ADVERTISEMENT

OFFICIAL PICK THE SCORE THREAD Notre Dame

ohio herd

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2012
Marshall 10
ND 31

Only game this year I am not taking the Herd to win.

• Haha
Reactions: 19MU88
If we win it will be MU 27 ND 24.

However if we lose this game it's probably going to be a blowout. While I could see us getting an upset I can also see this came going a lot like the 2016 Louisville game. We'll hang around for a quarter to a quarter and a half, but then ND gets a big play that will open the flood gates and we'll lose something like 44-7.

I know much is made about defense being important, but the offense is even more important. Especially in this game. If we are not able to keep pace with ND, the defense will gas out, and then this game will get out of hand.

As I posted in a couple other threads it is important that Huff and Trickett call an aggressive game and push the ball down the field. Dinking and dunking most likely will not get the job done.

We're going to punch them in the mouth and punch them hard and punch them over and over until they are knocked out. If we go into "protection mode" at any time during this game we'll lose it.

Another key to this game and it should go without saying, but we had three of them last week. NO FREE KICKS OUT OF BOUNDS. For crying out loud the field is 52 yards wide.

If we win it will be MU 27 ND 24.

However if we lose this game it's probably going to be a blowout. While I could see us getting an upset I can also see this came going a lot like the 2016 Louisville game. We'll hang around for a quarter to a quarter and a half, but then ND gets a big play that will open the flood gates and we'll lose something like 44-7.

I know much is made about defense being important, but the offense is even more important. Especially in this game. If we are not able to keep pace with ND, the defense will gas out, and then this game will get out of hand.

As I posted in a couple other threads it is important that Huff and Trickett call an aggressive game and push the ball down the field. Dinking and dunking most likely will not get the job done.

We're going to punch them in the mouth and punch them hard and punch them over and over until they are knocked out. If we go into "protection mode" at any time during this game we'll lose it.

Another key to this game and it should go without saying, but we had three of them last week. NO FREE KICKS OUT OF BOUNDS. For crying out loud the field is 52 yards wide.
This is the type of game to go 90’s Boise State and pull out all the trick plays.

This is the type of game to go 90’s Boise State and pull out all the trick plays.
If you need to I guess. I have just watched too many games get lost because coaches try to get too cute and out think the room. Maybe you keep that SoL play in your back pocket. Also that was 2007 when BSU did that against OU.

Not sure that would be our strength and would play into there’s. For one, I’m not sure our WR’s can get off the ball and create space against their secondary. We’ve had issues with that in years past.
Secondly, their DB’s are very good cover guys, they did a really good job against Ohio State’s wideouts Saturday. Put that, with their front 7 being very good, especially their 2 DE’s there’s going to be a lot of pressure on our OL…..getting the ball out quick is going to have to happen….try to get some 1-1’s in space, get some downfield blocking…have a good running game.
Odds and matchups aren’t in our favor but don’t want to try and match big play for big play. That’s where we get in trouble in a hurry

with that said, I see Irish 38, Herd 17.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Odds and matchups aren’t in our favor but don’t want to try and match big play for big play. That’s where we get in trouble in a hurry
agree.

The dinking and dunking pass plays are designed to take some of the pressure off our O-line and get the ball out quick. For us to have a chance we are going to have to move the ball on the ground.

Teams with similar strengths and similar weaknesses through week 1... I expect our defense to play well. ND has a new quarterback who is bound to have ups and downs, they also have almost no returning experience at WR. If we can stop the run we should at least give ourselves a chance.

That said... ND is a top 10 program and their depth of talent is greater than ours. A Herd win would be the upset of the season at the FBS level.

Notre Dame -- 27
Marshall -- 14

I think all 20 point plus underdogs have to first stay in the game at halftime to have any realistic shot at victory! In my mind that means run the ball and stack our defense to stop the run. If ND can just gash us with their run game and we take no time off the clock by throwing incomplete passes or worse , we have no chance at winning. But if we're only down 7 at the half or better, time to throw caution to the wind and play like Comanches with nothing to lose.

My guess keep it respectable. Hopefully they are not a true #5 and we can pull of a fg win. 27-24. Herd.

A reach.

• Haha
Not sure that would be our strength and would play into there’s. For one, I’m not sure our WR’s can get off the ball and create space against their secondary. We’ve had issues with that in years past.
Secondly, their DB’s are very good cover guys, they did a really good job against Ohio State’s wideouts Saturday. Put that, with their front 7 being very good, especially their 2 DE’s there’s going to be a lot of pressure on our OL…..getting the ball out quick is going to have to happen….try to get some 1-1’s in space, get some downfield blocking…have a good running game.

with that said, I see Irish 38, Herd 17.
I still don't know of that's more on our WRs or the garbage schemes and route trees we use. Someone posted that they were watching Memphis and the announcers were criticizing their offense. Saying it was too simple/plain and not allowing the WRs to get separation.

Reactions: johns1124
I still don't know of that's more on our WRs or the garbage schemes and route trees we use. Someone posted that they were watching Memphis and the announcers were criticizing their offense. Saying it was too simple/plain and not allowing the WRs to get separation.
Wonder why?

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
point love GIF by andregola

If you need to I guess. I have just watched too many games get lost because coaches try to get too cute and out think the room. Maybe you keep that SoL play in your back pocket. Also that was 2007 when BSU did that against OU.
We are out recruited, out athleted(made up word), out manned, out resourced, etc, etc. We can’t/won’t beat them straight up. Not saying we can’t, just going to take some outside the box thinking in my opinion. I’ve never understood why coaches/teams at ALL levels don’t pull out all the stops when your chances are slim. Absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain. Give yourself a chance, hell, at least make Sports Center to help with recruiting.

• Haha
We are out recruited, out athleted(made up word), out manned, out resourced, etc, etc. We can’t/won’t beat them straight up. Not saying we can’t, just going to take some outside the box thinking in my opinion. I’ve never understood why coaches/teams at ALL levels don’t pull out all the stops when your chances are slim. Absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain. Give yourself a chance, hell, at least make Sports Center to help with recruiting.
What you say is true, but running plays you don't always run can just as easily end in disaster.

The only gadget plays we need to run are brining Fancher in the game to give that run threat, but actually let him have some drop backs so they won't know that if he's in the game that it's 100% run. We should use him the way Solich used Tettleton.

You roll Fancher out. If they come up to make the tackle he drops it over the top to the TE/Slot WR leaking out. If they drop back he takes off for 8-12 yards. OHIO did that to perfection. ECU was the only team I saw that could stop it. They just kept him in the tackle box with blitzes. However in our case Fancher is a lot faster and more athletic than Tettleton so if he found a seam he's gone for 20+.

Reverses, HB Passes, and the like can just as easily end in disaster.

No what would really be cool is do what ULM did a few years ago. Have Colombi and Fancher on the field at the same time. You don't know which QB is getting the snap.

I think you have to start the game with a "normal" offensive game plan you think can be successful and see how it goes for at least the first few possessions... If you get down more than 2 scores, then go for broke. The difference between losing by 21 and 35 means absolutely nothing if your all-or-nothing shots don't work.

The keys to upsets are almost always the same... Turnovers (especially by the favored team), 3rd down success rate (both ways) and 2-3 big, freak, lucky, etc plays that go the underdog's way (blocking a kick, punt return TD, gadget play that actually works, etc).

Reactions: Jartard
24 -11 irish.. defense plays great. ND scores 14 points by defense/special teams

• Haha
31-21 Herd (real fans always believe)
I believe but not unrealistic. It would like a crapload of bounces to go our way and none ND's way for us to win. Would love to be proven wrong, and if that happens I will admit to my dumba$$ pick. I think we will do better than most expect(which is way my pick is 1/2 the spread), but don't see ND falling off a cliff.

Ohi

remember when you laughed at my post!? Just wanted to get the last laugh!! 😂 thanks for having no faith
my $50 money line bet on the Herd paid $495. I just can't believe I let my friend talk me out of the two team money line parlay on Kansas and the Herd!!

Reactions: Herdfan1986
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT