ADVERTISEMENT

MU v EKU game

Hope we’re both wrong and he can contribute sooner than later.

It’s gonna be a tough task for the young man to lose another 20-30 pounds.

Just from the short stint last night, I would venture a guess that he is going to contribute... What he is not going to be is a 38-minutes per night big man. It just isn't going to happen, especially at the pace that our offense operates.

With that said, I think Bennett can give us 15-18 good hard minutes a night, use his size to wear down the other team's big man, rebound and score some in close. If he can average 8 pts, 8 rebs, 2 blocks and 4-5 good hard fouls in 15-18 mins a night he will be an asset.

Just from the short stint last night, I would venture a guess that he is going to contribute... What he is not going to be is a 38-minutes per night big man. It just isn't going to happen, especially at the pace that our offense operates.

With that said, I think Bennett can give us 15-18 good hard minutes a night, use his size to wear down the other team's big man, rebound and score some in close. If he can average 8 pts, 8 rebs, 2 blocks and 4-5 good hard fouls in 15-18 mins a night he will be an asset.

I would agree with that. 8-10 solid minutes a half would help. But he’ll have to really develop to get there.

I thought we looked like we were just on another level than they were.

Isn't Marshall SUPPOSED to be on another level than OVC team with a $17M total budget, with 76% subsidy, a booster club that (according to the internet, I find it hard to believe it is that small) has 30 members, playing in a 50 year old 6500 seat gym?

Isn't Marshall SUPPOSED to be on another level than OVC team with a $17M total budget, with 76% subsidy, a booster club that (according to the internet, I find it hard to believe it is that small) has 30 members, playing in a 50 year old 6500 seat gym?
Probably. But we have not been in a long, long time.

The great thing about college basketball is 2-3 great recruits can turn an entire program for the better or the worse in just a year or two... See Thundering Herd c/o Burks, CJ and Elmore, Jon.

There have been several years where EKU has had a team just as good or better than ours. Let's not act like we are Kansas and they are Rio Grande.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Yes, I'll admit that Iran needs some work. For now, he needs to just fill the lane and let the game come to him. He will get better and more conditioned as the season plays on. I met his parents down there last night; they are very nice people, as are the Elmores.

We will, literally, run some people to death. At times, we get a little out of control, but that's just part of our style. Even though he didn't shoot well, Jon did his usual great job as floor general.

Needless to say, C. J. has improved -- so much better with his hands. And Jannson and Darius were certainly solid.

As for the newcomers, Ante showed some strong rebounding. And what a debut for Tavy!

Even intermission was fun: Some kid hit a half-court shot to win a free car!.

My take on the games is as follows:

Jon was off, by his standards. Missed free throws were evident of that. He just needs to find his groove.

CJ.....mid-season form. please dear God stay healthy.

Jarrod: Keep doggin people and look to dish when going to the basket.

Jannson: He's still trying to shoot too quick and not follow through. Banged his head trying to draw the charge.

Bennett: I like the kid. shouldn't be a starter. No more alley's to him.

Sustic: Love his motor. he rebounded well, but was lost at times on offense. glad he's Jannson's roommate so jannson can keep him from getting down on himself.

Beyers: Kid can play, but still lost.

Watson: If he controls his emotions he could be a BIG surprise.

Kinsey: Huge talent. if he keeps his ego in check and not worry about making espn's top ten, he will be a super star.

i really only have a couple of negatives. Our kids do NOT rebound. they do NOT play help defense if someone drives the lane and they don't follow their shots on offense. When another player shoots a three, don't stand there and admire it. go to the boards. I've been told that crashing the boards is not part of Danny's system. I'm not buying it. and don't tell me it will come and this was the first game. I was shouting this from the mountain tops all of last season.

Had we boxed out and rebounded (i don't care that we out rebounded them) we could have beaten that team by 50.

all that being said, We are VERY excited about this season.

Oh......a couple of other negatives..........Pronounce Jannson's name correctly and we don't want to see you're dang thumb, lol !!!!!

Last edited:
Hope we’re both wrong and he can contribute sooner than later.

It’s gonna be a tough task for the young man to lose another 20-30 pounds.
He has lost 50 pounds in the past 6 months despite not being able to exercise for two of those months due to his stress fracture in his foot and then his shoulder injury. To me that is pretty darn impressive. He has been a victim of incorrect information regarding weight loss in the past but now is on the right track. He absolutely will get where he needs to be weight wise. His problem right now is not his weight but his cardiovascular stamina. I anticipate this will continue to improve as the season goes on.

Reactions: Herdmeister

Yes. However it has been a long time since I've watched MBB and we looked like we were on another level talent wise than the opposing D-I team.

A lot of times it just feels like we havev to scrap for a win against anyone. This year's team just has a different feel. It felt like we were just toying with them.

Reactions: Herdmeister
So we get a win and I’m glad. It’s a positive start. My question is our “big” (Bennett) scores 2 points and Byers (whom everyone on here was raving about) gets 3 points and the resident expert who went to all practices posted on here the impact he was going to make. So Elmore and Burks combine for 50 but the “bigs” not so much. Lot of games to go but I expected a better performance from those two.
Byers is good and will be making an impact as the season goes on. He needs more playing time.

Byers is good and will be making an impact as the season goes on. He needs more playing time.

It will be interesting to see how minutes are dispersed on Sunday... Hofstra is a good team. I would venture a guess we wont be up 30 points in the second half to allow everyone to get in the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT