ADVERTISEMENT

Mountain West breaks up

The Real SamC

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 15, 2007
Boise State, San Diego State, Colorado State, Fresno State to rump Pac 12 (Washington State and Oregon State).

Rest left behind. $17M each buyout. Pac 12 is covering some (NCAA basketball money pays out over 5 years, so they have years of big payouts left).

- you need 8 teams to make a conference, so the Pac 12 is looking for at least 2 and the remnant MWC needs 1.

- obviously the Pac 12 doesn't want any of the remaining teams, so who do they want?

- would Air Force go to the AAC, which bent over backwards for its two siblings?

- how far east would they go? Could the SBC lose maybe Appy or Southern Miss?

I would think Tulane and one of Texas State or UTSA (both in the San Antonio media market) would be at the top of their target list next.

The question is what does the rest of the MWC do? Disband and everyone go off for themselves? Try to keep it together and add teams from CUSA west?

Eventually, one of these leagues is going to have to give it up and fold. I thought the PAC may do that and just have Oregon State and Washington State join the MWC. But now it looks like the MWC may be the league that ends all together ala the WAC.

What is the advantage that switching to the PAC12 gives these schools; does the PAC 12 carry privilege in the 12 team playoff, does the PAC12 get an automatic entry still? There has to be a reason the MWC teams would not force OSU and WSU into the MWC, something monetarily must be at stake, NCAA positioning as a P5 conference, TV right contracts, something. Anyone know?

Thought I'd try to answer my own question:

No, the Pac-12 is not guaranteed a spot in the 2024 NCAA football playoffbecause it doesn't meet the College Football Playoff's conference-minimum requirement. The Pac-12 champion is not eligible for an automatic qualifying spot in the next two years. However, the champion of a rebuilt Pac-12 may be eligible for an automatic bid starting in 2026.

The 2024–25 College Football Playoff will expand to 12 teams, with the top five conference champions receiving guaranteed bids. The remaining seven spots will be filled by at-large bids, which could include additional conference champions. The four highest-ranked conference champions will receive first-round byes.

So it appears to me that the PAC12 is striving to remain one of the Top Five conferences. I don't know that would be a "given" with the revamped league; could the AAC, the SBC, or others, be judged the fifth league over the PAC12 beginning in 2026? The way I read this, there is no guarantee of any conference in the playoff, but would could ever imagine a year where the current P4 leagues wouldn't be the topf four conferences.

Reactions: elginherd
Every single one of those schools is in a better financial place than we are so you tell me
They may be but they aren't getting shit for recognition, other than UCF - when they were there and Memphis, the league has dropped in stature. Now the SB is ranked better in just about every service that ranks leagues. So take the money, those don't win games. Charlotte and others are a joke. Pretenders. They may have more money but for the most part, those programs are down when it comes to performance on the field.
Heck, look at us, we supposedly dumped more money into the football budget and other the wins at ND and against Tech, hasn't helped us. Jmo

Last edited:
They may be but they aren't getting shit for recognition, other than UCF - when they were there and Memphis, the league has dropped in stature. Now the SB is ranked better in just about every service that ranks leagues. So take the money, those don't win games. Charlotte and others are a joke. Pretenders. They may have more money but for the most part, those programs are down when it comes to performance on the field.
Heck, look at us, we supposedly dumped more money into the football budget and other the wins at ND and against Tech, hasn't helped us. Jmo
We aren't blowing doors off in the on field performance department. Facilities are lagging so yes I'd take the money

Reactions: HerdOn555
he Pac-12 champion is not eligible for an automatic qualifying spot in the next two years. However, the champion of a rebuilt Pac-12 may be eligible for an automatic bid starting in 2026.

The 2024–25 College Football Playoff will expand to 12 teams, with the top five conference champions receiving guaranteed bids. The remaining seven spots will be filled by at-large bids, which could include additional conference champions. The four highest-ranked conference champions will receive first-round byes.

So it appears to me that the PAC12 is striving to remain one of the Top Five conferences. I don't know that would be a "given" with the revamped league; could the AAC, the SBC, or others, be judged the fifth league over the PAC12 beginning in 2026? The way I read this, there is no guarantee of any conference in the playoff, but would could ever imagine a year where the current P4 leagues wouldn't be the topf four conferences.
It is not the top 5 conferences, it is the top 5 conference champions. Which is different. The P12 could be ranked as the 5th best conference, but if Appy State was a higher ranked team in the poll, Appy would go to these playoffs.

As the playoffs play out over the years the issue, much like the old times when there was a Big Least/Leastleftovers becomes apparent. Someone has to be the 4th best conference champion. That is the "Big" 12 and the "Big" 12 is light years behind the three true major conferences. And they will get a bye, and get assreamed, every year, by the 3rd or 4th place team from one of the three true major conferences.

Below that, the P12 can call this the P12, but its not. It is one of the "group of 6". It will get the 5th place slot, now and then, but so will the other G6 conferences.
The AAC is still based on the same lie it has always been based on. Being IN a place is the same as being SIGNIFICANT IN a place. Leaving out ECU, which needs to get in the SBC yesterday, what is the AAC? A bunch of teams in big cities, where 99.999% of people follow the P4 team(s) from that state and/or the NFL.

That is never going to change. Memphis, or South Florida, or you name it, could win the AAC 10 years in a row. Most people locally wont care.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
We aren't blowing doors off in the on field performance department. Facilities are lagging so yes I'd take the money
Money is always needed and agree. Just saying it always doesn't equate with success. Most of the AAC schools were vastly overrated.

Money is always needed and agree. Just saying it always doesn't equate with success. Most of the AAC schools were vastly overrated.

How hard would it be to name the AAC currently, off the top of your head, without looking them up?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT