ADVERTISEMENT

Marshall baseball

RhinoD

Gold Buffalo
Mar 7, 2007
I was one of a handful of Herd fans at WCU today... a few observations...

1. Our kids play their asses off. Hustle as a team is always a good reflection on the coaching staff.

2. MU can really rake... won the game 12-8 and racked up 23 hits.

3. #16, our catcher whose name escapes me, is excellent both offensively and defensively. The pitching was rocky and he didnt let one by over the last 7 innings.

4. The team is still figuring out arms. We threw about 6 guys with varying levels of success. Its early, so hopefully it shakes out.

5. There is absolutely no reason we cant have an on campus stadium as nice or nicer than WCU. Its time to get that done.

Overall, always good to see a Herd win and the team looks like they are going to be exciting to watch offensively.

It’s disheartening looking at some of the Sun Belt and Southland (FCS in football) baseball stadiums and realizing how better their own facilities are than Marshall’s. The atmosphere at some of these places is great.

Last edited:
Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
I agree... although not much atmosphere today. Games were supposed to be two 7 inning games, but it rained until about 2:15 here so they played one cold, wet 9 inning game at 4 p.m.

WCUs stadium is nice, not huge or extravagant, but nice. Certainly we can and should have something every bit the equal of their facility.

It’s WCU’s spring break right now. That will crush any type of atmosphere, not to mention cold weather and a team that is 1-11.

But..but... our kids love playing in Power Park and they work so well with us.

It’s WCU’s spring break right now. That will crush any type of atmosphere, not to mention cold weather and a team that is 1-11.

It's too bad what has happened to WCU baseball... When I moved down here (I live about 20 miles from Cullowhee) the baseball program at WCU was on the rise. That was not that long ago in 2013. WCU won the So. Con in 2016 and made the regional, and in two years they have gone downhill fast.

It's too bad what has happened to WCU baseball... When I moved down here (I live about 20 miles from Cullowhee) the baseball program at WCU was on the rise. That was not that long ago in 2013. WCU won the So. Con in 2016 and made the regional, and in two years they have gone downhill fast.

Sounds like they changed coaching staffs.

Sounds like they changed coaching staffs.

Thats the surprising thing, they havent. Bobby Moranda has been there for 12 years now... I guess in baseball if you have a year or two where you really miss on recruits, especially pitchers, you kind of get what you get as far as wins and losses.

Reactions: GreenDuke
It’s disheartening looking at some of the Sun Belt and Southland (FCS in football) baseball stadiums and realizing how better their own facilities are than Marshall’s. The atmosphere at some of these places is great.

Ryan...I know you played catcher baseball at Marshall....I think you may have played for Coach Pinkerton or Coach McCann or maybe Jeff Waggoner [Waggs] during his first year? I doubt you played for Coach Jack Cook? I love the Legend, Coach Cook... and the last time I saw him was about 10 years ago when Coach Waggs invited me back to play in the Alumni-Varsity game "down by the river." Waggs suggested I ask Coach Cook about his tomato garden. About 1 1/2 hours later Coach Cook was still talking to us about his tomato plants. He was quite entertaining. Rick Reed & Jeff Montgomery are probably the most famous guys that played for Coach Cook. The idea of a baseball stadium has been talked about for over 50 + years...or more!

Where am I going with this story.
I got to know Waggs quite well and I started trying to raise $$$$ for a new baseball stadium on or near campus. As you well know--- a new baseball stadium for Marshall has been discussed before/since my days at Marshall (graduated in 1969---attended Grad School in 1970). It is sad that our baseball program is relegated to the fact that our players have to travel 45 minutes to play CUSA opponents in Charleston. "The River" field hosts many OOC teams. In fact, I got to know Dr. Kopp because of my efforts to help raise $$$ for Marshall baseball stadium. He said to me..."Sweeney show my the land & the money....and I will make it happen." His untimely death put that pledge on hold. Mike Hamrick, whom I respect a lot.......told both me & Coach Waggs....."Waggs, you coach baseball, I will get the stadium built."

Well, Mike....we are still waiting for the baseball field to be be built near campus.

HerdZilla22 (Sweeney) in Charlotte

Last edited:
Reactions: chuck1069
Ryan...I know you played catcher baseball at Marshall....I think you may have played for Coach Pinkerton or Coach McCann or maybe Jeff Waggoner [Waggs] during his first year? I doubt you played for Coach Jack Cook? I love the Legend, Coach Cook... and the last time I saw him was about 10 years ago when Coach Waggs invited me back to play in the Alumni-Varsity game "down by the river." Waggs suggested I ask Coach Cook about his tomato garden. About 1 1/2 hours later Coach Cook was still talking to us about his tomato plants. He was quite entertaining. Rick Reed & Jeff Montgomery are probably the most famous guys that played for Coach Cook. The idea of a baseball stadium has been talked about for over 50 + years...or more!

Where am I going with this story.
I got to know Waggs quite well and I started trying to raise $$$$ for a new baseball stadium on or near campus. As you well know--- a new baseball stadium for Marshall has been discussed before/since my days at Marshall (graduated in 1969---attended Grad School in 1970). It is sad that our baseball program is relegated to the fact that our players have to travel 45 minutes to play CUSA opponents in Charleston. "The River" field hosts many OOC teams. In fact, I got to know Dr. Kopp because of my efforts to help raise $$$ for Marshall baseball stadium. He said to me..."Sweeney show my the land & the money....and I will make it happen." His untimely death put that pledge on hold. Mike Hamrick, whom I respect a lot.......told both me & Coach Waggs....."Waggs, you coach baseball, I will get the stadium built."

Well, Mike....we are still waiting for the baseball field to be be built near campus.

HerdZilla22 (Sweeney) in Charlotte
Look, Waggs can coach. Flat Out! He will leave at some point if we don't commit. He is putting more guys in the pros the WVU right now

Why do you post entirely false information?
Well, then Waggs is not telling the truth, because he spoke at a local high school last year and he said Marshall had more guys in the pros then WVU. btw, I don't think WVU has many guys in the pros and the ones they do have are left over from Van Zant.

Well, then Waggs is not telling the truth, because he spoke at a local high school last year and he said Marshall had more guys in the pros then WVU.

What you originally claimed and what you said Waggs stated are two different things.

You claimed he is putting more guys in professional baseball than wvu. That isn't true. You are now saying that Waggs said Marshall has more guys in the pros than wvu. That may be true, but it doesn't mean the same thing as the first claim.

If wvu has had 20 guys get drafted and/or sign and Marshall has only had 10, that means wvu is putting in more guys than Marshall (showing your original claim to be false). But if only 2 of wvu's 20 are still playing and 3 of Marshall's 10 are still playing, then Waggs' statement is true (which is why they are entirely different things).

the ones they do have are left over from Van Zant.

Again, why do you say things that aren't true? Mazzey has been at wvu for 5 years. During that time, wvu has had 16 MLB draft picks. Of those 16, 11 are still active playing professional baseball.

During the last 5 years, Marshall has had 6 players drafted (compared with 16 for wvu). All 6 are still playing professional baseball (compared with 11 for wvu since Mazzey took over).

Now, Waggs may have said Marshall has more guys on big league rosters (which is different than just MLB or professional baseball), which would be true. It is 2 or 3 for Marshall (depending on where each guy gets assigned this year) and 1 (possibly 2) for wvu. But that isn't what you said.

In total, over the years, the number of pro players is probably close to even. I think it was in 2011 or 2012 MU had something like 10 players drafted or signed to minor league contracts after that season.

What you originally claimed and what you said Waggs stated are two different things.

You claimed he is putting more guys in professional baseball than wvu. That isn't true. You are now saying that Waggs said Marshall has more guys in the pros than wvu. That may be true, but it doesn't mean the same thing as the first claim.

If wvu has had 20 guys get drafted and/or sign and Marshall has only had 10, that means wvu is putting in more guys than Marshall (showing your original claim to be false). But if only 2 of wvu's 20 are still playing and 3 of Marshall's 10 are still playing, then Waggs' statement is true (which is why they are entirely different things).

Again, why do you say things that aren't true? Mazzey has been at wvu for 5 years. During that time, wvu has had 16 MLB draft picks. Of those 16, 11 are still active playing professional baseball.

During the last 5 years, Marshall has had 6 players drafted (compared with 16 for wvu). All 6 are still playing professional baseball (compared with 11 for wvu since Mazzey took over).

Now, Waggs may have said Marshall has more guys on big league rosters (which is different than just MLB or professional baseball), which would be true. It is 2 or 3 for Marshall (depending on where each guy gets assigned this year) and 1 (possibly 2) for wvu. But that isn't what you said.

Im just telling you I heard Waggs speak and he said MU had more pro players then WVU. So go take it up with Waggs if you have such a problem.

Did you play for Piepenbrink?

In total, over the years, the number of pro players is probably close to even. I think it was in 2011 or 2012 MU had something like 10 players drafted or signed to minor league contracts after that season.

Even going back to when?

Im just telling you I heard Waggs speak and he said MU had more pro players then WVU. So go take it up with Waggs if you have such a problem.

Did you play for Piepenbrink?

My problem isn't with Waggs. Based on your inability to use proper grammar and inability to form a consistent discussion, I am more apt to believe you don't know what you actually heard and can't understand exactly what he was talking about.

Regardless of what you claim he said is actually what he said, it's incorrect. He isn't on here posting false information; you are. That is on you, not him.

Back to topic, Herd baseball, MU won again today against Niagara. DH scheduled tomorrow; hope they aren't snowed out!!!!!

Reactions: Elkview
Even going back to when?

My problem isn't with Waggs. Based on your inability to use proper grammar and inability to form a consistent discussion, I am more apt to believe you don't know what you actually heard and can't understand exactly what he was talking about.

Regardless of what you claim he said is actually what he said, it's incorrect. He isn't on here posting false information; you are. That is on you, not him.
How do you know its incorrect? I heard him at the Jefferson High end of the year dinner two years ago when he was recruiting Paul Witt. He gave an awesome talk, and he was trying to set Marshall baseball apart form WVU and it worked because everyone was impressed. So, if your a true supporter of Marshall baseball you should be happy he is out making quality contact with the public and discussing the advantages of Marshall over baseball.

Who did you play for again? Piepenbrink? Ill have him if he knows you the next time I see him. Ill see him at Musselman games this year.

How do you know its incorrect?

How do you know 1+1 doesn't equal 3?

Is your question serious? How do I know Marshall/Waggs isn't putting more guys in professional baseball right now? Think about it: what would be an easy way to see if wvu or Marshall is putting more guys in professional baseball.

One amazingly sensible way to look is to see how many from each school have gone on to play professional baseball. During Waggs' tenure, wvu has had the same exact number of guys drafted as wvu. During Mazzey's tenure at wvu, he has put far more players in professional baseball than Marshall has.

Now, if the claim is "Marshall has more current players on Big League 40-man rosters," then you may have an argument. But that isn't what you originally claimed and isn't what you said Waggs said.

That's not a knock on Waggs or Marshall baseball. wvu has far better facilities and is in a far better conference. Marshall shouldn't expect to compete with them in that area every year. It doesn't change the fact that Marshall is not putting more guys in professional baseball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT