ADVERTISEMENT

Question for Mike

Sep 18, 2010
You tell everyone we are a football school. How can you accept 1 title in 9 years? How can you accept 14-42 (or close to it) vs teams with a winning record? How can you accept an offense that is flat out embarrassing? How can you accept being average or below for a decade? How can you accept attendance on the decline? As a fan that tries to be silent I am about done. Why should the average fan (or any fan) ever spend a dime to watch this program? We are on the decline and have been for some time yet we are all supposed to ignore it? Why? Why are we so tied to Doc Holliday? Why does Doc get a pass for being a horrible head coach? Actually I am done.

Reactions: Elkview
I would rather bottom out and start over with a new coach than continue to pretend this is acceptable. Mike, it's over. Forget the baseball stadium save your football program cause you are eroding your entire fan base.

Reactions: Elkview
Don’t ever disrespect Mike or Doc by questioning their intelligence or ability. They are smarter then all of us and will gladly remind us. Everyone just shut up, get your green glasses back on and write your blank checks to Marshall University. All is good here, believe them or be damned.....

Last edited:
Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
The buyout is a lot more than $750k thanks to Doc's last extension. He is signed through the end of the 2020 season, so it's closer to $1.8MM.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Because Doc is a WVBoy who deserves a shot. Because no one else would ever want to coach here. Because Doc is a great recruiter.

(Sarcasm)

I always enjoyed the "because no one else would ever want to coach here" excuse. Anyone with a brain knows that plenty of young, up and coming, coaches would jump at the chance to coach at Marshall for 3 or 4 seasons to raise their profile.

I’ve always liked doc and the way he ran the program, like keeping the kids in check and getting rid of the ones doing bad things, But my time trying to cover for him is over...

We had Bill Legg for to long and I screamed for him to be fired for years, then they finally do it and I greatly rejoiced, but then they hire who I’ve call BillLegg2.0. he is exactly that...! we haven’t changed a single thing besides a Defense coordinator that doesn’t know how to coach a DB, our offense is piss poor, horrible game planning, come out flat as hell, have ZERO game management abilities, and nothing is going to change.

I think it’s time the whole staff besides the special teams coach gets wiped out and replace them all...... our teams slogan for years has been “We Play For Championships”

Doc sorry but you only have 1 under the belt..
Your Fired!

Hope you win Bowl game again this year.

Cramsey is likely going to be here another 1-2 seasons anyways. Just long enough for him to realize Doc has a borderline MR football IQ and will try to mircromanage with said low football IQ.

Guys, we just need more donations to the Big Green and football club so we can hire top notch coordinators. That is all we are missing from being the top of CUSA east!

Pony up fans, it is your fault we are mediocre.

You could have Steve Spurrier as your OC and Kirby Smart as your DC, but when your HC in game situations appears to override it all, your get the same predicable results. I have yet to watch a game over the past few years where the TV commentators don't question our play calling, clock management, execution and technique in pass coverage.

Don't blame Cramsey. He is not doing here what he has done everywhere else. I would say that is not his choice.

As I said when he was hired, for some reason our fans greatly exaggerate his past success.

The 2016 Sam Houston offense, under OC Phil Longo (now at Ole Miss), was the best offense in the country. They put up 547 yards of offense per game including 7.17 yards per play. Their QB won the FCS version of the Heisman trophy. They scored 89 TDs in 13 games.

In 2017, Cramsey inherited that offense. Their FCS Heisman winning QB was back. Their top two stud running backs were back. Their top 3 freakish receivers were back. Almost the entire offense line was back. Yet there was a drop off in production.They averaged about 10 yards fewer (not a big deal), dropped yards per play to 6.98, and had a significant drop in TDs by having 74 (15 fewer than the previous year) all while playing one more game than the previous year.

This isn't necessarily an indictment on Cramsey, but even with the same cast members on an offense who were now a year more experienced, the numbers dropped under him.

His previous stop was as the OC/QB coach at Nevada. He once again inherited much of the previous year's offense including the starting QB, the top 5 receivers, and their 1300 yard rusher. He put up 382 yards per game, 5.5 yards per play, and 38 TDs in 12 games. His head coach was fired after that season, and he wasn't retained. The year before under a different OC/QB coach, that offense averaged 375 yards per game, 5.5 yards per play, and 39 TDs in 13 games. So even though he inherited another very experienced offense, his numbers were barely better than the previous OC.

Before that, he was at Montana State. Before he took over:

2010: 452/game, 6/4/play
2011: 430/game, 6.2/play
2012: 415/game, 5.4/play

Below is what Cramsey's Montana State teams did. In his first year, he once again inherited a very experienced offense. He inherited a very successful starting QB, the starting RB, and three of the top four receivers (including the top two). As you can see, his first year really was no different compared to the previous year even though he inherited a ton of returning production. Of importance is the drop off in the QB play from the year before he took over compared to his first year with the same QB.

2013: 419/game, 5.9/play
2014: 489/game, 6.6/play
2015: 520/game, 6.8/play

Clearly, he greatly improved the offense after he was given a couple of years with it.

Prior to that, he was the OC at FIU for one season. There, he averaged 384/game, 5.4/play. The head coach was fired after his one year there, and Cramsey wasn't retained.

So out of the last 7 years which account for 5 different schools, there has been improvement in just 1 of those 5 offenses. Granted, much of that could be the result of him having only stayed at 1 of those 5 schools for more than 1 season.

It isn't saying that Cramsey can't turn the Marshall offense around if given more years. It does show that, based on his track record, fans expecting a turnaround on offense in one year simply wasn't going to happen under him.

It is why I preached on here that a team with a new OC, new DC, and new starting QB should not have the high expectations put on it that this board was doing, regardless of how talented the team was.

Reactions: johns_1124
I would not leave the National Football League for Marshall University. I would have to be in my 60’s age wise on the way out to accept the MU job. Look folks, you want big time, we are going to have to pay big money. New facilities type money for a Head Coach and Coordinations.

I always enjoyed the "because no one else would ever want to coach here" excuse. Anyone with a brain knows that plenty of young, up and coming, coaches would jump at the chance to coach at Marshall for 3 or 4 seasons to raise their profile.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh. You’re making too much sense.

Reactions: mubaseballking
I would not leave the National Football League for Marshall University. I would have to be in my 60’s age wise on the way out to accept the MU job. Look folks, you want big time, we are going to have to pay big money. New facilities type money for a Head Coach and Coordinations.

Big time ain’t happenin my friend. I think most of us want high caliber production on the G5 side.
We can’t even get that within CUSA.

As I said when he was hired, for some reason our fans greatly exaggerate his past success.

The 2016 Sam Houston offense, under OC Phil Longo (now at Ole Miss), was the best offense in the country. They put up 547 yards of offense per game including 7.17 yards per play. Their QB won the FCS version of the Heisman trophy. They scored 89 TDs in 13 games.

In 2017, Cramsey inherited that offense. Their FCS Heisman winning QB was back. Their top two stud running backs were back. Their top 3 freakish receivers were back. Almost the entire offense line was back. Yet there was a drop off in production.They averaged about 10 yards fewer (not a big deal), dropped yards per play to 6.98, and had a significant drop in TDs by having 74 (15 fewer than the previous year) all while playing one more game than the previous year.

This isn't necessarily an indictment on Cramsey, but even with the same cast members on an offense who were now a year more experienced, the numbers dropped under him.

His previous stop was as the OC/QB coach at Nevada. He once again inherited much of the previous year's offense including the starting QB, the top 5 receivers, and their 1300 yard rusher. He put up 382 yards per game, 5.5 yards per play, and 38 TDs in 12 games. His head coach was fired after that season, and he wasn't retained. The year before under a different OC/QB coach, that offense averaged 375 yards per game, 5.5 yards per play, and 39 TDs in 13 games. So even though he inherited another very experienced offense, his numbers were barely better than the previous OC.

Before that, he was at Montana State. Before he took over:

2010: 452/game, 6/4/play
2011: 430/game, 6.2/play
2012: 415/game, 5.4/play

Below is what Cramsey's Montana State teams did. In his first year, he once again inherited a very experienced offense. He inherited a very successful starting QB, the starting RB, and three of the top four receivers (including the top two). As you can see, his first year really was no different compared to the previous year even though he inherited a ton of returning production. Of importance is the drop off in the QB play from the year before he took over compared to his first year with the same QB.

2013: 419/game, 5.9/play
2014: 489/game, 6.6/play
2015: 520/game, 6.8/play

Clearly, he greatly improved the offense after he was given a couple of years with it.

Prior to that, he was the OC at FIU for one season. There, he averaged 384/game, 5.4/play. The head coach was fired after his one year there, and Cramsey wasn't retained.

So out of the last 7 years which account for 5 different schools, there has been improvement in just 1 of those 5 offenses. Granted, much of that could be the result of him having only stayed at 1 of those 5 schools for more than 1 season.

It isn't saying that Cramsey can't turn the Marshall offense around if given more years. It does show that, based on his track record, fans expecting a turnaround on offense in one year simply wasn't going to happen under him.

It is why I preached on here that a team with a new OC, new DC, and new starting QB should not have the high expectations put on it that this board was doing, regardless of how talented the team was.

Fire them all........!

Cramsey sucks, Fuller sucks, Holliday sucks and Hamrick sucks.....

I dont want to spend 2 or 3 more years building a team that will only get us as far as another bowl win

If you don’t win conference championships you will never grow fan base, money, stadium or a program...... I wanna see more championships F@$& bowl wins

Reactions: Herdmeister
Chad Pennington replaces Hammy as AD, Chad hires Leftwich as HC
Why would Leftwich leave a good NFL job as a QB Coach/interim OC for the Cardinals for a G5 HC position? He is on the rise in the NFL. Maybe in 10-15 years if he gets tired of the NFL or gets fired a bunch, but he's not coming now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT