ADVERTISEMENT

Peneva Rumor

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
He is in town and rumor - under new NCAA rule, can play another one more year. Anyone else heard about this? IMO would be tremendous addition and welcomed back IF TRUE.

Reactions: kdbherdon
From past experience with our dealings with the NCAA they'll rule past any point he could actually join the 2018-19 season and even then the answer will be no.
.....Just like with Bennett last year! Adjin will be fine, but man I wish he had not hired that agent. I guess we used up all of our NCAA favors on that stormy night in Indy when Dedmon stood in the pouring rain pleading with that stuffed shirt!!! 48 years later...........zilch......

Reactions: Elkview
I hate this rumor because it supposes Penava left Marshall because he actually believed he'd be on an NBA roster this fall, and is back because he isn't. There's no way he could have believed that.

I think people like this rumor because it makes it sound like he wants to come back, which is a much better feeling than we got when he left, when everybody was still dancing over Marshall's biggest basketball success ever, and one of our best players basically says, "Yeah, thanks but I'd rather go ball in Vladisvostok."

Last edited:
Reactions: HerdFan73
Penava believed the bs that an agent was pitching. After not getting any meaningful playing time in the summer league games he realized that he made a mistake . He now wants to come back. He did not get paid and if they allow the rule to be retroactive then he will qualify to return. Anybody posting that it won't happen or that it is a done deal is just guessing. Nobody knows right now but coach Dantoni feels there is a pretty good chance that the ncaa will rule in our favor. Im not sure why the mods are so NEGATIVE.. serves no purpose

Penava believed the bs that an agent was pitching. After not getting any meaningful playing time in the summer league games he realized that he made a mistake . He now wants to come back. He did not get paid and if they allow the rule to be retroactive then he will qualify to return. Anybody posting that it won't happen or that it is a done deal is just guessing. Nobody knows right now but coach Dantoni feels there is a pretty good chance that the ncaa will rule in our favor. Im not sure why the mods are so NEGATIVE.. serves no purpose
Not trying to be negative, we’re just letting you know what our sources are telling us about the situation. That’s kind of the point of this board.

He did not get paid

According to what I was told, this is not true.

Nobody knows right now

I was told definitively that it wouldn’t happen.

Im not sure why the mods are so NEGATIVE.. serves no purpose

Due to my 20 min conversation with a member of the staff, I have no reason to believe it’ll happen. We spoke about the Bahamas trip, roster plans, and Penava’s situation.

Reactions: pdbailey and Sash19
I would not doubt if lawyers are involved somewhere. I was told (cannot substantiate this) that Ajdin was mislead by fictitious articles created by his former agent. He has admitted that he made a mistake and he wants to come back.As much as Jannson's mom and I would love to see him come back, it is my OPINION only, that it wont happen. We're keeping our fingers crossed. We spent a lot of time with him out in San Diego. He is a WONDERFUL young man.

According to what I was, this is not true.

Due to my 20 min conversation with a member of the staff, I have no reason to believe it’ll happen. We spoke about the Bahamas trip, roster plans, and Penava’s situation.
From what I was told he definitely did not get paid but just reimbursed for expenses. He qualifies at every level to return if the effective date is retroactive. I'm pretty sure the athletic dept would not be wasting time and attorney fees if it was such a 'long shot and no chance of it happening'... it may not happen but no one knows yet

Reactions: Garbanjo
Due to my 20 min conversation with a member of the staff,
We spoke about the Bahamas trip, roster plans, and Penava’s situation.

Gary'S weeney is going to get mad that somebody name drops and plays the "I'm important" role more than he does.

20 minutes is a long time. Did your knees get carpet burned?

Gary'S weeney is going to get mad that somebody name drops and plays the "I'm important" role more than he does.

20 minutes is a long time. Did your knees get carpet burned?
Rifle - why do you have to be such a giant douche’ bag? In the dictionary, if you look up the word “Rifle”, and where there would normally be a picture of gun, instead for you there is a picture of a
giant

http://www.bing.com/images/search?v...bags&simid=608050239314133972&selectedIndex=2

Reactions: pdbailey and 19MU88
According to what I was, this is not true.

The problem I see is the roster is full correct?

That alone is an issue, but there are other issues at hand.

1) Rule was not made for this situation

2) Finances would need squared away
Danny spoke with one America's most respected coaches last week about this and was told NOT to expect the NCAA to grandfather in guys from the 2018 NBA draft. The rule went into effect on Aug 1 and is intended for use from that date FORWARD, not backward

This has zero point zero percent to do with "lawyers" or "favors from the NCAA", or anything else. Nor does it have anything to do with "interpreting" a BLACK LETTER NCAA rule that PLAINLY states it is NOT retroactive.

Against all reason and common sense, egged on by whoever this kid walked away from what could be a special year to have the same shot as being drafted by the NBA as I had, which is zero, and, apparently, the same shot as well as playing in Europe. And then this fantasy story about working out in California for a year and trying again came out. Against the CLEAR and EASY TO UNDERSTAND rule that said if he did what he did, he gave up his eligibility. He gave up his eligibility. That simple. No lawyers, no appeals to the NCAA, no Donald Dedmon standing in the rain, nothing. He understood the rules, made a STUPID decision and now has to live with the consequences.

The best thing for him to do is to weigh the benefits of whatever he can make in one of the multiple minor leagues exist outside the USA vs. getting a real job and forget about Huntington, WV. The best thing for us to do is to thank him for his service and prepare for next year. Move on. Non story.

I can't imagine Coach letting him come back. I mean all of these kids have been busting their ass TOGETHER over the summer and will be this coming fall. What would it do to team chemistry and what message would it send to players?

Nothing at all against Pen, but he left knowing the risks. I wish him well, but IMHO, we need to move on.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I can't imagine Coach letting him come back. I mean all of these kids have been busting their ass TOGETHER over the summer and will be this coming fall. What would it do to team chemistry and what message would it send to players?

Nothing at all against Pen, but he left knowing the risks. I wish him well, but IMHO, we need to move on.
Danny would take him IF it were possible but as I said above, that isn't happening

This has zero point zero percent to do with "lawyers" or "favors from the NCAA", or anything else. Nor does it have anything to do with "interpreting" a BLACK LETTER NCAA rule that PLAINLY states it is NOT retroactive.

Against all reason and common sense, egged on by whoever this kid walked away from what could be a special year to have the same shot as being drafted by the NBA as I had, which is zero, and, apparently, the same shot as well as playing in Europe. And then this fantasy story about working out in California for a year and trying again came out. Against the CLEAR and EASY TO UNDERSTAND rule that said if he did what he did, he gave up his eligibility. He gave up his eligibility. That simple. No lawyers, no appeals to the NCAA, no Donald Dedmon standing in the rain, nothing. He understood the rules, made a STUPID decision and now has to live with the consequences.

The best thing for him to do is to weigh the benefits of whatever he can make in one of the multiple minor leagues exist outside the USA vs. getting a real job and forget about Huntington, WV. The best thing for us to do is to thank him for his service and prepare for next year. Move on. Non story.
he will get a job playing overseas

Is Peneva enrolled? I'm pretty sure an athlete has to be attending classes full time at the school he/she plays for....:rolleyes:

Do you not think there's good chemistry with Penava? Let's not act like he played here one year, balled out, thought he was better than the program, and left everyone high & dry--Hassan Whiteside style. Penava wasn't even a starter until 10 months ago. He paid his dues and I'm sure would be welcomed back with open arms from everyone in the locker room--coaches and players.

But with that being said, it ain't happening haha.

I thought one of factors in this whole scenario was the desire of his parents that he come back near home in Europe. Believe the initial idea was that if he didn't land with a NBA deal this year he would return and play pro ball in Europe. Then we heard that he was going to the west coast and work on his game, strength and conditioning, etc. Not sure if we'll know all the factors at play. As said above, time for all parties to "move on".

Do you not think there's good chemistry with Penava? Let's not act like he played here one year, balled out, thought he was better than the program, and left everyone high & dry--Hassan Whiteside style. Penava wasn't even a starter until 10 months ago. He paid his dues and I'm sure would be welcomed back with open arms from everyone in the locker room--coaches and players.

But with that being said, it ain't happening haha.
No, I thought there was great chemistry with him. If he comes back, then he does and he'll play.

I'm just thinking of how I'd feel if a player left the team and I'm the next man up if I bust my ass in the off-season, and 5 months later that player decides to come back. Bit I see your point.

I thought one of factors in this whole scenario was the desire of his parents that he come back near home in Europe. Believe the initial idea was that if he didn't land with a NBA deal this year he would return and play pro ball in Europe. Then we heard that he was going to the west coast and work on his game, strength and conditioning, etc. Not sure if we'll know all the factors at play. As said above, time for all parties to "move on".
Getting to Europe was NOT even considered. His mom was just interested in him getting some year round conditioning and not have to concentrate on school. That is why they signed with a group from Santa Barbara. There was very little expectation of him getting drafted. He was invited by the G League to workout a couple weeks ago in Chicago. IF a contract is offered, he will most likely take it.
As I have said earlier, Danny has been advised by a VERY big name NCAA coach that the NCAA will not consider allowing 2018 draft entries to come back to school with eligibility

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT