ADVERTISEMENT

HERDNATION.COM Official Depth Chart Released

Josh Stowers

Staff Writer
Jan 19, 2007
2ens51g.jpg

Things that jump out to me (besides the QBs):

• Obiallo over Willie at the Z.
  • True freshman Dalton Tucker the top back-up at LT.
  • Cody Mitchell and Xavier Gaines listed as co-starters at TE. A lot of people swore up and down that the coaching staff was wasting Xavier and that he would transfer if the coaches moved him to TE. Well...
  • Merrell and McClain-Sapp as co-starters at CB.

Reactions: Dalton69

• Cody Mitchell and Xavier Gaines listed as co-starters at TE. A lot of people swore up and down that the coaching staff was wasting Xavier and that he would transfer if the coaches moved him to TE. Well...

I have heard how Cramsey played around with TEs in practice. Man I'm excited to see if it carries over!

Croom as backup at DT and Hodge not in the depth chart are a surprise as well.

Very surprised Hodge is nowhere to be found. I hope he hasn't already found Doc's doghouse.

Obiallo is simply better than Willie. He was better last year too, but was underutilized. He has terrific hands.

Very surprised Hodge is nowhere to be found. I hope he hasn't already found Doc's doghouse.
I don't think that is the case at all. He is moving down from LB to the DE/FOX positions so it will take him some time to settle in to the position and the coaches may just consider him to be behind the other guys at this point. He has a very high long-term ceiling so I don't believe there is any reason for concern.

Obiallo is simply better than Willie. He was better last year too, but was underutilized. He has terrific hands.
Yep, we stole him from Baylor. He was a 3-star recruit coming out of HS that walked on at Baylor and played as a T-FR. We were lucky Baylor did not give him a scholarship so that we could get him without him having to sit out a year.

Yep, we stole him from Baylor. He was a 3-star recruit coming out of HS that walked on at Baylor and played as a T-FR. We were lucky Baylor did not give him a scholarship so that we could get him without him having to sit out a year.

Oklahoma State. I believe the only reason he did not receive scholarship offers is he suffered a pretty nasty leg injury in his senior season.

Reactions: 19MU88
Oklahoma State. I believe the only reason he did not receive scholarship offers is he suffered a pretty nasty leg injury in his senior season.
Good catch Bleeds, I don't know why I was thinking Baylor as I have his information in my spreadsheet right in front of me. Probably too much multi-tasking.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
I'm REALLY excited to see our defense in action after seeing where some of the guys have moved in the depth chart!

I thought yulee would be higher. Perhaps the reason he is not higher is a good sign as you indicated.

No. Same thing we ran last year.
Indeed.

MU replaced one of the traditional defensive ends with the "Fox" position, which utilized a hybrid player who had the size and athleticism of a big linebacker/small defensive end.

"Which we thought was important," said Fuller.

"We looked at the roster. As coaches you say, 'Well, this is what we are.' But, then, you say, 'This is what we have.'

"And you have to make those decisions."

Another change in the 2017 defense was the safeties were noticeably more involved in run support.

"That's correct," said Fuller. "Yes, there was more of that last year.

"And there will be more of that this year."

There also will be some other subtle tweaks.

I'm surprised to see yulee on the depth chart where he is.
Our starting LBs are all very good and all three could end up as all-conference players by the end of the season. Yulee is getting groomed as a backup at the Mike this year so that he is ready to be the starter in 2019 and 2020.

Both sides of the ball indicates the future is BRIGHT. The HERD is a young football TEAM.....

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte
We are a young but experienced team. We return 21 guys that started at least half of our games last season and 25 of 44 in the 2-deep are upperclassmen, but we also have 5-6 additional upperclassmen that will see substantial playing time. The scary thing is that we will return 33 of 44 from the current 2-deep for 2019 so we should be very good next year as well.

Reactions: 19MU88
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT