ADVERTISEMENT

Question for the wvu lurkers

I try and stay objective on WVU. Dana did have to go, I think we saw his ceiling and we wanted more. I think Dana is a Top 40 coach. I think Brown is better and we can do better. WVU is not elite, but we do generate a ton of revenue and can pay for a Top 10-25 level coach without issue. Brown will make good money and we can afford to pay him close to the $5 million range if he does well. $5 million is right around the 10th highest paid in the country.

I will say this as well. Since Rich left, our fanbase has been divided on our coach. You had Stewart (RIP), HCIW Dana fiasco, etc... Brown will be the first coach in a while that unites the fanbase. Young, energetic, innovative, etc... He will do well.

Reactions: putnam green
I try and stay objective on WVU. Dana did have to go, I think we saw his ceiling and we wanted more. I think Dana is a Top 40 coach. I think Brown is better and we can do better. WVU is not elite, but we do generate a ton of revenue and can pay for a Top 10-25 level coach without issue. Brown will make good money and we can afford to pay him close to the $5 million range if he does well. $5 million is right around the 10th highest paid in the country.

I will say this as well. Since Rich left, our fanbase has been divided on our coach. You had Stewart (RIP), HCIW Dana fiasco, etc... Brown will be the first coach in a while that unites the fanbase. Young, energetic, innovative, etc... He will do well.

Funny thing is wvu fans jept saying no to Doc (among multiple reasons) "he uikt his career at MU taking NQ's."

Yet you guys hired a coach who takes more NQ's than he does.

You also have a very passionate fanbase with very high expecations. How long do you think they will give him to start winning before wanting to run him out of town?

All eerdiots on board with the hire?? I like the sound of that!!

Of this I am certain. Prior to four or five days ago, 95% of Spamites could not:

- Tell you what division Troy was in
- Tell you what conference Troy was in
- Tell you what state Troy was in.
- Tell you any conference mate of Troy
- Tell you Troy's record last year
- Tell you where Brown played college ball
- Tell you on which "coaching trees" Brown is on
- Tell you Troy's mascot, team colors, or nickname
- Tell you the type of offensive scheme Brown favors
- Tell you the type of defensive scheme Brown favors
- Tell you the name of one player on Troy's team
- Recognize Brown if he tried to give them a Jehovah's Witness tract on their front step.

However most all are not on a first name basis with "Neal" and proclaim him as going to "do well". In a few months he will be proclaimed as "elite" and they all will be able to list a half dozen true elite jobs he supposedly turned down.

Of this I am also certain. Prior to last week, 95% of Spamites were perfectly fine with "Dana" and had no designs on HIM not being "elite", up for every true elite job, and ready to take them to the "next level" (whatever that means, since they are constantly telling us how great they are already.

Reactions: 19MU88
Of this I am certain. Prior to four or five days ago, 95% of Spamites could not:

- Recognize Brown if he tried to give them a Jehovah's Witness tract on their front step.

However most all are not on a first name basis with "Neal" and proclaim him as going to "do well". In a few months he will be proclaimed as "elite" and they all will be able to list a half dozen true elite jobs he supposedly turned down.

Of this I am also certain. Prior to last week, 95% of Spamites were perfectly fine with "Dana" and had no designs on HIM not being "elite", up for every true elite job, and ready to take them to the "next level" (whatever that means, since they are constantly telling us how great they are already.

Sounds a lot like when Holgrosen was hired. All we heard was how he was going to win a national title at WVU. That he was an offensive genius and QB guru.

Brown will not doubt be a good and maybe even great coach at WVU. However that's relative to wvu's history. He may be a consistent winner, but he will not be able to elevate wvu to the expectations that the fans have. If their benchmark is multiple BigXII titles and a national championship they are going to back here in a couple years wanting a new HC. Rich Rod took wvu to their pinnacle. Even he could only win their conference outright 1 time. No WVU HC has ever finished the season undefeated.

Rich Rod took wvu to their pinnacle. Even he could only win their conference outright 1 time. No WVU HC has ever finished the season undefeated.

But, as we pointed out to the Ears many, many times over on TiTM, this was due to the fact that they competed in the Big East 2.0. They only had to get up once or twice a year for big games. Otherwise, they played in a much softer version of what should have never been a BCS Conference.

he will not be able to elevate wvu to the expectations that the fans have. If their benchmark is multiple BigXII titles and a national championship they are going to back here in a couple years wanting a new HC
Kind of sounds like the same expectations I've read on this site by Herd fans.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
But, as we pointed out to the Ears many, many times over on TiTM, this was due to the fact that they competed in the Big East 2.0. They only had to get up once or twice a year for big games. Otherwise, they played in a much softer version of what should have never been a BCS Conference.

I was being nice and leaving that part out:D

Reactions: mlblack16.
Kind of sounds like the same expectations I've read on this site by Herd fans.

Sadly to a large degree. The difference is that Marshall has proven that it can be the alpha team in their conference. Yes eer fans it was the MAC and earlier I-AA, but our talent was relative to those conferences as yours was to the BE and now to the Big XII.

The common thread between both fan bases is that we don't appreciate what we have. Sure there is more to be desired, but it's not nearly as bad as it's made out to be.

I love you man! You’re the best. Keep it coming.

820.jpg

Reactions: TeenWolfChubby
yet you know he is correct.

and you are still here to see what MU fans think.

the sooner you realize you traded one G5 coach for another the better off you will be.

Reactions: The Real SamC
yet you know he is correct.

and you are still here to see what MU fans think.

the sooner you realize you traded one G5 coach for another the better off you will be.

Yep.

With the end of the holiday season and the resumption of normal activities by the WVU lap dog media, the non-alumni Spamites have been informed of the idiocy that must be accepted without analysis in order to continue as is. The new spamspew:

- "Dana" (all Spamites are on a first name basis with all WVU coaches, players and administrators, despite having never met any of them) was mediocre and this firing was in the works a long time. He was unable to get WVU to the next level, as WVU is very similar in potential to Alabama, Clemson, etc. He was offered life changing money from a crazy Houston booster. (Reality: Holgersen until last week was proclaimed as a super-genius by all Spamites, and completely out of the blue (a la DickRod) kicked WVU to the curb for what he considers a better job. In this case, Houston of the G5 AAC, which is probably the 4th or 5th most popular team in Houston. He was offered what he was offered and WVU, a non-self-supporting team that survives on subsidy, according to its own reports to the NCAA, could not match it. WVU will never make "the next level", it is a field filler in the lowest of the P5 conferences, there to take its whipping from Oklahoma and, now that it is shaking off the effects of its previous coach, Texas, which is all it will ever be. Until the next great realignment when it has every chance of returning to its mid-major roots. )

- "Neal" is a super-genius coach who was up for lots of jobs in the SEC and ACC. He will take WVU to "the next level". (Reality: KANSAS, yes, KANSAS, just hired Les Miles. WVU hired who it could get. A guy 95% of Spamites never heard of, from the Sun Belt Conference, which is generally accepted as the bottom of the 10 I-A conferences (not throwing shade, all 10 play solid football, but somebody has to be last) made up of teams that were I-AA a few years ago. He had 4 years there, meaning he was coaching the previous man's recruits. Troy's roster, if you look at it, is mostly SEC/ACC culls from Alabama, Mississippi and the Florida panhandle. That really does not translate into recruiting in WVU's unique geographical issue. He is another guy from the Hal Mummee UK Mildcat school of losing football.)

- Most importantly, MU is a "non-rival" and "does not matter". (Reality. Every time something bad happens to WVU, be it a coach kicking it to the curb for a G5 job, or yet another non-championship season, the thing to do is hit the Marshall boards, and see what we think. Because all Spamites are totally fixated upon Marshall, its truly special fan base and its exceptional sports programs built by fan loyality literally from ashes. Total petty jealousy. And total hatred, because, WE, alone among the people they interact with, know, and are not afraid to say, that the idiocy they believe, have to believe, in order to not walk away from "their" non-special, field filler never won a thing, program, is BS. )

Go Herd.

Last night on Metronews sportsline, the 'Near sportscasters actually said, & I'm not making this up, that the reason a kid would pick The Ohio State over wvu is because they hear Marshall fans making fun of wvu.

Since this site is no longer about Marshall.....did anybody catch the Blackhawks, Pens game last night? Mods...maybe you can get Iron City Beer to be sponsor.

Reactions: GreenDuke
Last night on Metronews sportsline, the 'Near sportscasters actually said, & I'm not making this up, that the reason a kid would pick The Ohio State over wvu is because they hear Marshall fans making fun of wvu.

The level of delusion, on the part of the callers, and thus the ability to tell people who will believe anything things no one can believe, on the part of the not-from-here hosts (who are laughing at what they get by with) on the metronews statewide excuse line is the largest in sports.

Yes, a kid with a choice to play at one of the Little 8, in a well papered and still a third empty after a couple losses 60K seat Puss Stadium, filled with a fan base known for misbehavior and fairweatheredness, for the never national champions with such great rivalries as, nobody, and get a degree from a viturally open admissions college; over the opportunity to play in the Big 10, in a sold out Horseshoe before 104,000, beofre one of the great and special fanbases in the nation, for the eight time national champions, in great national rivalries like Michigan with AAU level academics, picks the latter not because of any of that, but because mean ole people on the mega-influtential marshall boards.

Yep. THAT is the kind of delusion one must have to follow WVU. And why I don't.

The level of delusion, on the part of the callers, and thus the ability to tell people who will believe anything things no one can believe, on the part of the not-from-here hosts (who are laughing at what they get by with) on the metronews statewide excuse line is the largest in sports.

Yes, a kid with a choice to play at one of the Little 8, in a well papered and still a third empty after a couple losses 60K seat Puss Stadium, filled with a fan base known for misbehavior and fairweatheredness, for the never national champions with such great rivalries as, nobody, and get a degree from a viturally open admissions college; over the opportunity to play in the Big 10, in a sold out Horseshoe before 104,000, beofre one of the great and special fanbases in the nation, for the eight time national champions, in great national rivalries like Michigan with AAU level academics, picks the latter not because of any of that, but because mean ole people on the mega-influtential marshall boards.

How about that Kansas, a basketball school, signed a BCS championship level coach.

wvu...a self proclaimed football school, got a divisional co-champion coach from a low G5.

WVU fans should take a page from The Joan and fill up Milan Puskar on the reg.... said no one ever, except Sam C's internal voice beating himself off..

Reactions: countryroads89
Funny thing is wvu fans jept saying no to Doc (among multiple reasons) "he uikt his career at MU taking NQ's."

Yet you guys hired a coach who takes more NQ's than he does.

Um what? When was Doc ever a candidate for the job? NQs aren't a factor in the Big 12 so what does this have to do with anything?

Um what? When was Doc ever a candidate for the job? NQs aren't a factor in the Big 12 so what does this have to do with anything?

It had always been speculated there was a chance Doc may go back up there. Enough to have some close to the football team, posting about it.
NQ's aren't a factor, yet their new coach, has used a ton of them for his success...a parallel of our coach...yet the same thing said Doc would ultimately fail on as a move to the Big 12 (no NQ's) is the same thing Brown did, but is ignored by them anyway.
It has to do with everything.

I think WVU is in one of the most unique positions in NCAA geography wise and rep. I have always been a fan, First of Pitt, just because it is the "hometown" team. But with WVU a "unique" thing is they essentially are Western PA Pittsburgh coal region, but even Pittsburgh news largely neglects them, much less coverage than the much further PSU. They are the "state" school and get the support from the state but again even their closest population center "rejects" them.

You Guys as a state support your institutions but don't get the respect you deserve. For the Eers they have, since Nehlen, done some of the most with the least resources, Starting with 1988 team that was a wounded Major Harris from beating then "Alabama" like Notre Dame & a 13-9 improbable Pitt victory from getting a chance. Getting to the point, even though I got roughed up I wrote on their board a few years ago since the ACC turned their back they should have taken the Big East "leftovers" and a few more and bullied them into their own conference. WVU had/has enough credit to maybe not have made this new conference P5 but they would have increased the conference profile slightly. These left overs are now called the AAC. While the Big 12 compensates them more, I still believe the Eer's out of the last several years at least go on a few UCF runs, but I do think they would have actually had, if dominating enough with big OOC win, been given the shot UCF did not because WVU has had some good runs the last few decades. As some of you have said the BE was "barely" a P5 entity but historically got its shot because of the Miami's of old. Again it would have taken positive voting nationally, and ignoring a bigger paycheck. But they would have traded that for more interesting relatively localized competition, King of the hill status, and a relatively equal shot at the big game. 1 loss in AAC play vs. 1-2 losses, depending on whom you lose, in Big 12 seems to give you about the same shot until the playoff field expands.

I see some parallel in that DH left WVU for Houston, truly a Lateral move. Dana was not taking a step back, he actually probably does think he is improving and it can be argued he is. This is not unlike Rich Rod, with his offense and the perfect , white/slaton, puzzle pieces right away for his style. I actually think it will be more of what I saw a coach do at Bowling Green. In one year turn a 1-2 win team on its ear for 2 years and then go to Utah, about WVU level, and take them to greater heights, enough to get invite from PAC12. and that coach eventually moved on to the Florida & Ohio State closer to his roots. Coach Brown can do some nice things but, like Rich Rod will make move if successful but will go to a deeper pockets SEC type school considered a step above WVU "types". but not in reality a parallel move on the field of play talent and scheme wise.

I actually like Marshalls position. I think give Doc the support he still can make good "underdog" runs in Conference USA. An undefeated, but non National Champ run. Vs. a third place SEC type team. I also think he is settled, his vision of going back upstate is done, or is any move to go above. All that is needed now is the Friends of Coal to come back. Summarize a program like WVU is super solid, but ripe for picking as anyone in SEC or higher profile big daddy conferences. If he is any good they will be searching in a year or 2 like the rest of us, For continuity they may have to pull something out like a prodigal son that sowed his oats and can come back home and be contempt...in not too sour of breakup, Rich Rod?

he still can make good "underdog" runs in Conference USA

Fvck that. If we can't manage a Conference title more than once a decade, then he (Doc) just isn't a very good head coach. We have been in a position for years to have more than just underdog runs in the weak ass CUSA.

Reactions: raleighherdfan
Among the delusional statements I have heard in the last week:

"Neal" was the next coach at Auburn.

"Neal" was being groomed as Saban's successor in the "Alabama state system" (which does not exist, BTW). This defection has pushed by Saban's retirement plans.

"Neal" is going to bring Jalen Hurts.

"Neal" was very involved in Kelly Bryant.

Justin Field's decision came down to Ohio state and "us".

"Neal" 's salary is easy to cover because WVU makes so much money from the Big 12 (sic).

Following your team is great. Buying into stupid things that no one can believe, and ACTUALLY BELIEVING them, is delusion.

Among the delusional statements I have heard in the last week:

"Neal" was the next coach at Auburn.

"Neal" was being groomed as Saban's successor in the "Alabama state system" (which does not exist, BTW). This defection has pushed by Saban's retirement plans.

"Neal" is going to bring Jalen Hurts.

"Neal" was very involved in Kelly Bryant.

Justin Field's decision came down to Ohio state and "us".

"Neal" 's salary is easy to cover because WVU makes so much money from the Big 12 (sic).

Following your team is great. Buying into stupid things that no one can believe, and ACTUALLY BELIEVING them, is delusion.

I absolutely love the crap you make up... You are the prime example of when a media outlet quotes someone 'anonymous source'... you are usually the anonymous source. I don't think I have ever seen someone more full of shit than you are... goodness

It had always been speculated there was a chance Doc may go back up there. Enough to have some close to the football team, posting about it.
NQ's aren't a factor, yet their new coach, has used a ton of them for his success...a parallel of our coach...yet the same thing said Doc would ultimately fail on as a move to the Big 12 (no NQ's) is the same thing Brown did, but is ignored by them anyway.
It has to do with everything.

I love when people make stuff up and then say 'its coming from someone close to the team'.....

Doc was 100% never going to be the next WVU coach. Stop making things up.

Reactions: Stone_Cold
I love when people make stuff up and then say 'its coming from someone close to the team'.....

Doc was 100% never going to be the next WVU coach. Stop making things up.

Its strange how you hillbilly cousin lovers can read a McDonald's menu or where you're supposed to sit in wvu's stadium but fail against something of merit, like a book.

I said it has always been speculated...meaning it was suspected or spoken about. That does not mean it is certain. It was Tavaris Thompson who posted it and I imagine he wasn't the only one thinking it, if you need to know, you lazy c*cksucker.

Doc may not have had any intention to go but that doesn't stop rumors.

Now, do the world a favor and overdose on your crippling depression from realizing your team is an abject failure.

Its strange how you hillbilly cousin lovers can read a McDonald's menu or where you're supposed to sit in wvu's stadium but fail against something of merit, like a book.

I said it has always been speculated...meaning it was suspected or spoken about. That does not mean it is certain. It was Tavaris Thompson who posted it and I imagine he wasn't the only one thinking it, if you need to know, you lazy c*cksucker.

Doc may not have had any intention to go but that doesn't stop rumors.

Now, do the world a favor and overdose on your crippling depression from realizing your team is an abject failure.

You say speculation like it has any kind of merit. My 2 year old could say Doc Holiday and WVU in the same sentence and by your definition that would be speculation that Doc is going to WVU. Just put your tail between your legs and run off.. you lost this one

You say speculation like it has any kind of merit. My 2 year old could say Doc Holiday and WVU in the same sentence and by your definition that would be speculation that Doc is going to WVU. Just put your tail between your legs and run off.. you lost this one

Yet not a single thing I said was mentioned in your response.
It really shows you have nothing to say...and you haven't done a good job responding to others either using the same lazy tactic.
Then again, I take wvu fans as seriously as an animal dressed in human clothes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT