ADVERTISEMENT

Marshall Thundering Herd poll

If the Herd gets in The Dance for the 2nd year in a row, it would be quite an....

• accomplishment

Votes: 43 87.8%
  • disappointment

Votes: 6 12.2%

• Total voters
It’s an accomplishment but that doesn’t mean this season can’t be a disappointment at the same time
........429 - I know you love living in a 50 shades of gray worl’, but this is purely a black or white issue. Either you accomplish your goal or you don’t. You can’t “almost” accomplish something! That is why there are only two choices.

........429 - I know you love living in a 50 shades of gray worl’, but this is purely a black or white issue. Either you accomplish your goal or you don’t. You can’t “almost” accomplish something! That is why there are only two choices.
You think part of our goal was being middle of the pack with ~.500 conference record?

Reactions: ilmherdfan
You think part of our goal was being middle of the pack with ~.500 conference record?
....Its not often I get the feeling of shooting fish in a barrel!! I believe our goal at the beginning of the season was to qualify for the NCAA tourney. A secondary goal (probably) was to get to the sweet 16. Accomplishing the 1st goal would imo count as a very successful season! I will admit I got sucked into thinking we might get in as an at-large before the season began, but irrespective(!) our only realistic shot each & every year is to get the auto bid that goes to the CUSA tournament winner.

........poll shaping up nicely at nearly 90% in the affirmative...​

BRING ON DANNY'S HERD
....Frisco & NCAAs bound......I hope & pray....

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

....Its not often I get the feeling of shooting fish in a barrel!! I believe our goal at the beginning of the season was to qualify for the NCAA tourney. A secondary goal (probably) was to get to the sweet 16. Accomplishing the 1st goal would imo count as a very successful season! I will admit I got sucked into thinking we might get in as an at-large before the season began, but irrespective(!) our only realistic shot each & every year is to get the auto bid that goes to the CUSA tournament winner.

........poll shaping up nicely at nearly 90% in the affirmative...​
Winning 6 games a year finishing 12 in conf but some how winning 4 more does not equate to a successful season. I’m sorry my expectations following last year were higher for this year. But I’m glad you are so simple minded that everything is black and white. For those of us living in the real world things aren’t that simple

Reactions: ilmherdfan
Winning 6 games a year finishing 12 in conf but some how winning 4 more does not equate to a successful season. I’m sorry my expectations following last year were higher for this year. But I’m glad you are so simple minded that everything is black and white. For those of us living in the real world things aren’t that simple

......Perhaps if I expand your understanding of the timeline for men’s basketball, it will at least provide some context for where I am coming from:
This is the 100th season for Marshall men’s basketball. Since the 1919-20 season, the times the Herd achieved significant success have been very rare. It took 27 seasons until a major success occurred. The ‘46-‘47 team won the schools 1st national title of any kind, the NAIB small college tourney in Cali. Marshall qualified for the same tournament the next year and fell before reaching the championship game. In a mere 9 seasons, we received our 1st invite to TBD by winning the 1956 MAC. In 10 more seasons, the Dan D’Antoni-led Herd was chosen for the NIT, when it was a big deal. The boys took NYC by storm, gaining a bunch of new fans in making the semis. The next season saw a second NIT bid in a row. Only 4 seasons later, Mike D’Antoni’s cursive Herd received an at-large bid to TBD when only 32 teams got in. That was followed in ‘72-‘73 by a NIT invite. 10 more seasons after that Huck’s Herd won the SoCon Tourney 3 times in 4 seasons (one of those later vacated). Then in ‘87-‘88 Marshall was invited to a NIT that was a shadow of its former self. With me so far?
So, the 1st 70 seasons for MU resulted in officially 10 chances to advance in post-season play. Only in the 1st two did we win at least one game. Starting in ‘56 (NCAA appearances only), we were 0-5 until ‘17-‘18. So for 30 seasons (longest gap in history), we came as close as a UTC put back with 0.01 seconds left in 1997 to getting back to the only tournament that matters.
As Sam loves to describe it, we had 8 days where we were the better team in 4 consecutive games, including our 1st ever NCAA win! 100 seasons, success rate at/under 15% for post-season success. 85 % of the seasons we absolutely failed. So, if we were to win in Frisco and get into TBD 2 years in a row? Hell, yes I would say it was a successful season!!
WS

Last edited:
......Perhaps if I expand your understanding of the timeline for men’s basketball, it will at least provide some context for where I am coming from:
This is the 100th season for Marshall men’s basketball. Since the 1919-20 season, the times the Herd achieved significant success have been very rare. It took 27 seasons until a major success occurred. The ‘46-‘47 team won the schools 1st national title of any kind, the NAIB college tourney in Cali. Marshall qualified for the same tournament the next year and fell before reaching the championship game. In a mere 9 seasons, we received our 1st invite to TBD by winning the 1956 MAC. In 10 more seasons, the Dan D’Antoni-led Herd was chosen for the NIT, when it was a big deal. The boys took NYC by storm, gaining a bunch of new fans in making the semis. The next season saw a second NIT bid in a row. Only 4 seasons later, Mike D’Antoni’s cursive Herd received an at-large bid to TBD when only 32 teams got in. That was followed in ‘72-‘73 by a NIT invite. 10 more seasons after that Huck’s Herd won the SoCon Tourney 3 times in 4 seasons (one of those later vacated). Then in ‘87-‘88 Marshall was invited to a NIT that was a shadow of its former self. With me so far?
So, the 1st 70 seasons for MU resulted in officially 10 chances to advance in post-season play. Only in the 1st two did we win at least one game. Starting in ‘56 (NCAA appearances only), we were 0-5 until ‘17-‘18. So for 30 seasons (longest gap in history), we came as close as a UTC put back with 0.01 seconds left in 1997 to getting back to the only tournament that matters.
As Sam loves to describe it, we had 8 days where we were the better team in 4 consecutive games, including our 1st ever NCAA win! 100 seasons, success rate at/under 15% for post-season success. 85 % of the seasons we absolutely failed. So, if we were to win in Frisco and get into TBD 2 years in a row? Hell, yes I would say it was a successful season!!
WS

W-S HERD Fan....you are wasting your time & words since a select few on this Board can not comprehend what you have so professionally researched. Hell---if you gave them 1 million $$$$--they would bitch about the denominations! HERD Hoops has always been entertainment for OUR LOYAL fans & Big Green supporters. Nothing More---Nothing Less! Like you, I have experience many highs with my family & friends following HERD basketball, football, and BASEBALL. I have cultivated many good friends along the way. It makes me happy to say...I am a Proud Graduate of Marshall University! Our Sports teams bring a lot of joy to those that see them for what it is. We are not a UNC---Duke---Kentucky---Gonzaga----Michigan.....but that does not mean we can't cheer just as insanely for HERD Student-Athletes that wear The Kelly Green & White.

I will be dancing in the streets if we head to Frisco on a 4-game win streak.....and on any given 4 days....Who knows what might just happen with the right bounce of the ball?

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Last edited:
This is the 100th season for Marshall men’s basketball. Since the 1919-20 season, the times the Herd achieved significant success have been very rare. It took 27 seasons until a major success occurred. The ‘46-‘47 team won the schools 1st national title of any kind, the NAIB small college tourney in Cali. Marshall qualified for the same tournament the next year and fell before reaching the championship game. In a mere 9 seasons, we received our 1st invite to TBD by winning the 1956 MAC. In 10 more seasons, the Dan D’Antoni-led Herd was chosen for the NIT, when it was a big deal. The boys took NYC by storm, gaining a bunch of new fans in making the semis. The next season saw a second NIT bid in a row. Only 4 seasons later, Mike D’Antoni’s cursive Herd received an at-large bid to TBD when only 32 teams got in. That was followed in ‘72-‘73 by a NIT invite. 10 more seasons after that Huck’s Herd won the SoCon Tourney 3 times in 4 seasons (one of those later vacated). Then in ‘87-‘88 Marshall was invited to a NIT that was a shadow of its former self. With me so far?
WS

It was in Kansas City ;-)))

WS
So because we’ve never had a history of success we shouldn’t have higher expectations for this team that won the conf tournament last year? “It doesn’t matter as long as we go dancing”. Let’s flip it around and talk football. Honestly short of about 15-20 years we haven’t been a very good program. Under your everything is black and white view of the world would going 6-6 and making a bowl game would constitute a successful season? Surely making and winning a bowl game is a goal of the football team

Reactions: The Real SamC
I cant believe you all just argued over this and didn’t even read the poll question correctly. If the team makes it to the tourney a 2nd time IT would be an......... It doesn’t say if they make it to the tourney a 2nd time the whole season would be an.......

In this case the IT would be making the tourney. And obviously that means they would have ACCOMPLISHED making the tourney. Now if that makes the whole season an accomplishment is everyone’s one opinion based on your expectations.

GO HERD

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Marshall makes the NCAA tournament and you're disappointed in any way, stop watching sports and start going to church.

......if Herd Nation & the interweb existed back in the day:
Civil War
“If the Union Army is able to force Gen. Lee to surrender the Confederate Army and bring an end to the bloodiest conflict in American history, it would be quite an:”
A. accomplishment. 92%
B. disappointment 8%

B response: Well, overall I would support it, but we really sucked in the middle of the campaign. In Bull Run, Chickamauga and Chancellorsville, we didn’t show much effort! We should’ve never replaced Gen Meade. Grant really got lucky for those magical 15 months.

Bible miracle
“If Moses is able to part the Red Sea and free his people from the Egyptians while simultaneously destroying Pharoh’s army, it would be quite a:
A. accomplishment 97%
B. disappointment 3%

B response: While I would be OK with the result,
Moses took waaaay to long to get it done. Why would you let the people have to make bricks without straw? And what was he thinking going up to the mountain top? He should have known those rules would never hold up! We need to recruit bigger leaders.....

There is no real analogy between either WWII or the Book of Exodus to college basketball.

Look I get it. You want to make up a fantasy world where a 0.001% chance thing has already happened. Because you want to discuss abstractions. Because the real world is not for you. I get it.

To make a proper WWII analogy, something like "you are an ordinary German soldier, freezing before Stalingrad, you know the end is near, you muse on the futility of war and of your nation's leaders always choosing "world" as you opponent. The freezing zealot next to you posits 'but what if an advanced race lands in UFOs, wipes out the Commies, raises the temperature to 20 c, and establishes a new world order to our liking? Boy then wouldn't you feel stupid for having doubted the Grand Plan?'"

What ifs, alien space bats, 0.001% possibilities and the like are not my thing.

Get back to me in a few weeks. You have a bad case of premature edification.

......if Herd Nation & the interweb existed back in the day:
Civil War
“If the Union Army is able to force Gen. Lee to surrender the Confederate Army and bring an end to the bloodiest conflict in American history, it would be quite an:”
A. accomplishment. 92%
B. disappointment 8%

B response: Well, overall I would support it, but we really sucked in the middle of the campaign. In Bull Run, Chickamauga and Chancellorsville, we didn’t show much effort! We should’ve never replaced Gen Meade. Grant really got lucky for those magical 15 months.

Bible miracle
“If Moses is able to part the Red Sea and free his people from the Egyptians while simultaneously destroying Pharoh’s army, it would be quite a:
A. accomplishment 97%
B. disappointment 3%

B response: While I would be OK with the result,
Moses took waaaay to long to get it done. Why would you let the people have to make bricks without straw? And what was he thinking going up to the mountain top? He should have known those rules would never hold up! We need to recruit bigger leaders.....

Jesus. Spare me having to read any more of your attempts.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT