ADVERTISEMENT

Question about the Cam

WV_Celt

Silver Buffalo
Jul 27, 2014
Barboursville
So, since I grew up in Morgantown and only moved into the Huntington area within the last 4 years, I know next to nothing about the Cam.

Would anyone be able to tell me why there aren't any events outside of Marshall sports held there? The Coliseum in Morgantown has concerts and graduations, and so on. A 5000 to 9000 seat/attended event seems to be completely within the realm of reality.

So, since I grew up in Morgantown and only moved into the Huntington area within the last 4 years, I know next to nothing about the Cam.

Would anyone be able to tell me why there aren't any events outside of Marshall sports held there? The Coliseum in Morgantown has concerts and graduations, and so on. A 5000 to 9000 seat/attended event seems to be completely within the realm of reality.
I think the answer is this. We have the Huntington Civic Center AKA Big Sandy Arena 2 miles down the road.

Yeah, that was where my thinking leaned toward. I guess I just like setup in the Cam better. I like seats, and the possibility of wrapping around.

To flesh out, back in the day, the main arena for the city was the county owned Fieldhouse, where the MU soccer field is today. It was a great place, but inadequate in size and growing out of date. The city was woefully mismanaged and refused to cooperate with MU and built what is now called the Big Sandy Superstore Arena. This building has been a financial disaster for the city to this day. A study a few years ago said the city could abandon the place and save money.

A few years later, MU built the HC, which opened in 81. Massive budget cuts resulted in the inadequate design features rather than the more traditional arena we were promised.

A "gentlemen's agreement" has existed informally that MU will not complete with the city. Also repairs to the arena mean the seats are not movable, with a floor space of just, well, the basketball floor. Not really laid out for anything else. Plus use for things like concerts was never designed in that the facilities for it are just not there.

There has been some MU off-season graduations there, a tennis tournament, the Globetrotters and some HS games played there.

The original plan for the HC went by the wayside due to some of the funding being diverted to Morgantown. Want to see a beautiful arena? Visit Athens, Ohio. Not a bad seat in the house, although some are in the nosebleed section.

WV_Celt it’s called air conditioning - specifically the lack thereof. Huge wasted facility.

The original plan for the HC went by the wayside due to some of the funding being diverted to Morgantown. Want to see a beautiful arena? Visit Athens, Ohio. Not a bad seat in the house, although some are in the nosebleed section.

Yep, muthed, State of Ohio and Ohio U. did it right with the Convo up in Athens. Cost about $8 million or so in the 60s, I believe. The CAM built in early 80s, bat crap design so it could be attached/incorporated with Gullickson Hall. Total cost in the $22-25 million range. Minor upgrades and some maintenance over the years. Under Hamrick, a lot more has been done to try and upgrade the facility, but nothing short of razing and starting over will come close to producing a first rate facility.

Yep, muthed, State of Ohio and Ohio U. did it right with the Convo up in Athens. Cost about $8 million or so in the 60s, I believe. The CAM built in early 80s, bat crap design so it could be attached/incorporated with Gullickson Hall. Total cost in the $22-25 million range. Minor upgrades and some maintenance over the years. Under Hamrick, a lot more has been done to try and upgrade the facility, but nothing short of razing and starting over will come close to producing a first rate facility.
$8 million is about right. It would cost about $60 million to build it today. Another nice one on a smaller scale is the Round House at UT Chatty.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT