ADVERTISEMENT

Play of the Defense

HerdFan73

Platinum Buffalo
Jul 4, 2008
I’m going to present a counter point here. The attitude of most is that the defense played a tremendous game, and that the offense let them down.

I contend that the defense destroyed any chances we had of winning this game by allowing 21 unanswered in the first stinking quarter. The ease with which CCU was scoring and moving the ball absolutely sucked the life out of the place as fast as I’ve ever seen.

I commend the adjustments that were made, and the intensity that we played with for 2.5-3 quarters. But why were we so woefully unprepared to defend that offense from the start? There was an insanely noticeable difference in the defensive intensity, effort, and swagger in the second half. Why were we not prepared to defend like that from the start?

We obviously don’t have a team that can play from a major deficit. The #1 goal of the defense HAS to be a quick start.

We can celebrate our defensive prowess for three quarters all we want. But we were so thoroughly out coached and under-prepared in that first quarter, I don’t think the rest of the game makes up for it.

Reactions: Jartard and KyMUfan
Yep it’s the defenses fault when the offense goes 3 and gives coastal a short field. By the way fanchers qb rating was 16.5. But yes please blame the defense. I’m not saying had they made a stop early things would have been different but not being able to score and take time off the clock is not on the defense

Reactions: hwarwithin
Yep it’s the defenses fault when the offense goes 3 and gives coastal a short field. By the way fanchers qb rating was 16.5. But yes please blame the defense. I’m not saying had they made a stop early things would have been different but not being able to score and take time off the clock is not on the defense

Im saying it was a total team loss.

I’ll just say we have played 4 Sunbelt teams and are averaging 14.75 ppg with some of those points coming from the defense. I’ll say that they were averaging 435 yards of offense and 32 points. We held them to 250 and 24.

You are not going to be successful scoring less than 15 a game. Not only can’t we score but we are 3 and out masters giving the defense no time to recover. Our defense has played well enough to have us 7-1. We’re 4-4 due to the offense.

Quick edit, we would be 3-5 since the defensive score was the difference at Notre Dame.

The defense started bad. That's true. That horrible no wrap up "tackle' attempt on the 4th down on their first scoring drive was just unacceptable. If the defender wraps up it's a turnover on downs.

That being said the defense shut Coastal down for three quarters. Our offense once again could do nothing with oppotunity after opportunity our defense continues to give them.

Think about this @HerdFan73. How easily could it have been for the defense to throw their hands up late in the game and quit? They didn't.

We were talking about it last night that at this point I believe our defense is playing for pride and playing their own game. They're motivation is seeing how much they can dominate the opposition.

If our offense ever joins in we might be good. The sad reality is almost every major player on defense could be gone to graduation.

You know, both sides to this coin can be correct.

I was at the game and Coastal was moving the ball virtually at will in the first quarter. The defense wasn't ready to play and that put MU in a 21-0 hole this offense will always struggle digging out of.

However, the defense clamped down though I wonder why Coastal abandoned the roll-out they had good success with in Q1. Did MU effectively take that away?

The defense did give the offense a couple short fields that only netted 3 points. So while the defense did dig the early hole, it also kept us in the game and gave us a chance to win though the offense couldn't capitalize on those opportunities.

Now to coaching... Down 11 with time on the clock and a defense that had been dominating for 3 quarters why did you not go for 3 and put yourself in an opportunity to get the ball back which did occur when the defense held (again)...

Total team loss.

Defense Q1.

Offense and coaching - all 4 quarters.

Defense needs to practice tackling for sure. The adjustments were awesome. IMO, why wasn't a timeout taken to make the adjustments? 0-21 is tough to come out of.

I think its funny that the defense has one bad stretch, of about 10 minutes, and suddenly losing 24-13 is their fault?

In this day and age, if you only give up 24 points -- You should at least have a chance to win the game.

Have to blame something RD and when don’t know or understand what they end up clinging to something someone else yelled in the stands or think they heard on tv.

Penalties were the back breaker Saturday night more than anything else. Yes they’re going to happen but had 2 rough ones Saturday where one did take a TD off the board, and another took a potential TD off when Keaton getting tackled at the 1 was called back.

Penalties and a turnover at the wrong time.

Reactions: KyMUfan and RhinoD
Have to blame something RD and when don’t know or understand what they end up clinging to something someone else yelled in the stands or think they heard on tv.

Penalties were the back breaker Saturday night more than anything else. Yes they’re going to happen but had 2 rough ones Saturday where one did take a TD off the board, and another took a potential TD off when Keaton getting tackled at the 1 was called back.

Penalties and a turnover at the wrong time.

So you think this team can afford to give up 21 unanswered in a quarter? Any quarter.

I don’t mean to imply that the defense was The one to blame for the loss. We scored 13 points. That won’t win you many games.

But our first quarter defense intensity and result was pitiful. You’re also not going to win many games giving up 21 straight to start. They took the crowd out of the game.

I simply contend that the defense is just as much to blame as the offense. I dispute the “defense played well enough to win” argument.

Reactions: ru4_mu2
I’ll just say we have played 4 Sunbelt teams and are averaging 14.75 ppg with some of those points coming from the defense. I’ll say that they were averaging 435 yards of offense and 32 points. We held them to 250 and 24.

You are not going to be successful scoring less than 15 a game. Not only can’t we score but we are 3 and out masters giving the defense no time to recover. Our defense has played well enough to have us 7-1. We’re 4-4 due to the offense.

Quick edit, we would be 3-5 since the defensive score was the difference at Notre Dame.
Hey we did beat Notre Dame, to some that was enough of a win for the whole season.

So you think this team can afford to give up 21 unanswered in a quarter? Any quarter.

I don’t mean to imply that the defense was The one to blame for the loss. We scored 13 points. That won’t win you many games.

But our first quarter defense intensity and result was pitiful. You’re also not going to win many games giving up 21 straight to start. They took the crowd out of the game.

I simply contend that the defense is just as much to blame as the offense. I dispute the “defense played well enough to win” argument.
No, but they adjusted and at the end of the day those were the only 3 TD’s surrendered on the day…..the way the defense played over 4 qtrs was good enough to win….had enough chances to win….but a couple bad penalties at in opportune times took 7, a good chance of another 7 (would’ve been 1st and goal at 1) off the board. Penalties really hurt Saturday

No, but they adjusted and at the end of the day those were the only 3 TD’s surrendered on the day…..the way the defense played over 4 qtrs was good enough to win….had enough chances to win….but a couple bad penalties at in opportune times took 7, a good chance of another 7 (would’ve been 1st and goal at 1) off the board. Penalties really hurt Saturday
The D played well enough to win if the O would have scored 25 points. The D was lost in the first qt. The adjustments were great, just too late. I'll still question why a TO wasn't taken at least on the 3rd TD.
Unfortunately they don't give 3/4 victories.

There were no defensive adjustments, confirmed by Huff in his presser. What they did was use our speed and aggression against us. We over pursued on the option, didn’t maintain lane discipline, and didn’t play with our eyes.

Maybe that wasn’t beat in to them in game prep, but once they got focused, that was it.

I don’t have a

they gave up 21 points. That absolutely is playing well enough to win

It’s going to be several years before we might win consistently again but don’t count on it. We are now witness to what has happen to humanity as a whole because of A planned genocide now obvious to all who have a brain.
Marshall is not exception here who have failed to be diligent medically by going with the vaccines. All governments and all of medicine is guilty of genocide and profiteering.

It’s going to be several years before we might win consistently again but don’t count on it. We are now witness to what has happen to humanity as a whole because of A planned genocide now obvious to all who have a brain.
Marshall is not exception here who have failed to be diligent medically by going with the vaccines. All governments and all of medicine is guilty of genocide and profiteering.

Do what now?

First of all...wtf are you talking about? 2nd, you left your tin foil hat at my house.

• Haha
Reactions: ru4_mu2 and HerdFB1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT