ADVERTISEMENT

Lies my Teacher Told Me

Come now. It was a contributing factor but not THE cause. Indentured servitude of whites pre-dated slavery in the U.S., including the North. The indentured servitude of the Chinese during the 1850's was meant to be a "compromise". Slavery in the U.S. was on borrowed time during the 1860's for a variety of reasons. Remember, you said it has to be addressed honestly..

Did you mean to exclude Native Americans in your list of who whites had exploited? I thought you were inclusionary...

BTW slavery was, and remains prevalent in Africa today. Weren't the slaves sold to the slave traders exploited by other blacks as well?

The civil war was fought, 100% because the South believed the North would ban slavery. That’s a historical fact. That’s why the south said they were seceding and it’s why they did.

Reactions: GK4Herd
The Civil War WAS NOT about slavery. The succession by the southern states was about slavery. And yes, that’s a huge difference. The United States did not go to war with the south over slavery. They went to war to preserve the integrity of the country as a whole. The north was more advanced and developed, but would have had a hard time surviving without the agricultural economy established in the south.

saying the north fought primarily to free the slaves is just white guilt masking the fact the war was about economic factors for the north, not some moral imperative.
That may be the dumbest ****ing thing I’ve ever read that wasn’t posted by EG. Seceding was an act of war and the South knew it considering they shot first. They seceded due to slavery. Slavery was the cause of the war.

If your argument is the South was dumb and didn’t realize the North wasn’t actually going to abolish slavery then maybe I’ll buy your “the South was dumb” argument. Is that what you’re trying to say?

That may be the dumbest ****ing thing I’ve ever read that wasn’t posted by EG. Seceding was an act of war and the South knew it considering they shot first. They seceded due to slavery. Slavery was the cause of the war.

If your argument is the South was dumb and didn’t realize the North wasn’t actually going to abolish slavery then maybe I’ll buy your “the South was dumb” argument. Is that what you’re trying to say?
You need to read the entire history leading up to the war. You are making an emotional response. There was more to it that just slavery.

Reactions: greengeezer
Seceding was an act of war and the South knew it considering they shot first.

Just because you want it to be true doesn't mean it is true.

Please explain, or cite credible references, that secession is an "act of war".

At the time there was no precedence to a state's act of secession and the US Constitution was silent on it. At best it was constitutional. At worst it was unconstitutional. Secession in and of itself is not an act of war. Several states peacefully seceded in the months leading up to the attack on Fort Sumter. That is historically agreed to be the start of the War Between the States.

In Lincoln’s inaugural address he said that he would use force to “maintain possession of Federal land”. He didn’t say he would use force to end slavery and said more than once he would forego the eradication of slavery to preserve the Union.

what I said is only stupid to those that don’t know history or those that want to believe the war was moral and not based on economics.

Reactions: KyMUfan
In Lincoln’s inaugural address he said that he would use force to “maintain possession of Federal land”. He didn’t say he would use force to end slavery and said more than once he would forego the eradication of slavery to preserve the Union.

what I said is only stupid to those that don’t know history or those that want to believe the war was moral and not based on economics.

Exactly. Had slavery been economically viable to the North it would have been a non-issue anyway. The slavery issue was thus largely about economics and a power play for the North but there was a growing sentiment against it, fueled in large part by Christians of the day. That coupled with the looming technological changes and I truly believe slavery was living on borrowed time anyway.

The average southerner fought for his homeland and not necessarily to.preserve slavery as the South fought a defensive war. For the average northerner it was fought because 1. They couldn't get out of the service or 2. They were drafted because there wasn't widespread support for the war in the North. See these two Acts.

The enrollment act was the first national conscription process. Not only did it provide for a draft, it also extended those currently serving from 12 months to 36 months.

And as I previously posted wars are started by the wealthy but fought by the poor, there was the substitution clause which lead to this...

Yeah…it’s crazy town. Churchill said the victors write history. Now the losers are trying to rewrite it.

Botton line…this war would never had been fought if not for the issue of slavery.

Reactions: Chevy1
The civil war was a war forced by the banks in the north (NY), desiring control over the banks and commodity traders in the south.

The south was attempting to create it own trade deals with Europe and completely cut out the north. There is evidence that Britain was in favor of this as they had a strained relationship with many of the financiers in NY.

Was the war caused by “Slavery” and the right to have “slaves”?? I guess if you want to boil it down to just 1 reason for the masses to rally behind. But let’s not pretend that it was a war created for the same reason every other war has been fought….finances and the control over valuable commodities.

Reactions: KyMUfan
Now the losers are trying to rewrite it.

There were no winners in that war.

Botton line…this war would never had been fought if not for the issue of slavery.

But it wasn't THE cause which started this entire chain. The war began, lke virtually all wars, over economic issues of which slavery was arguably THE largest component. The "winners" in this instance have turned it into a great morality play which it wasn't at the outbreak of it. That IS one of the lies the teacher told you.

Northerners did not line up in droves for the "great and glorious" cause of ridding the land of the blight of slavery. They had to be forced to fight for the Union through conscription, which gave rise to a violent and deadly race riot in NYC.

The New York City draft riots (July 13–16, 1863), sometimes referred to as the Manhattan draft riots and known at the time as Draft Week,[3] were violent disturbances in Lower Manhattan, widely regarded as the culmination of white working-class discontent with new laws passed by Congress that year to draft men to fight in the ongoing American Civil War. The riots remain the largest civil and most racially charged urban disturbance in American history.[4]"

But hey, if that's what it takes to assuage your guilt and make it easier for you to wear apparel made by slave labor then I guess that is on you...

The south was attempting to create it own trade deals with Europe and completely cut out the north. There is evidence that Britain was in favor of this as they had a strained relationship with many of the financiers in NY.

Exactly and the Morrill Tariff of 1861 was the tinder to the powderkeg that had been growing for some time. That powderkeg included a variety of issues: North vs. South, industry vs. agriculture, unfair tariffs, secession and certainly not the least slavery.

I am passionate about this as we do need to learn from history, warts and all, and not dismiss or gloss over it.

We seem to be living in a time where our country is as divided as not seen since 1860. I have heard people compare abortion to slavery. We now seem to be at a defining point in that debate. Could that be the tinder to another powderkeg?

All the while China is displaying aggression to Taiwan while Russia is doing the same to Ukraine...

Wake_Up_America_708x1192_trans-1.png

Yeah…it’s crazy town. Churchill said the victors write history. Now the losers are trying to rewrite it.

Don't think anybody us trying to rewrite anything. The left is fixated on it and a lot of that is recently.

That is the problem with history taught in schools. Anyone reading this thread probably gets a more rounded view of the causes of the Civil War than what they would find in most high school history texts.

What I remember from high school about the Civil War.
1. The people in the North all lived like the people in The Gangs of New York.
The people in the South all lived like the people in Gone With the Wind.
3. Both sides argued over slavery and States’ rights.
4. Somebody fired at a fort off the coast of South Carolina and it was on.
5. Lots of maps and charts with a bunch of arrows appeared that showed where Americans were killing each other.
6. The South got as far north as Gettysburg, shot their wad, and lost.
7. Lincoln freed the slaves.
8. The South surrendered and became Democrats.
9. Lincoln was shot.
10. American history became very boring for the next 40 years.

That is the problem with history taught in schools. Anyone reading this thread probably gets a more rounded view of the causes of the Civil War than what they would find in most high school history texts.
That is because those of us doing are not tied or brainwashed by the left. The schools are ran by left wing zealots.

Reactions: greengeezer
Who knows. If there were another simplified emotionally driven issue to fire up the plebeians of the time and to disguise what the war really was about (north vs south banking and trade independence) maybe.

Did anyone one else notice the familiarity of how this thread evolved?

1. It began with a liberal promising something new. In this instance a different look at the conventional wisdom we have been taught in school.
2. But then you realize they are simply repackaging that conventional wisdom and repeating it.
3. When challenged on that conventional wisdom and their continued support for it by being presented with alternate facts and information, they play the race card.
4. And then when further challenged they begin the name-calling.
5. And then they go silent.

And the beat goes on...

Did anyone one else notice the familiarity of how this thread evolved?

1. It began with a liberal promising something new. In this instance a different look at the conventional wisdom we have been taught in school.
2. But then you realize they are simply repackaging that conventional wisdom and repeating it.
3. When challenged on that conventional wisdom and their continued support for it by being presented with alternate facts and information, they play the race card.
4. And then when further challenged they begin the name-calling.
5. And then they go silent.

And the beat goes on...
It's what they do

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT