ADVERTISEMENT

Not one!!!!

I TOTALLY disagree with you folks that feel MARSHALL is not deserving of a NIT bid. The HERD won 20 games....took MTSU to the wire Saturday (lost 83-72)...I will wager a lot of teams in America would lose to MTSU by double digits. During CUSA tournament play...Marshall tied the 2007 team from Memphis with 318 pts scored; set 3-pt shot made=43; set a record for 3-pt shot attempted==122; set CUSA record for assists==64.

PLUS...MU should have defeated a talented Cincy team on the road (93-91) and let the Pitt game get away from a win (112-106). PLUS they defeated NCAA Bound NC Central early in the year.

PLUS PLUS...America would enjoy seeing D'Antoni Ball....

I REST MY CASE, Honorable John Marshall.

HerdZilla22 In Charlotte

Reactions: HerditAllBefore
I TOTALLY disagree with you folks that feel MARSHALL is not deserving of a NIT bid. The HERD won 20 games....took MTSU to the wire Saturday (lost 83-72)...I will wager a lot of teams in America would lose to MTSU by double digits. During CUSA tournament play...Marshall tied the 2007 team from Memphis with 318 pts scored; set 3-pt shot made=43; set a record for 3-pt shot attempted==122; set CUSA record for assists==64.

PLUS...MU should have defeated a talented Cincy team on the road (93-91) and let the Pitt game get away from a win (112-106). PLUS they defeated NCAA Bound NC Central early in the year.

HerdZilla22 In Charlotte

Appreciate your enthusiasm but if we're being completely objective do you honestly believe a resume consisting of zero top 100 wins, a few close losses and a triumph over a 16 seed deserves a bid? Our RPI ended up at 110.

Just browsing the NIT brackets it looks like non power at-large bids went to: Houston, BYU, Colorado State, College of Charleston, Valpo, Boise State, UCF, Fresno State and Richmond. All of those schools have much higher RPIs and better resumes than we do.

Beg to differ....Mississippi lost to MTSU; I support The HERD measures well with College of Charleston, UNCGreensboro; BYU & UCF...Just my BIASED opinion. The 3-loss trainwreck that occurred after Coach Duhon was dumped by our AD......hurt our changes at 3 more wins.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Reactions: Chris McLaughlin
Beg to differ....Mississippi lost to MTSU; I support The HERD measures well with College of Charleston, UNCGreensboro; BYU & UCF...Just my BIASED opinion. The 3-loss trainwreck that occurred after Coach Duhon was dumped by our AD......hurt our changes at 3 more wins.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte
...and the loss at EKU who went on to lose 20 games. The loss to woeful S. Miss who almost lost 20 games. Just RPI killers, but a great run in the C-USA tourney, give us something to build on.

C-USA is a S*^t Hole Conference with 1 Bid to the winner of the conference tournament and none in the NIT. MAC not much better with only Kent St in the big dance by winning the conference tournament and Akron going to the NIT. It's all about the big guys in today's world.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

We really don't measure well, though.

Yes Ole Miss lost to MTSU but they have a couple of top 50 wins and an RPI of 77.

Charleston's RPI is 62 and they have four top 100 wins that include Ws over Boise and Davidson.

BYU was the only team in the country to beat Gonzaga and has an RPI of 65.

UCF actually beat Cincinnati and has an RPI of 69.

Greensboro got an automatic invite so their inclusion is irrelevant to this discussion.

Reactions: The Real SamC
There is no way for any reasonable person to gripe about MU, or LTU, not getting in the NIT. We do not deserve to be. Ten teams got automatic bids because if a team wins the regular sesaon and does not get in the NCAA, it is an automatic for the NIT. That leaves 22 slots. If you look at the list, there is no CUSA team that would not be a double diget dog at home to any of these.

As to the pay-to-play tournaments, like 999 out of 1000 people, I could not care less. Rice is one of the most expensive schools in the country and can pay to play.

It is baseball season. Move on.

C-USA is a S*^t Hole Conference with 1 Bid to the winner of the conference tournament and none in the NIT. MAC not much better with only Kent St in the big dance by winning the conference tournament and Akron going to the NIT. It's all about the big guys in today's world.

It has ALWAYS been about the big guys. Nothing's changed, if anything the little guy gets more consideration than 40-50 years ago.

No we didnt deserve an NIT bid. Despite winning 20 games, we also have 15 losses with an RPI of 112. A 20-15 record would get you in if you're playing in a top conf like the ACC, not for CUSA. We also had some really bad losses like Southern Miss (9 total wins), and EKU (12 total wins).

But why not CBI or CIT? Does our athletic department think we are too good for that? Is our program better than teams like George Mason, George Washington, Toledo, etc? Is it a fear of losing money in those tournaments? More games and more practices are never a bad thing for developing young talent. I just don't get the mentality of not playing in those tournaments.

We had a nice season this year, but don't let the last week sugar coat what the last month looked like. We lost to So Miss, got dominated @ODU, lost to Rice at home, and needed a hell of an effort to beat North Texas at home. We also lost @EKU earlier in the season and UTEP at home.

We were close to getting that Jankovic kid from Hawaii. If we had gotten him, I don't think we have those bad losses and we probably beat Cincinnati, Pitt, & La Tech. You're looking at a team with probably 25 wins and a Top 75 RPI. We were THAT close. We're building and I think we're going to get there. Just not this year.

Reactions: ohio herd
20 Wins with the schedule played + 3 losses to MTSU sans OSU and Cincy will not get you to the NIT - another benefit of being in CUSA.

Zilla - at some point you are going to have to come to the realization we and the name Marshall carries no weight , influence or anything else. The recruiting of Cabell , Wayne and Putnam counties is not going to get it.. that is if you want to see the hoops program elevate to the point of being able to garner some serious attention.

Last edited:
Losses to Southern Miss, EKU, UTEP at home, and one could argue UTC ruined us. We did it to ourselves, bottom line. We didn't beat anyone note worthy other than OU and that's pushing it, until it was tournament time, and then be beat LT. I can't honestly say that we "deserved" the NIT just because we made a run in the CUSA tournament. What you do in the season is what sums up your season. So for us to be balling, is was NCAA or bust. It is what it is, and it was self inflicted. Can't complain in reality.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Losses to Southern Miss, EKU, UTEP at home, and one could argue UTC ruined us. We did it to ourselves, bottom line. We didn't beat anyone note worthy other than OU and that's pushing it, until it was tournament time, and then be beat LT. I can't honestly say that we "deserved" the NIT just because we made a run in the CUSA tournament. What you do in the season is what sums up your season. So for us to be balling, is was NCAA or bust. It is what it is, and it was self inflicted. Can't complain in reality.
It can be boiled down to lack of defense that is the reason why Marshall did not make a post season tourney.

Richmondherdfan I'm glad MH not wasting money we desperately need to keep avoiding the "Pay to Play" tournaments. If you have not been to Huntington or West Virginia our economy has all but disappeared. And with an unpredictable football season looming ahead dollars are becoming a little more scarce. Not many businesses left in Huntington to donate/contribute to the athletic department and they are not going to ask the fee "big" donors remaining to foot the bill for a possible home game in a "Pay to Play" event. Besides, all tournament slots are now filled.

Marshall should have been shown mercy. We are so down the ladder of bad teams i dont know if their are that many teams that have no more to show than the herd. I have gotten use to going to the cam hoping the visiting teams are good. Mtsu was far better than any other team who visited rupp. Of couse that meana very little. We should join the naia or whatever ita called. Could we win half our games on the road them. Bottom line--dan did a decent job with D11 talent.

People have money for another ticket, that economy crap gets old. If 6,000 people come at an average of $15.00 each, that's $90,000, and I'd expect some positive income from concessions. Someone said it cost $25,000 guarantee to host, plus operating costs of course. Money isn't the issue, desire to play in then is.

Reactions: caliherd
Marshall should have been shown mercy. We are so down the ladder of bad teams i dont know if their are that many teams that have no more to show than the herd. I have gotten use to going to the cam hoping the visiting teams are good. Mtsu was far better than any other team who visited rupp. Of couse that meana very little. We should join the naia or whatever ita called. Could we win half our games on the road them. Bottom line--dan did a decent job with D11 talent.

I can believe that about Rupp.

I seriously doubt the attendance at a pay to play game would be 6,000 as we did not average that number for the season ( legit number of people in seats not tickets sold but actual breathing human beings occupying a seat) , the season is over , think football...lol

Reactions: Herd020
Gary, we were the 6th seed from the regular season in CUSA. Not worthy of a NCAA or NIT bid. And you bring up close games to Cincinnati and Pittsburgh? We lost those games, they mean nothing.

Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan
MTSU is no joke. They are the real deal

Agree, Sistersville, and all real Herd Fans should root for the Raiders to win a couple of games, or more, in the Dance. Best chance to improve the CUSA's image, not to mentioned the $$$$ credits such wins would bring to the Conference, which is in need of money.

HerdZilla22 In Charlotte

Yeah, Zilla, and I should have banged both J Lo and Kim Kardashian when I had a chance . . . . but, like the Herd, I let them "get away"! :p

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT