ADVERTISEMENT

Marshall marketing

herdfan429

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 4, 2007
Maybe this is why Marshall’s marketing dept sucks

“Come join our Herd family! We have multiple paid part-time positions (housing opportunities available) open in our marketing department! For inquires please email herdmarketing@marshall.edu. “

#RiseAsOne x #HerdFamily

• Haha
Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
You say they don't do enough, they try to hire people to help them, and you bust on them. I suppose you've got all the answers, why not just send those to them?

They're looking for several part time people to do necessary work, offering them pay and perhaps living assistance ON A COLLEGE CAMPUS; yep, sound stupid and ridiculous to me too. Sarcasm here.

I - for one - am thrilled to see the marketing department reaching out for new people. Hopefully, this advertisement is being widely distributed. Also hope they get plenty of interest and hire some real motivated people.

oxymoron
[ˌäksəˈmôrˌän]

NOUN
  1. a figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction (e.g. faith unfaithful kept him falsely true). ex. Marshall University Department of Marketing and Branding.

Sounds like they are reaching out to students and offering some hours and housing discounts in exchange for campus and community outreach.

sounds like a good idea.

Anything helps. Marshall needs to invest heavily in two things - marketing/PR and student recruitment. Both are vital for growth - of the fan base and donors; and enrollment. Skimp on either and we are spinning our wheels - going nowhere.

Last edited:
I have no idea what this job is. Probably cold calling potential and lapsed BG members or advertisers.

Its a job. People want jobs. By next year, a lot of people are going to need jobs very badly. It looks like an internship, which can get a person in the club for sports marketing or general fundraising, which is a good skill to have.

Marshall, both the academic side and the athletic side (this clearly says its an athletics job) markets pretty well. Although I am at a loss to explain why a post here, or on Facebook of “what channel is the game on in Wayne sudden link?” Is a thing.

Some people just want to complain.

Brad Smith should be helpful in the marketing of the University. His vast experience in big business will bring new perspective and innovation to a number of school functions. Look forward to watching him move MU forward.

Marshall going for the cheapest means possible to staff up their marketing dept.
That's an unjust assumption. Are we to assume based on that posting that the marketing depart is filling any and all jobs with the cheapest means necessary or is this a job posting because they have entry level positions open? Not every position in the marketing depart is a high end position.

Not sure how you can take what they posted as a negative. This doesn't look any different than any other job posting I've ever seen from anywhere else.

That's an unjust assumption. Are we to assume based on that posting that the marketing depart is filling any and all jobs with the cheapest means necessary or is this a job posting because they have entry level positions open? Not every position in the marketing depart is a high end position.

Not sure how you can take what they posted as a negative. This doesn't look any different than any other job posting I've ever seen from anywhere else.
The fact that I’ve never known Marshall to “market” anything makes it a just assumption. It’s almost like you’ve never been on these boards and read streams of complaints and suggestions on what Marshall could do to “market itself”.

with that said….I’ll take it. Even if it is a telemarketer calling me to ask for a donation. This would even be a step forward in making some $$$$

Last edited:
I have no idea what this job is. Probably cold calling potential and lapsed BG members or advertisers.

Its a job. People want jobs. By next year, a lot of people are going to need jobs very badly. It looks like an internship, which can get a person in the club for sports marketing or general fundraising, which is a good skill to have.

Marshall, both the academic side and the athletic side (this clearly says its an athletics job) markets pretty well. Although I am at a loss to explain why a post here, or on Facebook of “what channel is the game on in Wayne sudden link?” Is a thing.

Some people just want to complain.
why are people going to need jobs very badly by next year?

Marshall is looking to fill these jobs and offer housing assistance for a part time job. It’s the cheap option. Which is what Marshall marketing is known for. If it’s for students only then say that but to post it all over social media like it’s a legit job isn’t a good look

As a Big Green member I always receive communication about whats going on and when my fees are due. Im always confused when I hear people complain about the BG not contacting them. My guess is the people who are not being contacted are not donors and/or non alumni?

As a Big Green member I always receive communication about whats going on and when my fees are due. Im always confused when I hear people complain about the BG not contacting them. My guess is the people who are not being contacted are not donors and/or non alumni?
I get all the emails as well. Ryan Crisp does a great job. I think the issue is, the perceived lack of urgency with the BG in bringing in new members. We've been stuck on the 3K mark or so for years, if not the last decade. Marshall has more than 100K grads. Why do so few donate? Do they not think it's worthwhile? Do they not feel connected? Do they think it takes big bucks to donate? On the surface it seems there is and has been a major miscommunication between the BG and alumni/fans. We gotta get that fixed. jmho

AS for the Big Green check about and you will find many Big Green members left because of changes the athletic department to alumni and many because of the not firing Holiday. I was one of these and after the first year no one person contacted me and I live in Cabell County. I worked with a printing company and brought our national marketing director in and meet with our director and it was a waste of time. We did at the time national mailing for other universities and found at that time their current mailing list was 10 years old and that was back in 2005.
We provided several marketing ideas and it went no where and I believe that was when we were winning.
I don't who the alumni chairman is just for the tri-state area is but ask them when how many people they contacted in this area last year and I believe everyone would be surprise. It's time for a change and new leadership.

I don't know what marketing strategy Marshall's used, but I have no problem with it. I recently opened my business, but it quickly became popular regionally, and I became cramped within that framework. I needed to expand, and you can't do that without a quality marketing department and marketing company. I understood that very well. But I decided to risk and bet on the guys from seo companies. They promote the customer's site in search engines and similar sites to the very top. I have not lost. The ranking of my company on the stock exchange increased at times.

Last edited:
Marshall needs to sell there name and likeness just like WVU put it on everything and sell your name everywhere not just in a 5 or 10 mile range.

Reactions: MUMAN3419
Prime example. During the equipment sale, Marshall had multiple tables for checking out with your items; and also had one table to check out for buying BG items. They had BG flyers/pamphlets at the BG table but none at any of the other tables - I made a point to look. I would have given a pamphlet to everyone checking out. And possibly asked each person checking out if they would like to sign up for the BG and give an initial $10 dollar donation to start. Then follow that up with the BG letter, and auto draft donation form.

Its like the BG lives in a fishbowl.

Exactly. Winning Championships is the best marketing tool a school can have.
So, we should save our dollars and effort and not do a thing to promote the team, and games in an effort to get fans to attend or build the donor base?

I continually here on this site Big Green members get information, but what about the thousand that are not being approached. I was a member for several years, but quit contributing during Doc’s coaching period. Even though I asked for information after Huff’s hiring And never heard back. I have season tickets in basketball and attend football games as many times as I can and watch the director at all ballgames and he visits the same people every game and no one else. This makes he only has interest in them and no one else. I could go on ,but for our new AD toget the word, it is time for a change in the Big Green and get a strong mailing out to people in the Tri state and Southern part of the state to come back to the program in donations.

I continually here on this site Big Green members get information, but what about the thousand that are not being approached. I was a member for several years, but quit contributing during Doc’s coaching period. Even though I asked for information after Huff’s hiring And never heard back. I have season tickets in basketball and attend football games as many times as I can and watch the director at all ballgames and he visits the same people every game and no one else. This makes he only has interest in them and no one else. I could go on ,but for our new AD toget the word, it is time for a change in the Big Green and get a strong mailing out to people in the Tri state and Southern part of the state to come back to the program in donations.

So you quit over a coach, and likely not even stating your reasoning, you just stopped giving...over "the course of Doc's coaching period" which one would presume several years.

....and you want MU to remember you and take the effort to reach out to you after that?

How dare you say anything bad about the BG. Don't you know you're a part of the problem and should seek them out? Email, call, send smoke signals. They shouldn't have to do anything to get your donation. And by God, if you aren't getting emails or on Twitter, then damn you, we don't need your type around here. Hell, you must still read the HD in hard copy. Old geezer.

Sarcasm off.

You can usually contact the BG director at MU Cafe, in the bar area.

How dare you say anything bad about the BG. Don't you know you're a part of the problem and should seek them out? Email, call, send smoke signals. They shouldn't have to do anything to get your donation. And by God, if you aren't getting emails or on Twitter, then damn you, we don't need your type around here. Hell, you must still read the HD in hard copy. Old geezer.

Sarcasm off.

Yep all they need to do is call or email our generous fans and the money pours in. Complete foolishness

So you quit over a coach, and likely not even stating your reasoning, you just stopped giving...over "the course of Doc's coaching period" which one would presume several years.

....and you want MU to remember you and take the effort to reach out to you after that?
It seems this is necessary to obtain the attention of the school. And even then, they were stubbornly slow to act.

Low hanging fruit for revenue increases if you ask me. What better time to hit up all past and present members for more cash?

Sarcasm off.

To my knowledge, the Director of the Big Green Scholarship Foundation does not imbibe.

Mr Spears needs not to pal around with them as he is being seen in public with the “Big Green” leadership as if nothing is wrong. Clean house and start over with new leadership.

Mr Spears needs not to pal around with them as he is being seen in public with the “Big Green” leadership as if nothing is wrong. Clean house and start over with new leadership.
I hope Mr. Spear will help BG staff to establish goals and develop strategies for achieving them. Cleaning house would create morale problems in the entire athletic department and, IMHO, demonstrate poor leadership.

I hope Mr. Spear will help BG staff to establish goals and develop strategies for achieving them. Cleaning house would create morale problems in the entire athletic department and, IMHO, demonstrate poor leadership.
The morale problems would likely be short lived.

Building a team environment and improving morale, where everyone works together requires them being around each other. Considering they are a part of a fundraising organization….the “in public” thing is probably necessary.

Reactions: Herd1972
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT