ADVERTISEMENT

OK...now why won't you go to the MU games?

Herd-nificent

Gold Buffalo
Mar 13, 2007
Now that the "I won't pay for a poor product on the field" excuse is dead in the water, what reason will be used next for your non attendance at MU games? (I know I am preaching to the choir...but just had to get it off my chest)

The majority of the people on this site either go to the games or live too far. We are left by watching games by any means possible.

There is about 25K that will come to games regardless.

I think personally there is another 7k-10k that could come but they never come i. or attend games for whatever reason.

I think if you lowered prices and have all kids under 14 are free, you could have another 3k at games.

Family is in buffalo still, I’m selling a home and buying a home at the same time currently and am moving to Connecticut. This will be the first year since 1997 I won’t make a home game, just way too much on my plate

Okay here are some #'s for you guys. This is from the NCAA site for attendance
2003- 27,827
2004 - no data listed
2005- 26,510
2006- 26,031
2007 - 30,020
2008 - 24,766
2009 - 22,236
2010 - 27,046
2011- 25, 874
2012 - 24,856
2013 - 25,023
2014 - 27,461
2015 - 26,322
2016 - 24,760

We avg around 26,071 per season if you add up total attendance and divide by # of years. When you consider everything ( declining population base, size of student enrollment, household income and curb appeal) I say we are doing well compared to other institutions who are our peers.

Last edited:
Two reasons:
1. Because I don't want to.
2. It's none of your damn business!

Any other stupid questions?

Okay here are some #'s for you guys. This is from the NCAA site for attendance
2003- 27,827
2004 - no data listed
2005- 26,510
2006- 26,031
2007 - 30,020
2008 - 24,766
2009 - 22,236
2010 - 27,046
2011- 25, 874
2012 - 24,856
2013 - 25,023
2014 - 27,461
2015 - 26,322
2016 - 24,760

We avg around 26,071 per season if you add up total attendance and divide by # of years. When you consider everything ( declining population base, size of student enrollment, household income and curb appeal) I say we are doing well compared to other institutions who are our peers.
Wonder why the attendance bumped up in 2007?

Wonder why the attendance bumped up in 2007?
I am going to guess you already know the answer. We played WVU in Huntington and had an overflow crowd. We also played ECU at home. I would guess those 2 games alone brought the numbers up. To be honest, after sitting there and watching us lose to UNH that year I tried to erase much of that season.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Don't some school have blackouts until they either sell out or have a number of attendees reached?
I could be wrong on that but perhaps it could be something we could explore?

Family is in buffalo still, I’m selling a home and buying a home at the same time currently and am moving to Connecticut. This will be the first year since 1997 I won’t make a home game, just way too much on my plate
Where in Connecticut?

I imagine we'll have more attendance moving forward since the teams we are playing at home we have a history with.
Minus FIU, but they have a winning record.

In fact, our entire rest of the schedule has teams with winning records. So you can't complain about that.

Too hot, too cold, cloudy, too sunny, rainy, too late, too early, on TV, don’t play anybody worth watching, beer in the stadium, beer outside the stadium, peeling paint, rusting urinals, homecomings, soccer, “traffic”....

Does that cover it??

You forgot "they don't wear the uniforms I like! Black isn't one of our colors!!!!!"

In all honesty I couldn't believe when I heard someone say the last home game was "too sunny". I mean come on!

In all honesty I couldn't believe when I heard someone say the last home game was "too sunny". I mean come on!
That was me, and it was misconstrued. My kids and the older folks that were with me were having issues handling the heat and the sun, so as a result, a lot of the folks I went with either didn't make it into the game, or didn't stay for the whole thing.

This game isn't going to top 20,000 butts in seats, and I'll tell you exactly why. Close your eyes and just listen to yourself saying the following line:

"I was there the day Marshall beat FIU."

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Not excuse making, but we are in a new paradigm for live gate for all sports. The biggest of the big will be OK, because going to their games is like a life tradition, but everybody else has to work harder and even doing that, accept that reality is different today.

Every game, if you include the internet, is on TV. 90% of those being HD, some now even in 4K. Investing most (for those in the immediate area) or all (for everybody else) of your day in one game, and spending more for that than a month's worth of TV provider bills would be, is a bigger and bigger ask. I never miss a game, but it is, even for me, a harder and harder ask when I can watch it on TV and also watch the dozen or so major national games I care about in HD, really for free (I'm going to have TV and internet service anyway).

All that said, every marketer has to work harder. The days of just printing up tickets and saying here you go are long over. Stadium experience must be first class in every way. And I think MH is doing that, with the clean up, the beer, better cell phone reception, store, and so on. Next steps are probably more under stands room, better scoreboard, and getting control of more parking spaces. It is not an easy thing.

Don't some school have blackouts until they either sell out or have a number of attendees reached?
I could be wrong on that but perhaps it could be something we could explore?
That's a good way to lose the casual fans, those that have to work, and those that can't make it to the game due to living out of state. A blackout would have to include the video feed on the internet and the TV broadcast that some people record so it would just lead to pissing off a good portion of the fanbase that would include Big Green members. Its just not a good idea for a program that needs to increase fan interest.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the most pathetic aspect of the attendance discussion:
The student section

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the most pathetic aspect of the attendance discussion:
The student section

I usually just look at this stuff when I'm bored and never respond to anything.. but do I really have to explain this one to you? I'm a current student and haven't missed a home game in ten years.. it has always been that way..

Additionally, I turned on the Texas / Oklahoma State game on Saturday and there were empty seats!! Same thing with almost every single other game I turned on. This is something everyone in football faces, even NFL teams. More ways to watch, more alternatives, declining population, expensive tickets. We sell out one or two games every couple of years and that's just how it is.

Reactions: All4TheHerd
I usually just look at this stuff when I'm bored and never respond to anything.. but do I really have to explain this one to you? I'm a current student and haven't missed a home game in ten years.. it has always been that way..

Additionally, I turned on the Texas / Oklahoma State game on Saturday and there were empty seats!! Same thing with almost every single other game I turned on. This is something everyone in football faces, even NFL teams. More ways to watch, more alternatives, declining population, expensive tickets. We sell out one or two games every couple of years and that's just how it is.
I WISH we could sell out 1 or 2 games every couple of years.

I'm glad however that YOU attend!

Reactions: Baseball Rulez
The We Are Marshall movie is why.
Good point HerdFan1971.
After checking the 2007 record I see us at 0-7 with Rice coming to the Joan and us drawing 31700 fans to the game!!! Then finishing the last two home games with 26700 fans each.
Against ECU and UAB.
We ended up 3 and 9 that year with good attendance.
We Are Marshall!!

Reactions: HerdFan1971
True, just like how you feel about NYC, its how I felt about Hartford.

I don’t mind visiting nyc, but no way I’d ever live there. I don’t go into Hartford for anything. All the shopping is in South Windsor, I’m buying in Granby, CT. I can be in Albany in a little over an hour, Springfield in 30, Hartford in 40, Boston, the coast, and NYC in 3 hours. It’s not a bad area, but I’ll miss Buffalo a lot.

Reactions: Herd Fever
I once dated a girl that moved to Windsor Locks back in the late 70's. Tried a long distance romance with her for about 4 or 5 days. Once I realized I was 16 years old, broke, and without an automobile, I decided the chances of extending the relationship past a single week wasn't worth the phone bill, particularly when there's always local bimbos to take her spot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT