ADVERTISEMENT

Netflix: The Sixties

GK4Herd

Aug 5, 2001
I've been watching the miniseries "The Sixties" on Netflix. If you are a fan of these documentaries this series is very well done. It covers the emergence of television as a strong cultural influence, Bay of Pigs, Cuban missil crisis/blockade, Kennedy-Nixon debates, Kennedy assassination, Vietnam, civil rights, Cold War, space race, moon landing etc. As a young child in the sixties I remember most of this stuff unfolding on TV. The miniseries has 10 episodes. Worth looking at.

Also, they have "The Seventies" as well.

Reactions: andy4theherd
The 60's seem like a screwed up time to me.

It was certainly a unique time in our history. There were so many dynamics in that decade. Some of the things were screwed up, but the fabric of our culture changed in ways that brought about positive things as well. We were in a really bad part of our history with civil rights. Segregation was still largely practiced and we were a hundred years past the Civil War. The social change brought about by the civil rights movement was long overdue. We united as a country in advancing our space program and landing on the moon. We went from getting our ass kicked by the Soviet Union in the Cold War to being perceived as the dominant power in the world.

Vietnam opened a divide, but it was one that I believe puts us in a better place when it comes to war. The old guard still swelled with nationalism off the backs of saving Europe in WW2 and clashed with the younger generation that questioned a war that in no way resembled the traditional wars that their generation had fought. Let's face it...Vietnam wasn't like anything we'd seen up to that point. We were trying to fight a war using traditional methods that was anything but traditional. You would take heavy casualty takin a hill only to find the enemy had withdrawn and nothing strategically beneficial about holding it. You'd withdraw and the enemy was back holding the same piece of land. Television brought all of this into our living rooms unfiltered along with body counts each evening and it eroded the resolve of a country to fight it and question the benefit of even winning it. Hopefully we learned from that.

I think they have the 80s and 90s coming up soon on CNN of they havent come out already

Maybe it's because I grew up in the 60s and 70s, but the 80s and 90s just didn't seem as significantly impactful. That's probably a little bit prejudiced though. The 60s were loaded with events that were culture changing. The 70s to a lesser extent, but I do believe Watergate shifted the way we view leadership. What about the 80s? The decline of the Cold War ? The 90s? The fall of the Soviet Union? What were the events that shape society from those decades?

This much I know...the best music come from the 60s and 70s...and not even close. Am I prejudice on this? Lol

Maybe it's because I grew up in the 60s and 70s, but the 80s and 90s just didn't seem as significantly impactful. That's probably a little bit prejudiced though. The 60s were loaded with events that were culture changing. The 70s to a lesser extent, but I do believe Watergate shifted the way we view leadership. What about the 80s? The decline of the Cold War ? The 90s? The fall of the Soviet Union? What were the events that shape society from those decades?

This much I know...the best music come from the 60s and 70s...and not even close. Am I prejudice on this? Lol

The Internet and honestly as sad as it sounds, MTV

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT