ADVERTISEMENT

Question for the wvu lurkers

His development and recruiting of QB's over the 8 years was abysmal. Always one injury away from disaster if we lost 'insert transfer QB name here'
All trash talk aside, I've always thought his inability to develop a true freshman QB was what held his teams back. He's had more success developing a qb into a reciever than actual qb's being a qb. Grier came in playing at a high level so it's hard to judge his development under Dana. If you can keep getting Grier-esque transfers, then that's great but it's rare. Trickett's interception problems were made worse by the fact Dana played him knowing he was concussed. Howard had heart but just not the talent to be a great qb. If Brown gets the job & is a star (a Brown star) I think he's gotta actually develop a kid in order to give them any real shot. However, if Brown star does get the gig, he's almost certainly going the transfer route to try & win early.

Reactions: Stone_Cold
Are you really this stupid or is this just an act. We played for a National Championship in 1989 against Notre Dame. If we would have won, we would have been undefeated and would have been National Champs.

No, that's your opinion. There was no "National Championship Game" then. There were various bowl games. Notre Dame was #1, Miami was #2, wvu was #3. Miami beat Nebraska (#6) in their bowl 23-3. No guarantee that you jump them in the voting even with a win.

Ah, the big lie. You played a team that, if they won, they would be national champs. They did and were. You were not ranked number two. If you had won it was not guaranteed that you would have won the national championship. Miami was #2 and handily won their bowl. They most likely would have gotten the trophy.

You are lying through your teeth. Had we won, we would have been National Champions, end of story. You’re honestly pathetic and are grasping at straws. I’ve tried to be respectful and explained I want Marshall to succeed, but you choose to lie due to your jealousy of the flagship institution of WV.

“The 1989 Fiesta Bowl, which featured West Virginia vs. Notre Dame for the national championship, is not a popular topic with either Arizona assistant coach.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.azcentral.com/amp/20457155

“The 1989 Fiesta Bowl featured top-ranked Notre Dame and No. 3 West Virginia, the second game in three years that decided college football’s national championship. The Fiesta Bowl was back in the spotlight.”

https://fiestabowl.org/game-history/fiesta-bowl/18th-annual-fiesta-bowl/

Reactions: countryroads89
Sorry buddy, that's still just opinion. Post a link that shows the majority of AP or voting coaches would have voted wvu #1 if they beat Notre Dame, then you have something. Miami was #2 won their bowl and played a much harder schedule than wvu. Heck, they received first place votes in the final poll even after the bowl games, ND was not unanimous.

Just like you guys claim you were "undefeated" in 1988 and 1993, you like to claim you played for a national championship. It's almost as sad as UCF claiming a national title for 2017.

Sorry buddy, that's still just opinion. Post a link that shows the majority of AP or voting coaches would have voted wvu #1 if they beat Notre Dame, then you have something. Miami was #2 won their bowl and played a much harder schedule than wvu. Heck, they received first place votes in the final poll even after the bowl games, ND was not unanimous.

Just like you guys claim you were "undefeated" in 1988 and 1993, you like to claim you played for a national championship. It's almost as sad as UCF claiming a national title for 2017.

What’s sad is how pathetic you are. You’d rather lie about anything to denigrate WVU rather than just giving the program its due. You can’t argue with an idiot.

Maybe because most of the wvu fan base treats Marshall has second class citizens.
It was Big Mouth Bobby who called out Rich Fraud with the chicken suit and "If yer skeered get a dawg" crack. It was Danny who called out Huggy with the "We're back" crack and kept digging at him after we put Hillbilly Ball in its place in San Diego last March.

It was Big Mouth Bobby who called out Rich Fraud with the chicken suit and "If yer skeered get a dawg" crack.

LOL, we can always count on Dan to bring up this urban legend. Something this outrageous occurred, yet the photographs are apparently kept in the Smithsonian, next to the unicorn photos, and no one is allowed to see them.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Don't kid yourself. They cheered for us because they would rather play a 13 seed instead of a 4.

This is why your credibility is shyt. You just assume things that are not true, and you get your facts from message boards. Lots of WVU fans were genuinely rooting for Marshall. You just don't want to acknowledge or believe it because that would take away from your claims of disingenuous fans and then you would be stuck with nothing to post about and your life would be miserable... well more miserable.

In this thread we see much of the delusion necessary to follow WVU sports, and why nobody over 12 who is unwilling to suspend disbelief, can.

- "WVU has this long history of football acomplishment". No, to quote its former AD, now promoting the new XFL, a combination of pro wrestling and football, "the Big East (sic) was not major college football". Pre-B12 the WVU game plan was to play as light a schedule as possible, and tell its mind numbed fanbase that what they were seeing was somehow the same as what happened in national programs. It was not.

- "WVU wouda coulda shoulda won the 88 national championship". WVU, as typical, played a cupcake schedule in 88, and, to be fair, was 11-0. And probably no better than the 15th or so best team in the country. (Which is the high water mark of WVU football to this day). Notre Dame assreamed the team, scoring at will. They were the first legitimate team WVU had played. More broadly, that was WVU in the pre-B12 era. Play cupcakes, tell the ignorant that Temple=Alabama, etc. Go to bowl, be assreamed.

- "WVU gets a lot of big recruits". This is the most ignorant of all the WVU idiocy. Think about it. Outside of the rare kid FROM WV (and most of them leave) or some other relationship with the state, is there ANY 12 year old boy praying tonight "please, God, let me grow up to play for WVU" ? If you believe that, you are an idiot, pure and simple. When Crap-ridi, et al, tell you that "you" beat out true national programs he lists, for a recruit, he is lying, and he knows he is lying, and he is laughing at you. Players SETTLE for WVU after their childhood dreams are shattered. Pure and simple.

- "We is getting elevently billions dollars" (for being a field filler in the Big 2, Little 8). Let me explain this slowly. WVU sports, according to the USA Today data base taken from NCAA records in a money losing proposition. That simple. (and yelling "NO" really loudly does not change that, take it up with USAT, not me, I just quote it prints, which is what WVU reported to the NCAA). Fine. The B12 is run differently than the other conferences in that the so-called third tier rights are retained by the school. WVU, the second smallest state to have a P5 program, sells its to an obscure Pirates channel. Not only do the Big 2 get factors of ten more for those rights, but the remainder of the Little 8 do as well, as they represent larger fan bases in larger states with greater prosperity. But go past that to the league rights. Yes, WVU takes in designated victim money from the true national programs. So does Purdue, or Minnesota, or Georgia Tech, or Oregon State or whoever. And? First, times change. Not that long from now, the TV deals all expire. And, the SEC and Pac 12 are going to make a play for the Big 2 again, and if they can make the math work, welcome home to your ancestral home, the AAC, FKA the "big" Least, AKA the Leastleftovers. But, even if the B12 survives and you get another 10-15 years of payoff from the Big 2, so what? THAT is what you wanted to be? You really are proud of being the Washington Generals?

- "I root for MU when they are not playing WVU." I take you at your word. But, two things. A lot of non-alumni WVU fans do not, and most are insulting know-nothings who, when yet another certain victory turns, as always, to ****, have "But Marshall..." as their last refuge. But more importantly, leaving out sports, what is good for WVU is bad for WV, and v-v. The WVU management uses sports to influence the state govenment, and WVU is a black hole. That simple. As to basketball, at one time MU was way ahead of WVU in that sport, which is why WVU refuesed to play in that era. That is DD's era. Then we played for a long time at about even, and then WVU moved up and we moved down with a succession of moron coaches. There is no real purpose in us playing anymore and we need to move on.

- "BP called out WVU in the 90s". BP was trying to build a program and it was all in fun. He and DN were and are friends and they knew it was in jest. In THAT era, with WVU papering the house with heavily discounted tickets and still playing before plenty of empties, playing MU meant a full house at full price. Those days are gone and, no, MU should forget about playing WVU in THIS era. WVU, although it still sells tickets WAY below true national level programs and has a WAY bigger (esentually free, in game day revenue terms) student section than most true national level programs, come close to sellouts, now. Thus we have less to offer. See me in 10 years when the Big 2 cut you off and you are swearing to be damned that beating East Carolina or Tulane is just like beating Alabama and Clemson.

In this thread we see much of the delusion necessary to follow WVU sports, and why nobody over 12 who is unwilling to suspend disbelief, can.

- "WVU has this long history of football acomplishment". No, to quote its former AD, now promoting the new XFL, a combination of pro wrestling and football, "the Big East (sic) was not major college football". Pre-B12 the WVU game plan was to play as light a schedule as possible, and tell its mind numbed fanbase that what they were seeing was somehow the same as what happened in national programs. It was not.

- "WVU wouda coulda shoulda won the 88 national championship". WVU, as typical, played a cupcake schedule in 88, and, to be fair, was 11-0. And probably no better than the 15th or so best team in the country. (Which is the high water mark of WVU football to this day). Notre Dame assreamed the team, scoring at will. They were the first legitimate team WVU had played. More broadly, that was WVU in the pre-B12 era. Play cupcakes, tell the ignorant that Temple=Alabama, etc. Go to bowl, be assreamed.

- "WVU gets a lot of big recruits". This is the most ignorant of all the WVU idiocy. Think about it. Outside of the rare kid FROM WV (and most of them leave) or some other relationship with the state, is there ANY 12 year old boy praying tonight "please, God, let me grow up to play for WVU" ? If you believe that, you are an idiot, pure and simple. When Crap-ridi, et al, tell you that "you" beat out true national programs he lists, for a recruit, he is lying, and he knows he is lying, and he is laughing at you. Players SETTLE for WVU after their childhood dreams are shattered. Pure and simple.

- "We is getting elevently billions dollars" (for being a field filler in the Big 2, Little 8). Let me explain this slowly. WVU sports, according to the USA Today data base taken from NCAA records in a money losing proposition. That simple. (and yelling "NO" really loudly does not change that, take it up with USAT, not me, I just quote it prints, which is what WVU reported to the NCAA). Fine. The B12 is run differently than the other conferences in that the so-called third tier rights are retained by the school. WVU, the second smallest state to have a P5 program, sells its to an obscure Pirates channel. Not only do the Big 2 get factors of ten more for those rights, but the remainder of the Little 8 do as well, as they represent larger fan bases in larger states with greater prosperity. But go past that to the league rights. Yes, WVU takes in designated victim money from the true national programs. So does Purdue, or Minnesota, or Georgia Tech, or Oregon State or whoever. And? First, times change. Not that long from now, the TV deals all expire. And, the SEC and Pac 12 are going to make a play for the Big 2 again, and if they can make the math work, welcome home to your ancestral home, the AAC, FKA the "big" Least, AKA the Leastleftovers. But, even if the B12 survives and you get another 10-15 years of payoff from the Big 2, so what? THAT is what you wanted to be? You really are proud of being the Washington Generals?

- "I root for MU when they are not playing WVU." I take you at your word. But, two things. A lot of non-alumni WVU fans do not, and most are insulting know-nothings who, when yet another certain victory turns, as always, to ****, have "But Marshall..." as their last refuge. But more importantly, leaving out sports, what is good for WVU is bad for WV, and v-v. The WVU management uses sports to influence the state govenment, and WVU is a black hole. That simple. As to basketball, at one time MU was way ahead of WVU in that sport, which is why WVU refuesed to play in that era. That is DD's era. Then we played for a long time at about even, and then WVU moved up and we moved down with a succession of moron coaches. There is no real purpose in us playing anymore and we need to move on.

- "BP called out WVU in the 90s". BP was trying to build a program and it was all in fun. He and DN were and are friends and they knew it was in jest. In THAT era, with WVU papering the house with heavily discounted tickets and still playing before plenty of empties, playing MU meant a full house at full price. Those days are gone and, no, MU should forget about playing WVU in THIS era. WVU, although it still sells tickets WAY below true national level programs and has a WAY bigger (esentually free, in game day revenue terms) student section than most true national level programs, come close to sellouts, now. Thus we have less to offer. See me in 10 years when the Big 2 cut you off and you are swearing to be damned that beating East Carolina or Tulane is just like beating Alabama and Clemson.

I honestly feel sorry for you.

What a comeback. Enjoy watching "your" (same words as on your road card, no actual relationship) fail to live up to what they told you it was.

Again.

It was Big Mouth Bobby who called out Rich Fraud with the chicken suit and "If yer skeered get a dawg" crack. It was Danny who called out Huggy with the "We're back" crack and kept digging at him after we put Hillbilly Ball in its place in San Diego last March.

let's see a photo of the chicken suit...urban legend or more accurately, eerdiot lies passed on and on.

I've heard this story from eers in several formats...sometimes it's Dan Angel wearing the suit. #eerdiots

growing up I always liked wvu . Then I was introduced to the wvu fans who treated us like pond scum. After that I never rooted for them again. Today I don't root against the eers I just don't follow them much. I have lived in Ohio now for 26 years so my "other team" is the Ohio State Bucks. I will say I was encouraged by the fact the blue and gold rooted for us last year when we played WSU in the tourney.

I was there. The TV announcer said that they were, but I didn't get much of a vibe the eerdiots rooted much one way or another.

Reactions: ohio herd
The same could be said about a large portion of Marshall fans.

Oh horseshit. You rarely see white trash/whiggers in Huntington in MU gear. There's a reason MU's fanbase is small, and that's because it is primarily actual alumni.

But the jobless, drug addicted, welfare receiving great unwashed masses of WV? Sporting that flying WV. Don't be personally offended by it, the same holds true for UK, tOSU, and some other programs.

No one actually reads Sam's rants... I just see a diatribe, laugh that he spent all of that time writing it, then move on.

You are lying through your teeth. Had we won, we would have been National Champions, end of story. You’re honestly pathetic and are grasping at straws. I’ve tried to be respectful and explained I want Marshall to succeed, but you choose to lie due to your jealousy of the flagship institution of WV.

“The 1989 Fiesta Bowl, which featured West Virginia vs. Notre Dame for the national championship, is not a popular topic with either Arizona assistant coach.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.azcentral.com/amp/20457155

“The 1989 Fiesta Bowl featured top-ranked Notre Dame and No. 3 West Virginia, the second game in three years that decided college football’s national championship. The Fiesta Bowl was back in the spotlight.”

https://fiestabowl.org/game-history/fiesta-bowl/18th-annual-fiesta-bowl/
It was not guaranteed wvu would be national champs. In fact during that time there could have been split national champs like GA Tech and Colorado each claiming a title. Why do you think automatically you would have jumped the #2 team who beat #6 team by 3 touch downs. It was not guaranteed.

Reactions: 19MU88
The truth is that in your history you are only 121-136-5 against teams that are currently in a P5 conference.
I don't know where you get your "truth", but your numbers are way, way off. Hell, WVU has 142 losses against just Pitt, Penn State, and Syracuse!

The real truth is that over half (656) of WVU's 1292 football games have been against teams that are currently in P5 conferences. WVU is 297-345-14 against teams that are currently in P5 conferences. (WVU is 248-236-9 against P5 schools not named Pitt or Penn State.) WVU has played all but 8 P5 schools at least once; the exceptions are Arizona, UCLA, Washington, and Wash. State from the Pac 12, Iowa, Minnesota, and Northwestern from the B1G, and Arkansas from the SEC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
I don't know where you get your "truth", but your numbers are way, way off. Hell, WVU has 142 losses against just Pitt, Penn State, and Syracuse!

The real truth is that over half (656) of WVU's 1292 football games have been against teams that are currently in P5 conferences. WVU is 297-345-14 against teams that are currently in P5 conferences. (WVU is 248-236-9 against P5 schools not named Pitt or Penn State.) WVU has played all but 8 P5 schools at least once; the exceptions are Arizona, UCLA, Washington, and Wash. State from the Pac 12, Iowa, Minnesota, and Northwestern from the B1G, and Arkansas from the SEC.

Psst. Don’t mention anything about being the 15th winningest program in all time history. That one really sets them off. They go bezerk and start shooting off all kinds of nonsense that has no factual basis.

Psst. Don’t mention anything about being the 15th winningest program in all time history. That one really sets them off. They go bezerk and start shooting off all kinds of nonsense that has no factual basis.

I have an easy way for you to avoid what "they" (we) say. End your fixation on Marshall and get off Marshall boards. But, of course, that won't happen. Because, after yet another failed season, all you have left in your empty little life is "But Marshall..."

And, BTW, pointing out that half of "your" (same words as on your parole, no actual relationship) games were versus lower level competition, and that "you" have a losing record versus even the bottom feeder P5ers "you" played the other half of the time, and are purely owned by the 3 actual live pulse teams "you" played back in the day is really not a great comeback.

Go away.

I actually thought WVU was #14 on the all time wins listing.

Last I knew, of all the top 14 or 15 teams on that list, only a single team on that list has never won a national title. Take a wild guess which one that would be.

And, BTW, pointing out that half of "your" games were versus lower level competition, and that "you" have a losing record versus even the bottom feeder P5ers "you" played the other half of the time...
I pointed out that WVU is 248-236-9 vs P5 schools other than Pitt and Penn State. How does that translate into WVU having a losing record against all other P5 schools, let alone P5 bottom feeders?

I pointed out that WVU is 248-236-9 vs P5 schools other than Pitt and Penn State. How does that translate into WVU having a losing record against all other P5 schools, let alone P5 bottom feeders?

I must have missed it, but why cherry pick those stats, other than to make your overall record look deceivingly better?

I must have missed it, but why cherry pick those stats, other than to make your overall record look deceivingly better?
I am a WVU fan and graduate. Of course I am going to shed a favorable light on my school's accomplishments. But I posted WVU's overall P5 record as well.

Reactions: mlblack16.
Actually my math, as usual, is spot on. What is off is the way I worded it. My numbers are for games played against teams that were in one of the current P5 conferences at the time the game was played. For example, wvu has never played Penn State while they have been a member of a P5 conference, so luckily for wvu, those pathetic results aren't in my number. Same deal with Pitt, haven't played them since they joined a P5 conference.

My number was meant to be a more recent look at their performance plus games they played against traditional big conference schools in the past. You know, the games where they couldn't pad their stats by playing lower conference, lower division, etc. teams. They claim all those independents they use to play were so great, but the way they have performed since joining conferences shows that was mostly smoke and mirrors. All the independents that came together in the BE have struggled in real conferences.

Reactions: 19MU88
I actually thought WVU was #14 on the all time wins listing.

Last I knew, of all the top 14 or 15 teams on that list, only a single team on that list has never won a national title. Take a wild guess which one that would be.

This has always been one of my favorite stats because it perfectly sums up the eternal cocktease that is WVU fandom.

His(her) posts, in my opinion, are the best quality on this site. Pithy, humorous, thoughtful, outrageous, troll, droll, you name it banker covers it.

The BANKER is a supreme poster.
...he has his Sh*t together......Always has....

HerdZilla22 in RAINY Charlotte.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT