ADVERTISEMENT

MBB Poll

How many games will M.U. win this season?

• Over 12

Votes: 28 43.1%
  • Under 12

Votes: 37 56.9%

• Total voters
Assuming DD is gone assumes one of two things:

- DD gets it and is going away. Not wanting to get into politics, but we have had a run of old men who don't get they are past their prime (if they ever had a prime) who won't go away.

- CS has grown a pair, become an actual leader, and had the skill and bravery to marshal the allies he needs to actually fire DD and make it stick, given the cabal's love for him and his massive family power over university and state government.

One can only hope. But it doesn't look good. A "Its unacceptable, I accept it" memo looms more likely.

Assuming DD is gone assumes one of two things:

- DD gets it and is going away. Not wanting to get into politics, but we have had a run of old men who don't get they are past their prime (if they ever had a prime) who won't go away.

- CS has grown a pair, become an actual leader, and had the skill and bravery to marshal the allies he needs to actually fire DD and make it stick, given the cabal's love for him and his massive family power over university and state government.

One can only hope. But it doesn't look good. A "Its unacceptable, I accept it" memo looms more likely.
Its gotta be option one... I mean think about it...

DD is closing in on 77 years old. He has to want to have some "golden years" right? Hell, Im 39 and Im already looking at whether I can retire at 58 instead of 60. I can't imagine working a stressful job at 77 regardless of compensation.

And love DD or hate him, he's not dumb... He knows this team is flat terrible. He also realizes being anything above terrible next year is unlikely without some serious grinding in the offseason (recruiting, making staff changes, etc). Does he have that in him? Doubtful.

Buy him a gold watch, thank him for his years of service, name a locker room after him at halftime of a game next year, etc... And go find a coach under the age of 50 that is ready to grind.

Its gotta be option one... I mean think about it...

DD is closing in on 77 years old. He has to want to have some "golden years" right? Hell, Im 39 and Im already looking at whether I can retire at 58 instead of 60. I can't imagine working a stressful job at 77 regardless of compensation.

And love DD or hate him, he's not dumb... He knows this team is flat terrible. He also realizes being anything above terrible next year is unlikely without some serious grinding in the offseason (recruiting, making staff changes, etc). Does he have that in him? Doubtful.

Buy him a gold watch, thank him for his years of service, name a locker room after him at halftime of a game next year, etc... And go find a coach under the age of 50 that is ready to grind.
All true points....but if he stays I look for some defections from the couple of guys we have that might be able to transfer to other places.

We gave Dan (high school coach) a job. We paid him to try to advance Marshall. He has failed.
We have kept him for waay too long. He has failed to put us on top and keep us competitive.
We owe him NOTHING but yearly salary. He has failed his obligation to Marshall. We did him a huge favor by giving a high school coach a job to lead Marshall.
Let him go and get someone that can coach in todays basketball.

Just picked this up from someone in N.C.
Alan Huss, in his first year of being a head coach, at High Point U.
How to hire
He has them 20-5. Not too shabby…

HPU is, right now, in the Big South, a "bus and gym" league. The SBC is, right now, a small step up. But HPU is a college on the move. The current president, who, like ours, is a "non-traditional" leader, a rich banker, not an academic, has transformed the place from a small locals college (think UC) into a nationally recognized rich kid college (think Davidson, Elon, etc.). They charge over $60K tuition. They are expanding everywhere, just built a new arena (HPU is the kind of rich kid college that uses basketball as a form of entertainment for the students (think Duke) ). I don't think HPU will be in the BSC much longer. Probably looking at the CAA or the SoCon. I don't know if we can really lure someone out of there.

Reactions: RhinoD
This will go down as one of the top three most embarrassingly dumb thread in the history of Marshall sports.

Reading through this. Most of you guys aren’t fans. You are just part of the what have ya done for me lately group.

Embarrassing. Congrats to all.

• Sad
Reactions: putnam green
If you are including me Mr Perkins, I have maybe been a Marshall fan longer than you have been alive and have donated enough through the years that I always thought I have the right to say what Ithink without getting permission from someone like you.
Maybe you have. Maybe you haven’t. I don’t know. And I’m not sure I really care.

I am not asking you to ask permission from me

I also don’t meet to ask permission to voice my opinion.

And my opinion is that the hate on D’antoni and thinking that he has failed is ridiculous and embarrassing.

He has done more than any coach in the last 60 years.

He coaches in todays age of basketball as good as anyone 30 years younger than him.

And we want to run him off.

I will say it a thousand times.

NIL and the transfer portal isn’t killing college sports.

It’s the fans treating it like professional sports that is hurting college sports.

• Sad
Reactions: putnam green
Zero league championships, 1 league tournament championship…..that’s it in 10 years…..
That’s not considered coaching good basketball.

A poorly constructed roster is not considered coaching good basketball.

There’s not one program in the country that would hire Dan tomorrow….if he was coaching good basketball that would not be the case.

The program is stagnant and not showing any signs of moving the needle forward. Would not be shocked to see Obinna and Martin leave after this year….then bad only gets worse.

Watch a Marshall basketball game, then turn on literally any other game on tv there’s a drastic difference in level of play.

I’m not sure how you can have someone leading your program who….
doesn’t believe in playing a competitive schedule (has said that)

Doesn’t like playing highly ranked opponents (has said that)

Doesn’t lose sleep over losses (has said that)

Doesn’t believe in changing defenses during a game or season (has shown that)

Nothing matters to him except for the conference tournament (has said that)

It’s very interesting when speaking to asst and head coaches of teams after they play Marshall to get their views and what they saw before and after playing Marshall.

One coach told the story he called a timeout after scoring 3 consecutive possessions on the same call from the bench against Marshall just to see what adjustment would be made….and called exact same play and scored both times after timeout because there was no change.

Zero league championships, 1 league tournament championship…..that’s it in 10 years…..
That’s not considered coaching good basketball.

A poorly constructed roster is not considered coaching good basketball.

There’s not one program in the country that would hire Dan tomorrow….if he was coaching good basketball that would not be the case.

The program is stagnant and not showing any signs of moving the needle forward. Would not be shocked to see Obinna and Martin leave after this year….then bad only gets worse.

Watch a Marshall basketball game, then turn on literally any other game on tv there’s a drastic difference in level of play.

I CIT championship
I NCAA tourney birth
1 NCAA tourney win (first ever)
Top two scorers in school history
Continually bounces back after a bad season
Record for most single season wins in school history
A new practice facilty
Revitalized the overall fan base and turned games from Wednesday night church services to sporting events
Brought funds into the program
Has represented us with class throughout his tenure (unlike past coaches both here and in other parts of our state)

Our roster has been constructed perfectly fine enough for the aforementioned accomplishments as well as sticking to his word and the programs word when making commitments

You have no idea if anyone would hire him or not.

If Obinna or Martin would leave it would have nothing to do with D’antoni or this program. It would be for money. We can’t offer those funds and I’m kinda glad. We could rent kids for hire like another team in this state and then watch them play for the name on the back and not give two craps about the name on the front and be sitting at 8-15 now with another blowout loss.

I have watched many games this year. I know what we have. And I know what he has gotten out of what we had left about Andy and Micah left. And it’s pretty impressive

You and others have hated him for too long for a variety of non Marshall related reasons in order to see all the good he has done and is doing.

Aaron - with due respect, and admiration for your loyalty to our Alma Mater, you have severe myopic vision when it comes to Dan D’Antoni. His philosophy of the game came from Ellis Johnson 60 years ago. The game has changed a lot since then! His latest ploy to have a 6’10” point guard feed the ball into a 6’8” post player, who, with his back to the basket is supposed to see team mates cutting to the basket, or they have to come out in front of him to get the ball, is the worst trick he has tried to pull.
Time for him to acknowledge the game has passed him by. Thank him for his service and move on….

CIT??? So weren’t good enough to be one of the top 68, or the 32 after that for the NIT…..so fighting for #100?? That’s not worth hanging a banner of bragging about.

Yes he’s had scorers….(1 took 5 years of stats) but it shows that with all of the scoring he wasn’t good enough to put a plan together on the other end of the court to go with it.

So again, 1 comference tournament championship in 10 years, 0 regular season championships in 10 years…..that’s not exactly considered a success.

Our roster is constructed into one that’s simply not very good. That’s evident on the court.

So he’s hanging is hat on “we’ve got nice guys”

Too bad they don’t give trophies for that….and yes, he would not be hired by another program. That’s been evident his whole career.

Yes, there’s a practice facility, charters flights etc….and it has gotten exactly 1 banner in 10 years. That’s not a good return on investment.

It’s time to thank him for his service and move on. The Henderson Center could be a big time atmosphere again….not a place that has had to reduce capacity to have “sellouts”. Previous coaches could actually fill the place up to full capacity.

Maybe you have. Maybe you haven’t. I don’t know. And I’m not sure I really care.

And my opinion is that the hate on D’antoni and thinking that he has failed is ridiculous and embarrassing.

He coaches in todays age of basketball as good as anyone 30 years younger than him.

It’s the fans treating it like professional sports that is hurting college sports.
Ever heard of Rick Huckaby

• Love
Reactions: marshallsig
And to think Dan won all these games and only 1 banner, and that was due to 3 days….not even a full season….tells you who he wanted to play too. Just think remember last year and didn’t get a sniff from NCAA or NIT….tells you who Dan likes to play.

When you think small time you end up small time

He's done more than anybody in the last 60 years? Only because he's been here at least 10 of those 60 years. We're certainly not improving our lot in the bball world. We're barely treading water. Time for a change. Oh, and you must have forgotten about a guy they called Huck.

I CIT championship
Were # 132!!! Were #132!!!!! Were #132!!!!!!
I NCAA tourney birth
Yep. Just one. Failure.
Something 100s of teams have done. Only at Marshall is a big deal made of it.
And yet, all this failure.
Continually has bad seasons to halfway bounce back from.
173-140
A new practice facilty
He paid for that? Better tell Big Jim.
Revitalized the overall fan base and turned games from Wednesday night church services to sporting events
Plays in an arena where almost half of the capacity is tarped over, unsellable.
Show me.
Has represented us with class throughout his tenure (unlike past coaches both here and in other parts of our state)
The last refuge of a loser, he has character. Yes he does. So does my aunt Jean, and she can't coach basketball either.
Our roster has been constructed perfectly fine enough for the aforementioned accomplishments as well as sticking to his word and the programs word when making commitments
No human being believes that.
Do what? Dude, the man is 75 years old, has accomplished nothing in over a decade of living out his fantasy of coaching college. He is a retired HS coach. No one is hiring him.
If Obinna or Martin would leave it would have nothing to do with D’antoni or this program. It would be for money. We can’t offer those funds and I’m kinda glad. We could rent kids for hire like another team in this state and then watch them play for the name on the back and not give two craps about the name on the front and be sitting at 8-15 now with another blowout loss.
You bring up WVU????? We are not on the WVU level. We used to be, actually slightly higher, for decades. They demanded better and moved up. We stood pat.
I have watched many games this year. I know what we have. And I know what he has gotten out of what we had left about Andy and Micah left. And it’s pretty impressive
You are impressed by 12-13, with one of those wins being Bluefield. What would disappoint you?

This team is a steaming pile of garbage. That is what it is.
You and others have hated him for too long for a variety of non Marshall related reasons in order to see all the good he has done and is doing.
Once, from fourth place, we got on an eight day hot streak. It might happen again some day.

This is a token effort.

Fire DD.

Fire CS.

Were # 132!!! Were #132!!!!! Were #132!!!!!!

Yep. Just one. Failure.

Something 100s of teams have done. Only at Marshall is a big deal made of it.

And yet, all this failure.

Continually has bad seasons to halfway bounce back from.

173-140

He paid for that? Better tell Big Jim.

Plays in an arena where almost half of the capacity is tarped over, unsellable.

Show me.

The last refuge of a loser, he has character. Yes he does. So does my aunt Jean, and she can't coach basketball either.

No human being believes that.

Do what? Dude, the man is 75 years old, has accomplished nothing in over a decade of living out his fantasy of coaching college. He is a retired HS coach. No one is hiring him.

You bring up WVU????? We are not on the WVU level. We used to be, actually slightly higher, for decades. They demanded better and moved up. We stood pat.

You are impressed by 12-13, with one of those wins being Bluefield. What would disappoint you?

This team is a steaming pile of garbage. That is what it is.

Once, from fourth place, we got on an eight day hot streak. It might happen again some day.

This is a token effort.

Fire DD.

Fire CS.
…… I do digress from Sam on CS. Jury’s still out. Great hires in WBB & Softball + Women’s Soccer. Like you’ve stated on numerous occasions, the keeping of D’Antoni might have been part of the deal when he hired on. Extra work has been put into fan engagement, and the new baseball field & softball improvements (lights!) are positives as well.
Time will tell….

Reactions: RhinoD
Time will tell….
Yeah. This isn't the thread to get into an argument about CS. Time will tell (and BTW, the baseball field was 100% Big Jim, thanks Big Jim) and pretty soon.

- Will he fire DD and institute a total regime change?

- The CH question is probably going to answer itself. Either he actually does his job and thus gets to move up, or he, as I believe he will, flops again and there is no question as to firing him, but IF he muddles around to yet another mediocre season, does he have the courage to demand better, or not?

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
HPU is, right now, in the Big South, a "bus and gym" league. The SBC is, right now, a small step up. But HPU is a college on the move. The current president, who, like ours, is a "non-traditional" leader, a rich banker, not an academic, has transformed the place from a small locals college (think UC) into a nationally recognized rich kid college (think Davidson, Elon, etc.). They charge over $60K tuition. They are expanding everywhere, just built a new arena (HPU is the kind of rich kid college that uses basketball as a form of entertainment for the students (think Duke) ). I don't think HPU will be in the BSC much longer. Probably looking at the CAA or the SoCon. I don't know if we can really lure someone out of there.
This is absolutely spot on... High Point is an up-and-coming university funded by millionaires and billionaires in a growing part of a growing state. There has been talk for the past year or two that HPU and Gardner Webb (a similar institution) may be added to the SoCon, which is already a better basketball league than the SBC and with those two additions would be a borderline top-10 basketball conference... Hiring away HPU's coach would take a huge check.

If you are including me Mr Perkins, I have maybe been a Marshall fan longer than you have been alive and have donated enough through the years that I always thought I have the right to say what I think without getting permission from someone like you.
You are not wrong my friend... As long as MU is cashing your checks (and mine, and many others on here) then you have every right to voice your opinion.

But, you guys arguing with Perkins should know better.

Marshall could be 1-24 right now with the only win being Bluefield College and Perkins would tell you everything is amazing, the coaches are working hard, and we have a bunch of nice kids, and we are just a couple players away -- It's the same nonsense he types every year one of our programs has a bad season. You all aren't new here.

The fact is, this year, our basketball team is a bad squad in a below average league filled with other also-rans. If you watch the games, that's not negotiable. It's bad basketball. There's no reason to waste your time or key strokes arguing with a guy that doesn't admit it's raining even as we all get drenched.

This will go down as one of the top three most embarrassingly dumb thread in the history of Marshall sports.

Reading through this. Most of you guys aren’t fans. You are just part of the what have ya done for me lately group.

Embarrassing. Congrats to all.
People like are you are why dictators are able to rise to power and maintain it. You'll take whatever crap is handed to you and smile about it.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I CIT championship
I NCAA tourney birth
A new practice facilty

Bragging about winning the CIT is absolutely pathetic. A pay for play tournament where we beat a bunch of bad teams.

…… I do digress from Sam on CS. Jury’s still out. Great hires in WBB & Softball + Women’s Soccer. Like you’ve stated on numerous occasions, the keeping of D’Antoni might have been part of the deal when he hired on. Extra work has been put into fan engagement, and the new baseball field & softball improvements (lights!) are positives as well.
Time will tell….
I wouldn't give CS credit for the facility upgrades. Those have been in motion long before he got here. He just was the guy present to see the results that his predecessors worked for.

So far Spears has done nothing noteworthy except hiring two women's coaches and women's sports don't pay the bills. ADs are ultimately judged on the success of football and MBB. Those are the sports that fund the operation and right now we absolutely suck in both.

This is absolutely spot on... High Point is an up-and-coming university funded by millionaires and billionaires in a growing part of a growing state. There has been talk for the past year or two that HPU and Gardner Webb (a similar institution) may be added to the SoCon, which is already a better basketball league than the SBC and with those two additions would be a borderline top-10 basketball conference... Hiring away HPU's coach would take a huge check.

You are not wrong my friend... As long as MU is cashing your checks (and mine, and many others on here) then you have every right to voice your opinion.

But, you guys arguing with Perkins should know better.

Marshall could be 1-24 right now with the only win being Bluefield College and Perkins would tell you everything is amazing, the coaches are working hard, and we have a bunch of nice kids, and we are just a couple players away -- It's the same nonsense he types every year one of our programs has a bad season. You all aren't new here.

The fact is, this year, our basketball team is a bad squad in a below average league filled with other also-rans. If you watch the games, that's not negotiable. It's bad basketball. There's no reason to waste your time or key strokes arguing with a guy that doesn't admit it's raining even as we all get drenched.
Dude stated the other day on OF that he's never been more happy with and excited about MBB than he is now. If you recall during the football season we had a losing record and were playing something like Ga Southern or State ( I can't recall) and he said he had never been more excited for a game in his entire life.

To love something and not care that it's degrading is beyond me. To support the employees responsible for the continued decline of both programs is an even bigger head scratcher.

Last edited:
Dude stated the other day on OF that he was he's never been more happy with and excited about MBB than he is now. If you recall during the football season we had a losing record and were playing something like Ga Southern or State ( I can't recall) and he said he had never been more excited for a game in his entire life.

To love something and not care that it's degrading is beyond me. To support the employees responsible for the continued decline of both programs is an even bigger head scratcher.
When fandom blinds you from reason, it's time to take a step back, lol.

The thing I don't get though -- Perk will be a boot licker for any coach, so why be tied to DD?

If MU canned DD tomorrow and hired a random insurance agent from Kenosha, Wisconsin who coaches middle school girls to take his place, Perkins would be the first one telling us how amazing the new coach is, how excited he is for next season, etc... So if the man on the sideline doesn't matter, and you will blindly support whoever, why be so obnoxious about the current guy? You can love his replacement too!

I wouldn't give CS credit for the facility upgrades. Those have been in motion long before he got here. He just was the guy present to see the results that his predecessors worked for.

So far Spears has done nothing noteworthy except hiring two women's coaches and women's sports don't pay the bills. ADs are ultimately judged on the success of football and MBB. Those are the sports that fund the operation and right now we absolutely suck in both.
I'll give Spears credit for getting the baseball project back on track after Hamrick screwed the pooch royally on the site selection and bid process. That could have tanked it, but Spears and Smith came through. But to your point facilities really aren't a one man show as we know. They need Fundraising, contracts, multi persons involved to make them work.

I'll give Spears credit for getting the baseball project back on track after Hamrick screwed the pooch royally on the site selection and bid process. That could have tanked it, but Spears and Smith came through. But to your point facilities really aren't a one man show as we know. They need Fundraising, contracts, multi persons involved to make them work.
Let’s

Thx go way beyond Spears but I suppose he's at right place at right time. I

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT