ADVERTISEMENT

New WR coach

MUCO68

Silver Buffalo
Jan 27, 2011
I just saw this on the scoop...has it been reported here already??
Marshall: Jovon Bouknight, who spent the last two years at Kentucky as wide receivers coach, is expected to join the Marshall staff in the same capacity, Matt Zenitz shares.

I don't know anything about the guy... But when you Google him... First two entries I see are that he was demoted from WR coach at Kentucky to a "quality control position" and the next is he plead guilty to 2 counts associated with a May 2021 DUI arrest.

• Wow
Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I don't know anything about the guy... But when you Google him... First two entries I see are that he was demoted from WR coach at Kentucky to a "quality control position" and the next is he plead guilty to 2 counts associated with a May 2021 DUI arrest.
So at a minimum he’s qualified to be an assistant basketball coach here.

Sorry, but I'm going to have to wait for the analysis by the guy with the rifle arm before I make my take.
a quick look, a cynical person might say his career heading the wrong way. 10 yr at Utah state, Texas Tech, then on to Oregon then UK then MU....

Jovon Bouknight is in his second season at Kentucky, coming to the Bluegrass in March of 2020 after one season as the wide receivers coach at Oregon.

At Oregon, Bouknight’s receiving corps was an integral part of the Ducks’ 12-2 season that included a Pac-12 Championship and a Rose Bowl victory over Wisconsin. His squad improved the overall offensive output in his lone season, going from 246 catches, 3,222 receiving yards and 29 touchdowns in 2018, to 298 catches for 3,615 yards and 35 touchdowns in 2019. Johnny Johnson III, Oregon’s leading receiver, had a breakout season under Bouknight’s tutelage, improving from 17 catches, 215 receiving yards, 12.9 yards per reception and four scores in 2018 to 57 catches, 836 yards, 14.7 yards per reception and a team-high tying seven touchdowns in 2019.

Prior to Oregon, Bouknight spent three months at Texas Tech before taking the same position with the Ducks. The majority of Bouknight’s career was spent at Utah State, where he coached for 10 years primarily focusing on working with the wide receivers. He was also the co-offensive coordinator in 2016 and the passing game coordinator for two seasons from 2014-15.

His tenure at Utah State coincided with the program's most-successful stretch in school history as the Aggies reached seven bowl games in a span of eight years and claimed the 2012 Western Athletic Conference title. Utah State had only six bowl game appearances in its history and none since 1997 prior to his arrival in 2009.

In 2018, Utah State finished second in the nation in scoring offense (47.5), while equaling the program record for wins (11) and the Mountain West record for points in a season (618). Bouknight’s wide receiver group helped the Aggies lead the country with 29 scoring drives that lasted under a minute while leading the Mountain West and ranking 11th nationally in total offense (497.4). Utah State reached as high as No. 13 in the Associated Press Poll during the season, good for the program’s best ranking since 1961.

Bouknight coached several of Utah State's top receivers in its history, highlighted by wideout Hunter Sharp, who led the Mountain West with nine receiving touchdowns as a senior in 2015. Sharp also finished second in the Mountain West and 19th in the FBS with 71 receptions that season and third in the league with 76.3 receiving yards per game.

a quick look, a cynical person might say his career heading the wrong way. 10 yr at Utah state, Texas Tech, then on to Oregon then UK then MU....

Jovon Bouknight is in his second season at Kentucky, coming to the Bluegrass in March of 2020 after one season as the wide receivers coach at Oregon.

At Oregon, Bouknight’s receiving corps was an integral part of the Ducks’ 12-2 season that included a Pac-12 Championship and a Rose Bowl victory over Wisconsin. His squad improved the overall offensive output in his lone season, going from 246 catches, 3,222 receiving yards and 29 touchdowns in 2018, to 298 catches for 3,615 yards and 35 touchdowns in 2019. Johnny Johnson III, Oregon’s leading receiver, had a breakout season under Bouknight’s tutelage, improving from 17 catches, 215 receiving yards, 12.9 yards per reception and four scores in 2018 to 57 catches, 836 yards, 14.7 yards per reception and a team-high tying seven touchdowns in 2019.

Prior to Oregon, Bouknight spent three months at Texas Tech before taking the same position with the Ducks. The majority of Bouknight’s career was spent at Utah State, where he coached for 10 years primarily focusing on working with the wide receivers. He was also the co-offensive coordinator in 2016 and the passing game coordinator for two seasons from 2014-15.

His tenure at Utah State coincided with the program's most-successful stretch in school history as the Aggies reached seven bowl games in a span of eight years and claimed the 2012 Western Athletic Conference title. Utah State had only six bowl game appearances in its history and none since 1997 prior to his arrival in 2009.

In 2018, Utah State finished second in the nation in scoring offense (47.5), while equaling the program record for wins (11) and the Mountain West record for points in a season (618). Bouknight’s wide receiver group helped the Aggies lead the country with 29 scoring drives that lasted under a minute while leading the Mountain West and ranking 11th nationally in total offense (497.4). Utah State reached as high as No. 13 in the Associated Press Poll during the season, good for the program’s best ranking since 1961.

Bouknight coached several of Utah State's top receivers in its history, highlighted by wideout Hunter Sharp, who led the Mountain West with nine receiving touchdowns as a senior in 2015. Sharp also finished second in the Mountain West and 19th in the FBS with 71 receptions that season and third in the league with 76.3 receiving yards per game.
Everyone deserves a second chance. Hopefully he’s learned from his mistake. Sounds like a quality hire on the cheap.

I am not willing to see a guy’s life ruined over a DUI, which he plea bargained out of, BTW. The story in the Louisville paper seems to show the traffic cop (Erlanger, KY, a known speed trap) screwed up the procedure on the DUI, and they let him pled to a high $$ speeding ticket and open container. Probably all about $$, considering the jurisdiction.

Stoops demoted him to “quality control” and suspended him for a month.

Guy was making $320K/year at UK. SEC rates and SBC rates are a little different. CH’s contract says he gets $1.4M to split among 10 positions; Stoops’ assistants split over $6M.

Reactions: RhinoD
Just where exactly is the rifleman?
49290_sxm-plane.jpg

KY Sports Radio reports that Jovon Bouknight is likely our next WR coach. Some said there was no way this was happening but it looks close to reality now. Time will tell.

KY Sports Radio reports that Jovon Bouknight is likely our next WR coach. Some said there was no way this was happening but it looks close to reality now. Time will tell.
Well, I sure hope KY sports radio is correct. If they're not, Coach will have to update his twitter from being the WR coach and passing game coordinator at Marshall University and his location from Huntington, WV ;-)

• Haha
Reactions: W-S HerdFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT