reunion. Most likely not now. Hamrick needs to be leading instead of just complaining and guilt tripping everyone else and snubbing those he doesn't feel are "worthy" of his attention.

Just days ago I thought Hamrick was doing a good job but the way the football program has been handled (or not) at this point and this news is really causing me to reconsider that position.

Nobody contributes as much as they should according to Mike. The fans suck according to him.

I've dealt with and chatted with Hamrick on several occasions, he has always been engaged, polite and listens.

My take there is more to this story than what cheap shot is writing. He's slanted it so it looks worse than it is....however since I won't read the dogpatch due to CL I really don't know.

One thing I DO know is, Landon takes EVERY opening he can find to trash the football program. He's consistent on that , which is why I'd speculate this article is more of the same slant.

So you are calling the players liars or saying Landon made this all up?
Sorry but the comments have been verified. Landon was reporting what took place, you know, the truth.

That's right, it's Marshall's AD, they do nothing wrong - it's everyone else whose the problem. Lol!

Reactions: MARSHALL77
Understand when I say "uncomfortable" it simply means asking for a donation of any kind. No different than any lunch the BG staff members should be having on a daily basis. These former athletes don't want to make a $100 donation. Sorry but Hamrick has every right to ask for it and it does make them all uncomfortable cause they come back, expect royal treatment, and walk away without donating one dime (not everyone but the majority). Who the hell pays for that banquet and pregame tailgate? It's a whole mentality that extends nationwide with former athletes. It is what it is. Will never change and is the same at every school. They should be the front line of donors given they all went to school "on a free ride". But they aren't and it's hard to fathom for some that do "get it". I don't condone mistreatment and am frustrated to see there is a clear lack of communication. But I also don't feel bad for someone that doesn't give back...just me...feel free to disagree. No different than voting. You want your candidate to win then vote. You want your school to win and you want a say then donate. College athletics is all about money, no secret. And notice I have not one time said you have to donate a certain amount...

About five years ago Marshall had the I-forget-the-name-of-it greatness campaign. I donated $5,000. Got a form letter. Last year I did not increase 110%, but 200%. I got a form letter. Two years ago I gave a measly $1,000 to WVU. They reserved me a room at the Hampton Inn three days before the Baylor game, two 30 yard line tickets, reserved parking and admission to the Foundation Suite. The donation was chump change but they knew that it was a start and by cultivating it, there would be much more in the future. You want to know what separates WVU from Marshall.....this does.....

Last edited:
By the way, I know and like MH. The issue as I see it is that he knows it all. Kopp knew it all and it remains to be seen if Don Knotts knows it all. When you know it all, you neither solicit nor accept reasonable ideas/proposals from well-intentioned fans, staff, alumni or supporters....

Dr. Gilbert simply has not been here long enough but Hamrick has probably ingratiated himself with the Prez no doubt.

Not so sure Gilbert is an all out sports prez either. Then you would have the issue of him being able to use the excuse he just became the sheriff. Unfortunately the AD can not be linked to any other school at this time but after the trifecta of ECU / UNLV and now us , that is not surprising..

TheGreenhouseEffect...your emotional finger lashing of Chuck is WRONG. I called two of the 1996 players BEFORE I posted my rage at AD (Mike Hamrick) and his Security Guards. The 1996 guys were made to feel like dirty trash. They took time out to return to a school they helped to make famous and get kicked to the curb after being USED by our AD for his Self Glory, prior to kickoff.

I am PISSED OFF that any Marshall graduate is treated with a lack of RESPECT. Yet, The Big GREEN Foundation wants 110 % more from all of us. I am this close (..) to calling Monday and aborting my monthly $110 pledge ($1,452 year) and my Football Season tickets.

HerdZilla22 (Gary Sweeney in Charlotte).

If you call, please ask for a statement from the AD prior to taking action. Chuck has been known to take liberty with the facts and (no offence) you do not identify your source. I'd simply like to hear both sides of the story prior to making a personal decision. Given the weight of this story, no communication from the AD will say a lot.

I am not approving what took place that day. I am not defending Hamrick. But as someone that has experience fundraising in college athletics and being in the trenches there is nothing more frustrating than constantly answering requests from former players who refuse to give a dime back to the program. The statistics on former student-athlete donations is atrocious. My gut tells me there is some bad blood between Mike and some of these guys due to that issue. And it's simply a difference of opinion. Mike is a former student-athlete that "gets it". Just cause you put on a jersey doesn't mean the school owes you until the day you die. You also received a free education and a degree (in most cases). Where do these athletes think the money came from? My message to them was always "help out the next guy". But many don't see it that way. The problem is there has to be common ground and you should never make them feel unwelcome. But I have no issue with making them feel a little uncomfortable when you know some of them are doing quite well and have not donated a dime back. There are 300 former players to one Vinny Curry and Chad Pennington. At the end of the day though Mike needs to swallow a bit of ego and avoid articles like the one Landon wrote this morning.

It appears these players were "invited" to come back to be honored. I would have thought sideline passes for such an event would have been SOP. Not at Marshall I guess.

Reactions: herdfam and Elkview
I think this is terrible, but I don't see the days' failures belonging to Hamrick; other than he is the ultimate boss and hence cannot shed some responsibility. But if you asked me to give money to a program who's AD is doing the coordinating and hosting of 20 or more players every time we have an event I'd be very unlikely to donate. These things are "delegated" to others in all strong organizations, public, private or non-profit. Hamrick should have been told when he was needed, where he was needed, how long he'd be needed, and what he'd been expected to do for that day. Others should have been clearly accountable for ever moment those guys were in town. Any good planner would have given every attendee and agenda, including where they were invited at any given time, and of any seating arrangements for the game. Yes, the players should have know upon their arrival whether or not they'd be expected, or allowed, to stay on the field for viewing the game.

Like I said, Mike holds some accountablility, maybe even to fire the person who had accountability for this day. But I certainly don't blame MIke for the players not knowing where to be or when to be there. So he can rectify this all easily with me, and I'm hoping many others, by making a statement that the department failed those who came in for such a great day of recognition and that it will never happen like that again. He can say they've learned from trying to be only lightly coordinating the day and will error on the side of allowing visitors to opt in or out of a more rigorous agenda; including where to gather for introductions and game-watching.

Next thing I'd do if I were Mike is hire a director of contact for / with previous Athletes; and let that person go to work on making repetative, specifically targeted, communications with those who've been on athletic teams at MU over the last 60 or so years; let them opt in or out of communications just like we all do on every other internet effort.

About five years ago Marshall initiated the Vision Campaign. I donated $5,000. Got a form letter. Last year I did not increase 110%, but 200%. I got a form letter. Two years ago I gave a measly $1,000 to WVU. They reserved me a room at the Hampton Inn three days before the Baylor game, two 30 yard line tickets, reserved parking and admission to the Foundation Suite. The donation was chump change but they knew that it was a start and by cultivating it, there would be much more in the future. You want to know what separates WVU from Marshall.....this does.....

Last edited:
Geez whf2 the athletic department is already top-heavy with assistants and we need to hire another - in your opinion, just to handle events like honoring former players/teams? With a huge across the board reduction in state funds upon Marshall hiring anyone I believe is out of the question.
Hamrick has enough help. Perhaps he is just a poor manager!

Thanks to Cheap Shot Landon this is getting blown way out of proportion.

Anytime you host an event for 50 plus guests, you can't please everyone. Landon did a good job of cherry picking a few who were unhappy.

Regardless, I'm certain no one in The Big Green or Athletic Department is happy about this. Not just about the article but also that anyone was disappointed with their visit.

At a time when the program needs its fans, boosters, former players, etc most, Landon has chosen this as an opportunity to undermine the entire athletic department. I hope he's pleased with his self.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/spor...cle_9025bbea-8100-50e6-874c-63f3b3b07a87.html

Again , back to the main issue , it all starts at the top and goes from there , interesting ( not surprising) quotes from the AD who continues his program of alienation vs inclusion. It's like he tries to come up with ways to irritate any and all but then expects everyone to support the department without fail and or question.

Not exactly the way you want your alums to feel especially guys that were so instrumental in building the program into one that was for a time tremendously good at least until the point that BP left.
Honestly, Im not happy with the football program right not but from what I have always heard that Bob Pruett handed out field passes like bottles of water and since this was his 1996 team and Chuck has always been Bob's mega-phone this sounds to me like BP stirring the pot. Just saying

I donate my hard earned money to my University (academic and athletic donations) not because I wish to receive any trinket or any recognition. But because I wish to see it do well in athletics, and because I wish to see it continue to do the important and difficult job (which WVU abandoned generations ago) of serving this poor and backward state's youth though higher education and research.

That said, I did donate to the Vision campaign and have received various things, stickers, Christmas card and thank you note signed (theoretically, probably an intern) by Mike and Dan and Doc. Other stuff.

If the Spamies are really (I seriously doubt it) rubbing up to you that much for $1000, then I am very encouraged that they are in continued financial difficulty. Since what is bad for WVU is good for the people of WV and v-v, then this is GREAT NEWS.

Reactions: Galloway27
blown out of proportion?

868fc7c7b98c5c98277285665fb70265.jpg

Doug is one of Marshall's biggest cheerleaders. He always has something positive to say about MU when he is on the tube doing a game or ASN segment. What a shame!

Andy is dead on!

Reactions: Elkview
I am not approving what took place that day. I am not defending Hamrick. But as someone that has experience fundraising in college athletics and being in the trenches there is nothing more frustrating than constantly answering requests from former players who refuse to give a dime back to the program. The statistics on former student-athlete donations is atrocious. My gut tells me there is some bad blood between Mike and some of these guys due to that issue. And it's simply a difference of opinion. Mike is a former student-athlete that "gets it". Just cause you put on a jersey doesn't mean the school owes you until the day you die. You also received a free education and a degree (in most cases). Where do these athletes think the money came from? My message to them was always "help out the next guy". But many don't see it that way. The problem is there has to be common ground and you should never make them feel unwelcome. But I have no issue with making them feel a little uncomfortable when you know some of them are doing quite well and have not donated a dime back. There are 300 former players to one Vinny Curry and Chad Pennington. At the end of the day though Mike needs to swallow a bit of ego and avoid articles like the one Landon wrote this morning.

brando3213......I have always supported Mike H. because he has always been kind to me. He always takes time to ask how my health is (bad back, heart attack) and extends his hands in friendship. However, I CALLED two players to verify Chuck's article. Remember, I am a graduate from the same Page Pitt School of JRN & Mass Communications that Chuck graduated from. I have told Chuck face to face I do not agree with some of his articles. Chuck marches to his "own drum line" and it is his right to pen the articles he does for the HD. Correct me if I am wrong...I think Chuck has been banned from Doc's press conferences. If so---maybe more Gasoline for his Fire.

However, I talked to two players from the 1996 team...they told me the same story as Landon reported. I am shocked that any AD would seperate himself from any student, much less a Brother from the same M-Club. I tell folks all the time..."Once an athlete at Marshall---always an athlete for Marshall."

Marshall is facing a financial situation that we have not witnessed in years with budget cuts. No one in any position with Marshall should be "cutting off the hands that feeds them." Marshall needs all the money we can receive or.... beg for. Nothing More--Nothing Less!

I am ashamed of "some" at OUR UNIVERSITY. I learned a long time ago from a single Mom with a 10th grade education....No one cares how much you know---until
they know how much you Care."

The powers to be need to exhibit more CARING.

HerdZilla22 (Sweeney) in Charlotte

About five years ago Marshall had the I-forget-the-name-of-it greatness campaign. I donated $5,000. Got a form letter. Last year I did not increase 110%, but 200%. I got a form letter. Two years ago I gave a measly $1,000 to WVU. They reserved me a room at the Hampton Inn three days before the Baylor game, two 30 yard line tickets, reserved parking and admission to the Foundation Suite. The donation was chump change but they knew that it was a start and by cultivating it, there would be much more in the future. You want to know what separates WVU from Marshall.....this does.....

Pretty IMPRESSIVE on Big Time Football Program===WVU. Marshall can take "another lesson" from the Brass in Morgantown.

If you call, please ask for a statement from the AD prior to taking action. Chuck has been known to take liberty with the facts and (no offence) you do not identify your source. I'd simply like to hear both sides of the story prior to making a personal decision. Given the weight of this story, no communication from the AD will say a lot.

Paherd.....I do not need Mike's approval to call anyone, nor do I need to add the two players names. Do You? I have associations with many folks at Marshall. I don't ask for their approval either to call someone.

Gary Sweeney in Charlotte (HerdZilla22)

No one ever said the "story" wasn't true.......It's just a little one sided.

I'm not sure how many of you have worked in development but it's a very difficult job. You will never (NEVER) please everyone.

Could the Athletic Department have done some things differently? Absolutely.....And that is the case in every event anyone ever holds.

However.....this was a very nice event. Dinner, Social, Tailgate Party, Tickets, On Field Recognition, etc.......

The 2 biggest complaints in the article can easily be explained.....Again, could it have been handled differently, sure. But decisions were made in the planning of the event and they tried to stick to them.

1) Sideline Passes- This event hosted 50+ attendees. A decision was made to not provide Field Passes to the group. If you don't provide them to all, how can you provide them to a few? This is consistent with on field recognition procedures.

2) Tailgate Party- This was a catered pregame event. People were paid the put on this event beginning a few hours before the game and ending at kick-off. Should Marshall have paid to keep the event open during entire game just in case a few people skipped the game?

I'm sure the field pass issue could have been handled differently but it's a tough precedent to set for all future recognition events. I can tell you that on an individual basis, if a former player has a relationship with Marshall or is interested in reconnecting with the University, they have no problem getting a few perks from the athletic department. Not a game goes by that I haven't seen former players on the sidelines.

If these individual players felt slighted, I can guarantee that if they had gone to the source, their concerns would have been heard. Not one player in the article mentioned contacting The Big Green or Athletic Department to voice their concerns. Instead they decided to whine to Landon.......But hey, that's the world we live in now.....Feel slighted, hit people on FaceBook, Twitter, or the comment section of the newspaper.

blown out of proportion?

868fc7c7b98c5c98277285665fb70265.jpg

I have met Doug on some occasions since he departed Marshall. Class Guy. Sadly, he was compelled to post this to prove how former athletes can be treated. I could add more...But I will regress to protect the innocent.

Last edited:
That is no good, but a lot of it also sounds like spoiled brats.

Spoiled brats?! Beckett played in the NFL and was living out in CA last time I knew. I seriously don't many of these other dudes went on to illustrious careers and aren't used to the high life so they have nothing to be spoiled about. I don't think those guys were asking for unfettered access to the Thunder Dog supply, but they darn well could've had sideline passes or hell put them in a sky box the rest of the game. The fact MU carted them out there then basically hustled them off is f'n disgraceful.

I have met Doug on some occasions since he departed Marshall. Class Guy. Sadly, he was foreced to post this to prove how former athletes can be treated. I could add more...But I will regress to protect the innocent.

You're full of sh!t

We get it you've donated money and got jerked off by wvu and enjoyed it

Evidently more players are speaking out via private messages on Facebook and texts.
I am sure MU meant well but man, they messed this up. Jmo

Doug is one of Marshall's biggest cheerleaders. He always has something positive to say about MU when he is on the tube doing a game or ASN segment. What a shame!

Andy is dead on!
We need check writers more than cheerleaders. And really? He is going to encourage folks to cut support? Cause they wanted to tailgate longer? Cause we messed up and should have planned for them to be on sideline? Jesus.

Reactions: herd4life5 (HN)
Marshall "Half-Ass" University. There has only been two times, in my 40 plus years of support of Marshall, that they did an event first class. The Movie premier and the tribute to the D'Antoni/ 1970s BB Team and jersey retirement. Can you name others?

Not Sorry, MU messed it up slightly. These guys are crying though. Couldn't care any less about this

Plus, Doug is a MU cheerleader on TV; having spoken with him on multiple occasions, his opinion does not matter to me.

Paherd.....I do not need Mike's approval to call anyone, nor do I need to add the two players names. Do You? I have associations with many folks at Marshall. I don't ask for their approval either to call someone.

Gary Sweeney in Charlotte (HerdZilla22)

I only asked that IF you called (per your post) to ask the AD for a statement (about the article), not premission. My other point is that Chuck at least named his sources. So I've made a request and a statement of fact. What you do is up to you.

No one ever said the "story" wasn't true.......It's just a little one sided.

I'm not sure how many of you have worked in development but it's a very difficult job. You will never (NEVER) please everyone.

Could the Athletic Department have done some things differently? Absolutely.....And that is the case in every event anyone ever holds.

However.....this was a very nice event. Dinner, Social, Tailgate Party, Tickets, On Field Recognition, etc.......

The 2 biggest complaints in the article can easily be explained.....Again, could it have been handled differently, sure. But decisions were made in the planning of the event and they tried to stick to them.

1) Sideline Passes- This event hosted 50+ attendees. A decision was made to not provide Field Passes to the group. If you don't provide them to all, how can you provide them to a few? This is consistent with on field recognition procedures.

2) Tailgate Party- This was a catered pregame event. People were paid the put on this event beginning a few hours before the game and ending at kick-off. Should Marshall have paid to keep the event open during entire game just in case a few people skipped the game?

I'm sure the field pass issue could have been handled differently but it's a tough precedent to set for all future recognition events. I can tell you that on an individual basis, if a former player has a relationship with Marshall or is interested in reconnecting with the University, they have no problem getting a few perks from the athletic department. Not a game goes by that I haven't seen former players on the sidelines.

If these individual players felt slighted, I can guarantee that if they had gone to the source, their concerns would have been heard. Not one player in the article mentioned contacting The Big Green or Athletic Department to voice their concerns. Instead they decided to whine to Landon.......But hey, that's the world we live in now.....Feel slighted, hit people on FaceBook, Twitter, or the comment section of the newspaper.

Oh horse shi*. This wasn't the Presidential Inauguration or even a large convention.

It was honoring a great legendary team. It is not that hard to take care of 25 or 50 people. It wasn't like it was 3,000.

Plus, if they felt dissatisfied then listen to them and make amends the best you can. Don't come across as a smart ass and stop being cheap.

They should have had tickets in the damn press box or some nice chairbacks and the tailgate should have been open the entire time. Again, not that damn hard.

I went to an Auburn game one time and Cam Newton and Bo Jackson were on the sideline. And, some other of their players. Auburn was taking care of them. Marshall should do that with our legends as well.

MU screwed up. Plain and simple. Not liking the meatballs is one thing. Being cheap, rude, and a smart ass is another.

As for assessing any "blame" for this incident or the other woes in MU athletics currently, I think that currently President Gilbert needs to be given a "pass". As Zilla has pointed out, MU is in a drastic financial situation, perhaps the worse in its existence since becoming a University.

Continuing budget cuts and declining state support have become a "norm". School is probably raising more private monies than any time in its history, but unfortunately because of aforementioned cuts, is having to use such funds more for CURRENT EXPENSES instead of building up its endowment, funding ongoing and increased numbers of scholarships, increasing funding for ongoing research, and, perhaps, significantly ramping up funding for STUDENT RECRUITMENT!!!

With these kinds of problems in the University as a whole, the President has plenty on his plate to deal with, instead of "issues" in the athletic department that RIGHTLY need to be forcefully dealt with and RESOLVED by the Athletics Director, WHO IS PAID TO DO SO!!!

Not to troll........but I imagine every CUSA coach is busy printing off copies of Landon's article so they can show it to potential recruits who are also considering Marshall. Hamrick is doing more harm than good. He's already thrown the fanbase under the bus and now he's asking some Marshall greats from the past "What else do you want?" as they are led out of the stadium during a game that the were invited to in order to honor them.

Reactions: Elkview
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT