ADVERTISEMENT

More Jobs Leaving Huntington - More Money Lost for MU

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
Flint Group (owner of the old ultramarine plant on Fifth Avenue next to Stewart's) announced the closing of the Huntington facility - 50 more jobs gone.

Horrible. Huntington has Steve Williams and he is trying, but the state isn't going to help. JJ may now that he's governor.

You have an airport that is a 40 minute flight from the worlds busiest airport, but you have zero flights from the worlds busiest airport. Money likes to find a place that's accessible. If JJ wanted to help, he would subsidize that route, twice a day up and back.

When the eerbilly legislature voted down airport expansion to keep Ashland Oil from relocation , they pretty much took care of Huntington expansion too. Brilliant move to quell any growth that theatens flagshit u. The vote years ago to not allow interstate access into the city also didn't help. If I was Williams I'd revisit that too.

Still Huntington will survive , charming city in places, beautifully designed, good historic architecture in core downtown. Williams is trying and trying alone helps. In time I think he gets it tuning in the right direction.

Reactions: ohio herd
With all due respect, there is NO plane every likely to land at HTS that it cannot accommodate. I know you are fixated on the total waste that was done at the hole's tiny airport, but it is still light years' behind HTS. Nobody ever "killed" HTS expansion. A (very smart IMHO) idea to close HTS and CRW and combine the demand with a centrally located airport was killed by the Charleston courthouse gang, but "keeping Marshall down" had nothing to do with it. Once again, the issue at HTS is DEMAND, not any need of any facility there. If there was DEMAND for an ATL flight, DL would be back the next day. There just is not. The HTS market today can support AA's CLT flights and that deep discounter Allegiant. That is all. If there was demand for more, it would show up w/o any need of any construction.

Subsidizing a flight to ATL with state $$, with the state flat broke, is about the worst idea I can think of.

And, while it sucks for the people that worked there, Huntington businesses don't pay taxes that go to Marshall in any way different than any other business anywhere else in the state. So unless the company was a Foundation or Big Green donor, it is of no more significance to MU's finances than a coal mine in Tucker County.

Um, some have speculated that since this plant is located not that far from the ACF property that the city/Mayor Williams have targeted for development, that there may some interest in it from that angle by the city.

First thing would be to approach the owners on their willingness/recalcitrance (bet you guys never thought you'd see such a high brow word on this site, did you?) to sell the property.

Second, would be to see how much possible environment cleanup/Brownsfield type issues may be involved there.

Of course, in the end, the city and/or MU's efforts may be futile. Could be the folks at Stewart's Hot Dogs may want to buy and raze the place and erect their World Wide Headquarters there!! :p

I had a family member that worked there in the 60's-70's and the plant was struggling at that time. This is not surprising, it's remarkable that the plant remained open this long.

The point Toes is jobs/money/taxes gone as the result of a "dying" industry!
i understand that. and it reinforces the reality that until wvians (leaders and citizens both) commit to the new economic realities, closures like this will be a big hit.

this means weaning away from addiction to coal-crack and easy fixes. mayor williams seems to get it though - wish he had been mayor 20 years ago

Sam HTS is NOT
it reinforces the reality that until wvians (leaders and citizens both) commit to the new economic realities, closures like this will be a big hit.

Williams is trying and he is doing the best he can, as is Hamrick too. I can't believe people find fault with Hamrick after watching Kayo and the slow dime nearly destroy the program. Yeah football sucks right now, but many other sports are in better shape than they've ever been before. Our facilities have had major improvements.

Huntington needs to "industry target" and drop taxes for those specific industries for 20 years. Ireland did it and overnight they became the Celtic tiger. Georgia focused on the movie industry and is now the #1 shooting location in the entire world. It took them a decade but literally there are movies being shot here everyday. There's is a reason why 80% of pharmaceutical companies are based in New Jersey and it ain't cause the sopranos live there.

Huntington could do the same, with a young labor force and the ability to tap into a well educated young work force out of Marshall that would love to stay in state instead of leaving it. Funny the Marshall grads leave and the eerbillys stay and the state gets worse every year. Hmmmmmm?

Finally it's time to start buying out old delapadated homes, demolish them and turn then lot back into an area where rebuilding a new home is an option, and allow urban renewal low interest loans to young couples that want to live "In city".

Williams and Hamrick have been a great team, if we can get a baseball field deal to be built by years end out of this in the long run it may be worth it.

Reactions: mike48
I know you are fixated on the total waste that was done at the hole's tiny airport, .

I think the airport you are referring to is the one outside of Bridgeport which has been expanded recently to accommodate the FBI and it's 3500 jobs, not to mention the hundreds of jobs from the aircraft industries that have plants there. Businesses like Pratt Whitney, Lockheed Martin, Bombardier all have plants there and the Robert C. Byrd Avionics branch of Fairmont State is located there too. Hundreds if not thousands of jobs are located there and they are looking to expand the airport further. As far as I know the airport at Morgantown hasn't been expanded or updated for years.......

No, I was referring to Morgantown (MGW). When USPAM moved up from the mid-majors to the Big 2, Little 8, you and me taxpayer paid millions to allow the place to accommodate Texas/Oklahoma fat cat's private jets. Greenhouse is a good poster, but he has conflated this taxwaste to the private plane side with commercial air service, which that side of the 'hole port has not been, nor needs to be, improved in decades.

The multiple renamed Clarksburg airport (CKB) serves the dying Clarksburg/Fairmont area, which is only supported by the pork barrel taxwastes you describe.

Both, and every other commercial service airport in WV except for HTS and CRW (Beckley, Lewisburg, and Parkersburg) are on the taxwaste EAS program, where you and me taxpayer pay airlines to fly commercial service to these places, where the free market dictates that there should be none. Our new president has proposed eliminating this program. Hopefully we will soon see the end of commercial flights to these places, and the 'holeites will have to drive the PIT or CRW. Great.

http://buzz.blog.ajc.com/2017/05/24/georgia-film/

Don't believe everything you read online, especially since that claim was so easily seen to be massively flawed.

I'm really really really trying not to categorize you as a trolling eeerbilly idiot but it's becoming evident Sam C may have your ball holding number.

Fat, drunk, unshaven, looking like your coming off a blender and wearing black when your schools colors are blue is no way to go through life son. Go on back to vermins board and sober up.

Thank you.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
I'm really really really trying not to categorize you as a trolling eeerbilly idiot but it's becoming evident Sam C may have your ball holding number.

Fat, drunk, unshaven, looking like your coming off a blender and wearing black when your schools colors are blue is no way to go through life son. Go on back to vermins board and sober up.

Thank you.
Gee, thanks. Now we get to see 186 different pictures of a topless CK just to prove you wrong.

Talk about a Superfund site that would take half the U.S.Treasury to clean it up...Standard Ultramarine/Flint Pigments

http://buzz.blog.ajc.com/2017/05/24/georgia-film/

Thank you.

If you're dumb enough to believe that Georgia is the "#1 shooting location in the entire world," then you're dumb enough to believe Sam's blabbering fallacies.

Your blog does three major things that should raise red flags for you. First, it compares states (Georgia, California, etc.) to countries (England, Canada, etc.). Not quite the same, huh?

Worse than that is that your blog admitted the study only looked at the top 100 grossing films. The major studios put out more than 100 combined films per year, so this is simply looking at a fraction of overall major films.

Much worse than both of those is your own blog's admittance that the findings were only for domestic movies in the U.S. In other words, you are claiming the "#1 shooting location in the entire world" by ignoring all of the films produced/released elsewhere around the world. For instance, Bollywood releases many, many more films each year than Hollywood does. Most of those Bollywood films are at least partly filmed in India (namely, Mumbai). Since your claim is that Georgia is the #1 shooting location in the world for films, common sense should tell you that you have to include "the world" for your standard, not just the top 100 films in the U.S.

You're using the inclusive term of the world, yet excluding the overwhelming majority of the world by only counting movies in the U.S.

Let me try: "a recent study showed that Greenhouse is the most naive message board poster in the entire world" . . . based on only looking at some message boards only in the U.S. So, in reality, the study didn't really show you to be the most naive in the world; just the most naive in the country based on a small fraction of the U.S. message boards.

Now, go back to believing everything you read on the internet while ignoring critical reading.

No, I was referring to Morgantown (MGW). When USPAM moved up from the mid-majors to the Big 2, Little 8, you and me taxpayer paid millions to allow the place to accommodate Texas/Oklahoma fat cat's private jets.

Provide us a link to something that shows that the Morgantown airport was expanded since WVU's move to the Big XII. You can't because it didn't happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ninegate
Your tax dollars at waste:

mountaineernewsservice.com/morgantown-airports-runway-expansion-wont-mean-commercial-flights

Here is an idea. Since you support USPAM and we are "not rivals" and play at a "lower level" and all of your other idiocy, end your TOTAL FIXATION upon us.

Notice the date on the article you linked - 2015, and the runway extension at Morgantowns airports still hasn't happened. Yet you claimed in your rant above that the runway was extended 5 years ago when WVU went to the Big XII...... .

Reactions: WVU 91

mountaineernewsservice.com/morgantown-airports-runway-expansion-wont-mean-commercial-flights

Here is an idea. Since you support USPAM and we are "not rivals" and play at a "lower level" and all of your other idiocy, end your TOTAL FIXATION upon us.

Nearly 2.5 years from your source, and it still hasn't taken place.

Show us the millions of tax payer money that has been spent on the expansion (which hasn't even happened) like you claim.

Why must you always post false information on here?

Lol. Yup trolling eerbilly idiot. Read the article.

WV, 50th out of 50 thanks to eerbilly logic.

The info is from your article. You claimed that Georgia is the #1 film shooting location in the world. Not only is the method used in determining that illogical, but it is also inaccurate.

India (Mumbai) is host to far more movie shoots each year than Georgia. The source you used for your bogus claim is only ranking the top selling films in the U.S., yet claims that means Georgia hosts the most film shoots in the world. It doesn't. It's entirely false.

Here is another idea. My tax dollars support not only WVU but Marshall as well. I don't have a problem supporting both schools. How 'bout I continue to read your board once in a while in a respectful manner as I usually do, and you stop saying your tax dollars went to pay for a runway extension in Morgantown that still hasn't happened.......

Reactions: WVU 91 and Ninegate
If you're dumb enough to believe that Georgia is the "#1 shooting location in the entire world," then you're dumb enough to believe Sam's blabbering fallacies.

Your blog does three major things that should raise red flags for you. First, it compares states (Georgia, California, etc.) to countries (England, Canada, etc.). Not quite the same, huh?

Worse than that is that your blog admitted the study only looked at the top 100 grossing films. The major studios put out more than 100 combined films per year, so this is simply looking at a fraction of overall major films.

Much worse than both of those is your own blog's admittance that the findings were only for domestic movies in the U.S. In other words, you are claiming the "#1 shooting location in the entire world" by ignoring all of the films produced/released elsewhere around the world. For instance, Bollywood releases many, many more films each year than Hollywood does. Most of those Bollywood films are at least partly filmed in India (namely, Mumbai). Since your claim is that Georgia is the #1 shooting location in the world for films, common sense should tell you that you have to include "the world" for your standard, not just the top 100 films in the U.S.

You're using the inclusive term of the world, yet excluding the overwhelming majority of the world by only counting movies in the U.S.

Let me try: "a recent study showed that Greenhouse is the most naive message board poster in the entire world" . . . based on only looking at some message boards only in the U.S. So, in reality, the study didn't really show you to be the most naive in the world; just the most naive in the country based on a small fraction of the U.S. message boards.

Now, go back to believing everything you read on the internet while ignoring critical reading.

I think it's common knowledge that Georgia is the Notre Dame of filming locations in the world.

Eerbilly idiots, the point isn't that Georgia is the number one location in the entire world.

THE POINT IS THE STATE HAD THE VISION TO SEE AN OPPORTUNITY TO TARGET A LUCRATIVE INDUSTRY THROUGH TAX CREDITS AND INFRASTRUCTURE PLATFORM OFFERINGS.

What's this mean to you? Nothing.

Why? Because your idiots and if any industry tries to come to Huntington you need to block it through legislative activity any way you can.

So I get that you don't get it.

It's okay your eerbillys, I wouldn't expect you to.

Now go back to your kerosene refinement for your summer past time.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
Lets just say I'm not stoopid enough to let a buckeye attorney convince me playing in state games that risk his career path but robs the state of millions is truly a lie of epic proportions.

You however , ARE.

Jeeesh. Get a life.

Oh and BTW get off the board.

Lets just say I'm not stoopid enough to let a buckeye attorney convince me playing in state games that risk his career path but robs the state of millions is truly a lie of epic proportions.

I don't know what is worse; you not knowing the difference between "your" and "you're" while calling somebody an "idiot," your attempt at a sentence which didn't make any sense, your attempt of "stoopid," or you believing that Georgia is the #1 film location in the world which you repeatedly defended only to then concede that you're clueless about it.

Why are you so scared to answer a simply question? What is your relationship with Marshall? Grew up as a fan, matriculated there, played sports there, donate, wear kelly green since the color distracts from your sloped forehead and slack-jaw?

Reactions: Ninegate
Why must almost every topic/thread posted on this board break down into the same individuals turning any subject into bashing WVU? I started this one merely pointing out monies lost to Flint's employees, tax dollars to Huntington, and potential money to support Marshall and/or the athletic programs by those who may have lost their job. Now some bash WVU for this and complain about an airport that was never built, etc.

Eerbillys let's face the cold hard facts. WV is now 50th out of 50 due to your logic. That isn't good. Why is JJ Gov? He went to Marshall NOT eerbilly high and much like Washington he will have a hard time draining and fighting the swamp filled with you idiots.

That said I do hope he is successful. The state continues its decline with you idiots in charge. An attorney from Ohio that wants to further his career at the expense of the state, and a drunk from Oklahoma that will at best sober up 12 minutes prior to game but would nail your 13 year old daughter in a NY minute is what the flagshit stands for.....not good eerbilly idiots , not good.

Oh and thank you for allowing me to complete my daily mission of bitch slapping an eerbilly idiot early in the day!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT