ADVERTISEMENT

legs late

houston_herd_fan

Silver Buffalo
Mar 5, 2007
This game more than any other shows that a deeper bench -- 2 more players effective off the bench would give a couple more wins. Prolly would have beat UAB both times.

Taylor missed four shots AT the rim; Burks missed a lay-up; Thompson missed a lay-up. 14 points right there.

Taylor missed four shots AT the rim; Burks missed a lay-up; Thompson missed a lay-up. 14 points right there.

Inside depth is the problem. In all candor, don't really expect that any of our foreign "bigs" are going to be able to contribute significantly against this caliber of opponent, or the better teams on our schedule, absent some kind of miraculous improvement or transformation next season. Not nearly strong or quick enough to play tough inside teams like UAB. Hopefully, one of the two early signees will be able to help Taylor and Thompson on the interior next season.

I know we can say we shot poorly from the three (we did) and we missed a ton of baskets around the rim (we did), but there's a reason for that. UAB's quickness on the perimeter allowed them to quickly close the gap outside causing our guards to hurry their shots which likely contributed to our low shooting percentage. And around the rim the athletic (and numerous) UAB players that block shots and get to the rim so quickly is the likely the reason we didn't finish many of the shots underneath. You have to credit UAB for much of that.

But when push comes to shove, we had UAB on their home floor in front of an energized fan base who were up for the game and still only won by a few. Make one more three pointer, convert one more bunny underneath, or take away their errant lob pass that went in for three points late in the game and we still win. I tell you this, UAB will be rooting for our upset in the tourney and for good reason.

Reactions: HerditAllBefore
Overall I think things looked pretty good.
. We got a total of 2 points from Kelly and Loop the last 30 minutes. We were still right there at the end. Our second-half defense was much better, however our rebounding was poor. They will have a hard time beating us 3 times in 1 year!

I know we can say we shot poorly from the three (we did) and we missed a ton of baskets around the rim (we did), but there's a reason for that. UAB's quickness on the perimeter allowed them to quickly close the gap outside causing our guards to hurry their shots which likely contributed to our low shooting percentage. And around the rim the athletic (and numerous) UAB players that block shots and get to the rim so quickly is the likely the reason we didn't finish many of the shots underneath. You have to credit UAB for much of that.

But when push comes to shove, we had UAB on their home floor in front of an energized fan base who were up for the game and still only won by a few. Make one more three pointer, convert one more bunny underneath, or take away their errant lob pass that went in for three points late in the game and we still win. I tell you this, UAB will be rooting for our upset in the tourney and for good reason.

UAB has "depth" as well... They can keep running bigs at us and we cant match them foul to give to foul...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT