ADVERTISEMENT

My Post Game Thoughts

Aaron Perkins

Jan 9, 2006
Huntington
It just feels good not to lose to those guys. That was a pretty good football team and I think we will realize that is the season plays out.

It was great to see how we came out in that first half. We pretty much had our way with them offensively.

Like I keep saying. Doc told us ten years ago he wanted to build us a program. We played he second half of a highly contested rivalry game with our third string running back, in Sheldon Evans. And Evans and Green put the the team on their shoulders on that final drive. Over five minutes off the clock and never gave Ohio a chance.

Is Isaiah Green our best quarterback in school history? No, but he finds ways to win football games for us. We fell behind last night for the first time, and boom, back down the field to take the lead. Then when we needed it on the final drive, he ran the ball hard. He ended with 50 yards rushing and each one of those rushing yards was vital to us holding on for the win.

I dont recall ever seeing a sideline full of players so into a football game in quite some time. From start to finish, whether it was big plays early, or big third down plays late, they were up off the benches, and on the sidelines in tune with the game.

From my vantage point it appeared that had Evans needed to come out at any point int hat second half, Knowledge McDaniel would have been the next man up. He has switched numbers to 23. Lawrence Papillion is now number 28.

I am not sure what happened with Knox. He motioned to come out after two straight tough runs late in the first half, but jogged off normally.

Xavier Gaines is a difference maker. Coach Cramsey mentioned it multiple times during camp, and at events, he can do everything and he is showing it.

Now it is an off week, players that need to get healthy:

Obi Obialo - His health should completely change the direction of the season. Interesting note, I am not sure what his injury is. I saw him at the game Saturday, he was not in a jersey. He, by my calculations, would have a redshirt season if he is unable to play in more than four football games.

Joey Maddox - Jamare Edwards is really playing well inside in Maddox's absence, but getting him back would be big.

Fermin Silva - Silva was really showing what he was all about at Boise. He, like Maddox, was on the sideline in their jerseys, very involved in the game. I would be surprised if he wasnt dressed and ready to play against Cincinnati.

Brenden Knox - Well over 100 yards by half against Ohio. Doc mentioned he was dinged up. Getting Knox back is imperative with the loss of King.

My Players of the game:

Isaiah Green - Finished the game with 208 passing yards, 2 touchdowns, no interceptions and 50 rushing yards, including 37 big rushing yards on 3 carries on the final drive to close out the game.

Xavier Gaines - The new difference maker. He rushed for a touchdown, caught a touchdown pass, played quarterback, had a couple big blocks, and simply couldnt be covered.

Other Notes:

It was interesting to see Brandon Drayton and Derrek Pitts on the field at the same time.

Tavante Beckett played his best game in green and white, granted he has just played three games, but he continually laid big time hits on the Ohio running backs to the point that O'Shaan Allison was unable to return.

Crowd size and noise matters.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News